Who Do You Think Made The Bigger Impact Of Their Own Genre: Kurt Cobain or Tupac Shakur

Replies

• kacee139kacee139 Posts: 2,537
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    this is a real sketchy question cuz it all comes down to how you define Kurt's "genre":

if you make it simply "Rock Music" then Pac wins in a landslide cuz Kurt ain't fuckin wit Lennon or Hendrix and Kurt would be the first to co-sign dat

if you narrow it to "GRUNGE Rock" tho.....Kurt's death fucking killed Grunge single-handedly........like when Big died, major label execs were scared it was gonna kill Rap Music like Kurt's death killed Grunge

make it "Alternative Rock" and then its a toss-up lol

really? that happen
  • _Menace__Menace_ Posts: 20,881
    Pac is considered as THE GOAT in Hip Hop to most.

I have never heard anyone say Kurt Cobain was the GOAT Rock N Roll artist.

Kurt had his whole life ahead of him instead of making a song about his depression he took his own life.
    While Pac had his life taken from him.

Pac made more and better music and was in movies.

Kurt made good songs but not as good. Pac is the most influential EMCEE of all time.

• _Menace__Menace_ Posts: 20,881
    easily Pac. Hiphop was barley 15 years in the mid 90's, while Rock had at least 35 years worth of history in the mid 90's.

Nirvana didn't create grunge, it was the sound that was hot in Seattle at the time. they and Pearl Jam brought it to the main stream. nirvana cobain gets the credit cuz he died young.

Cobain impacted his genre while alive,pac ruined hip hop when he was alive and only became this world famous person after death

The answer is Kobain

Are u Delores Tucker flaming son or some thing?

Bob Dole queer nephew ?

u mad your uncle is too old to understand the way the game's told???
    Kurt noone in his genre of music even comes close , while Pac as big as he was had peers who are comparable
    if u talking Grunge than pearl Jam>>>>>>> nirvana

Dead @ Delores Tucker's son
    Tupac Shakur may be gone, but he’s still winning awards. Actually, his hologram won the prestigious Titanium and Integrated Lions Award at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.

http://popcrush.com/tupac-shakur-hologram-prize-cannes-advertising-festival/

600272_339914686086593_2025543134_n.jpg
  • DanknDrankDanknDrank Posts: 3,269
    Lmao, I refuse to give my credit to a weak mf who gave up too easy on life and blew his fucking brains out over a someone wouldn't leave this earth until somebody decided to take him off of it

2pac>Kurt BlowBrains
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,011
    edited June 2012
    Nirvana changed not only rock but popular music period... Before him there were only pretty sounding new wave bands, super bubble gum pop stars and glamorous over produced records on the radio.

Upon Nirvana's release of Nevermind, they broke the walls down and brought the punk "DIY mentality" back to the for front, combining the pop music with punk (Grunge is what idiots and critics say), and opening the door for all these other similar bands who were already doing there thing.

You no longer needed to have a stadium band, thousand dollars of equipment, shiny suits, pretty hair, and 4 minute guitar solos to get radio play.

Cobain just brought original three man rock back and destroyed all these "bubblegum artist" with there perfect sound.

While Pac is highly influential as a person, his genre was hip hop and nothing he did drastically changed the way hip hop sounded sonically. At most he inspired a hand full of people to speak up for themselves, but most people inspired by Pac who did music, just became the delusional thugs who are ruining music today.

Kurt by a landslide, he gave the art back to artist. Not to mention Cobain's lyrics are unparalleled by any ive seen in any genre since him.

Also, it is under heavy debate as to whether Kurt Cobain actually committed suicide for all yall making ignorant comments. The slightest bit of research about his death, and you will quickly find that all evidence almost absolutely points to homicide/
  • Tommy bilfigerTommy bilfiger Posts: 11,126
    edited June 2012
    when pac died he had 2 gold albums and one plat album

He had to die to sell records and all his movies were d list straight to dvd type flicks ,his impact was after death son had to die to be called "goat"

His revisionist dickriders think he ran the rap game that never happened
    jono wrote: »
    Nirvana for real.
    Cobain & Nirvana sort of changed popular rock music. The difference before and after them, even with limited material is maddening.

Pac didn't say anything that Chuck D or Ice-T or Ice Cube hadn't already said. He was re-treading social consciousness, not exploring anything new, he also sold out and started making primarily "gangsta" rap virtually abandoning his social commentary roots.

Word P.E. and Ice cube already dropped socially conscious music while tupack was a bacc up dancer/dressed like brother j from the x clan on same song

Then he started spittin at cameras/coonin and rapin our sistas and gettin locked up.Pac was a lame

• Ms. SweeetfaceMs. Sweeetface Posts: 393
    edited June 2012
    Kurt Cobain and Pac brought philosophy into their music by expressing thought.

I don't want to start anything, but when people start saying they liked everything Pac has done....why the fuck Rap music sound they way it is?
    http://slumz.boxden.com/f87/tupacs-mother-crying-about-her-sons-death-1997-how-broke-he-just-6-months-after-he-died-1594040/

the 1:08 mark says otherwise this is dateline from feb 1997 5 months after he died

Silly revisionists pac died broke and had 2 gold albums and 1 plat he wasnt runnin shit and he aint sell millions of records until they released all that posthumus trash and flooded the market after he died

http://slumz.boxden.com/f87/tupacs-mother-crying-about-her-sons-death-1997-how-broke-he-just-6-months-after-he-died-1594040/

the 1:08 mark says otherwise this is dateline from feb 1997 5 months after he died

Silly revisionists pac died broke and had 2 gold albums and 1 plat he wasnt runnin shit and he aint sell millions of records until they released all that posthumus trash and flooded the market after he died

2PACALYPSE NOW

Release Date: November 12, 1991 Certification: Gold April 19, 1995

STRICTLY 4 MY N.I.G.G.A.Z. ..

Release Date: february 16, 1993 Certification: Platinum April 19, 1995

THUG LIFE vol.1

Release Date: September 26, 1994 Certification: Gold January 24, 1996

ME AGAINST THE WORLD

Release Date: February 27, 1995 Certification: Double Platinum December 6, 1995

ALL EYEZ ON ME

Release Date: February 13, 1996 Certification: 9x Platinum June 18, 1998

your info is wrong
    edited June 2012
    Ok 2 plat albums and 1 gold thuglife was a compilation album

he still died broke and according to what u posted sold about 5 million albums while alive

Lmao thats the "Goat" even tho he didnt sell 95% of his records until after he got clapped in vegas

It took his debut 4 years to go gold and his 2nd album 2 years to go plat Nuff said

Ok 2 plat albums and 1 gold thuglife was a compilation album

he still died broke and according to what u posted sold about 5 million albums while alive

Lmao thats the "Goat" even tho he didnt sell 95% of his records until after he got clapped in vegas

It took his debut 4 years to go gold and his 2nd album 2 years to go plat Nuff said

5 albums released before his death: 2 gold, 1 platinum , 2 multi platinum before he died

And Thug Life was not a compilation it was a group album with Pac appearing on 8 of the 10 tracks

Its cool to have your opinion but dont try to change facts
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 34,066
    Nirvana accomplished in 1 album in what Pac did in 4 albums and some bs to gain popularity (going in and out of jail, shooting niggas,etc).
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,193
    Nevermind's impact on rock>>>>>>any Pac album's impact on hip hop

This is a hip hop forum, so Kurt might mostly get shitted on here.
  • Lab Baby wrote: »

Not at all...while some of these Rappers sampling some of his music. IJS

Thug life was a compilation album
    The group featured Big Syke, Macadoshis, Mopreme, The Rated R and Tupac Shakur

theres a song that pacs not on

Pac had 2 solo songs he was featured on 7 other songs along with the rest of them wacc ass niggas

Son still sold 95% of his albums after he died and took years to go plat you helped make my point for me

I stand corrected on the 1 plat album

• Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,193
    Lab Baby wrote: »

Not at all...while some of these Rappers sampling some of his music. IJS

True... but Nirvana started a whole genre... and countless bands were inspired by Nirvana, even when Kurt was alive.

Anyone who knows Tori Amos knows she's kind of a big deal... this would be equivalent to Rakim sampling a local cat's song

Thug life was a compilation album
    The group featured Big Syke, Macadoshis, Mopreme, The Rated R and Tupac Shakur

theres a song that pacs not on

Pac had 2 solo songs he was featured on 7 other songs along with the rest of them wacc ass niggas

Son still sold 95% of his albums after he died and took years to go plat you helped make my point for me

I stand corrected on the 1 plat album

Thug life vol. 1 is not a compilation but whatever , it only went gold while he was alive.
    And he had 5 gold or platinum singles while alive
  • makaveli got fans world wide and a list of hits

not just 1 song
  • DanknDrankDanknDrank Posts: 3,269
    Lmao @ remedial trolling that is Tommy's unemployed Floyd, dusty Dick award winning ass...and yall falling into into it

A compilation album IS a group album...yall all lost
  • Swiffness!Swiffness! Posts: 6,538
    kacee139 wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    this is a real sketchy question cuz it all comes down to how you define Kurt's "genre":

if you make it simply "Rock Music" then Pac wins in a landslide cuz Kurt ain't fuckin wit Lennon or Hendrix and Kurt would be the first to co-sign dat

if you narrow it to "GRUNGE Rock" tho.....Kurt's death fucking killed Grunge single-handedly........like when Big died, major label execs were scared it was gonna kill Rap Music like Kurt's death killed Grunge

make it "Alternative Rock" and then its a toss-up lol

really? that happen

yea man. In his book, Chuck D talked about attending summits w/ other rap legends hosted by music execs who were genuinely worried about the music's viability going forward after Big's death.....I mean you gotta realize back then ppl kinda took it as a given that Snoop or somebody else was next. I remember the Philly Daily News headline on March 10th was "RAP TAKES ANOTHER B.I.G. HIT". It really seemed plausible for a minute that rap music could just fall off the map cuz all its stars were getting killed.
  • BobOblahBobOblah Posts: 4,754
    Nirvana made a sub-genre of rock popular and changed the direction of rock (they didn't invent grunge). Also, grunge is dead. Who listens to it now? Rap is more popular than ever.
  • OuncemanOunceman Posts: 5,062
    Both were pretty influential in their own right. especially their posthumous releases. but if we are to say whose impact is still felt to day i would have to give it to pac.

kurt was neither the first nor the best artist within the grunge genre. but he still came out with great music and he was the one who popularized it and brought it to the forefront. he was also synonomous with the generation-x movement of the 90's. but for the most part after his death, grunge died along with him and as is now something of the past. the only remnants of that movement alive today are post-grunge leftover acts like dave grohl and the foo fighters, nickelback, daughtry, and 3 doors down. and, with the exception of daughtry, even those bands dont have the same prominence now that they use to have.

pac on the other hand's impact can still be felt in the hip hop industry today. the recent hologram at the coachella festival is evidence of this. u also have college course thats can be taken examining his lyrics. not to mention there is a biopic soon to be released about his life. young jeezy has mentioned that tm 103 was heavily influenced by his music. so yes, his impact is still alive and well today