Bullying, discussing the crackdown, and what this means for Donkey

LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and LogicianAlcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Inspired by the rising in suicides of young kids due to cyber bullying. Most particularly is the case of Amanda Todd, a young Canadian girl who committed suicide after years of cyber attacks, defamation of her character, slander, and even physical attacks. Link below.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Teen+posted+antibullying+YouTube+video+kills+herself/7378046/story.html

What I want to discuss is the crackdown though. What can really be done in such instances where children are being so overwhelmed by negativity in their life that they see suicide as a means?

Some people seem to think that making the internet off limits to youths, or certain sites having age limits is a solution. What I see in this rising problem is an inability to cope and consistent poor judgment however. This is particularly evident in the case of Amanda Todd. I understand that a lot of you are parents, so as parents what would you suggest? How do you deal with these problems in a permanent fashion? These are important questions to answer, as right now your child could be a victim and you may not even be aware. Arm yourselves with knowledge now because when the threat is on your doorstep it is too late.

As a relative newcomer to the forum I have never gotten to experience the Donkey in its full swing. The posters I have seen run off the forum, most recently Covet, were done so in a manner that I would chalk up being due to their own foolishnes, stupid mistakes, and the malicious characters that lurk the internet. While blame can not be placed on someone who has done nothing wrong, they hold all the responsibility for making themselves vulnerable to threats and putting themselves out there. From what I understand though, this incident was mild.

In Donkey's Heyday IC posters would do far more ruthless things and it was considered normal. Now it has slowed down as many of the instigators have long gone, and those who remain have grown older and have kids. But what does this mean for the future of Donkey? Can you support and entertain behavior that has historically been shown to lead to suicide and torment? I don't think I can, and personally I see a correlation between donkey becoming more mild and settling down, and the increase in anti-bullying campaigns. The death of donkey is seemingly eminent and I for one will not mourn.
ChicityMs.Scorp
«134

Replies

  • SOWETOSOWETO Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭
    *insert troll comment here.*
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperKing wrote: »
    oh lawd these people are pushing me to suicide...let me continue to log back in every day

    Cyber bullying extends beyond this you know. To procure and send nudes of people is also bullying. Having those nudes sent around as in the Amanda Todd case is very common and very detrimental to one's life.

    And is your solution really "well just stay off the internet" ? Wtf is this. Would one just stop driving if there are shitty drivers out there? How can you blame the victim for doing nothing wrong to others?
    almighty breeze
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    logging on to the same website ur getting bullied on is a bit ridiculous ...u dont have to stay off the net...just off the particular website...and if u dont want nudes of urs to be seen dont take'em and send...and why would ur nudes be cause to kill'urself ??

    bottom line these mofos are fragile and soft and coddling niggas like u are the reason they continue to grow ofter than a wet sponge
    ChicityLurker6CashmoneyDux
  • CottonCitySlimCottonCitySlim Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    new york will join in first, they already made it agaisnt the law to be trolling from your computer there
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if that bus driver in jamels sig yelled "haduoken"
  • VIBEVIBE Awww Yeeaah! Posts: 40,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would end up being a mess, there's no point in policing bullying, it's a waste of time. Some people are extremely sensitive and you can call it being a "bitch", but it is what it is and sometimes fucking around with someone needs its limits, I get that, but not to the point where you can legally be in trouble.

    There's going to be two sides to the argument and you can't save everyone's emotions all the time. It definitely is a trend though, the trolling and bullying has been around forever but with shows like Tosh, South Park, Ridiclousness etc.. It's really praised to clown on certain people in situations, what can you say/do?
  • AmotekunAmotekun Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL....log off.

    Niggas are soft these days. Just So-fffffffff-t. Sawft. Sauft. Cottonelle Generation in this bitch.
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MobTown wrote: »
    new york will join in first, they already made it agaisnt the law to be trolling from your computer there

    Did not know this... I am curious as fuck to know what constitutes trolling

    CopperKing wrote: »
    logging on to the same website ur getting bullied on is a bit ridiculous ...u dont have to stay off the net...just off the particular website...and if u dont want nudes of urs to be seen dont take'em and send...and why would ur nudes be cause to kill'urself ??

    bottom line these mofos are fragile and soft and coddling niggas like u are the reason they continue to grow ofter than a wet sponge

    Some sites are staples of everyday life and linked to everything though (like facebook manifesting itself in everything from twitter, news websites, forums, online gaming and more). The person doing nothing wrong should not be punished for doing nothing wrong.

    The nudes i will give you - that is asking for trouble. As parents how do you regulate that shit and prevent it though? Seems overboard to ban the internet or certain websites.
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VIBE wrote: »
    This would end up being a mess, there's no point in policing bullying, it's a waste of time. Some people are extremely sensitive and you can call it being a "bitch", but it is what it is and sometimes fucking around with someone needs its limits, I get that, but not to the point where you can legally be in trouble.

    There's going to be two sides to the argument and you can't save everyone's emotions all the time. It definitely is a trend though, the trolling and bullying has been around forever but with shows like Tosh, South Park, Ridiclousness etc.. It's really praised to clown on certain people in situations, what can you say/do?

    This is the same logic they use with rape.
    ceothachosen1
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why rules get imposed, restrictions get enacted, and freedoms get taken. Cause idiots cant act like they got sense. Yeah, its the internet. So that means countless idiots gotta act like fools? I never got the internet idiot mentality. It transfers to all areas of life. Somebody not fit for society ruins something for the smart people.
  • nex ginnex gin Keep It Simple Stupid Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lmao @ the irony of getting bullied through a monitor. Nigguhs is mash potoato soft out here.
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    . As parents how do you regulate that shit and prevent it though? Seems overboard to ban the internet or certain websites.

    u dont ban the internet..u monitor ur child, teach them wrong from right and tell them there are consequences when choosing wrong...u educate...these lil soft fuckers
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why rules get imposed, restrictions get enacted, and freedoms get taken. Cause idiots cant act like they got sense. Yeah, its the internet. So that means countless idiots gotta act like fools? I never got the internet idiot mentality. It transfers to all areas of life. Somebody not fit for society ruins something for the smart people.

    Without a doubt. And people wanna justify it with "toughen up". Why didnt rodney king toughen up? Why black ppl cry when they get called a nigger? How can you preach toughen up when you cant even handle one word yet in the same breathe condemn young girls for being victims of countless epithets, threats and other forms of bullying? Why the fuck would civility instantly vanish just because its on the internet?

    Justifying harassment with toughen up sounds dumb as fuck comong out the mouth of a black person fyi.
    almighty breeze
  • Ms.ScorpMs.Scorp Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This can be applied to kids but I think most who post in Donkey are adults.

    If you're being bullied so bad that you can't take it hit the red x and log the fuck off.....it's to easy
    :-??
    CopperChase N BundlezCashmoneyDux
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this nigga is not comparing police brutality and racism to internet bullying....I know hes not

    tumblr_lx9ftuFMeB1r3k201o1_250.gif
    Ms.ScorpBender Rodriguez
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Your response reminds me of an argument I made to someone crying about black people being harassed in America. I said "If they don't like it why don't they just move?"

    As if that was justified and did anything to stop the problem, curb the negative behavior and provide a lasting solution.

    Lurker6theBlackbeard
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperKing wrote: »
    this nigga is not comparing police brutality and racism to internet bullying....I know hes not

    tumblr_lx9ftuFMeB1r3k201o1_250.gif

    Harassment being compared to harassment, how fucking crazy right?

    Just because it is racially motivated and you want to feel like you're a special case, the analogy applies.
    ceothachosen1
  • SleepwalkingInJapanSleepwalkingInJapan Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    inb4 emotional titangraph from @covet alias
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 38,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The analogy is bullshit
    U gonna have some soft ass kids
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Alcoholic's Anonymous MeetingPosts: 17,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My kids will be rugged and hard as fuck. My kids will be so damn rugged they wont be drawn in to bully those smaller like a coward. They will also be intelligent and civilized enough to know better.

    Basically my kids wont be weak morons or insecure losers seeking validation and sanctum via bullying.
    ceothachosen1
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 46,686 Regulator
    orrrr we could name it the thunderdome....
    VIBE
  • VulcanRavenVulcanRaven Rise from the ashes MarylandPosts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are weak enough ro committ suicide then so be it.This world is survival of the fittest and if a person is suicidal they would do it eventually.Bullying is not the cause of suicide but the trigger.What happens when they become adults and can not cope with relationship or job problems? The world is not a nicr place and it is dog eat dog.
    King Erauno
  • KatKat Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    If they are weak enough ro committ suicide then so be it.This world is survival of the fittest and if a person is suicidal they would do it eventually.Bullying is not the cause of suicide but the trigger.What happens when they become adults and can not cope with relationship or job problems? The world is not a nicr place and it is dog eat dog.

    smh..you sound moronic and really callous.

    The world is not a nice place because it's occupants CHOOSE not to make it a nice place.

    Shit isn't set in stone and it's never too late to modify our behavior.

    Chase N BundlezAmotekunceothachosen1LUClEN
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.