What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Is it better to do a full-body workout in a day?

BP OIL SPILL FACEBP OIL SPILL FACE Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Weight Room
Here's my workout routine, when I'm at my house(depending on the day):

50 jumping jacks
50 jogs
50 jumping jacks
50 jogs
1 set of 5 power clean and jerks(135 lbs)
1 set of 5 power clean and jerks(165 lbs)
1 set of 5 clean and snatches(115 lbs)
2 sets of 10 deadlifts(210 lbs)
1 set of 20 jumping squats(115 lbs)
1 set of 10 wide-grip military press squats(while squatting, you do the military press at the same time-115 lbs)
1 set of 10 close-grip military press squats(115 lbs)
2 sets of 15 barbell curls(115 lbs)
50 jumping jacks
50 jogs
50 jumping jacks
50 jogs

This is all in order, btw.I do deadlifts every 3 workouts and I started limiting the power cleans to every 3 workouts, as opposed to every workout like I used to. Is this a great routine or am I overworking my muscles too much?

Replies

• BP OIL SPILL FACEBP OIL SPILL FACE Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I forgot to mention that I just added the jumping jacks and jogs into my repertoire a couple weeks ago.
    horus
  • leftcoastkevleftcoastkev .....but anything else...Not My Job Beaches and Bridges, CAPosts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Personally I don't like doing full body workouts that involve all bodyparts on a continuous basis.

Again, and speaking only for myself, I find that my intensity for various lifts goes down when I'm hitting the same muscle groups repetitively throughout the without giving them at least 2 to 3 days rest. I find it easier to make gains in strength and muscle with the following routine:

Monday: Back/Biceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Tuesday: Rest (Cardio), a few sets of ab exercises later (i.e, knee lifts)
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Rest (Cardio)
    Friday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Saturday: Legs (Squats and Calve Raises only), Abs
    Sunday: Rest

Monday on back day, my forearms, triceps, and shoulders are getting hit as supporting muscles with all the rows/deads/pullups/shrugs I do. So They get to recover 3 days until Friday when I hit these directly.
    Between weighted dips, inclines, flat, and narrow grip bench my shoulders and triceps already get hit pretty hard so I may only do 2 isolation exercises for triceps and shoulders. From Friday, they get 2 days to rest until the cycle repeats.
    Same with lower body except I max out RDLs on Wednesday give'm 2 days rest and max out squats on Saturday (and they get 3 days of rest until the next session).

QUESTION:
    I've never done power cleans because I could never find a place for them in my routine. Are they very impactful on the joints?
    BelovedAfeni
  • BP OIL SPILL FACEBP OIL SPILL FACE Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Personally I don't like doing full body workouts that involve all bodyparts on a continuous basis.

Again, and speaking only for myself, I find that my intensity for various lifts goes down when I'm hitting the same muscle groups repetitively throughout the without giving them at least 2 to 3 days rest. I find it easier to make gains in strength and muscle with the following routine:

Monday: Back/Biceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Tuesday: Rest (Cardio), a few sets of ab exercises later (i.e, knee lifts)
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Rest (Cardio)
    Friday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps, 20 minutes cardio later on
    Saturday: Legs (Squats and Calve Raises only), Abs
    Sunday: Rest

Monday on back day, my forearms, triceps, and shoulders are getting hit as supporting muscles with all the rows/deads/pullups/shrugs I do. So They get to recover 3 days until Friday when I hit these directly.
    Between weighted dips, inclines, flat, and narrow grip bench my shoulders and triceps already get hit pretty hard so I may only do 2 isolation exercises for triceps and shoulders. From Friday, they get 2 days to rest until the cycle repeats.
    Same with lower body except I max out RDLs on Wednesday give'm 2 days rest and max out squats on Saturday (and they get 3 days of rest until the next session).

QUESTION:
    I've never done power cleans because I could never find a place for them in my routine. Are they very impactful on the joints?

Good drop...power cleans is an olympic lift that can give you a lot of power. Check out some of the power clean videos on YouTube; that's a geat workout.
  • truth spittertruth spitter Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Yea I'm not a fan of full body workouts unless u are a beginner or trying to lose fat.....
  • KLICHEKLICHE Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I'm not a fan of full body workouts unless u are a beginner or trying to lose fat.....

I'm a beginner.

Age 35. Been approx 15 years since lifted any weights for exercise.

So on my 7th session of full body workout exercises, but just some shit I found online, and I do them every 2nd day.

Feel good so far!

Not lifting very heavy, but feel l'm getting a good overall workout as next day and after it feel great. They're just the basic isolation and compound shit but with just dumbbells. Never gone to a gym, so is enough for me for now.
    formerly known as J.K.SHAKUR before 2010 on AHH

tumblr_n06dt22t491rqd0kpo1_r1_400.gif
  • AdelstenAdelsten Posts: 5
    If you feel ok, then I see no problems with such schedule. However I prefer to separate my workout in some aspects for several days :)