Wouldn't it be nice is there really was a God?

GoddammitGoddammit Posts: 87
edited April 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
A real higher power that would actually help us out and settle all the confusion. Not an asshole ass God though.
«1345

Replies

  • edwardnigmaedwardnigma Posts: 3,364
    Damn Bro God ain't no punk God, you disrespect the lord and find nothing goes your way in your daily life.

    You never hoped and wished for things(not money) that came true and was beyond your power?

    When I was a kid I would pray for things and I would recieve some of the things I prayed for, as a kid I would be shocked I recieved what I asked for.

    Its a good feeling to be in tune with God.

    Your tone is very negative, would you ask your Mother for something then turn around and tell her she's an asshole if she doesn't do it or comply with your wishes?

    If you want to invoke God you need to Respect what your trying to invoke. Also realize God is not your employee, its actually the other way around. So if you get something you ask for you must be respectful and thankful for your blessings.

    Not trying to impose just saying
  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    edited April 2012
    Damn Bro God ain't no punk God, you disrespect the lord and find nothing goes your way in your daily life.

    Where/how do you observe god in your daily life? Things can go your way (or not) whether you believe in god (or not). There's a lot of happy (and unhappy) atheists, there's a lot of happy (and unhappy) theists. Surely, belief in god isn't a deciding factor on how satisfied you are in life or how well your life is going.
    You never hoped and wished for things(not money) that came true and was beyond your power?

    When I was a kid I would pray for things and I would recieve some of the things I prayed for, as a kid I would be shocked I recieved what I asked for.

    Its a good feeling to be in tune with God.

    there's only two possible outcomes there. You either get what you want or you don't. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. no proof of god there. also, something i've noticed, when theists get what they pray for, they say god granted their wishes, but if they don't get it, god was holding out for something better or the answer to their prayers was "no". either way, if you believe in god or not, it doesn't matter what happens in your life; your belief is obviously primary
    Your tone is very negative, would you ask your Mother for something then turn around and tell her she's an asshole if she doesn't do it or comply with your wishes?

    If you want to invoke God you need to Respect what your trying to invoke. Also realize God is not your employee, its actually the other way around. So if you get something you ask for you must be respectful and thankful for your blessings.

    Not trying to impose just saying

    Your mother is real. You are able to converse with your mother and negotiate. if she doesn't grant your wishes, she can explain why. Same applies for an employer.

  • fiat_moneyfiat_money Posts: 16,655
    I like things as they are. Life is already easy as fuck without any magical beings.

    I don't need any help.
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,770
    Goddammit wrote:
    A real higher power that would actually help us out and settle all the confusion. Not an asshole ass God though.

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.
  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    alissowack wrote: »
    Goddammit wrote:
    A real higher power that would actually help us out and settle all the confusion. Not an asshole ass God though.

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856
    alissowack wrote: »
    Goddammit wrote:
    A real higher power that would actually help us out and settle all the confusion. Not an asshole ass God though.

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    mAAAAAN...Thats so key to understand. I find it bewildering as to how people can engage such errant processes of thought and be content with the result. Religious cats make a god in ther image, which is wrong. atheists become on some stupid shit too when they state something doesnt exist because it doesnt fit their standard of what it should be. that doent make sense. just because the creator aint some care bear cuddly universal slot machine dont mean that he doesnt exist.

  • waterproofwaterproof Posts: 8,872
    WHAT???? t/s you know that YHWH shows you the way (so that = to helping you out) to settle all the confusion that you may have and that you may cause on yourself by your own free will and actions, i mean what more do you want, and i bet you migt got the bluebrint in your house
  • GSonIIGSonII Posts: 2,594
    waterproof wrote: »
    WHAT???? t/s you know that YHWH shows you the way (so that = to helping you out) to settle all the confusion that you may have and that you may cause on yourself by your own free will and actions, i mean what more do you want, and i bet you migt got the bluebrint in your house

    Yeah really? That kid born with hiv caused it on his or her self? That kid that got cancer as a kid caused it on his or her self?
  • GSonIIGSonII Posts: 2,594
    I don't know if there is a God or not but I sure think it would be nice if he really needed us to know he exists. He obviously does not need that or anything else from us if he exists because he never makes his intentions clear enough for any and everyone to understand. Thus, it is just always some endless conversation about nothing concrete.
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,770
    alissowack wrote: »

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?

    It means that we can't think we can rest in our assumptions on who God is. I can believe that because God exists, that God also shares in my perverted perceptions of Him...that God supports "my" cause. If anything, God supports His Own Cause; apart from what anybody thinks and if we just happened to be "on board", so be it.
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856
    GSonII wrote: »
    waterproof wrote: »
    WHAT???? t/s you know that YHWH shows you the way (so that = to helping you out) to settle all the confusion that you may have and that you may cause on yourself by your own free will and actions, i mean what more do you want, and i bet you migt got the bluebrint in your house

    Yeah really? That kid born with hiv caused it on his or her self? That kid that got cancer as a kid caused it on his or her self?


    yes and no. no he probably did nothing to personally deserve hiv. yes because the price of free will is that our actions can affect other people. somebody harmed the child. Yah didnt do it. we got free will. He lays down instructions however and provides mercy as we should all be dead if the wages of sin are death
  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    edited April 2012
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?

    It means that we can't think we can rest in our assumptions on who God is. I can believe that because God exists, that God also shares in my perverted perceptions of Him...that God supports "my" cause. If anything, God supports His Own Cause; apart from what anybody thinks and if we just happened to be "on board", so be it.

    1. What is god's cause? Not necessarily what CAUSED god, but what is his intention or purpose
    2. If you're not resting on an assumption of who god is, where do you get your idea of god to begin with? Theism requires that you know who God is or what God does or what God thinks at least to some degree if not completely
    3. What is your definition of god? I'm interested in knowing
  • CynicalAndEbertCynicalAndEbert Posts: 10,229
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Freedom of choice is an illusion

    Whoever said there wasn't restrictions, conditions and consequences to choices?
  • CynicalAndEbertCynicalAndEbert Posts: 10,229
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Freedom of choice is an illusion

    Whoever said there wasn't restrictions, conditions and consequences to choices?

    There are no choices though.

    Do tell....
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,770
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?

    It means that we can't think we can rest in our assumptions on who God is. I can believe that because God exists, that God also shares in my perverted perceptions of Him...that God supports "my" cause. If anything, God supports His Own Cause; apart from what anybody thinks and if we just happened to be "on board", so be it.

    1. What is god's cause? Not necessarily what CAUSED god, but what is his intention or purpose
    2. If you're not resting on an assumption of who god is, where do you get your idea of god to begin with? Theism requires that you know who God is or what God does or what God thinks at least to some degree if not completely
    3. What is your definition of god? I'm interested in knowing

    1. What is God's Cause? Whatever it is, it not for man to decide. Whatever He sees as good, right, or just...we in not in a position to say different.

    2. Maybe it's just me, but I have a different perception on what is an idea and what is an assumption. If God is an idea, then there is no reason to assume. I...or somebody else...can make God to be anything. I can determine what I want God to be and no one can tell me different. But if God exists, then I am only left to assume who (or what...just to be unbiased) this deity is.

    3. This is much like number one. It is not up to man to define who God is. I don't think that it is a secret that I in favor on what the Bible says about God, but it doesn't mean that my assumptions about what the Bible says are...in favor of what the Bible says. I can say that God is good...but it would only be based on what I assume "good" to be; not what good means to God.
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?

    It means that we can't think we can rest in our assumptions on who God is. I can believe that because God exists, that God also shares in my perverted perceptions of Him...that God supports "my" cause. If anything, God supports His Own Cause; apart from what anybody thinks and if we just happened to be "on board", so be it.

    1. What is god's cause? Not necessarily what CAUSED god, but what is his intention or purpose
    2. If you're not resting on an assumption of who god is, where do you get your idea of god to begin with? Theism requires that you know who God is or what God does or what God thinks at least to some degree if not completely
    3. What is your definition of god? I'm interested in knowing
    1.) to know itself. to experience and be the experience of intention and purpose.

  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    edited April 2012
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?

    It means that we can't think we can rest in our assumptions on who God is. I can believe that because God exists, that God also shares in my perverted perceptions of Him...that God supports "my" cause. If anything, God supports His Own Cause; apart from what anybody thinks and if we just happened to be "on board", so be it.

    1. What is god's cause? Not necessarily what CAUSED god, but what is his intention or purpose
    2. If you're not resting on an assumption of who god is, where do you get your idea of god to begin with? Theism requires that you know who God is or what God does or what God thinks at least to some degree if not completely
    3. What is your definition of god? I'm interested in knowing

    1. What is God's Cause? Whatever it is, it not for man to decide. Whatever He sees as good, right, or just...we in not in a position to say different.

    2. Maybe it's just me, but I have a different perception on what is an idea and what is an assumption. If God is an idea, then there is no reason to assume. I...or somebody else...can make God to be anything. I can determine what I want God to be and no one can tell me different. But if God exists, then I am only left to assume who (or what...just to be unbiased) this deity is.

    3. This is much like number one. It is not up to man to define who God is. I don't think that it is a secret that I in favor on what the Bible says about God, but it doesn't mean that my assumptions about what the Bible says are...in favor of what the Bible says. I can say that God is good...but it would only be based on what I assume "good" to be; not what good means to God.

    1. So you follow a god, but this god's intentions or goals you know nothing of. How do you know where god is going? How do you know god is acting at all? "Whatever it is" means you don't really know. If he sees destruction of humanity "right", you agree with that? If God wakes up one day and decides the "good" thing to do is "evil", you roll with that just because he is god? Where does the authority come from?
    2. Whether you want to say God is a deity/supernatural being or an "idea", you're assuming that "God" takes a certain role in your personal life. You're making an assumption on what or who god is and what god does. If you're not assuming, you have to be certain. What makes you certain god is one way and not the other?
    3. It sounds like you're confused about who god is. The Bible was written by man, therefore you contradict yourself by saying that it is not up to man to define God. The Bible tells you god is good. If not for the Bible, how would you arrive at such a conclusion? What exactly does good mean to god? Any answer you provide, you go back to number one: assuming.


    It sounds to me as if you're admitting that your god is essentially imaginary
  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    judahxulu wrote: »
    1.) to know itself. to experience and be the experience of intention and purpose.

    So we are god's "consciousness", you would say?

  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856
    judahxulu wrote: »
    1.) to know itself. to experience and be the experience of intention and purpose.

    So we are god's "consciousness", you would say?

    yep. a part of it anyway. i think the movie the nines talks about this in a way. them jews be putting the real shit the bible says in a lot of their science-fiction or mind fuck type of movies. and the more i study buddhism the more i think he was tapping into the same thing and was a messiah of sorts to his people. i'd prolly get jumped if i was in a church or a synagogue saying this shit lol
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,770
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »

    The thing is however...God's Existence doesn't necessarily mean that we get what we want.

    what does it mean then?

    It means that we can't think we can rest in our assumptions on who God is. I can believe that because God exists, that God also shares in my perverted perceptions of Him...that God supports "my" cause. If anything, God supports His Own Cause; apart from what anybody thinks and if we just happened to be "on board", so be it.

    1. What is god's cause? Not necessarily what CAUSED god, but what is his intention or purpose
    2. If you're not resting on an assumption of who god is, where do you get your idea of god to begin with? Theism requires that you know who God is or what God does or what God thinks at least to some degree if not completely
    3. What is your definition of god? I'm interested in knowing

    1. What is God's Cause? Whatever it is, it not for man to decide. Whatever He sees as good, right, or just...we in not in a position to say different.

    2. Maybe it's just me, but I have a different perception on what is an idea and what is an assumption. If God is an idea, then there is no reason to assume. I...or somebody else...can make God to be anything. I can determine what I want God to be and no one can tell me different. But if God exists, then I am only left to assume who (or what...just to be unbiased) this deity is.

    3. This is much like number one. It is not up to man to define who God is. I don't think that it is a secret that I in favor on what the Bible says about God, but it doesn't mean that my assumptions about what the Bible says are...in favor of what the Bible says. I can say that God is good...but it would only be based on what I assume "good" to be; not what good means to God.

    1. So you follow a god, but this god's intentions or goals you know nothing of. How do you know where god is going? How do you know god is acting at all? "Whatever it is" means you don't really know. If he sees destruction of humanity "right", you agree with that? If God wakes up one day and decides the "good" thing to do is "evil", you roll with that just because he is god? Where does the authority come from?
    2. Whether you want to say God is a deity/supernatural being or an "idea", you're assuming that "God" takes a certain role in your personal life. You're making an assumption on what or who god is and what god does. If you're not assuming, you have to be certain. What makes you certain god is one way and not the other?
    3. It sounds like you're confused about who god is. The Bible was written by man, therefore you contradict yourself by saying that it is not up to man to define God. The Bible tells you god is good. If not for the Bible, how would you arrive at such a conclusion? What exactly does good mean to god? Any answer you provide, you go back to number one: assuming.


    It sounds to me as if you're admitting that your god is essentially imaginary

    1. I guess maybe I should have revealed the source for my belief for some clarity on what I "know". My belief in God is based in what the Bible says. The problem with this is that...because the Bible says something doesn't mean that it is perceived with the same discretion and discernment as what it is intended to...or the way God sees things. Yes, there are rules and laws in which to abide by and the Bible stresses that importance. But I can't assume that because I do good, that I should get good in return...or that God better reward me for my goodness. Even apart from religion, I can't think that because I treat somebody kind and nice that I should expect somebody to treat me the same.

    2. I disagree. If I decided that it would be a good idea to make a deity, then I come up with the grounds in which God should or shouldn't be. I can make my deity as I see fit and it doesn't have to comply with anybody else's deity. My deity doesn't have to have any significance to how I live my life. Now if God exists and the Bible (or any other text) sets the groundwork for what I should do with my life, then I am left to determine for myself or assume what is said by what I should do with my life.

    3. Again, I disagree. I don't think you quite understand the angle I'm coming from when I say "man can't define God". Maybe you've gone through this before. Someone comes at you talking about what they know about you. They assume that you are something that you are not and keeps pushing the point that they have you figured out. You say to yourself (or at that person), "You don't know anything about me". That person doesn't have the authority to tell you who you are...you do. I have the Bible and the it says a bunch of things...but it doesn't me I know God. There is a relational knowledge that I'm trying to project in saying that man can't define God.

    Because someone's deity is imaginary doesn't mean that God isn't real.

  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    edited April 2012
    Why create a seperate deity for a god you believe in, or may or may not exist? Are you polytheist?
    The Bible god says that he will reward you for good deeds. No, I guess it would not be "right" to do good just to receive reward or in fear of punishment, but the Bible god does, in fact, act on reward and punishment.
    There's a problem with your last point. The Bible god WANTS you to know him. If I wanted that person to know me like the Bible god does, I'd stress it as he does and repeatedly tell them who I am like the Bible does. Of course, they don't have the authority to decide who I am or change who I am, but through me, they would know me. Again, theism suggests that you know God
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    judahxulu wrote: »
    1.) to know itself. to experience and be the experience of intention and purpose.

    So we are god's "consciousness", you would say?

    "All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively"


    DAMN NOW IMA HAFTA PAY A LIL CLOSER ATTENTION TO BILL HICKS. I LIKE THAT QUOTE.
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,770
    Why create a seperate deity for a god you believe in, or may or may not exist? Are you polytheist?
    The Bible god says that he will reward you for good deeds. No, I guess it would not be "right" to do good just to receive reward or in fear of punishment, but the Bible god does, in fact, act on reward and punishment.
    There's a problem with your last point. The Bible god WANTS you to know him. If I wanted that person to know me like the Bible god does, I'd stress it as he does and repeatedly tell them who I am like the Bible does. Of course, they don't have the authority to decide who I am or change who I am, but through me, they would know me. Again, theism suggests that you know God

    Maybe I should have made this clear. I drew up this idea hoping that you would assume that I had no knowledge of the Bible God and I was like..."wouldn't it be a good idea to make one?"

    The "God rewarding for good deeds" part...the Bible speaks out a whole lot about people who do "good" just for reward or fear of punishment. In fact, that is the mistake that some churches make in preaching the message.

    You know...God does want people to know Him. But does God "need" people to know Him? Is God's existence totally depended on how many people embrace Him? I did a "Webster" and theism isn't what you are suggesting. If people can know God, we would need it to be an -ism or -ology.
  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    edited April 2012
    Apparently, God needs people to know him. If no one knew of him, would he exist? He's omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent: need, want.. what's the difference?

  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,639
    judahxulu wrote: »
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    judahxulu wrote: »
    1.) to know itself. to experience and be the experience of intention and purpose.

    So we are god's "consciousness", you would say?

    "All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively"


    DAMN NOW IMA HAFTA PAY A LIL CLOSER ATTENTION TO BILL HICKS. I LIKE THAT QUOTE.

    cosign. That quote always sticks out to me
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.