Nasir's top 25 favorite albums

2

Replies

  • HarlemThumzUpHarlemThumzUp Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ocelot wrote: »
    Marvin Gaye, Here, My Dear (1978)

    ?f=CHANNEL_IMAGES%2FMUSIC%2F2012%2F05%2Fnas-25-favorite-albums%2Fheremydear_251069.jpg&w=620&h=400&q=80&interlace=0&bb=1&bg=ffffff&sig=4667fe260c309917a59354f5a4ea37a3Label: Tamla

    Nas: “When I first heard it, no one I knew ever heard it. It’s funny that so many people love Marvin Gaye but never knew about this album that was so personal. It’s crazy how my new record has a little bit of that. Motown only put out limited copies and it was a risky record. I think the music industry wanted a more hitting album but that record he did was his expression. I’m sure he caught a lot of slack from it.

    “I feel like I’m in the same place that he was at when he made that album [because he was getting divorced and I’m getting divorced]. I feel like Life Is Good is my Here, My Dear. They’re similar in a lot of ways. I relate to him as a human being, as a star.
    “It made me like him a lot more because he was an artist enough to just say what he had to say. I like when he’s talking about Anna Gordy, who he was married to. I know what that’s like. I know what he’s singing. I’ve lived it myself. I really relate to that record.”


    Im hyped... I swear to Gawd Nas if you fuck this CD up im done with you

    nah see Marvin made this album to pay off his wife in alimony...hence the title.
  • b@squ1@t reduxb@squ1@t redux i can tell by your mustache youve never been involved in street activities iguana blood poseidon DNA slangin zeus dickPosts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nas' last album made me nod off and hit an innocent pedestrian


    he currently owes me 275k
    ocelotblazn101H-Rap 180pop dukerip.dilla
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nate D.O. wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »
    Marvin Gaye, Here, My Dear (1978)

    ?f=CHANNEL_IMAGES%2FMUSIC%2F2012%2F05%2Fnas-25-favorite-albums%2Fheremydear_251069.jpg&w=620&h=400&q=80&interlace=0&bb=1&bg=ffffff&sig=4667fe260c309917a59354f5a4ea37a3Label: Tamla

    Nas: “When I first heard it, no one I knew ever heard it. It’s funny that so many people love Marvin Gaye but never knew about this album that was so personal. It’s crazy how my new record has a little bit of that. Motown only put out limited copies and it was a risky record. I think the music industry wanted a more hitting album but that record he did was his expression. I’m sure he caught a lot of slack from it.

    “I feel like I’m in the same place that he was at when he made that album [because he was getting divorced and I’m getting divorced]. I feel like Life Is Good is my Here, My Dear. They’re similar in a lot of ways. I relate to him as a human being, as a star.
    “It made me like him a lot more because he was an artist enough to just say what he had to say. I like when he’s talking about Anna Gordy, who he was married to. I know what that’s like. I know what he’s singing. I’ve lived it myself. I really relate to that record.”


    Im hyped... I swear to Gawd Nas if you fuck this CD up im done with you

    nah see Marvin made this album to pay off his wife in alimony...hence the title.

    Content wise they're similar. Doesn't mean it has to be the same exact circumstances. Marvin was clever as hell for how he flipped that shit though. I wonder if Anna got like 100% royalties for that album.. like did Marvin make any money?
    pop duke
  • real_hh_repreal_hh_rep Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭
    This is pretty solid list. Nas gave love to other genres and all people that infuenced him the most. Good job Nas. Life is good.
    pop duke
  • HarlemThumzUpHarlemThumzUp Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Nate D.O. wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »
    Marvin Gaye, Here, My Dear (1978)

    ?f=CHANNEL_IMAGES%2FMUSIC%2F2012%2F05%2Fnas-25-favorite-albums%2Fheremydear_251069.jpg&w=620&h=400&q=80&interlace=0&bb=1&bg=ffffff&sig=4667fe260c309917a59354f5a4ea37a3Label: Tamla

    Nas: “When I first heard it, no one I knew ever heard it. It’s funny that so many people love Marvin Gaye but never knew about this album that was so personal. It’s crazy how my new record has a little bit of that. Motown only put out limited copies and it was a risky record. I think the music industry wanted a more hitting album but that record he did was his expression. I’m sure he caught a lot of slack from it.

    “I feel like I’m in the same place that he was at when he made that album [because he was getting divorced and I’m getting divorced]. I feel like Life Is Good is my Here, My Dear. They’re similar in a lot of ways. I relate to him as a human being, as a star.
    “It made me like him a lot more because he was an artist enough to just say what he had to say. I like when he’s talking about Anna Gordy, who he was married to. I know what that’s like. I know what he’s singing. I’ve lived it myself. I really relate to that record.”


    Im hyped... I swear to Gawd Nas if you fuck this CD up im done with you

    nah see Marvin made this album to pay off his wife in alimony...hence the title.

    Content wise they're similar. Doesn't mean it has to be the same exact circumstances. Marvin was clever as hell for how he flipped that shit though. I wonder if Anna got like 100% royalties for that album.. like did Marvin make any money?

    nope..all of it went to her ass...Title and meaning is goat to me .
  • coolc31coolc31 Posts: 517
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Would had been awesome instead of Reasonable Doubt he named Blueprint

    Blueprint is clearly better than RD.

    I guess it isn't to him. It isn't to me either, but it did have Takeover so maybe he didn't really listen to that album.
  • rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    LOL @ "Why did NaS pick this album or that album or not this album". Sorry to burst some of ya'll bubble but it's called "NaS FAVORITE 25 ALBUMS" not yours. And The list is fire, top to bottom. I am shocked a Tupac or Bob Marley album didn't make it but overall it's a solid list. Also the whole "Off the Wall Vs Thriller" is like "Star Wars Vs Empire Strikes back". Both are classics, both are timeless but Star Wars had the Impact, Thriller is Star Wars. Reasonable Doubt is a Classic album, doesn't matter if it wasn't Classic when it dropped, it became that over time so people need to move on. I'm shocked he picked LAD over RTD for Big but I've noticed most rap fans know but secretly don't want to admit that Big was better on LAD than RTD. Thought the list was good, showed love to Jazz, RnB, even West coast and Southern Hip Hop.
  • rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Would had been awesome instead of Reasonable Doubt he named Blueprint

    Blueprint is clearly better than RD.

    Nope, Lyrically Jay on RD SLAUGHTERS BP Jay it's not even close. Production is the only thing going for BP, he didn't even spit that great on some of the songs (See Hova Holito).
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    How can you disagree with Nas' own opinion??

    Because I hold 23 out of 25 of the albums he listed in high regard so I'm saying his list is on point other than those 2 albums.

    Yet the two albums you questioned are considered Timeless Classics especially LAD, it's not even debatable.
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL @ "Why did NaS pick this album or that album or not this album". Sorry to burst some of ya'll bubble but it's called "NaS FAVORITE 25 ALBUMS" not yours. And The list is fire, top to bottom. I am shocked a Tupac or Bob Marley album didn't make it but overall it's a solid list. Also the whole "Off the Wall Vs Thriller" is like "Star Wars Vs Empire Strikes back". Both are classics, both are timeless but Star Wars had the Impact, Thriller is Star Wars. Reasonable Doubt is a Classic album, doesn't matter if it wasn't Classic when it dropped, it became that over time so people need to move on. I'm shocked he picked LAD over RTD for Big but I've noticed most rap fans know but secretly don't want to admit that Big was better on LAD than RTD. Thought the list was good, showed love to Jazz, RnB, even West coast and Southern Hip Hop.

    I'm not surprised at all that he excluded BoB Marley, even tho BoB Marley is a Goat.

    Nas grew up with a father that was a Jazz musician and he was raised in a household were Jazz was constantly played which is why you see 3 Jazz albums on his list.

    Nas picked LAD because of the lyricism on it, RTD wasnt as lyrical.


    ....what does it say about the state of music when all Nas favorite albums were before 1997?
  • rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all that he excluded BoB Marley, even tho BoB Marley is a Goat.

    Nas grew up with a father that was a Jazz musician and he was raised in a household were Jazz was constantly played which is why you see 3 Jazz albums on his list.

    Nas picked LAD because of the lyricism on it, RTD wasnt as lyrical.


    ....what does it say about the state of music when all Nas favorite albums were before 1997?

    RTD Not Lyrical? You can't be serious with that comment. NaS probably picked LAD cause he respected it when Big Ethered him on "Kick in the Door" but he also stated that "My Downfall" was one of the most lyrical songs he heard in an interview a while back. Oh an Aquemini came out in 98 but I see your point, He didn't pick anything past the 90's for a reason, he even knows music in general declined heavily since then.

    pop dukebuttuh_b
  • Say WhatSay What Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    LOL @ "Why did NaS pick this album or that album or not this album". Sorry to burst some of ya'll bubble but it's called "NaS FAVORITE 25 ALBUMS" not yours. And The list is fire, top to bottom. I am shocked a Tupac or Bob Marley album didn't make it but overall it's a solid list. Also the whole "Off the Wall Vs Thriller" is like "Star Wars Vs Empire Strikes back". Both are classics, both are timeless but Star Wars had the Impact, Thriller is Star Wars. Reasonable Doubt is a Classic album, doesn't matter if it wasn't Classic when it dropped, it became that over time so people need to move on. I'm shocked he picked LAD over RTD for Big but I've noticed most rap fans know but secretly don't want to admit that Big was better on LAD than RTD. Thought the list was good, showed love to Jazz, RnB, even West coast and Southern Hip Hop.

    I'm not surprised at all that he excluded BoB Marley, even tho BoB Marley is a Goat.

    Nas grew up with a father that was a Jazz musician and he was raised in a household were Jazz was constantly played which is why you see 3 Jazz albums on his list.

    Nas picked LAD because of the lyricism on it, RTD wasnt as lyrical.


    ....what does it say about the state of music when all Nas favorite albums were before 1997?

    It says he came up with most of these & he likes more than rap
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all that he excluded BoB Marley, even tho BoB Marley is a Goat.

    Nas grew up with a father that was a Jazz musician and he was raised in a household were Jazz was constantly played which is why you see 3 Jazz albums on his list.

    Nas picked LAD because of the lyricism on it, RTD wasnt as lyrical.


    ....what does it say about the state of music when all Nas favorite albums were before 1997?

    RTD Not Lyrical? You can't be serious with that comment. NaS probably picked LAD cause he respected it when Big Ethered him on "Kick in the Door" but he also stated that "My Downfall" was one of the most lyrical songs he heard in an interview a while back. Oh an Aquemini came out in 98 but I see your point, He didn't pick anything past the 90's for a reason, he even knows music in general declined heavily since then.

    I said it wasn't as lyrical as LAD. I think BiG used more complex rhyme schemes on LAD.

    "picture that
    with a Kodack
    Insta-matac
    I don't get down like that
    Lay my game down quite flat
    Sweetness were you parked at
    petitness but that ass fat
    got a body make a nicca wanna eat dat"


    B.I.G was disrespectful for the things he said on "Long Kiss" so I will never praise that album but lyrically he did his thing, I don't think he ethered Nas tho.
    pop duke
  • rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    I said it wasn't as lyrical as LAD. I think BiG used more complex rhyme schemes on LAD.

    Ok, miss read your quote, point taken cause I agree but his lyricism on RTD is not that much lower, it was still superb, it's just LAD he was one some outer body shit. Here's what NaS said about the Album:

    The Notorious B.I.G., Life After Death (1997)
    Label: Bad Boy

    Nas: “It was ahead of its time. He rapped from a perspective of someone who lived a full life. He rapped from a perspective of someone looking ahead, someone who was looking to move on from one phase to another. It was a double album which was a bold move. It also showed that he was an artist of substance, so much that one album would not be enough. He’s honestly one of the greatest to ever do it.”

  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?f=CHANNEL_IMAGES%2FMUSIC%2F2012%2F05%2Fnas-25-favorite-albums%2Fdeathcertificate_251069.jpg&w=620&h=400&q=80&interlace=0&bb=1&bg=ffffff&sig=773ffa469125d38a3207568ca847de43

    Ice Cube, Death Certificate (1991)
    Label: Priority/EMI

    Nas: “Death Certificate is one of the albums that changed my life along with Down By Law, Criminal Minded and a few others. Death Certificate hit me at a time when I was hustling, when I was hanging with hustlers, when I was making life-changing decisions in my life. Death Certificate spoke to me. To this day, it’s one of the boldest, bravest, realest rap albums that will ever be made.”

    Nas knows what's up
    pop dukeDMTxTHC*~queenbee~*
  • KeepinItHundredKeepinItHundred Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭
    I'm suprised there was no mobb or wu-tang, but it's his list.
    *~queenbee~*juan travolta
  • ocelotocelot Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised he picked Aquemini over Miseducation... Get the goons Lauryn...
    alphajjcStoneColdMikey
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Would had been awesome instead of Reasonable Doubt he named Blueprint

    Blueprint is clearly better than RD.

    Nope, Lyrically Jay on RD SLAUGHTERS BP Jay it's not even close. Production is the only thing going for BP, he didn't even spit that great on some of the songs (See Hova Holito).
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    How can you disagree with Nas' own opinion??

    Because I hold 23 out of 25 of the albums he listed in high regard so I'm saying his list is on point other than those 2 albums.

    Yet the two albums you questioned are considered Timeless Classics especially LAD, it's not even debatable.

    It is debatable because I'm debating it fool. They're not timeless or classic to me and a lot of other people. That's my opinion.

    And flow wise, song crafting wise, etc.. Jay is way better on Blueprint. It's a way better put together album.
    juan travolta
  • *~queenbee~**~queenbee~* Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    He has his own taste and opinions, but blah to that list. Oh well.....
    juan travoltablazn101KingJamalThe Recipe
  • DR. JEKDR. JEK Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably only named reasonable dought cuz Jay Z used him for the Dead Presidents hook. It fed his ego
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Would had been awesome instead of Reasonable Doubt he named Blueprint

    Blueprint is clearly better than RD.

    Nope, Lyrically Jay on RD SLAUGHTERS BP Jay it's not even close. Production is the only thing going for BP, he didn't even spit that great on some of the songs (See Hova Holito).
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    How can you disagree with Nas' own opinion??

    Because I hold 23 out of 25 of the albums he listed in high regard so I'm saying his list is on point other than those 2 albums.

    Yet the two albums you questioned are considered Timeless Classics especially LAD, it's not even debatable.

    It is debatable because I'm debating it fool. They're not timeless or classic to me and a lot of other people. That's my opinion.

    And flow wise, song crafting wise, etc.. Jay is way better on Blueprint. It's a way better put together album.

    Disagree. I think alot of people like to give BP1 so much acolades cuz it reminds them of the whole Nas vs Jay-Z era and that it introduced Kanye to the game but to me that album ain't a classic, and yeah i am a Jay-Z fan.

    To me Black Album was better than Bp1 and i would call that album a classic. The lyrics were so sharp and the flow was like water on that album. Like @rapmastermind said Bp1 is def a good album but he didnt even spit that great on alot of the songs. You could tell that that's the album Jay-Z tried to become better at crafting songs which is why he slacked on the lyrics a lil bit and tried making more appealing songs.
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 25,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Ya'll kill me getting mad. List says "FAVORITE". Which means if the man put Soulja Boy's last album on the list it's still HIS list
    juan travoltaD-Jackinfamous114H-Rap 180NothingButTheTruth
  • KeepinItHundredKeepinItHundred Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭
    He has his own taste and opinions, but blah to that list. Oh well.....

    what would have liked to see on the list?
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one in this thread is mad about his list though? Where did anyone indicate they were mad?

    You're right. It is his list obviously. People just pointing out how they felt it could be better in whatever way. It's actually one of the best lists I've seen.
    H-Rap 180
2
Sign In or Register to comment.