What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Twitter followers and Youtube views are the most pointless statistics in the world

usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 37,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in AllHipHop.com Editorials
Why do people factor in all this nonsense when it comes to MTV top 10 list and other dumb shit. It doesn't translate into sales, how is it possible to have millions of followers and they don't support your shit when it comes to buying music. Twitter and Youtube is making these artist feel bigger than they really are, it's a damn mirage. On Twitter Justin Beiber is the biggest thing in the world, until you find out dude is only a platinum artist. His fans are worthless!
banksy-gifs-graffiti.gif
I believe in L.O.V.E.......Lots Of Vagina Ev[/b]eryday.
Soloman_The_WiseThaCerealKilla[Deleted User]blackblocgeorgia boiSupreme_Mind999Sionidoitforhiphop10N YO HOODMeekMonizzLLLLLLe14PanchoYoSanchoH-Rap 180soul rattlerpoindexter2CashmoneyDuxKillaChamJevn_17purpngoldnohiphop1

Replies

• loch121loch121 Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly.In the internet age real numbers are the only way to tell how popular an artist is.it may not equal sales, but it means you have a level of popularity.it may take 10 million followers to be able to sale platinum.Beiber is getting a lot of money though
    Loch Afro American Psycho EP/mixtape http://www.datpiff.com/Loch-Afro-American-Psycho-mixtape.740928.html
    Loch's youtube channel youtube.com/lochofmceo
    Loch Afro American Horror Story Mixtape Hosted by @DJDooWop http://piff.me/d91349e via @DatPiff
    Follow @Loch121 http://Twitter.com/loch121
    Follow Loch on instagram. http://instagram.com/loch121
    Soloman_The_Wiseblackbloc
  • sniperksniperk Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get $10 from Grouchy Greg for every IC Ether my comments receive.

Ca-ching, bitches!
    loch121Soloman_The_WisebirdcallaveliH-Rap 180soul rattler
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Co-sign.

Not only does it not translate into sales, but it's regular folk with millions of Youtube views and Twitter followers. Some people pay for views, and there's probably a way to pay for followers too.
  • MaalikMaalik Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote:
    Why do people factor in all this nonsense when it comes to MTV top 10 list and other dumb shit. It doesn't translate into sales, how is it possible to have millions of followers and they don't support your shit when it comes to buying music. Twitter and Youtube is making these artist feel bigger than they really are, it's a damn mirage. On Twitter Justin Beiber is the biggest thing in the world, until you find out dude is only a platinum artist. His fans are worthless!

nigga, Justin Bieber had like 700 million views on one song.

I wonder if how much he gets paid as a Youtube partner. Shit gotta be ridiculous.
  • MaalikMaalik Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kid made $53 million last year.

SHITTTTTTT
  • ocelotocelot Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I thought yall loved me man..." Bwhahahahahaha
    1z56els.jpg
    Sion
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,056 Regulator
    Got dayum usmarin3 spittin that gospel again.

Fam look at Curren$y, nigga has millions of views on youtube yet Pilot Talk 1 (Amazing album by the way) could barely touch over 30k in sales.
    IC Moderator and AHH Editor

http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/site-help

^^^ If you need anything go here

jono wrote: »
    This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Message to the trills of the IC: May Legion Of Trill be your enemies downfall
  • idoitforhiphop10idoitforhiphop10 Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    c/s. don't forget datpiff downloads. Alot of those niggas with 2x platinum d/l's can barley go gold.
    Fav Rappers No order:

Schoolboy Q
    Joey Bada$$
    J. Cole
    Ab-Soul
    Lupe Fiasco
    Kendrick Lamar
    Chance The Rapper
    Big K.R.I.T.
    purpngoldnohiphop1
  • p-tavernp-tavern yeah its called im on the wideworldweb EVER HEARD OF IT???Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Because Vevo ads on youtube, and suggestive manifestations of one's "personal thoughts" on twitter ≠ HUGE money.
    Right...
  • MUDDYWATERZMUDDYWATERZ Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Battle rappers use this as a crutch a lot.
  • Jabu_RuleJabu_Rule Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    While it may not push albums, it keeps their name out there and keeps the concert dollars coming. People do still like live shows until the holograms take over. It gets you endorsements and allows you to use your presence to negotiate contracts outside of music. Imagine telling your millions of followers that you like mountain dew. It's easier to buy then an album and it can become a statement and a trend just because your popular. It all depends on how you sell yourself in the end.
    beyonce-jay-z-blue-ivy-bikes-7e423fe2-53e3-4784-9386-73b60ac360f5.jpg
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Who cares about album sales in 2012?

Artists are becoming partners with Yotube and Ad revenue is being generated from those views.

Twitter is being used more and more by artists to advertise their own merchandise, websites and products that they are being paid to endorse.

Justin Beiber doesn't need 10 million followers to buy his albums he just needs 1 million of his followers to show up at his concerts and shows.

That's how Smack picks the match-ups because it's the best way to gauge the publics interest for the battle-rapper.

The views for Shotgun Suge Vs Nuborn won't be the same as Hollow da Don Vs Conceited. LOL.

Tsu Surf & Aye Verb get a lot of views but Arsenal got so many views that he was able to branch out and do his thing with a new league outside of URL.

GOOD MUSIC
    #iTunes ❚ <>09/12 <>❚ #iTunes
    goodmusic_lead-590x380.jpeg
    Follow @BruthaDee @BruthaDee @BruthaDee @BruthaDee Follow

bankrupt balleridoitforhiphop10H-Rap 180purpngoldJabu_Rule
  • MC The RapperMC The Rapper Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people in here are stepping outside of their depth. USmarine still mad about J.cole not getting on the hottest mc list haha.
    birdcallaveliidoitforhiphop10
  • Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop it usmarine, it's the only thing riddle rap can cling on to for 50 cent musically.
    *Top 5 background poster*
    Started fucking with photoshop
    superstarcole.gif
    DarthRozay
  • Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also lol, i typed joe budden into youtube and dude can't even get a million viewers. Nigga stay going quadruple jaw breaker.
    *Top 5 background poster*
    Started fucking with photoshop
    superstarcole.gif
    edutained_by_hhbirdcallaveliCoolJoe
  • MC The RapperMC The Rapper Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Who cares about album sales in 2012?

Artists are becoming partners with Yotube and Ad revenue is being generated from those views.

Twitter is being used more and more by artists to advertise their own merchandise, websites and products that they are being paid to endorse.

Justin Beiber doesn't need 10 million followers to buy his albums he just needs 1 million of his followers to show up at his concerts and shows.

That's how Smack picks the match-ups because it's the best way to gauge the publics interest for the battle-rapper.

The views for Shotgun Suge Vs Nuborn won't be the same as Hollow da Don Vs Conceited. LOL.

Tsu Surf & Aye Verb get a lot of views but Arsenal got so many views that he was able to branch out and do his thing with a new league outside of URL.

people who own the rights to the music and get the most profit out of it .
    birdcallaveli
  • yeah i rap so don't yeah i rap so don't Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, the A&R's care about youtube numbers a lot. You can not get a record deal without a youtube presence. Trust me, I know this to be a fact bro, so they are not useless, aiight peace man.
    How many dudes have you really shot
    you rely on muscle memory no wonder you forgot
    how stupid can you be,I'm world class,who you teaching ass
    you got broad shoulders prom queen, carry that
    your top five lists can not be taken seriously (naw)
    when the reaper takes them all seriously (yeah)
    you should have died as one of your moms cramps
    fuck around get your skull turned into boot camp (ha)
    I am not the one who you want to have bothered
    your mom water shouldn't have broke if Moses was your father (hungh)
    I just stepped out the nexus to answer who next is
    what perplexes me is you all know I'm sicker,you disagree
    you iller?, make your move Nomad (damn)
    I got better reflexes than Body Builders
    demolition man, is he stallone,snipes,or the reem
    all you self-centered clowns can't stop the dream (stupid)

The essence of my pubescence was stick to the lessons
    Keep the substance in the artwork solid,no need for stressin
    Shit, rap smoke and mirrors
    I aint dyin' off the second hand from the reflection of another man
    Not tryin' to hear who you think more clever, it whatever
    Dead at the same time, they toe-to-toe, neck-and-neck forever
    Dexterity is dexter, my pressure is impressing
    Buffalo Bill, but the victims doing the cross-dressing
    You nobodies get piled in the bathtub
    why you think it's called the rest room
    The brand is new, just call it a flesh-wound
    Word is born, who needs a flesh womb
    If I diss you, better just take that
    I coin phrases,Harvey Dent aint got the balls to flip that
    Sergeons need image awards if they save face
    Cave your chest in until Osama and Bruce Wayne could be roommates
    You gassed already, that's what happens when your hate unconditional
    Your favorite rappers is weak, but you virgins use to putting pussy on a pedestal
    birdcallaveli
  • poindexter2poindexter2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys don't understand business I see. In business the money is in the list. Everyone on your list is not going to buy into your products/services, the goal is not for everyone to buy, but its to attract a certain percentage of people on the list as potential customers or buyers. Its a way to follow up with the people who you are targeting in your market. Plus it takes up to seven contacts to get some one interested in what you have any way, so it may not happen today tomorrow or this year, but it may happen. With that said, twitter is a LIST for artist with potential fans, youtube subscribers are a LIST for artist with potential fans. And I'm pretty sure if you went through Beibers followers on twitter, you would see about 20 perccent of them aren't even a part of his targeted market. Some of you cats should go read a book on business models and marketing because you all just assume shit.
    1779243_843468661949_2223212334890696667_n.jpg?oh=2596af3c79f9265458b3e1d004c623bf&oe=54E86424

tumblr_llqh75j50t1qbbb7uo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mcw99uvCbd1rv118l.gif
    Supreme_Mind999mosincredibleKillaChamidoitforhiphop10
  • soul rattlersoul rattler Chief Petty Officer of the Ill Community Naval Command HOOYAHPosts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What people don't consider about something like youtube views is that one person can count as multiple views. Imagine how many views shadyteam counts for on an eminem video, or deathrowzorrow on a nas video.
    One person can buy multiple albums.

do you understand what im getting at?? WHAT WHITE PPL THINK, AND WHAT THEY DEFINE THINGS AS IS NOT THE STANDARD YOU SHOULD BE GOING BY. That is of course, if you are not mentally defeated by the complex of white supremacy, where everything whites do is the "right" way, where having straight hair and lightskin is "beautiful" but dark skin and nappy hair is "ugly"
    You're doing it wrong. You take one and really fuck them up; make an example to the other kids. Like grab the small bitch and gouge her eyes out with your thumbs. Then curb stomp her.
    Wiggars

I'm too militant
    For you shithead crakkka hoes
    I hope you all die
  • Supreme_Mind999Supreme_Mind999 Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not true, especially not for the new artist.Youtube and these other media outlets are ways artists can gain exposure and promote their wares without a record label.

Everyone who views your vids may not buy your album but the potential for more TRUE fans and customers is always there..

For the average artist, 30k cds sold independently is a nice chunk of change..and to the T/S stick to pushing paper weights and licking envelopes.What the hell you know about being a artist and selling records?

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 15,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    While it may not push albums, it keeps their name out there and keeps the concert dollars coming. People do still like live shows until the holograms take over. It gets you endorsements and allows you to use your presence to negotiate contracts outside of music. Imagine telling your millions of followers that you like mountain dew. It's easier to buy then an album and it can become a statement and a trend just because your popular. It all depends on how you sell yourself in the end.

Twitter only helps rappers who already have an established fan base it doesn't help the majority of up and coming rappers as much as you would think. Does it bring exposure yes but the buzz is short lived as the twitter world quickly moves on to the next fad. If someone gets a mountain dew contract and tells people to buy mountain dew that will not raise sales that much its just people fucking like mountain dew period.

Also twitter hurts more arists than it helps. There have been hundreds of celebs and artists that have tweeted something that even their fans think is offensive and then its an outrage and then comes a tweet like "what really guys you're offending by that smh" then more outage then the high profile person has to apologize after people in their camp tell them too.

I don't care how much "money" people make off twitter if im A&R of an artist im concerned about them having a voice to the world 24/7 especally when there is a drink or joint in their hand. All the money someone can make off social media is worth the risk of having negative press and every day having to respond to trollers that trap them into looking lame.

559833_448570031895809_125247706_n.jpg
  • KillaChamKillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Posts: 11,340 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    Why would those statistics be pointless and why does everything always have to boil down to sales? Views and followers are a good indicator of interest at the least...and interest is important. Not everyone that's interested in something is going to spend money on it.

And do you not know that artists and labels get paid for their VEVO/YouTube views?

VEVO pays about $70,000 for every 10 million views. A video hitting 1 billion views = $7 million check from VEVO. Still seem pointless to you?
    zvvgw2.jpgzvvgw2.jpgzvvgw2.jpg
    soul rattler