What is JayZ's Hot album average & Hot albums in a row streak?

H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Reason
We all know that Nas's Hot-Album-Average was so impressive that JayZ was forced to sign him to Def Jam as part of his legacy as President of Def Jam during his tenure.

Let's look at Jigga-mans discography and figure his Hot-Album-Average and list his best string of Hot albums in a Row:

Studio albums

Reasonable Doubt (1996)
In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997)
Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (1998)
Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter (1999)
The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000)
The Blueprint (2001)
The Blueprint2: The Gift & The Curse (2002)
The Black Album (2003)
Kingdom Come (2006)
American Gangster (2007)
The Blueprint 3 (2009)

Much love and respect to JayZ & Young Guru for inspiring this discussion.
BK ProductH-Rap 180ParallelNah SonTrillaaaaaaNothingButTheTruth

Replies

• Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Blueprint (2001)
    The Black Album (2003)

my only problem with BP2 is that it had too many fillers and songs in general. other than that i feel it doesnt deserve the hate it gets
    ROZAYTABERNACLEStoneColdMikeybirdcallaveliDaDonfather713
  • YamoleySenseiYamoleySensei Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His first three albums is his only hot album streak...after that he injured his ankle and started putting up Grant Hill numbers
    H-Rap 180JDSTAYWITIT.AggyAFTrillaaaaaaNothingButTheTruth
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Blueprint (2001)
    The Black Album (2003)

my only problem with BP2 is that it had too many fillers and songs in general. other than that i feel it doesnt deserve the hate it gets

Well if it has too many fillers then it's gonna catch some hate. All the fillers were obvious and wack.

It's hard for me to give him a real long hot streak b/c Volume 2 and 3 are really average. I can't call them albums hot. then Kingdom come fucks up his streak as well.
  • tompetrez3tompetrez3 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Undisputed classics-TBA and Vol 1-5 mics
    1 Excellent Album-Vol 3-4.5 mics
    1 Great Album-Blueprint 1-3.75 mics
    1 Average album-American Wankster-3 Mics
    1 Way below average album- Vol 2- 2 Mics
    2 Wack albums-BP2, RLF- 1Mic
    3 Horrible albums-RD, BP3, KC-0 Mics
    ROZAYTABERNACLEParallel_Goldie_AggyAFBewareinfamous114Trillaaaaaa
  • IceBergTaylorIceBergTaylor The Spectacular Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Vol 2 average and wack? Wtf yall listening too? It isnt Vol. 1 by any means but Vol. 2 was dope in its own right.
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamoley wrote: »
    His first three albums is his only hot album streak...after that he injured his ankle and started putting up Grant Hill numbers

I co-sign, his first 3 are up there with Ice Cube & Ghostface first 3.

BP2 was just wack to me I felt like he just wanted to do a double disc gimmick and it failed.

Trillaaaaaa
  • JDSTAYWITIT.JDSTAYWITIT. .........Call Me On Shiniqua's Phone #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCPosts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His first three where great records .... Then vol.3 and dynasty where Mehh .... Then he got back on track with BP and the BP2 and BA so I'd say his longest streak is three
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BP2 has some dope tracks, but his longest streak would probably 00-01 with the Dynasty and Blueprint
  • the_focused_onethe_focused_one Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    I think you guys forget how average Vol. 2 was because of all the radio hits... Almost every other track on there was meh... good but not great by any means...
  • juan travoltajuan travolta Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RD and Bp1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vol. 2 was his weakest album by far, I mean it was horrible .

vo. 1 is jay in rare form and vol. 3 is a strong album .

blueprint 1 is nice and has stellar production.
    blueprint 2 gets alot of hate but actually has a couple gems on it .
    I never bothered listening to BP3 for obvious reasons.
    KC, same treatment as BP3.

AG is a strong showcase of classic production over easy laidback wordplay .

the black album stands in its own light, jays best work .
    stoneface
    Using the labels: Classic, Hot, Average, Wack

Reasonable Doubt- Classic
    Vol. 1- Hot
    Vol. 2-Average
    Vol. 3- Average
    Dynasty-Hot
    Blueprint- Classic
    Blueprint 2- Average
    Black Album- Classic
    Kingdom Come- Average
    American Gangster- Classic
    BP3- Average

Jay doesn't have a WACK album to me in the sense that at least HALF of his album is always going to be listenable to me, but he came close with Vol. 2 and BP3... Especially HATE... can't stand that song...

stonefaceNothingButTheTruth
  • JDSTAYWITIT.JDSTAYWITIT. .........Call Me On Shiniqua's Phone #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCPosts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using the labels: Classic, Hot, Average, Wack

Reasonable Doubt- Classic
    Vol. 1- Hot
    Vol. 2-Average
    Vol. 3- Average
    Dynasty-Hot
    Blueprint- Classic
    Blueprint 2- Average
    Black Album- Classic
    Kingdom Come- Average
    American Gangster- Classic
    BP3- Average

Jay doesn't have a WACK album to me in the sense that at least HALF of his album is always going to be listenable to me, but he came close with Vol. 2 and BP3... Especially HATE... can't stand that song...

no love for the pewm! pewm! pewm! ?
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don think bp3 deserves the hate it gets. its decent imo.
    birdcallaveliTrillaaaaaa
    edited April 2012
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    i don think bp3 deserves the hate it gets. its decent imo.

I feel that... that's why I said Average... the problem with that album is that the replay value really suffers...

Venus vs. Mars is cool at first, but I got bored of it on repeat listens...

Off That is wack... not lyrically by Jay, but Drake's hook is boring and the beat sucks...

Hate... One of the worst songs in Jay's career... right up there with Hollywood and What Girls like...

Reminder... Jay, we know what the fuck you've done, you said the same shit on "Already Home" on the same album...

Young Forever... I appreciate what he was trying to do, but after about the 3rd spin, this song is boring...

That's 5 weak tracks on a 15 track CD... the worst part is that those 5 tracks are all come in the second half of the disk... It's hard to listen to the second half knowing 5 of the 8 songs are wack...

P.S. Jay and Timbo lost it on this album... Jay's ears were rusty and he picked extremely wack beats by Timbo and Kanye...
    stoneface
    edited April 2012
    Of course we all know Vol. 1 would have been a classic if not for somebody's influence on the album... lol...
    Disciplined InSight
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked Hate *shrugs* but off that was super wack.
    Trillaaaaaa
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    His average is about a 4. 4.2 to be exact. His hottest streak is RD, Vol. 1, and Vol. 2. All three of those are 4+.
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course we all know Vol. 1 would have been a classic if not for somebody's influence on the album... lol...

He made up for that though 10 years later with American Gangster. Vol. 1 is still one of Jay's better albums despite "I Know What Girls Like" and "Sunshine" being two of his worst songs.
  • AggyAFAggyAF in the PPM ThreadPosts: 25,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reasonable Doubt, Vol 1, Vol. 2

Blueprint, Black Album are great (Blueprint is classic)

He made up for that though 10 years later with American Gangster. Vol. 1 is still one of Jay's better albums despite "I Know What Girls Like" and "Sunshine" being two of his worst songs.

I completely agree. And in my opinion, American Gangster IS a Classic... So I'm not mad at Puff over this... besides, it was Jay's decision to keep those tracks...
    StoneColdMikey
  • juan travoltajuan travolta Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vol.1 and Vol.2 were average. They weren't whack by any means imo.
  • Co_Town_MichaelCo_Town_Michael Fuck yo couch nigga TexasPosts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Jay was the MVP of the game up until after 2003.
    Then he started putting up pedestrian ass albums.

Bolded = hot
    everything else was just average
    He's about 5 out of 11

Reasonable Doubt (1996)
    In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997)

Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (1998)
    Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter (1999)
    The Blueprint (2001)
    The Black Album (2003)
    Kingdom Come (2006)
    American Gangster (2007)
    The Blueprint 3 (2009)
  • _Goldie__Goldie_ Clean Kicks & Tattoos Boolin With Ur BitchPosts: 14,787 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    RD - 5 mics - Every song on it was classic.

Vol 1- 4.5 mics -Had some of his best work , but with tracks like "i know what girls like and face off" it fell acouple notches. He shoulda took those off and replaced it with in my lifetime and da remix.

Vol 2- 4 mics - Da production was crazy on here. Lyrically he fell off compared to his previous work, but at da same time he mastered making hit records with catchy hooks.

Vol 3- 3.5 mics - Decent album. Acouple throwaways, it had alot of good tracks but there really wasnt any great tracks.

Dynasty- 4 mics- Had acouple aight songs, but no wack songs. Mostly ere song on there was good or great.

Blueprint- 5 mics - Every song on it was good or great. The production was top notch, Jay wasnt as lyrical as he was on RD , but he was still spittin some classic shit.

Blueprint 2- 3.5 mics- Alot of classic songs on here (the watcher,meet the parents) but way too many throwaways (shit wit sean paul, dat ewf remake joint wit pharrel)

Black Album- 5mics- Every song was hot.

Kingdom Come- 3 mics- This and bp3 are his worse albums imo. Da intro was crazy, but da next song was wack . Dat shit wit Usher was forgettable. Da 30 something joint and da joint wit John Legend is classic shit tho.

American Gangster- 4 mics- Diddy made up for dat bullshit he did on vol 1 wit da production on here. He didnt spit anything spectacular but he was still spittin some ill shit. His flow on da song "american gangster" is fukkin crazy.

Blueprint 3- 3 mics- smh

On avg his albums are 4. Dats pretty fukkin good.

Most hot albums in a row was his first 3 albums.

• NothingButTheTruthNothingButTheTruth Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hot albums