Who won the Token-White-Artist sweepstakes over the last year (Top-10)

H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
edited April 2012 in The Reason
T.I.-Iggy-Azalea.jpg

This last year has been busy in HipHop...with sales slumping and only a handful of Platinum artists left its time to quit bullshittin' and start catering to the consumers and pandering to the "buying demographic", ...if we wanna sell some records that is.


How the fuck are we going to get the majority-consumers to buy HipHop albums when they can just download them shits for free?


Well first you wanna get their attention and make them feel like they are a part of the Music and the Movement and the easiest way to do that is to include people who look like them on our albums and labels.



So lets take a glance at this relatively new phase in HipHop over the past year:
lets look at the Top 10 Token signees over the last year and see which label snatched up the best prospect:



MGK to Badboy (2011)

K-KoKe to Roc Nation (2011)

Asher Roth to Def Jam (2011)

KreayShawn to Interscope (2011)

Yelawolf to Shady/Aftermath (2011)

DJ Pauly D to G-Unit/Interscope (2011)

N/A to Maybach Music Group (2008-2012)

Amber Rose to Taylor Gang records (2011) *Artist removed due to derail issues and ADHD*

Wrekonize/Mayday to Strange Music (2011)

Limp Bizkit to YMCMB (2012)

Iggy Azelia to Grand Hustle/Atlantic/Interscope (2012)


THERES YOUR TOP TEN:

*Honorable Mention 4 year*

Mr Hudson* Good Music/Def Jam (2008)

White* Corporate Thugz Entertainmnt (2010)


 Goons?StewSWAMPGODH-Rap 180Africa UnitedMumo_X
«134

Replies

  • AggyAFAggyAF A Weirdo but I'm Real Tho Posts: 21,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed
    birdcallaveliH-Rap 180
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed

    doesent she have a white father and a mixed-race mother?


    amber-rose-charley-gallay-wi-genart.jpg

    White skin and blonde hair 3 quarters white and shes Black all of a sudden.....damn homie Black genes must be mighty strong or either the One-Drop-Rule still applies for Quadroons
    :-\"
    birdcallaveliROZAYTABERNACLEH-Rap 180NothingButTheTruth
  • AggyAFAggyAF A Weirdo but I'm Real Tho Posts: 21,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed

    doesent she have a white father and a mixed-race mother?


    amber-rose-charley-gallay-wi-genart.jpg

    White skin and blonde hair 3 quarters white and shes Black all of a sudden.....damn homie Black genes must be mighty strong or either the One-Drop-Rule still applies for Quadroons
    :-\"

    lol, black genes are strong. I thought her father was black, apparently she is half Cape Verdean so she would be of primarily African descent i guess. idk
    birdcallaveli
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    edited April 2012
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed

    doesent she have a white father and a mixed-race mother?


    amber-rose-charley-gallay-wi-genart.jpg

    White skin and blonde hair 3 quarters white and shes Black all of a sudden.....damn homie Black genes must be mighty strong or either the One-Drop-Rule still applies for Quadroons
    :-\"

    lol, black genes are strong. I thought her father was black, apparently she is half Cape Verdean so she would be of primarily African descent i guess. idk

    1298298448amber_rose_parents.jpg

    Imagine if Halle Berry and Billy-Bob Thorton had a baby:

    38471_la.jpg

    CAPE VERDIAN: The country has an estimated population (most of creole ethnicity) of about 500,000, with its capital city Praia accounting for a quarter of its citizens.

    One big happy family,,,,Dad & Brothers
  •  Goons? Goons? Posts: 36
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.
    H-Rap 180
  • AggyAFAggyAF A Weirdo but I'm Real Tho Posts: 21,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed

    doesent she have a white father and a mixed-race mother?


    amber-rose-charley-gallay-wi-genart.jpg

    White skin and blonde hair 3 quarters white and shes Black all of a sudden.....damn homie Black genes must be mighty strong or either the One-Drop-Rule still applies for Quadroons
    :-\"

    lol, black genes are strong. I thought her father was black, apparently she is half Cape Verdean so she would be of primarily African descent i guess. idk

    1298298448amber_rose_parents.jpg

    Imagine if Halle Berry and Billy-Bob Thorton had a baby:

    38471_la.jpg

    CAPE VERDIAN: The country has an estimated population (most of creole ethnicity) of about 500,000, with its capital city Praia accounting for a quarter of its citizens.

    One big happy family,,,,Dad & Brothers

    well damn
  • birdcallavelibirdcallaveli Posts: 6,508
    i guess amber rose is the white of the year since she drops the n word like plies and birdman wrote her lines, and nobody cares.
    H-Rap 180
  • AggyAFAggyAF A Weirdo but I'm Real Tho Posts: 21,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol all the Cape Verdeans i know are of primarily African descent
    birdcallaveli
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    edited April 2012
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

     Goons?birdcallaveliH-Rap 180
  • Nah SonNah Son Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    H-Rap 180 wrote:

    MGK

    K-KoKe

    Asher Roth

    KreayShawn

    Yelawolf

    DJ Pauly D

    Amber Rose

    Wrekonize/Mayday

    Limp Bizkit

    Iggy Azelia

    Thats a corny ass lineup right there
    purpngoldgoldenja
  •  Goons? Goons? Posts: 36
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

    whats your take on this? who you think gonna be the first to blow up?
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cheroke
    Goons? wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

    whats your take on this? who you think gonna be the first to blow up?

    I havent ranked them from 1-10 yet but MGK has the most organic appeal and IMO the hottest song "Wildboyz" but the machine is pushing this Iggy chick mighty heavy.

    The true winner in the sweepstakes is an artist I didn't even mention: Mac Miller....Mac Miller had 5 songs chart on Billboard since 2011 and an album that sold 300K on an Indie! So he's going to get some Major-deal offers for crazy money in 2012 just watch.


    It's a new day.



  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO @ me thinking this was an actual contest *facepalm*

    None of them dudes/chicks are selling... hip hop is safe *shrugs*

    Asher Roth is dope though... the rest of them, meh. Is that the Iggy chick in the OP pic with TI? If so, smh. Bitch look like she about to pick up a guitar and serenade some birds and shit.
    ROZAYTABERNACLEpurpngoldidoitforhiphop10
  •  Goons? Goons? Posts: 36
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cheroke
    Goons? wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

    whats your take on this? who you think gonna be the first to blow up?

    I havent ranked them from 1-10 yet but MGK has the most organic appeal and IMO the hottest song "Wildboyz" but the machine is pushing this Iggy chick mighty heavy.

    The true winner in the sweepstakes is an artist I didn't even mention: Mac Miller....Mac Miller had 5 songs chart on Billboard since 2011 and an album that sold 300K on an Indie! So he's going to get some Major-deal offers for crazy money in 2012 just watch.


    It's a new day.



    i forgot about Wack Millers sales. I still dont get how he sold what he sold without a major pushin him. i know he got the white appeal but still. He must have hired a talented marketer for his shit.
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    Goons? wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cheroke
    Goons? wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

    whats your take on this? who you think gonna be the first to blow up?

    I havent ranked them from 1-10 yet but MGK has the most organic appeal and IMO the hottest song "Wildboyz" but the machine is pushing this Iggy chick mighty heavy.

    The true winner in the sweepstakes is an artist I didn't even mention: Mac Miller....Mac Miller had 5 songs chart on Billboard since 2011 and an album that sold 300K on an Indie! So he's going to get some Major-deal offers for crazy money in 2012 just watch.


    It's a new day.



    i forgot about Wack Millers sales. I still dont get how he sold what he sold without a major pushin him. i know he got the white appeal but still. He must have hired a talented marketer for his shit.

    Combination of things.

    Hes another P.A. dude like Asher, Wiz and Meek and for some odd reason they get a lot I love from the MidWest demographic and the College crowds, his mix tapes did numbers, he stays on tour and he made the Freshmen list and he got some pretty heavy co-signs outside of HipHop.

    LOL they just said he's gonna be on 106 & Park tomorrow with Cassie, so yeah.




    .......and it didn't hurt that his song "Donald Trump" has 55 million views on YouTube.

  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.
    Funny how you claim this yet your posts about amber's ancestry were much longer and more detailed than Black Jerry's. I also didn't see him digging up pictures of her family either. strange.

    Soloman_The_WiseH-Rap 180
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.
    Funny how you claim this yet your posts about amber's ancestry were much longer and more detailed than Black Jerry's. I also didn't see him digging up pictures of her family either. strange.

    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.


    It's funny yet strange that you chose to address a post I made directed at another poster instead of answering the Thread Topic.

    It may be safe to assume that you lack the intelligence or attention-span to address the actual thread premise and would prefer to engage in off-topic banter that has nothing to do with the question posed in the OP. Strange.
    Soloman_The_WiseH-Rap 180
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

    I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.
    Funny how you claim this yet your posts about amber's ancestry were much longer and more detailed than Black Jerry's. I also didn't see him digging up pictures of her family either. strange.

    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways bullshit but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.


    It's funny yet strange that you chose to address a post I made directed at another poster instead of answering the Thread Topic.

    It may be safe to assume that you lack the intelligence or attention-span to address the actual thread premise and would prefer to engage in off-topic banter that has nothing to do with the question posed in the OP. Strange.

    lmao intelligence? for this thread? man please. you're the same guy always conversing with gee, the ic's version of the village idiot. and let's not even act like this thread is actually for any intelligent discussion, its yet another thinly-veiled h-rap's very own "im an angry black man and i hate whites" thread. but go ahead man, live how you want to in this imaginary internet world where you've made up some great character of how you really want to be. none of us are stopping you.
    Soloman_The_WiseA.J. TrillzynskiAfrica Unitedlurker_574
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    edited April 2012
    A lot of feelings and emotions from whites hiding behind avatars of Black men....

    Sensitive and emotional outsiders may find it difficult to look at a list of ten rappers/labels and pick the Label/Artist who has the best chance at succses.

    Wanna-bee's would rather name-drop and be the "Sensitive white guy who just wants to e-chat with a Black dude" while living vicariously behind pics of their rap-heroes instead of addressing the topic or simply ignoring the topic.

    Sad how predictable these fellows are.
    ROZAYTABERNACLESoloman_The_WiseH-Rap 180A.J. Trillzynskipurpngold
  • KushingtonKushington Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    I dont like none of em

    The ONLY white rapper besides em i ever found acceptable was paul wall

    but that geek mac miller and methhead mgk seem the most likely to succeed
  • hueyhuey Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if white artists had this much persecution back when they were trying to get into jazz
    Wild Self
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    Kushington wrote: »
    I dont like none of em

    The ONLY white rapper besides em i ever found acceptable was paul wall

    but that geek mac miller and methhead mgk seem the most likely to succeed

    I appreciate you contributing to the thread and acknowledging the question the thread posed.

    I was worried for a second that you would debate about MGK being on the list since his original language is Arabic.

  • KushingtonKushington Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Kushington wrote: »
    I dont like none of em

    The ONLY white rapper besides em i ever found acceptable was paul wall

    but that geek mac miller and methhead mgk seem the most likely to succeed

    I appreciate you contributing to the thread and acknowledging the question the thread posed.

    I was worried for a second that you would debate about MGK being on the list since his original language is Arabic.

    ????

    MGK is an arab?
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    Kushington wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Kushington wrote: »
    I dont like none of em

    The ONLY white rapper besides em i ever found acceptable was paul wall

    but that geek mac miller and methhead mgk seem the most likely to succeed

    I appreciate you contributing to the thread and acknowledging the question the thread posed.

    I was worried for a second that you would debate about MGK being on the list since his original language is Arabic.

    ????

    MGK is an arab?

    Naw, but I seen this Hood DVD were he was saying how his original language was Arabic and he was born in Africa or some shit, LOL, I gotta watch it again he might be a Berber.

  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 25,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man that Iggy bitch look like Louis Amundson. Tip dead wrong for that shit. His daughter got a nice lil thing going with the OMG Girls. Put some more bread behind that instead
    Lab BabyblacklsoldierGSonII_Menace_
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.