The real reason people like "Wack" rappers , The answer is simpler than you think

124»

Replies

• High RevolutionaryHigh Revolutionary Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the reasons people like wack rappers is because it allows them to have more confidence about becoming a rapper themselves. Imagine if every emcee was skilled on some WuTang, Biggie, Nas shit. None of these dudes would even try to become a rapper because they would know they ain't fucking with the pros.

But in today's game you have Drakes, J.Coles aka average dudes with no thought-provoking shit, so the average fan sees that shit and thinks, well shit if they can make it so can I ... and for the most part it's true.

It used to be only the talented bruthas got signed and recognized. It was the dudes who could flow like it was nothing, the guys who could write the old testament, the bruthas who could rock a mic and get the whole crowd hype.

Now it's just a pathway that rebellious and/or lazy dudes see as an alternative to school. They think, "Instead of school, I'm going to be a rapper," and because wack rappers get shine, they actually do have a valid chance of it happening.

A very revisionist assessment

Explain why you think that, because I think what he said is on point.

Since the beginning of hip hop there has always been less technical rappers , ordinary everyday person rappers, rappers that

never finished high school etc. Too Short, Eazy E , E-40 , Dougie Fresh, Curtis Blow, Biz Markie, etc are less techinical rappers,

Native Tongues were regular cats for the most part. Eminem,Nas and Phife Dog never finished high school that I know of.

What he said has nothing with whether a rapper actually finished school and everything to do with skill level. Of the old school rappers you listed there were all trailblazers doing things in hip-hop no one had done before. You can say they were less technical in the same way you could say Wilt Chamberlain was less technical than Tim Duncan; doesn't diminish Wilt's accomplishments, though.

Most of today's mainstream rappers have neither innovation nor skill however. It's seems like all you need to get on now is connections and an ear for beats.

but that's always been the case

There has never been a time in hip-hop where there was so much wackness in the mainstream.

You just haven't found an artist currently that you can connect to emotionally/psychologically its all good . Your probably an

older fan.

Thank god for the internet.

I'm currently bumping this Q-tip mixtape:

• NothingButTheTruthNothingButTheTruth Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion. wrote: »
    I agree fam. Pac & DMX wasnt the most lyrical niggas in the game but niggas could relate to them on an emotional level.

Funny tho, seems like that element of emotion is dead now thanks to these niggas who are characters playin somebody they aint (i.e. Rick Ross).

Music is something you feel, thats why I think niggas like DMX, Eazy E, 50 Cent or Ice Cube were so successful with the masses. You could find a million more rappers that were better than them technically but couldn't sell a record or hold a crowd's attention. Charisma man..... I swear that shit is missing today :(

Whoa! Did you really just say Pac and DMX wasn't lyrical? Really? Pac is one of the most lyrical dudes ever, and X ain't too far behind.

Y'all getting lyrical mixed up with the syllable rap shit where dudes say shit like lyrical, spiritual, miracle etc.

you dumb fuck
    charisma is just about the ONLY thing niggas have today
    that's the main reason niggas like 2 Chainz are even remotely relevant

FOH, none of the new dudes have charisma. They all look and act like a bunch of outcast mofos who have a mission to make shit that will never be accepted, the norm.
  • Supreme_Mind999Supreme_Mind999 Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree fam. Pac & DMX wasnt the most lyrical niggas in the game but niggas could relate to them on an emotional level.

Funny tho, seems like that element of emotion is dead now thanks to these niggas who are characters playin somebody they aint (i.e. Rick Ross).

Music is something you feel, thats why I think niggas like DMX, Eazy E, 50 Cent or Ice Cube were so successful with the masses. You could find a million more rappers that were better than them technically but couldn't sell a record or hold a crowd's attention. Charisma man..... I swear that shit is missing today :(

Wateva X was lyrical..X and pac told stories in rhyme..Most punk ass rappers can't do it..Today's mainstream artist just spews random punchlines about nothing

DMTxTHC
  • young_reezyyoung_reezy Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wateva X was lyrical..X and pac told stories in rhyme..Most punk ass rappers can't do it..Today's mainstream artist just spews random punchlines about nothing

Exactly, people get the word lyrics confused with wordplay acrobatics. The song content is more random now because thats how the listeners thought process has been conditioned to think.

• blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,309 Regulator

Rappers have ALWAYS played characters they aren't...hell go listen to Rapper's Delight...you think they had all that shit they talked about? Hell the 3rd verse is ghost written...
  • FucktheICFucktheIC Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO at fans of Nas, Jay-Z and 80's hip hop saying "people are followers."

Yup, definitely bucking a trend. It's not like those people don't have millions of fans.
    DMTxTHC
  • blackblocblackbloc Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    t/s is way off , you basically just gave the reason why people love music from their teens years and always see it as better then anything before or out now . if an artist music doesn't give you a emotional response why listen? if you looking for some of knowledge/education pick up a book
  • MC The RapperMC The Rapper Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackbloc wrote: »
    t/s is way off , you basically just gave the reason why people love music from their teens years and always see it as better then anything before or out now . if an artist music doesn't give you a emotional response why listen? if you looking for some of knowledge/education pick up a book

Just making people think about why they like something.
  • FucktheICFucktheIC Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackbloc wrote: »

Exactly, I've never understood that shit.

I listen to "wack" music b/c it's entertaining. Nothing more, nothing less.
124»