New York Post says JayZ's Brooklyn Nets should be called the "Brooklyn Nigga's".

H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Reason
Published: May 04, 2012 at 2:17 pm EST Posted by: admin

Jay%2BZ%2BMikhail%2BProkhorov%2BNew%2BJersey%2BNets%2BOwner%2B2hVxzYfudJEl.jpg

http://hiphop365.com/?p=12689

New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick is the center of controversy once again after a column that appeared in the publication Friday.

In his “Equal Time” column, Mushnick blasts the Brooklyn Nets for their continued association with rapper and minority owner Jay-Z. The passage is below:

“As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots—what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home—why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment? Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N——s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B—-hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!”

Jack Kogod (@Unsilent) posted on Twitter: “Looking forward to not reading Phil Mushnick’s independent blog.”

Sports Illustrated’s Andy Glockner (@AndyGlockner) writes: “This Phil Mushnick take on Nets/Jay-Z is remarkably ignorant.”

Ryan Jones (@TheFarmerJones) added some perspective about the source: “The thing about the Phil Mushnick column: It’s a Phil Mushnick column in The Post. He probably got a bonus.”

Everyone from SB Nation columnist Bomani Jones to Questlove of The Roots took to social media to blast the racially insensitive comments. Mushnick is no stranger to taking aim at rappers in his work, but his latest comments crossed a new line.

When the logo was revealed, Nets CEO Brett Yormark called the Jay-Z-designed logo “the new badge for Brooklyn.”

Read the Column Here:

Replies

• mindrightmindright Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭✭
    wow...

racism is still alive and kicking...

smh....and the NY Post published this nonsense??
    pop dukeROZAYTABERNACLErooster_cogburnpurpngold
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah aint no way crackas that bold...
    pop dukeAggyAFBV_rooster_cogburnrip.dilla
  • TheFixTheFix Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
  • somebody kill that maf**ka...i cant do it; gotta work this weeknd.
    pop dukeSneakDZABawse D.Loxpurpngold
  • TheFixTheFix Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet Dolan, and the Madison Square Garden board of directors is behind this shit. I could see him callin that shot, he's unstable like that. Look at that dumpster fire he calls a franchise. They know that the Nets are about to dip into their market share, and he's resorting to petty politics to sway the people to make sure their profits aren't hurt. Jay is an easy target because of what he "represents". This is a beautiful, subtle political move if my theory is true. That racist shit is just business. He still should get lil d 9 pieced though.

tumblr_lyacsr2BPh1qfno87o1_400.gif
    HyenaKillapop dukeRahlow
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 51,478 Regulator
  • rip.dillarip.dilla Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Nigga In Paris owns a stake in Brooklyn Niggas?
    TheFixAggyAFpurpngold
  • OceanStateOceanState Posts: 203
    what a fagget this guy is, hes gonna spark a race controversy, admit hes racist and possibly lose his job over the COLOR OF SOME UNIFORMS?
    pop dukePlap Sun
  • c.b.b.c.b.b. Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    lol @ the columnist implying that the Nets are using Jay Z's hiphop background to market the Nets.

Jay Z is more than a rapper, he's a successful buisness man. Just b/c he used the black/white colors for the uniform logo doesn't mean Jay is trying to completely "urbanize" the team or take some "ghetto" or "hiphop" approach to market the team
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OceanState wrote: »
    what a fagget this guy is, hes gonna spark a race controversy, admit hes racist and possibly lose his job over the COLOR OF SOME UNIFORMS?

Hell no. Apology blog coming next week duke, just watch. Like homie above said this is just politics.
  • HafBaykedHafBayked Just A Nut Lookin For A Squirrel RATCHET CITY, LAPosts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol @ h-rap

this just sounds like some writer mad he aint makin moves....
  • stringer bellstringer bell Posts: 9,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    gothamist.com/2012/05/04/ny_post_publishes_insanely_racist_c.php
    The NY Post has had their fair share of racist controversies—just recently, there was the cartoon which portrayed Muslims as terrorists—but it seems as though columnist Phil Mushnick really wants to take things to the next level. Today, he rails against the new Brooklyn Nets and Jay-Z, who owns 1.47% of the team: "Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N-s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B-hes or Hoes." Wow.

Last week, the Nets introduced the new branding for the team's big Brooklyn move, which was at least partially made by Jay-Z. We've called Mushnick for comment, and will update when we hear back—but suffice to say, this isn't the first time he's published something along these lines. We'll have another post with more on that later

since this clown works for rupert murdoch.. he'll get a raise since racism and bigotry is cool at his newspapers & "news" channels...
  • AllergensAllergens Da Sky Be DA Same Shade As Heaven chill modePosts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No niggaz allowed in the Illuminati, i remeber Jay did a interview and someone asked im about the Illuminati, his answer was to the affect of "at the end of the day,im still a black dude from marcy"....if he was jewish and named the team the "New Jersey Starz" and made it look like the star of david, nobody would say shit
    Bawse D.Lox
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan in yah gyal's pumpumPosts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this ain't the first time nor the last
    bobsblitz.com/2012/05/exclusive-phil-mushnick-responds-to.html

After a brief conversation with Phil in which he indicated that he had not heard any of the internet response, he emailed Bob. Email follows:

"Bob - Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don't call black men the N-word; I don't regard young women as bitches and whores; I don't glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand.....Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers?"

Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I'M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.

(Same column I provide support for Amar'e Stoudemire at a time when everyone in town is ripping him to shreds. That was my LEAD, too, but what does that matter?)"

Well, there you go. We've been told that NY Post editors did not have any issue with the topic and that there will be no further comment it from Phil.

you gotta love him using the whole "how can i be racist defended black person" card...
    Bawse D.Loxrooster_cogburnpurpngold
  • pop dukepop duke Posts: 375
    When does dis sh*t stop???? Months ago an unarmed 17 yr old shot dead & now dis.
    Lurker6
  • JDSTAYWITIT.JDSTAYWITIT. .........Call Me On Shiniqua's Phone #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCPosts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn thats bold ...this was in the paper or on his blog?
    edited May 2012
    blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/phil_mushnick_o.php
    Phil Mushnick Offers The Voice A (Poor) Explanation Of "New York Niggers" Column

Since our prior post about New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick's column suggesting the Brooklyn Nets should change their name to the "New York Niggers," Mushnick sent us an explanation of his offensive column.

It's pretty lame -- he basically says we can thank rappers (read: black people) like Jay-Z for the term "nigga," a word he assures us he doesn't use. He says our suggestion that his (terrible) attempt at satire was racist is "wishful and foolish."

See his explanation below.

"James - did you actually read what I wrote and what I've been writing for 30 years? I don't call black men niggas; my kids never heard the word until folks such as Jay-Z came along. I'd suggest you talk to him about it. What I wrote today was on Jay Z's artistry, and only the wishful and foolish would so badly misinterpret and mischaracterize it as you plan to do. Thanks - mushnick."

If you missed Mushnick's column, you can read it in its entirety here. Below is the part that currently has the blogosphere calling Mushnick a racist:

"As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots -- what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new "urban" home -- why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?

Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N-s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B-hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!"

Speaking of "all the way," the same should apply to Mushnick -- in other words, if he thinks he's got the chops to get away with using the word "nigger," why the censorship? Ditch the dashes and put it out there, Phil -- you mean "New York Niggers." That's what you wrote -- a few dashes doesn't make it any less offensive.

When asked if he at least understands why people are in such a huff over his column, Mushnick tells the Voice "I'm far more surprised that Jay-Z's form of artistry has been so quietly indulged for so long!"

In any event, as we mentioned in our prior post, Mushnick may want to get his lipstick handy -- chances are Jesse Jackson's ass will soon be in need of a smooch.
  • BK ProductBK Product Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be fired... ASAP

but they'll prolly have to be a month or 2 of protests before anything happens
    pop dukeNothingButTheTruthpurpngold
  • StewStew Im In My Permanent PRhyme We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 34,653 Regulator
    This is sad and dude should be fired immediately. He's been in this business for years and edited this crap. No excuses for this mess
    pop dukeNothingButTheTruthpurpngold
  • Supreme_GentlemanSupreme_Gentleman #RapeCulture Posts: 19,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God damn, chalk up another L for new york.
    Already Home_17BK ProductSneakDZAROZAYTABERNACLEHyenaKillapurpngold
    edited May 2012
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »
    damn thats bold ...this was in the paper or on his blog?

paper.. where the ny post writes all their racist bullshit...