Inflation kicking in....prices of consumer goods rising

Replies

• kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 8,289
    edited March 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    Bush is one of the worst, if not the worst, American president of all time.
    SUCH HYPERBOLE

James Buchanan is the worst president of all time. Bush II should at least only start getting rated once we get a LITTLE further beyond his presidency.

James Buchanan? Why him? He was the president just before Lincoln right?
    edited March 2012
    sionb55 wrote: »
    I always thought you were from Canada?
    yeah, i still don't understand why you think this. is it because i always say Canada is very clean and totally awesome? or because i say all Americans are terrible people? still a mystery.
    I'm watching Fox News now and they are saying Obama has raised more debt in his 4 years than Bush did in 8.
    i THINK, without digging into the numbers, that Bush raised it something like 4.9 trillion and Obama raised it something like 4.3 trillion, so Bush would have raised it MORE, but Obama raised it FASTER. or something like that.

I could've sworn you said once before you live in Canada, but I've been to Canada twice, I can safely say it is a lovely nation and has great people. America for the most part has great people too, a TON of fucked up people though.....

As far as Obama's debt pile up, it's still disappointing he's raised the debt so much. As Occupy Wall Street eloquently says all the time, Democrats and Republicans are both part of the problem. Republicans are worse but Obama is too much like Bush for my liking, especially when it comes to his war spending (which is disgraceful and pathetic)

@ bolded aahhh shucks fam lolol.... Canada >>> America....

@ the Obama shit.... that is NOT true, that shit is FAR from the truth. In 8 years Bush shot debt levels to historic highs. Obama inherited the debt that Bush put on America and actually has lowered it MUCH more than Bush did (Bush NEVER even attempted to lower debt), the only thing Bush did was make the rich - richer at your expense & own Welfare. Bush is WHY your country lost it's reputation and fell into dire financial strain.

Canada probably is a better place to live than America these days. You guys have a public option for healthcare right?? That or a much cheaper healthcare system than America's, at least that's what I've heard.....

As far as Obama I know he's inherited a ton of debt, 10 trillion I believe. Bush is one of the worst, if not the worst, American president of all time. With that being said, what do you mean Obama has lowered the debt? The debt is at 16 trillion now.....

Obama is NOT responsible for the U.S. debt problem. And the U.S. dont have to worry about their debt loads b/c they have an incredible economy w/ strong industries all across the board, thats highly productive & becoming far stronger than befor. They dont have to worry also b/c the cost of their debt is at a historic low. Countries like Japan are running 200% debt to GDP and haven't crashed and burned. But as I've said countless times b4, it takes a long time to turn around a 15 trillion dollar economy. But at the end of the day something that has been true since 1776 is America's best days are ahead.

Can you at least admit Obama is partially responsible for the debt problem?? An endless war in Afghanistan that we can't afford is still going on bro!!!! Come on!!! Obama is at least partially responsible for the debt problem. He also took his sweet ass time leaving Iraq, going by BUSH's timetable.....

Japan hasn't crashed and burned but they have a huge generation of adults living with their parents because things are so expensive over there, just like America. Inflation does cause massive problems, raising the cost of living by so much due to constant printing of dollars that aren't benefiting us in the long run is always a problem. That's the reason why I'm skeptical if America's best days are ahead, I talk to many young people and older people, and most would disagree with you. Cost of living for housing is through the roof these days, and it's not gonna go down in the future lol. Many places in America have cheap housing but not most! Not based on articles I read....I do believe America is still a great country overall and can possibly rebound in a much stronger way, but reading the newspapers doesn't leave me very optimistic some days. You know a lot about economics though so maybe I'm just thinking negative but again, the news reports are pretty scary.

Well Obama is not responsible tho, if he was I'd say so. He inherited America at its weakest point in a very very long time and has been doing his best (and done extremely well) to help the country. I dont think u understand the magnitude of how fucked up the U.S. could of been if he let the banks fail or how hard it is to drop unemployment 40% from its highs since taking over a 15 trillion dollar economy. He ended the war in Afghanistan but its a progress to get troops out. Hes doing the best he can but people have to work with him.

& LOLOL dude in Japan thats just a cultural thing thats not b/c of economic malaise LOLOL. In Europe and India it's normal to be in your 30s or 40s as a male and still live with your parents. Inflation is bad true but in the 70s Americans lived for nearly a decade thru STAGFLATION and super high taxes (53% of ur income if u make 60k or more or 32% if u made 20-59k). Stagflation btw is more dangerous than deflation and inflation ESPECIALLY if it drags on for a long time and no one complained back then and America overcame that.

Im not gonna dwell too much on this thread, a lot of the shit im saying ive said countless times in the past. I cant change your perception I can only show you the truth - from there its up to you to decide what you want to believe in or not.

I hear what you're saying bro, believe me I do. Except for the part about Obama ending the war in Afghanistan, lol, where did that come from? Since when has that war ended? I must be missing something or reading the newspapers wrong.

Stagflation and deflation are both bad, but I don't see how stagflation is better than inflation. Inflation is when goods become more expensive, stagflation is when the prices of good stay the same. Stagflation, at least now, is better than inflation because at least the middle class and poor can have some breathing room. Inflation creates more desperate situations for the working class, correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen sites that bring up good arguments saying this. Inflation can benefit the producers of society by making people spend more, true, but what are the long term benefits of inflation? Very few.

And as far as Japanese and Europeans living with their parents till their 40s, a lot of that is cultural, but interviews with many Japanese people over in Japan from various media outlets shows most Japanese youth these days deplore the high cost of living. Same with the current lost generation in Europe now, I can bring up links if needed. A generation moving back in with mom and dad due to sky high cost of living is a generation being set up for future homelessness or homeless shelters. What are these people gonna do when Mom and Dad die?
  • SionSion Posts: 18,569
    edited March 2012
    Correction - I meant the war in Iraq, he pulled the troops out.

SMMFH Stagflation is NOT better than inflation its far far worse. It is not when prices stay the same, Stagflation in the 1970s was a period when the economy was NOT growing but inflation (prices of things) was rapidly climbing. When ppl are getting laid off (high unemployment) and wages arent growing and ur entire economy is NOT growing, and price levels are increasing it presents HUGE problems b/c eventually u just cant afford to pay for things and if ppl cant do that they cant pump money into the economy and if the economy isnt growing, u have huge debts, & ppl are becoming unemployed left and right eventually that leads to you crumbling. BUT thankfully that did NOT happen to the U.S. and they overcame it.

& @janklow - if Obama let the big banks fail the world wouldve gone into a depression that wouldve made the 1930s look like a cakewalk. That needed to be done, literally banks were crippled. Something like 400 banks failed and if they let Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America and others fall that wouldve been the end of America as we know it. He saved the economy with one swoop w/ that bailout. The U.S. is in a recovery, thing is most ppl expect a recovery to be rosey & sweet. A recovery is a hard and long process. Right now tho - You need the housing market to comeback right now and ull be surprised at how fast & low the unemployment rate falls when housing comes back.

@kingblaze - dude in Europe, Japan and Indian thats a cultural thing and its quite common. There might be more ppl moving back in with mom and dad due to economic hardship but its definitely not near the majority. In those countries its normal and quite common to see a son or daughter living with their parents well into their 40s.

Now this is my last post, this is like beating a dead horse. Some niggas just have their minds made up, if you wanna believe that we're heading into the era of mad max, thats on you. If you can see thru the bullshit and see that unemployment has fallen 40%, the housing market is better, the economy is far far better now, the Dow and S&P are up and things are floating around pre-2008 circa 2007 era highs then u on the right track. These things take time and inflation,deflation, stagflation is going to happen and has been happening since 1776. Its just that many of you were simply not old enough to have experienced prior recessions/recoveries and ur coming to understand terms like recession, inflation, etc. and starting to see how the business cycle affects you and even ur job security.

As my man John Templeton says.... this too shall pass.

edited March 2012
    Good post Sion, as I've said before you're a smart poster and I hear what you're saying, I'll respond later tonight after I attend a party and hopefully get some numbers. There's some things I disagree on but overall your post was pretty solid
    heyslick wrote: »
    FYI ^^^

Here's some more info for you
    Where Did the Carter White House's Solar Panels Go?

One of the 32 solar-thermal panels that captured energy on the roof of the White House (President Carters term) more than 30 years ago eventually ended up in a science museum in China....no wonder we can't compete with them. Dontcha just love the inefficiency of our government....our technology and our own weapons always seem to come back to bite us in one way or another.

Arghhh, why aren't those solar panels put to use now?? SMH damn maybe solar power just isn't that good? I could be ignorant but than again, I don't see what solar panels has to do with inflation...
  • lighthearted25lighthearted25 Posts: 1,307
    @kingblaze yea I never even thought of shit like that till the past few years. It's all about if everything was taken away (police, government, banks and grocery stores) what would you do? There's this show on the discovery channel called "the colonies" that's cool, it kind of puts people in this situation and lets them fend for themselves.
    @kingblaze yea I never even thought of shit like that till the past few years. It's all about if everything was taken away (police, government, banks and grocery stores) what would you do? There's this show on the discovery channel called "the colonies" that's cool, it kind of puts people in this situation and lets them fend for themselves.

That show sounds interesting, in many ways, Americans are fending for themselves already. There aren't many safety nets for the avg American if he or she loses their job. Homelessness is a growing problem in this country and with the cost of living going up, I predict more and more people are gonna do desperate things to survive. Just take a look at Chicago and any random inner city, most people aren't shooting for fun. Their shooting to take over drug territories in the overcrowded drug world.
    FYI ^^^

Here's some more info for you
    Where Did the Carter White House's Solar Panels Go?

One of the 32 solar-thermal panels that captured energy on the roof of the White House (President Carters term) more than 30 years ago eventually ended up in a science museum in China....no wonder we can't compete with them. Dontcha just love the inefficiency of our government....our technology and our own weapons always seem to come back to bite us in one way or another.

Arghhh, why aren't those solar panels put to use now?? SMH damn maybe solar power just isn't that good? I could be ignorant but than again, I don't see what solar panels has to do with inflation...

It does have relevance - we did have the ability to produce those solar panels @ one time - my point being look where they ended up a science museum in China,so now we invest 500 millions dollars in solar companies that go bankrupt & the Chinese are making solar panels that we are now buying....what the fuck is wrong with this picture? There government subsides those industries and succeed, yet our government can't do anything right but go bankrupt....shit is fucked up and it does trickle down to other venues. kingblaze,you know damn well SHIT never runs up hill.

To be fair, the govt DID try to make solar power a profitable business. So maybe we should cut Obama some slack with that one. The consumers just didn't find solar power very sexy, it's gonna take an emergency or crisis before Americans begin to use solar power more. For now, it's all about oil and drill baby drill.
    Another devastating effect of inflation due to constant irresponsible govt printing of dollars.....lack of sufficient savings for many older Americans. What people have saved up is often not enough to catch up with current costs of living. Now imagine you or somebody loses their job, you think the cost of living is gona go down for you? Only in dreamland

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/24/unemployment-older-workers_n_1347438.html

Linda Hall of Spokane, Wash. has worked hard all her life but hasn't earned any respect from the labor market. Laid off for the first time at age 62, Hall has no health insurance, not enough savings for retirement and almost no chance of getting hired again.

"A year ago I was absolutely certain that I had job security," Hall said. "Change is a part of life. But, truthfully, until a few weeks before [getting laid off], I just didn't see it coming and couldn't imagine such a thing happening."

Like many older workers, Hall is confronting America's new economic reality.

"If you worked hard, chances are you'd have a job for life, with a decent paycheck and good benefits and the occasional promotion," President Barack Obama lamented in his 2011 State of the Union Address. "That world has changed."

Baby Boomers like Hall are more likely than previous generations to keep working, or at least looking for work, as they get older. Since hitting a low of 29 percent in the 1990s, the labor force participation rate for older workers (those who are 55 and up) has risen to 40 percent today. The increase is partly due to employers offering stingier retirement plans than they once did.

Hall said she had a poignant experience during her first visit to the local workforce center. "I saw so many sad, lost looking people and my heart just went out to them. There was such an air of bewilderment and despair," she said in an email. "One lady had her teenage daughter helping her with paperwork; they were both struggling to be strong for each other, tears in their eyes."

The scene resonated later. "Not long after that, my daughter Emily called me crying. She had just gotten laid off, from her job of five years in Research and Development at a successful local genetics lab that got bought out by a multi-national corporation. We cried together; then I helped her figure what to do next."
  • tdoto88tdoto88 Posts: 751
    Another devastating effect of inflation due to constant irresponsible govt printing of dollars.....lack of sufficient savings for many older Americans. What people have saved up is often not enough to catch up with current costs of living. Now imagine you or somebody loses their job, you think the cost of living is gona go down for you? Only in dreamland

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/24/unemployment-older-workers_n_1347438.html

Linda Hall of Spokane, Wash. has worked hard all her life but hasn't earned any respect from the labor market. Laid off for the first time at age 62, Hall has no health insurance, not enough savings for retirement and almost no chance of getting hired again.

"A year ago I was absolutely certain that I had job security," Hall said. "Change is a part of life. But, truthfully, until a few weeks before [getting laid off], I just didn't see it coming and couldn't imagine such a thing happening."

Like many older workers, Hall is confronting America's new economic reality.

"If you worked hard, chances are you'd have a job for life, with a decent paycheck and good benefits and the occasional promotion," President Barack Obama lamented in his 2011 State of the Union Address. "That world has changed."

Baby Boomers like Hall are more likely than previous generations to keep working, or at least looking for work, as they get older. Since hitting a low of 29 percent in the 1990s, the labor force participation rate for older workers (those who are 55 and up) has risen to 40 percent today. The increase is partly due to employers offering stingier retirement plans than they once did.

Hall said she had a poignant experience during her first visit to the local workforce center. "I saw so many sad, lost looking people and my heart just went out to them. There was such an air of bewilderment and despair," she said in an email. "One lady had her teenage daughter helping her with paperwork; they were both struggling to be strong for each other, tears in their eyes."

The scene resonated later. "Not long after that, my daughter Emily called me crying. She had just gotten laid off, from her job of five years in Research and Development at a successful local genetics lab that got bought out by a multi-national corporation. We cried together; then I helped her figure what to do next."

this sounds like a lack of employment opportunities than it does inflation........
  • janklowjanklow Posts: 5,456
    yes, and he's our worst president.
    & @janklow - if Obama let the big banks fail the world wouldve gone into a depression that wouldve made the 1930s look like a cakewalk. That needed to be done, literally banks were crippled. Something like 400 banks failed and if they let Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America and others fall that wouldve been the end of America as we know it. He saved the economy with one swoop w/ that bailout. The U.S. is in a recovery, thing is most ppl expect a recovery to be rosey & sweet. A recovery is a hard and long process. Right now tho - You need the housing market to comeback right now and ull be surprised at how fast & low the unemployment rate falls when housing comes back.
    i think you missed what i was saying there, which was that i don't think Obama was the only president to sign off on not letting all these big banks fail.
    Again, why do you think Buchanan is America's worst president ever.......
    edited March 2012

hhmm might be b/c he allowed for slavery to spread even further and denied it was wrong, his constant courting of the South to avoid war blew up & slapped him in the face w/ the confederacy being formed and the American Civil war occurring on his watch. He was weak politically & pretty much sat on his ass and avoided many of the most troubling issues that faced America at the time.... and then came Lincoln LOLOL who inadvertently buried his "legacy".....
    yes, and he's our worst president.
    i think you missed what i was saying there, which was that i don't think Obama was the only president to sign off on not letting all these big banks fail.

yeah bad comprehension on my part fam

hhmm might be b/c he allowed for slavery to spread even further and denied it was wrong, his constant courting of the South to avoid war blew up & slapped him in the face w/ the confederacy being formed and the American Civil war occurring on his watch. He was weak politically & pretty much sat on his ass and avoided many of the most troubling issues that faced America at the time.... and then came Lincoln LOLOL who inadvertently buried his "legacy".....

Ahhh yes I forgot all about him, I suppose that's the reason we don't hear much about him these days. He was a scum bag, I hope he's rotting in hell now.....it makes Lincoln look really good in comparison, although he had some serious flaws himself. Considering another Buchanan could have been elected, Lincoln should be considered one of the best presidents America has ever had.
    ...it makes Lincoln look really good in comparison, although he had some serious flaws himself.
    let me just boil down my response to "hey now, Lincoln rules"

Lincoln gets a top 5 President nod....although what he did to Native Americans was despicable
    Lincoln gets a top 5 President nod....although what he did to Native Americans was despicable
    probably not the worst president in that regard

Definitely not Jank, he gets my respect overall.

The Federal Reserve on the other hand, doesn't have my respect.

You can hate John Pierpont Morgan (the man who eventually found JP Morgan bank) for that.....

You can hate John Pierpont Morgan (the man who eventually found JP Morgan bank) for that.....

The Federal Reserve was founded by multiple people though wasn't it??
    Sion, a question for you since you believe Obama is a very good president...

Why hasn't any of Obama's budgets been passed in such a long time? Why are even Democrats refusing to vote for it, including this year?
  • CracceRCracceR Posts: 2,495
    i liv in europe and we pay twice as much for gas as yall
    yall will get used to it
    edited March 2012
    Sion, a question for you since you believe Obama is a very good president...

Why hasn't any of Obama's budgets been passed in such a long time? Why are even Democrats refusing to vote for it, including this year?

I still think he's still a very good president and passing/not passing a budget doesn't discredit that.

There hasn't been a good strategy on increasing the budget that doesn't hurt the debt ceiling at the same time. I think the Dems/Republicans are refusing it for political reasons. Since the U.S. credit rating thing both sides have been in a stalemate.

They do but don't have to pass any budgets right now as I think there are going to be big cuts to social security and medicare coming.
    edited March 2012

The Federal Reserve was founded by multiple people though wasn't it??

Kind of.....

Originally during the crisis of I think 1907 (Panic of 1907), there was no real fiscal policy to protect the U.S. and provide liquidity as banks much like 2008 were in dire need of a bailout or would face bankruptcy and in the process shut down the U.S. economy forever. Political parties just couldn't decide on what to do - so John Pierpont Morgan went out and found the most prominent politicians in America and economics who could help realize his goal & had a meeting with Teddy Roosevelt. That goal became the Federal Reserve which was officially named that in 1913 (also the same year JP Morgan passed). In one fall swoop, JP's plan bailed out banks and companies in need & saved the American economy and dude was hailed as a hero.

Oh & if you're wondering what he got out of it - a place in history and extremely lucrative contracts in several mining companies and stakes in banks competing with his own investment bank - JP Morgan & Co. LOLOL.