What is the world's best selling rap album of all time???

2»

Replies

• $MiamiDade$$MiamiDade$ Posts: 26
    edited April 2010
    ambiguous1 wrote: »
    double album, gets counted times 2.. so if it sold 10mil it registers and 20mil.... if i'm not mistaken

It really sold 5 million but since it was a double disk they count it twice
  • ambiguous1ambiguous1 Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2010
    It really sold 5 million but since it was a double disk they count it twice

yea exactly i was just us8ing 10/20mil as an example but i know the top selling album really wasnt Speaker/Love or Life A Death
  • gman82gman82 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Double disc are counted as 2 times in sells but the double disc such as All eyes on me, Life after death, Wu tang forever, art of war, ect that came out in the 90's cost twice the price as 1 disc. I remember buying all eyes on me for around $20, not $10 which is about the price of a single disc. Now the double disc that Jay, Nas, outkast, ect put out only cost the price of a single disc. I think the double disc that are the price of 2 cd's should count as double because your paying for 2 cd's. Now the ones that aren't should only count as one. Outkast should only be 5.5 million, jay 1.5 million, ect. 2pac, Big, Wu, Bone, ect. should have the same sales that they are credited for. Just my opinion.
  • KingNativeKingNative Posts: 135
    edited April 2010
    Pac is the highest selling Hip Hop artist of all time.

Makaveli 7 day theory is the biggest selling hip hop album=It's 30 million deep.

All Eyes On Me is 25 million!!!
  • a posting apea posting ape Posts: 335
    edited April 2010
    haha, a few people have some things mixed up
    s
    1) double albums are counted as 2 albums sold. BUT the total is the amount they sold, already doubled. so when it says speakerboxxx/love below sold 10 million, that means it really sold 5 million (counted twice). same thing goes for biggies double CD
    2) to put this to rest: eminem has surpassed 2pac in sales. the RIAA awarded him just recently with that title (highest selling rap artist)
    3) there is no "worldwide sales" counter. the US, EU, and Canada all have sales counters, as do a few other countries. but a lot of them don't, or do, but we have no real means of accessing them. so worldwide figures are just estimated guesses in reality
  • nyniccanynicca Posts: 877
    edited April 2010
    Eminems the highest selling rapper world wide im sorry but the racist outsold the dry snitch ballerina blk folks get over it
    edited April 2010
    Highest selling rap albums is #1 miseducation of lauryn hill 2. Will smith big willie style 3. Tupac aeom but pacs a double so i dont count that shit
  • KingNativeKingNative Posts: 135
    edited April 2010
    nynicca wrote: »
    Highest selling rap albums is #1 miseducation of lauryn hill 2. Will smith big willie style 3. Tupac aeom but pacs a double so i dont count that shit

No there not.It's Makaveli.Please do your research!!!
  • KLICHEKLICHE Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    but shouldn't be any fuss with counting a double album as double right? I mean any artists by choice can release a double album.. and double is 2, so counted as 2 albums.. seems pretty clear cut to me.. so if indeed a double album was highest selling, no big deal. right?
    edited April 2010
    KingNative wrote: »
    [/B]
    No there not.It's Makaveli.Please do your research!!!

uh no its not my list correct
  • youngnickyoungnick Posts: 482 ✭✭
    edited April 2010

You're list might be correct for U.S. sales only. Those three albums are only credited for their U.S. sales of about 10 mill each.
  • rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    The Highest Selling Rap Albums Worldwide are between The Fugees, Lauryn Hill, Tupac, Biggie and Eminem:

The Score: 20 Million WW
    MMLP: 19 Million WW
    LAD: 18 Million WW
    AEOM: 17 Million WW
    M-EOLH: 17 Million WW

The myth that "Makaveli" Sold 30 Millon WW was disproven by Billboard and RIAA. The court documents saying that was just the plaintiff trying to inflat Pac's sales to get more money from the lawsuit. "Makaveli" sold 10 Million WW, 4 Million Domestic and 6 Million WW. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below sold 16 Million WW. Hammer, Beastie Boys, Will Smith and Nelly sold upward of 9/10 Million in the states but their worldwide sales lacked in comparison to the others. The definitive "Highest Selling Album Worldwide" can not be determined cause the sales of the top contenders can't be 100% verfied. Yes after "Relapse" Eminem did surpass Pac as the highest selling rapper of all time (SMH, I hope your happy White America, I mean you did make sure Encore sold 5 Million though it was one of the weakest albums in rap history) But published reports again have The Fugees, Lauryn, Pac, Biggie and Eminem being the Top album sellers. As for the Double Album Credit, Biggie and Pac albums were basically 25 dollars when they came out. over 10 Million disc were sold so they should get the credit they deserve. Making a Double album is harder than making a single. Now in my honest opinion though it's a Classic album, Outkast should not have gotten the Diamond Credit cause the album was retailed at 10 Dollars when it came out, come on now?
  • jay83jay83 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Didnt 50 cent break a record for best sales in a week or something like that?
    edited April 2010
    jay83 wrote: »

Yes he broke the record for most sales in the least amount of days (4) but the Highest Selling Weeks in Hip Hop History are:

#1 Eminem
    #2 50 Cent
    #3 Lil Wayne
    #4 Eminem
    #5 Kanye West
    #6 50 Cent
    #7 Snoop Dogg
    #8 The Notorious B.I.G.
    #9 Eminem
    #10 Jay Z
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,221 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    jay83 wrote: »

for a rapper he may have, I think Em may hold this title...highest sales in a week in all music genre's though is Nsync's No Strings Attached that sold 2.2 million the first week
    edited April 2010
    The Highest Selling Rap Albums Worldwide are between The Fugees, Lauryn Hill, Tupac, Biggie and Eminem:

The Score: 20 Million WW
    MMLP: 19 Million WW
    LAD: 18 Million WW
    AEOM: 17 Million WW
    M-EOLH: 17 Million WW

The myth that "Makaveli" Sold 30 Millon WW was disproven by Billboard and RIAA. The court documents saying that was just the plaintiff trying to inflat Pac's sales to get more money from the lawsuit. "Makaveli" sold 10 Million WW, 4 Million Domestic and 6 Million WW. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below sold 16 Million WW. Hammer, Beastie Boys, Will Smith and Nelly sold upward of 9/10 Million in the states but their worldwide sales lacked in comparison to the others. The definitive "Highest Selling Album Worldwide" can not be determined cause the sales of the top contenders can't be 100% verfied. Yes after "Relapse" Eminem did surpass Pac as the highest selling rapper of all time (SMH, I hope your happy White America, I mean you did make sure Encore sold 5 Million though it was one of the weakest albums in rap history) But published reports again have The Fugees, Lauryn, Pac, Biggie and Eminem being the Top album sellers. As for the Double Album Credit, Biggie and Pac albums were basically 25 dollars when they came out. over 10 Million disc were sold so they should get the credit they deserve. Making a Double album is harder than making a single. Now in my honest opinion though it's a Classic album, Outkast should not have gotten the Diamond Credit cause the album was retailed at 10 Dollars when it came out, come on now?

3_D movies are more expensive to see than 2-D movies so should "how to catch a dragon" be counted as double the money making profit because its more expensive to see and at that time cds cost 17.99 sometimes 19.99 in stores in manhattan as virgin records so 25.99 is not that much more
  • a posting apea posting ape Posts: 335
    edited April 2010
    blackrain wrote: »
    for a rapper he may have, I think Em may hold this title...highest sales in a week in all music genre's though is Nsync's No Strings Attached that sold 2.2 million the first week

actually the beatles broke that record a few months later, by selling 3 million in one week
    its crazy that we'll never see that kinda numbers again, though
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,221 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    actually the beatles broke that record a few months later, by selling 3 million in one week
    its crazy that we'll never see that kinda numbers again, though

I thought Nsync held the record when the hit 1million the first day and topped 2 million by the end of their first week...I never heard of anybody else breaking that record for most albums sold in 1 week

*edit...the Beatles album you're talking about sold 3.2 million over 13 days
    edited April 2010
    3_D movies are more expensive to see than 2-D movies so should "how to catch a dragon" be counted as double the money making profit because its more expensive to see and at that time cds cost 17.99 sometimes 19.99 in stores in manhattan as virgin records so 25.99 is not that much more

"Avatar" is the highest grossing movie of all time but it did not sell more tickets than the original "Star Wars" cause of the 3D ticket sales. The point is Big and Pac's double retailed very high when they were release, almost double of a normal CD price. They gave two disc of material. 10 Million Disc were sold:

Disc 1 - 5 Million
    Disc 2 - 5 Million

Why should an artist who put in more work, more time an energy into an album not recieve more credit than the one that only did one album and put in less time?. It seems people only want to give an album credit for 1 disc when it's clear there were two. Again I don't make the rules but them albums are Diamond any way you slice it.
2»