The Official 2011-2012 European Football Thread.

Replies

• GoonerGooner Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Figo wrote: »
    Gooner wrote: »
    545598489.jpg?key=648380&Expires=1337119843&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=OsDbDXZwtbtkmLvN92LXTrGsXjeFVGYqVShP5KfpYw44bWIpnU7re4zInKgtPHlVuvy5RWMPI9bNJBHsWCye52JaClz123YO2xc4f9yVM7Mi0-qRbV4xecI0YK4gJAQn3PHOw-uMhqaUe1mM9iUkYa3Ofv5blq5jxeYCZACK6y8_

come on son, dude just happy he finally won something on English soil. you can't knock dude for winning. its the same shit when ashley cole left arsenal, dude is a winner.

u read wat he said? total disrespect....u think im not happy for Kolo? clichy? there is no need for him to say wat he did...jus enjoy it....Hodgson really dropped micah richards? dude gets no respect frm england managers...and ur completely wrong abt y Ashley left Arsenal lol so im guessing ur jus tryna troll me

edited May 2012
    545598489.jpg?key=648380&Expires=1337119843&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=OsDbDXZwtbtkmLvN92LXTrGsXjeFVGYqVShP5KfpYw44bWIpnU7re4zInKgtPHlVuvy5RWMPI9bNJBHsWCye52JaClz123YO2xc4f9yVM7Mi0-qRbV4xecI0YK4gJAQn3PHOw-uMhqaUe1mM9iUkYa3Ofv5blq5jxeYCZACK6y8_

Bruh your team is going to be really good next season. Got Podolski and M'vila and perhaps another signing or two. Nasri is talking down I admit, but would you as a Arsenal fan excuse the mockery if he had stayed and said it if the gunners won the premier league this season?

i didnt want him to stay after finding out wat he was really upto...he was abt to sign then had a good 1st half of the season and thought he shud cash in...like i said he really wanted to go to united but city paid better...its kool tho coz like ade he will b getting loaned to spurs soon

Figo
    speaking of ade...lol this says it all

Gary ‏ @garyalsmith

Adebayor has quit the Togo national team for the 5th time in his career. His reason would be funny if it weren't so serious.
    Adebayor (@sheyiadebayor): "If it’s just a matter of wearing Togo jersey for the sake of patriotism, I’m not in for that." #africa

Gary ‏ @garyalsmith

Adebayor: "I’m not retiring from international football. I’ll come back when the conditions have improved." #africa
  • FigoFigo Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

come on son, dude just happy he finally won something on English soil. you can't knock dude for winning. its the same shit when ashley cole left arsenal, dude is a winner.

u read wat he said? total disrespect....u think im not happy for Kolo? clichy? there is no need for him to say wat he did...jus enjoy it....Hodgson really dropped micah richards? dude gets no respect frm england managers...and ur completely wrong abt y Ashley left Arsenal lol so im guessing ur jus tryna troll me

yeah i read it. but arsenal fans was murking him with pure disrespect so he just retaliated. i agree he soon will be a loaner.
    at the end of it all, wenger need to fucking step his philosophy up though. seems like the game is getting past him, and dude kinda bias. enough french players at arsenal.
  • joshuaboyjoshuaboy Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    speaking of ade...lol this says it all

Gary ‏ @garyalsmith

Adebayor has quit the Togo national team for the 5th time in his career. His reason would be funny if it weren't so serious.
    Adebayor (@sheyiadebayor): "If it’s just a matter of wearing Togo jersey for the sake of patriotism, I’m not in for that." #africa

Gary ‏ @garyalsmith

Adebayor: "I’m not retiring from international football. I’ll come back when the conditions have improved." #africa

Can't blame him for quitting. Last time he went to represent his country, he was nearly killed. Teammates were injured and a coach was killed. And to top it off, the ANC suspended Togo for a few years because they failed to TAKE PART in the tournament AFTER the incident. Fuk them.
    Figo

I don't blame Nasri as much. I know you feel it as an Arsenal fan, but he has been abused by Arsenal fans and other players over the season and now he has an opportunity to throw it back at then. Piers Morgan been hitting him hard on Twitter. That last 2 mins of the season quietened a lot of his critics.

And why do Arsenal people hate Ashley Cole so much for leaving, when you got William Gallas from Chelsea in the same deal? You think it was Cole wanting money or Wenger wanting another French man and getting rid of an English man? lol
    edited May 2012
    Nasri cud hav thrown shots at the ppl dissing him...instead he threw shots at the club...fuck him...and Cashley left for money...hes still a gooner too that jus shows u how much he loves the dough

wat we need to be talking abt is how Micah Richards isnt going to the Euros even w Walker out hurt....dude is the best RB they have and can play some decent CB too...if i was him i wudnt play for England again...all they do is disrespect dude

also rumors are that The Ox is going...even the biggest die hard arsenal fan wud tell u he doesnt deserve it... thing is England dont hav too many players who can change games single handedly
  • northside7northside7 Posts: 17,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nasri cud hav thrown shots at the ppl dissing him...instead he threw shots at the club...fuck him...and Cashley left for money...hes still a gooner too that jus shows u how much he loves the dough

wat we need to be talking abt is how Micah Richards isnt going to the Euros even w Walker out hurt....dude is the best RB they have and can play some decent CB too...if i was him i wudnt play for England again...all they do is disrespect dude

also rumors are that The Ox is going...even the biggest die hard arsenal fan wud tell u he doesnt deserve it... thing is England dont hav too many players who can change games single handedly

What u mean by Cashley still being a gooner?

About Ox, thats why I wanted him to go. Who right now on the squad jumps out as a threat?
  • northside7northside7 Posts: 17,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    The best XI from the 11/12 PL season

Goalkeeper:
    Joe Hart, Manchester City

Elsewhere, two Dutch goalkeepers stood out -- Tim Krul with a string of fine saves for Newcastle, and Michel Vorm as the league's best "footballing" goalkeeper.

Full backs:
    Kyle Walker, Tottenham Hotspur
    Leighton Baines, Everton

Bacary Sagna is probably the league's best right back but missed a long spell through injury, while Pablo Zabaleta was superb in City's run-in but started less than half his side's matches. Full back isn't currently blessed with great strength in depth on either side. Ashley Cole remains a very good player despite a shaky spell under Andre Villas-Boas, while Benoit Assou-Ekotto deserves more recognition for his consistency.

Center backs:
    Martin Skrtel, Liverpool
    Vincent Kompany, Manchester City

Other star center backs have included Fabricio Coloccini of Newcastle and Tottenham's Younes Kaboul, largely for their aerial ability, while less physical defenders like Laurent Koscielny and Jonny Evans have matured into fine players, highly respected by their set of fans.

Central midfielders:
    Mikel Arteta, Arsenal
    Yaya Toure, Manchester City

Michael Carrick took a few weeks to force his way into the Manchester United lineup but was never dropped because of his outstanding consistency, while Leon Britton recorded a better pass-completion rate than any player in the league in his first top-flight season. Luka Modric enjoyed another excellent season for Tottenham, while Yohan Cabaye has also been superb -- he's made more tackles than any other player and has a fine eye for a killer pass.

Wide midfielders:
    Antonio Valencia, Manchester United
    David Silva, Manchester City

Ramires has become a key player at Chelsea and seems to have become a right-sided midfielder, too. Sunderland's Sebastian Larsson also enjoyed a good campaign, scoring more free kicks than any other player. Juan Mata adapted superbly to the league but declined at roughly the same point Silva did, while Clint Dempsey came fourth in the Football Writers' Player of the Year award and may get a move to a bigger club.

Forwards:
    Sergio Aguero, Manchester City
    Robin van Persie, Arsenal

Wayne Rooney scored 27 goals in a consistent if unspectacular campaign, while Luis Suarez made headlines for the wrong reasons but was occasionally impossible to defend. Emmanuel Adebayor was the only player to get into double figures for both goals and assists, while Grant Holt scored 15 goals in 24 starts for a bottom-half club, bullying defenders and consistently making superb runs.

Manager:
    Alan Pardew, Newcastle

Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert were a breath of fresh air -- despite different soccer philosophies, both have a positive approach, and their sides (Swansea City and Norwich City) were never in danger of relegation.

What you guys think?
    northside7 wrote: »

About Ox, thats why I wanted him to go. Who right now on the squad jumps out as a threat?

Hes still a fan always has been he jus wntd to get paid...heard a few good stories of him helping out former arsenal staff families and shit too...but fuck him

yea exactly...who wud england want to bring a spark frm the bench...downing or Ox? even if he doesnt play much i think its good experience...hopefully this means no olympics for him

• dontdiedontkillanyondontdiedontkillanyon Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosario Dawson Rails on Moynihan Station: She’s Amtrak’s Biggest Fan Since Joe Biden

img_3396.jpg?w=600&h=400

“My oldest memory of riding the train? I don’t know, that’s hard,” Rosario Dawson told The Observer last Tuesday night. “I was born in Coney Island, but grew up on the Lower East Side, so we spent a lot of time on the F-Train, going to the beach. My dad used to wear his little shorts, and the knee-high socks. He was the most handsome guy on the entire boardwalk.”

And thus the country’s most beautiful railroad buff was born.

Ms. Dawson was standing inside a post office in Midtown, there for a four-course dinner at which she was the guest of honor. She wore a form-fitting black pant suit, ruffled black shirt and black pumps that had to be nine-inches long and sharper than a railroad tie.

img_3383.jpg?w=200&h=300

This was no ordinary post office, to be fair, but the Corinthian temple on Eighth Avenue known as the James Farley building, once Manhattan’s central post office, and certainly its grandest. From a staff of thousands, there is now a skeleton crew of about a hundred, which has freed up acres of space in the building for Moynihan Station. A dream since the early 1990s of the former New York senator for whom it is named, it will allow for the expansion of Penn Station across the avenue and out of the hell it has resided in for the past six decades, since Robert Moses destroyed the original Penn in 1963.

Amtrak and the Port Authority had assembled big wigs from both sides of the Hudson, and as far as Albany, Trenton and Washington, for a dinner to celebrate the awarding of a contract for the first phase of the station, to be ratified by a state agency the following morning. Construction is set to begin on the $267 million project this summer, work that will take four years to complete because the tracks below ground will be still for weekend nights only, and even then only 32 weeks out of the year.

Even then, the best the city will be left with is longer platforms, a new concourse and two entrances on the west of Eight Avenue. When the rest of the billion-dollar station, creating a grand new train hall inside the old post office, will commence is anyone’s guess. It was supposed to have begun at least twice by now.

“After 20 years of presentations, releases and announcements, we are finally moving forward with this important project, and I think we will all remember where we were when this happened,” Pat Foye, executive director of the Port Authority, told the assembled graybeards as they dug into their second course, crab cakes, available on Amtrak’s California Zephyr line, between Chicago and San Francisco.

It is a sad, even pathetic fate passenger rail suffers in America. It is said to be a pet project of President Obama, but wherever he sets out to fund a new tunnel or high-speed rail line, another Republican governor (Christie, Walker, Scott) kills it. The few dozen men and women assembled inside the Farley’s cavernous old sorting room, with its soaring skylight and massive steel trusses, maybe someday destined to be the new train hall, hope to stop them.

And so does Rosario Dawson. She may be the Official Spokesman for National Train Day, but she is also the most earnest train advocate The Observer has ever met who does not have a Lionel set in the basement (we asked). She went on a five-minute breathless tirade enthusing on rail travel during the main course, short ribs and pureed potatoes. She even starred in Unstoppable, a 2010 runaway-train film. This is no Campbell Soup campaign, this is National Hair Club—Rosario Dawson is not only a spokesman, but a rider, too.

“I love riding trains, I do it whenever I can,” she said. “In New York, I still ride the subway, sometimes. It’s so liberating not to be stuck in traffic. And I love taking Amtrak. You don’t have to deal with the hassle of security, and you can actually see the scenery, get up and move, the food is better, and the bathrooms are bigger than a closet. I just took it back from the White House Correspondents Dinner, and it’s so much fun to see everyone there on the train.”

The train is one of the biggest things Ms. Dawson misses since leaving New York. “That’s what I hate about L.A., the constant traffic. I really wish there were more trains.” (Actually there will be soon, thanks to a new sales tax funding $40 billion in mass transit over the next 30 years. That would fund two Second Avenue Subways or 15 7-Train extensions.)

Still, like many in the room last week, she was embarrassed by the state of American mass transit. “In London, where I live part time, I’m, across from King’s Cross Station,” Ms. Dawson explained. “I love watching the people come and go, to be able to get to Paris in a few hours. I had a friend headed up to Leicester, she invited me to dinner, I said, ‘Why not,’ hopped a train, was on the other side of England and still got back in time for a 6 a.m. shoot the next morning.”

“I really hope this new station can help bring people back to train travel, it’s so romantic and luxurious,” Ms. Dawson said. With her on board, how could it not?

http://observer.com/2012/05/15/rosario-dawson-rails-on-moynihan-station-shes-amtraks-biggest-fan-since-joe-biden/
  • bigev240bigev240 Brick City's Finest, South Jersey's Best Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is why doesn't Hodgson rate Richards. One of the best RB's in the EPL and he can cover in the CB spot but neither Capello and now Roy picks him. Its crazy.
  • CeLLaR-DooRCeLLaR-DooR Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This squad is full of inconsistencies...

No Rio, but Terry, Cahill, Lescott and Jones are in?...Can't be a fitness thing, Rio has played 3 times in 8 days many times this year...No Richards?...smh...If Roy is thinkin' that he's only takin' in-form players, what the fuck are Downing and the Ox doin' there?...How's the Ox gettin' in over Lennon?...No Crouch?..

Where the fuck is Carrick?...He's not even in the standby's...Jordan Henderson over Carrick in the extras...SMH
  • bigev240bigev240 Brick City's Finest, South Jersey's Best Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This squad is full of inconsistencies...

No Rio, but Terry, Cahill, Lescott and Jones are in?...Can't be a fitness thing, Rio has played 3 times in 8 days many times this year...No Richards?...smh...If Roy is thinkin' that he's only takin' in-form players, what the fuck are Downing and the Ox doin' there?...How's the Ox gettin' in over Lennon?...No Crouch?..

Where the fuck is Carrick?...He's not even in the standby's...Jordan Henderson over Carrick in the extras...SMH

They might get out of the group but thats it. I don't see this team doing anything else.
    In fairness, Sir Alex did discourage him from taking Rio, saying he couldn't play two games in 4 days. The back line looks pretty good already.

But Downing? HOW????
    Nah man...Take your best players...Its not a league season, where you need to be slow and steady...its a sprint...2/3 weeks...Who would you want to mark RVP, Soldado and Klose?...Even if he plays 2 group games then plays the knockouts...

And no Carrick?..really I can't believe it...Only in England could a player like Carrick not be rated
    I'm not saying I agree with the decision but that could be a factor. Plus how would he and Terry get along? Would they be able to function together?
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    I'm not saying I agree with the decision but that could be a factor. Plus how would he and Terry get along? Would they be able to function together?

But Rio's had a better season than Terry...Also, if squad harmony was a factor, takin' Terry over Rio is a joke...Considerin' that Terry was the guilty party...
    Gerrard named Captain.

Not good. Last time he was named Captain things didn't turn out so well.

Dalglish fired!!!

But Rio's had a better season than Terry...Also, if squad harmony was a factor, takin' Terry over Rio is a joke...Considerin' that Terry was the guilty party...

AtBhEr5CQAAmTWo.jpg

lol

Terry? Guilty of what? :-B
    dontdiedontkillanyon
    Drogba to Barca????

Well?...

Something was floating around last night that Barca was interested in giving him a 2 yr contract.

AtBhEr5CQAAmTWo.jpg

lol

Terry? Guilty of what? :-B

Racially abusin' Anton Ferdinand...

Barcelona ready to make shock swoop for free agent Drogba

Barcelona have joined the race to sign Didier Drogba on a free transfer from Chelsea.

The Spanish giants are ready to offer the veteran striker a two-year contract to beat off interest from China, Milan or the USA, according to The Sun.

Chelsea have also offered Drogba, aged 34, a new two-year deal.

But the Ivory Coast star is out of contract in the summer and could quit the Blues after the Champions League final against Bayern Munich on Saturday.

New Barcelona boss Tito Vilanova, who will succeed Pep Guardiola after the Copa Del Rey final against Athletic Bilbao next week, wants Drogba to bolster his attacking options.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2145097/Barcelona-eye-Chelsea-striker-Didier-Drogba.html#ixzz1v31GWxZG