The Social Lounge Debate Challenge - Sign Up

SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH EditorPosts: 22,027 Regulator
edited October 2012 in The Social Lounge
I'm sure yall remember the Reason Debates, same principle here. I was inspired by the Obama/Romney debate so I decided to set off a similar theme in the Social Lounge. I'm looking for some posters to sign up for this. The debates will be centered around politics, economics, American history, civil rights, current events and other issues from drug legalization to race & crime (Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman). I want to see who's down to join up.

Since it's Social Lounge I want to weed out the BS that may ensue LOL so as a result I'm also looking for some judges. We'll still have polls in the threads but there will be judges to accurately help me weigh on some of the debates. For judges I'm looking for folks that are gonna be unbiased and fair. I will be one of the judges so I won't be debating, I just need 2 more posters who want to be judges tho.

I'm looking for about 6 to 8 posters tops for this tournament, but of course the more the better.

Please feel free to drop topic ideas and more, any input would be very helpful.

Regards,
Sion.
Young_Chitlin

Replies

• DarcSkiesDarcSkies These. Post. Aint. Freeeeee! Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These used to be epic when I was mod. Hopefully they'll be just as interesting.

U gotta lay some ground rules first though. Cuz choosing a winner will be hard.
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 22,027 Regulator
    Darxwell wrote: »

Oh shnap ! Good looking out LOLOL

Each poster will have to post 5 rebuttals (if you demand less than let me know). And there will be a word limit of no more than 500 words per rebuttal. Anything above that will be penalized. In the finals I'll make adjustments to this tho. There will be a panel of 3 judges.

• Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief, FCC Member, IC Task Force General ASUville, PhoenixPosts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to sign up for The Social Lounge Debate Challenge.

Sion
  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shit! I've got midterms coming up so I won't be able to participate this time but this should be interesting as hell.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in too. As a judge or a debator, I'm down. This should be interesting/fun. I'll be looking forward to it.
    Sion
  • PimpMVPPimpMVP Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Count me in too. As a judge or a debator, I'm down. This should be interesting/fun. I'll be looking forward to it.

^^^This goes for me also.
    Sion
  • PimpMVPPimpMVP Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to be a judge for this...assuming people are going to be serious about it.

Was this aimed at me?

I'll have you know I'm the reigning Reason's Debate champion. I beat Sion in the second round. *cough cough*
    Sion
  • Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief, FCC Member, IC Task Force General ASUville, PhoenixPosts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll debate anyone, they can choose the topic.

We can debate the "philosophy" of listing golf clubs on eBay.
    Sion
    So far things are looking good. We currently have:

Young_Chitlin
    Plutarch
    PimpMVP
    SawedOff-N-SkiMask
    heyslick (I think)

I just want 2-4 more people to sign up to debate and we can get this running.

@ParallelRhymes I love that idea to have a point system. I think we can have a point system out of 5 and also judge off of content, delivery, truthfulness and style. If you have other suggestions let me know fam. It will work. If you're down to be a judge I'm cool with that too. Now we just need 1 more judge and I have someone in mind who will.

I want to get this going by Wednesday.

@jono dayum fam it would've been dope if you could've joined but it's all good. Best of luck with your exams.
    @Darxwell

Aye fam you down to join up to debate ?
    edited October 2012
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    I'd love to be a judge for this...assuming people are going to be serious about it.

Was this aimed at me?

I'll have you know I'm the reigning Reason's Debate champion. I beat Sion in the second round. *cough cough*

No this was more of a comment towards other things that get set up on the IC (like the recent IC Olympics) that fall through because posters don't give a shit about them after 2 posts...if people are willing to do a little research and not just spout out opinions with no basis then yeah I think it could be something great and I would love to read some of the things and critique.

I think some categories should be set up though and that be what the judges make their score off (not just a he wins and this is why thing).

Here is an example of the criteria in a traditional debate: flynn.debating.net/old/judge.htm

I think we can alter some of those to fit our environment.

yeah that all sounds good. i'm sure that we'll get everything straightened out in due time.

there are some other cats here in SL that could participate. i think they'd like it.
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sign me up doc!
    Sion
    The Social Lounge Debates will start up on Friday.....

Major shout outs to all who signed up so far ! This is moving much better than I anticipated. There's still room for new people to join up if your interested.
    edited October 2012
    Was a format decided upon? Time limits? Judging criteria?

Time limits 24 hours per round to respond. Best of 3 rounds. Each debate should take no longer than 3 days.

Judging criteria:

Content, Delivery, & Fact

Judging criteria can be out of 3

^^ This is what I have in mind.... since your also gonna be a judge let me know if you're cool with this too. If not throw in suggestions and we'll change it up.

It doesn't have to start up on Friday. I can be Saturday or Sunday. Just as long as this aspect is handled prior to the event.
  • sullysully Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darxwell wrote: »

More epic when I was mod.
  • I'm in, but these fools better look out. You're lookin at a debate champ.
    Sion
    I want to debate @TheLaureate first.
    Sion
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Hitler's VaginaPosts: 16,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn this will be fun to watch, can't wait
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Damn this will be fun to watch, can't wait

All of the threads will be posted up on Monday.

I hope yall will be ready then. Best of luck and all the best.

Regards,
    Sion.
    This will be starting up soon you guys sorry for the wait. I'm just trying to make sure everything is 100% before I start it. I want this to work out.
    Young_ChitlinPlutarch
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    Is it too late to sign up?
    And Step wrote: »
    Is it too late to sign up?

You can still sign up fam, would you like to join ?
    Alright sorry this took so long SMMFH but here is what the matchups are and the debate topics:

@Young_Chitlin
    @Plutarch
    @PimpMVP
    @SawedOff-N-SkiMask
    @kingblaze84
    @TheLaureate

Matchups & Debate topics:

Young_Chitlin vs. TheLaureate - Should the United States have a vested interest in Syria ? Chitlin - Yes , Laureate - No

Plutach vs. PimpMVP - Was the U.S. justified in dropping bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki ? Plutarch - Yes , PimpMVP - No

SawedOff-N-SkiMask vs. Kingblaze84 - Should marijuana be legalized nationwide ? Sawedoff - No , Kingblaze84 - Yes

Now there is still room for people to sign up I purposely left that option open because people are gonna hit me up asking if they can still join up, plus we do need one more battle to add in.

Another thing too... if you don't like the topics I listed feel free to suggest others and I'll be happy to change it up for something more interesting. Each of the topic listed can be argued from both perspectives. I'm going to post the actual threads for the debate on Tuesday. I want to gauge everyone's reaction to the debate topics first.

The judges btw will be:

@janklow
    @ParallelRhymes
    and myself

The rules are as follows:

Time limits 24 hours per round to respond. Best of 3 rounds. Each debate should take no longer than 3 days.

Judging criteria:

Content, Delivery, & Fact

Judging criteria can be out of 3

Welp that's everything... I can't wait to get this started.

Regards,
    Sion.
    Young_ChitlinPlutarchLUClEN
    Nice job. Great, classic questions. Though the Syria one seems pretty tough imho. This should be a good debate. If one more poster joins, he can debate And Step for the fourth leg.

So what was the word limit for each round again? Or will that me made clear later on when threads go up?