What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Sion's How To Invest Thread [Everything you need to invest properly and much more...]

Replies

• elgatoelgato Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Sion what are you thoughts on the Software As a Service (SaaS) stocks? Tech indexes?
    traestarQiv_Owan
  • Qiv_OwanQiv_Owan Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    elgato wrote: »
    @Sion what are you thoughts on the Software As a Service (SaaS) stocks? Tech indexes?

Commodities also (silver, gold, copper, etc)
    tumblr_m5ems1iw2F1qi26lwo1_500.gif
    rs_640x360-160619194524-game_of_thrones-battle_of_the_bastards-6_55_33_pm_-_6_55_37_pm-2016-06-19.gif
  • LUClENLUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Sion what is your view of technical analysis, chart interpretation, and quantitative finance? I grabbed a book on Japanese Candle Stick Charting and it's interesting, but a lot of people in finance have mixed views about its accuracy. What is your take on that kind of market analysis?
    The rapper from linkin park would body the dudes in the xxxtentacion cypher
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 44,636 Regulator
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Hey @Sion what is your view of technical analysis, chart interpretation, and quantitative finance? I grabbed a book on Japanese Candle Stick Charting and it's interesting, but a lot of people in finance have mixed views about its accuracy. What is your take on that kind of market analysis?

It's a pseudoscience. People have mixed views because you can't look at a chart, candlesticks, resistance levels, wavelengths or any of the jargon or terms they make up and determine if a company is a good investment or not. And what's crazy is that there's a following behind it.

I'd say to toss the book in the garbage no diss. I mean you can go ahead and read it but you're wasting your time which you'll prolly figure out by the time you get to the end of the book.

You can't use technical analysis to dictate where economies, markets, bonds or businesses are going.
    IC Moderator and AHH Editor

http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/site-help

^^^ If you need anything go here

jono wrote: »
    This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Message to the trills of the IC: May Legion Of Trill be your enemies downfall
    Qiv_OwanLUClEN
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 44,636 Regulator

@elgato

I'm not for or against them, they've been around for a long time (IBM, Blackberry, Cisco, Oracle, etc) you're going to start seeing many more companies like that. However, let time show me who the winners and stable companies are.

I'm all for a tech index like the NASDAQ or index funds that track the NASDAQ, or other prominent tech indexes. They can be terrific methods to outperform the pros and make a lot of money over time.

This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
    elgato
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Commodities also (silver, gold, copper, etc)

@Qiv_Owan

I don't invest in commodities like silver or gold or copper because they're worthless as investments. See if I bought a piece of gold and stuck it under my bed and waited 50 years and pulled it would still be the same bar of gold but at the market price of gold (whatever that might be). Contrary to belief they don't fight inflation, they're a hedge against ignorance and that's not good enough to me as an investment.

The main reason I stay away from mining companies and commodities the best I can is because in the event of a downturn, those kinds of businesses can't raise the price of their product because it's regulated by the market not by them. Wal-Mart can raise prices in the event of inflation or just because to increase their profits and you can't do anything about it. But the price of gold can fall and a mining gold company can't do anything about that but take the losses.

Now I may invest in oil and gas but that's where I draw the line since they're slightly different and better financed. For me to invest in a mining company the story would have to be so compelling and valuations so spectacular it'd make cents to do it....

killap_Jay
  • GentmanGentman Posts: 15 ✭✭
    @Sion since you mentioned oil and gas, do have any current favorite picks or holdings in this sector? I'm looking to invest more in energy companies and this seems the perfect time to get in.

BTW investing in Atwood Oceanics was a very bold move. The balance sheet was clean, but their contract backlog was really poor. If Ensco had not come to the rescue, they would have probably gone out of business in 2018. ATW stock was also heavily shorted though there were rumours that ATW would be a potential takeover candidate, so props on making the right call on this high risk, high reward play. Transocean and Rowan Companies are also interesting companies in the offshore drilling sector due to superior backlog and fleet respectively, but I think it's not yet the time to invest in them. Onshore will recover first before offshore does.
    Sion
  • elgatoelgato Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    @Sion when do you plan on exercising your Bank of America / Wells Fargo warrants? I'm confused as to when's the best time to exercise those.

Not yet, the Bank of America warrants I'll exercise in late December 2018 before Xmas tho. They expire in January 2019. The Wells Fargo warrants I'll probably exercise summer 2018 (they expire October 2018).

@Sion With Bank of America's announcement of a dividend increase, does that impact when you'll excercise the warrants? I don't get what the criteria is for when one should/shouldn't exercise them.
    traestar
  • LUClENLUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a pseudoscience. People have mixed views because you can't look at a chart, candlesticks, resistance levels, wavelengths or any of the jargon or terms they make up and determine if a company is a good investment or not. And what's crazy is that there's a following behind it.

I'd say to toss the book in the garbage no diss. I mean you can go ahead and read it but you're wasting your time which you'll prolly figure out by the time you get to the end of the book.

You can't use technical analysis to dictate where economies, markets, bonds or businesses are going.

So you think this is bogus? I haven't finished the book yet but the author's arguments seem to hold based on the data sets he chooses. Although, I don't have the means right now to confirm this with other data

19425220_309730236138252_8444176102192054272_n.jpg
    The rapper from linkin park would body the dudes in the xxxtentacion cypher

So you think this is bogus? I haven't finished the book yet but the author's arguments seem to hold based on the data sets he chooses. Although, I don't have the means right now to confirm this with other data

19425220_309730236138252_8444176102192054272_n.jpg

I know it's hard to believe but that's the truth. Buffett himself denounced it in the 2007 annual letter. Look fam you can't use complexity mathematics to figure out what a company is worth and/or what the price will be next day, next week or year. They'll argue they're trying to find the arithmetic pattern but there's no such thing.

You can go through the book but by the end of it you'll see what I mean (hopefully). No hate that's my objective analysis.

@Sion when do you plan on exercising your Bank of America / Wells Fargo warrants? I'm confused as to when's the best time to exercise those.

Not yet, the Bank of America warrants I'll exercise in late December 2018 before Xmas tho. They expire in January 2019. The Wells Fargo warrants I'll probably exercise summer 2018 (they expire October 2018).

@Sion With Bank of America's announcement of a dividend increase, does that impact when you'll excercise the warrants? I don't get what the criteria is for when one should/shouldn't exercise them.

I will exercise them near end of 2018 (December) or early January. I believe the exercise date is mid January 2019. The criteria is simple, the higher the strike price and dividend the better. Typically warrants trade at full value or a premium the closer they are to their respective exercise dates.

Gentman wrote: »
    @Sion since you mentioned oil and gas, do have any current favorite picks or holdings in this sector? I'm looking to invest more in energy companies and this seems the perfect time to get in.

BTW investing in Atwood Oceanics was a very bold move. The balance sheet was clean, but their contract backlog was really poor. If Ensco had not come to the rescue, they would have probably gone out of business in 2018. ATW stock was also heavily shorted though there were rumours that ATW would be a potential takeover candidate, so props on making the right call on this high risk, high reward play. Transocean and Rowan Companies are also interesting companies in the offshore drilling sector due to superior backlog and fleet respectively, but I think it's not yet the time to invest in them. Onshore will recover first before offshore does.

This is true and yes I do have a super long list but very few are businesses I am actually considering Investing in. Some of these names are PetroChina, Imperial Oil, and Total SpA. The rest aren't worthwhile or aren't at as attractive levels. Imperial Oil I like a lot.

I agree 100% with onshore recovering first, typically it's been that way. My concern is all the debt these companies incurred during the last 5-6 years. Many offshore guys or midstream companies (Seadrill for example) were putting up amazing numbers off the strength of debt and so it wasn't even managerial brilliance but leverage that made them look better than they actually were. That's why I have a long list of companies but very few are as attractive.

• 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 30,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oil speculation is crazy today..

low supplies?

really?

@Cinco
    you see this?
    you have the dude who is naturally thorough -Alpha
    you have the dude that wants to be thorough so he pretend to be Alpha -Beta
    then you have the nigga who wants to hang with the first two to be seen and grab any dropped crumbs.- Omega

I am still struggling between blocks to get from the have nots to the have yachts and I won't be stopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhTZZdVbjio

• CincoCinco Real Nigga Minerals Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oil speculation is crazy today..

low supplies?

really?

@Cinco
    you see this?

I can't believe anything about Low supply when we still have a glut of inventory!
    I've just accepted that the futures going to be erratic smh
    @2stepz_ahead @Sion

Whats the best gold stock? I found ABX, GG, and Randgold I think it was

I was gonna go with the lowest priced one but does it matter which company?
    rs_640x360-160619194524-game_of_thrones-battle_of_the_bastards-6_55_33_pm_-_6_55_37_pm-2016-06-19.gif
    @2stepz_ahead @Sion

Whats the best gold stock? I found ABX, GG, and Randgold I think it was

I was gonna go with the lowest priced one but does it matter which company?

Just the heads up - Most gold companies are poorly managed and terribly run. But there are some decent ones out there if you do your homework. Look for companies trading at low price to book value that have been profitable for at least 5 consecutive years.

Qiv_Owan
    Damn are you positive one of those exists
  • dwade206dwade206 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not crazy about gold. The returns aren't impressive.
    Bustin a new nut on @R.D's moms collarbone everyday.
    Sion
    Damn are you positive one of those exists

It's very tough to find in that industry but they do exist.

• _Jay_Jay Posts: 3,449 My Name Is My Name.
    A PART OF ALL YOU EARN IS YOURS TO KEEP

just finished reading "The Richest Man In Babylon." great read

..................ROLL DAMN TIDE

@JayChillinBro
    SionFosheezy
    _Jay wrote: »
    A PART OF ALL YOU EARN IS YOURS TO KEEP

just finished reading "The Richest Man In Babylon." great read

CLASSIC CLASSIC BOOK

That's a book I can read over and over again and it still feels like the first time absolutely incredible book :+1:

_Jay
  • _Jay_Jay Posts: 3,449 My Name Is My Name.
    edited July 24
    Hasbro (HAS) is down by almost 9% today, cuz of their earnings (which was all good news WTF)...its stock price is currently $106.41

but I can't add more atm, because I initiated a position with this company when the stock was at $70 :grimace: LMFAO

..................ROLL DAMN TIDE

@JayChillinBro
    Sion
  • dasmooth1dasmooth1 Posts: 156 ✭✭
    _Jay wrote: »
    Hasbro (HAS) is down by almost 9% today, cuz of their earnings (which was all good news WTF)...its stock price is currently $106.41

but I can't add more atm, because I initiated a position with this company when the stock was at $70 :grimace: LMFAO

Benjamin Graham did say that Mr Market is schizophrenic lol
    _JaySion
    Snapchat is down to 13.89...I give them 4 months before Facebook buys them out
    Snapchat is down to 13.89...I give them 4 months before Facebook buys them out

Yooooooooo iuno why for the longest I thought they already owned them but apparently they turned down the first deal shhhiiieeeett