Christians, why does God give the Devil power?

DRODRO Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
Like, the devil can only do what god allows him to do, so why does god give the devil the power to temp, kill and destroy?....

When you think about it, its kinda crazy, cause...the god gives the devil power to try to over run you and basically send you to hell, but we as christians and people period are supposed to fight the power that satan has with the power that god has when allll of the power basically is steming from god....

Someone with real knowledge help me understand... Please..

Replies

• BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Look at the story a little more metaphorically. In its literal sense, none of the stories make any sense.
  • fiat_moneyfiat_money Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Because people like for stories to have an antagonist. But when the protagonist is too strong, the story becomes foolish.

Like how if Superman were kryptonite-proof, the story would be much less entertaining.

So an equivalent antagonist is needed.
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Is the power to temp, kill and destroy actually a "force" to be reckoned with in respect to the devil? I believe it's his own worst enemy. How does deceiving people reveal "the truth" to the devil? How does killing bring things to life and destroying build things up in the devil's perspective? I believe it doesn't and to be allowed to do so is only deceiving himself into thinking that he can accomplish some sort of order through those means.
  • Go figure...Go figure... Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    God created them with power in the beginning. Satan decided to do his own thing. Angels also have free will, which is why u have fallen angels. Therefore they have the free will to do what they want with their powers, and satan chooses to rebel and cause others to. its all his choice what he wants to do with his powers. it was never God's intention.

yes God allows satan some freedom but it is still his choice of what he does with it. disobeying God is what made us vulnerable to attacks by satan, us humans did it, not God. even with Job he didnt blame God for everything he went thru. God told satan do with him what u will but do not kill him so u see he allowed satan free will of his power but limited him from killing in this situation since the devil was out to prove to God that Job was only holy because God made him prosperous. the book of job was to show us that even tho satan has the powers to put us thru bullshit (especially the righteous) in the end it can help us to come closer to God. God knows how to always make good out of bad, and thru satan's attacks on us (temptation, trials, tribulations, etc) it causes sum to believe or look at things in a better way (ie Job).
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Same reason he doesn't just smite all evil humans.
  • truth spittertruth spitter Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Because people like for stories to have an antagonist. But when the protagonist is too strong, the story becomes foolish.

Like how if Superman were kryptonite-proof, the story would be much less entertaining.

So an equivalent antagonist is needed.

pretty much......
  • glowyglowy Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Same reason he doesn't just smite all evil humans.

Hasn't he already did something like that though?
  • VIBEVIBE The Man, The Myth, The Fommie Posts: 41,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Like, the devil can only do what god allows him to do, so why does god give the devil the power to temp, kill and destroy?....

When you think about it, its kinda crazy, cause...the god gives the devil power to try to over run you and basically send you to hell, but we as christians and people period are supposed to fight the power that satan has with the power that god has when allll of the power basically is steming from god....

Someone with real knowledge help me understand... Please..

What has the devil killed or destroyed?
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    He doesn't. That just the after effects of early christian apostates being exposed to zoroastrianism.
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopPosts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    The devil doesn't exist. Stop being gullible for Bible propaganda and think for yourself. If the devil does exist, he works hand in hand with god/s. A truly all loving and caring god would have destroyed this Satan creature a long time ago.

Would you let a child molester live in your home and molest your kids? Would you let a serial killer live with your mother and father? If you love your family, you wouldn't. A god that allows a devil to harm his children in so many ways cannot be a good god. Again, if the Bible god is real, he works with the devil, and supports him.
    edited April 2011
    A truly all loving and caring god would have destroyed this Satan creature a long time ago.

The first clue that the devil lives within was the flooding story.
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 6,697 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    What has the devil killed or destroyed?
    Job's family and associates, although maybe that counts as teamwork
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopPosts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    The first clue that the devil lives within was the flooding story.

Yep, proving once again the Biblical god is just as evil and cold hearted as Satan is.
  • VIBEVIBE The Man, The Myth, The Fommie Posts: 41,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    janklow wrote: »
    Job's family and associates, although maybe that counts as teamwork

I don't ever remember a time where 'the devil' has ever ordered or demanded a murder, or even murmured it. God straight up is brutal and demands murders and he gets the pass all the time, SMH @ the devil getting the bad rep. It seems the devil has a better personality than God, he can take a joke at least...

BTW, Silva v Okami in UFC 134, think it will take place?
    edited May 2011
    Yep, proving once again the Biblical god is just as evil and cold hearted as Satan is.

And we wanted to be just like them, knowing good and evil.
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 6,697 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    I don't ever remember a time where 'the devil' has ever ordered or demanded a murder, or even murmured it.
    well, i'm being flip as always because i refuse to discuss religion seriously, but if you DO take the OT seriously, then the devil can be fairly blamed for tons of death in Job (although you can still claim god was cool with it)
    BTW, Silva v Okami in UFC 134, think it will take place?
    absolutely, and i will predict that Silva gets his deserved revenge ... although Okami is a tough, if boring as hell, fighter, so i don't want to understate the challenge.
  • b*brazeb*braze Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    god dont give the devil power... men do