Can an Adult be Described as "Shy"?

• atribecalledgabiatribecalledgabi Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm shy & introverted around people i don't really know...but i don't like the company of a bunch of people in general. i'm cool in small groups.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Philly by way of Ca$hvillePosts: 2,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh i'm sick of being called "shy" too but nobody really cares about the distinctions so meh.

but yeah, i'm like most of you all too. i'm sometimes socially retarded, but i'm cool and very laid back. almost too laid back for some people. on numerous occasions i've had people get mad at me because i haven't gone out of my way to talk to them and have them get to know me. shit is weird. i have no problems shooting the shit with anyone, but if you're not my homeboy/homegirl or an attractive lady who isn't a complete bitch, then chances are that you gotta make the first move because i might just not give a fuck to even realize that you might be cool too. meh.

i agree with homeboy who said that he'd rather listen than talk. i'd rather listen or think than talk most of the time. this world/life is already too loud as it is. i've probably gone whole days saying as many words some people say in an hour. i agree though, it has as much to do with nature (my parents are chill too) as it has to do with nurture.

perhaps some of you need to check this out:
  • Bawse D.LoxBawse D.Lox Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if u a guy you can afford to be shy to a certain extent. to the extent that you need an external ice breaker for u to do your thing & feel comfortable, which is cool.

but to be a 100% shy male, is not a good look. especially if your black n latino.

shit even females.
    a women can be afford to be a lil shyer then guys, but she gotta have an extent too.
    a grown ass shy women is not a good look either.

• NIKE...NIKE... Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Chi nigga b..

Scared niggas stay in the house..

• damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real Lady1 wrote: »
    can anyone answer this? Do you think introverts are punished because we don't tell it all? do u feel tortured as a introvert, like people are always spreading rumors, so you constantly making yourself talk so people can leave u alone?

I go thru this.

i think people jus think introverts are " crazy" or "weird" when in reality we jus see life different
    Ajackson17Wild Self
  • PurrPurr Evil Chuck Season. Jumpman jumpman Jumpman dat girl up to something!!!Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, it's considered a personality trait.
  • High RevolutionaryHigh Revolutionary Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an introvert but I know how to get out of my shell when I need to.

A closed mouth don't get fed.
    Wild Self
  • Ajackson17Ajackson17 On the shoulders of Giants and Elders in history UniversePosts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissK wrote: »
    *introvert post*

For my fellow introverts and those wanting to know more about us check out Susan Cain

“Introverts, in contrast, may have strong social skills and enjoy parties and business meetings, but after a while wish they were home in their pajamas. They prefer to devote their social energies to close friends, colleagues, and family. They listen more than they talk, think before they speak, and often feel as if they express themselves better in writing than in conversation. They tend to dislike conflict. Many have a horror of small talk, but enjoy deep discussions.”

I watched this video and truly ground breaking information!!!!
  • S2JS2J Posts: 22,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    I dont think people really understand the meaning of these words.

Shy-Having or showing nervousness or timidity in the company of other people:

Intreovert-To concentrate (one's interests) upon oneself.

Thats a huge difference. Shy has a connotation of FEAR of others. Shy is NOT a synonym for Introverted
    High Revolutionary
  • ill_lojikal_konill_lojikal_kon Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Not shy. Selective.
  • BookwormBookworm Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm introverted and shy.