Matriarchal Societies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Patriarchal societies

Ajackson17Ajackson17 God KingPosts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
The globe may well be in the grip of what philosopher and economist Genevieve Vaughan denounces as “unworkable, uncompassionate hypermasculine values gone mad” (Vaughan 2005). To anyone who has not been completely programmed, numbed, or lulled to sleep by the self-preserving machinations of patriarchy, it should be clear that “rule by the fathers” is not working. The values and behaviors that have been intrinsic to what Riane Eisler (1987, xvii) calls the “dominator” model of society have gotten the entire planet into hot water, quite literally: The rising of global temperatures, the melting of the ice caps, the gradual creeping up of sea levels, and fiercer-than-ever tropical storms are just a few of the dire consequences of political, economic, and religious decisions made by men who have become detached from Mother, be she human, planetary, or divine.

Indeed, dominator governing systems, which inherently and sometimes violently exclude the participation of women and eschew a female-oriented “ethics of care” (Gilligan 1982), have created a world in which unbridled capitalism, terrorism, warfare, environmental destruction, the decimation of indigenous cultures, threats to creaturehood (including human) posed by genetic engineering, and the specter of an all-out nuclear armageddon have already caused massive suffering and are now bringing humanity to the brink of catastrophe.

In the midst of these severe challenges, a vision of an alternative social form is emerging on the part of a growing group of scholars, artists, activists, and indigenous peoples who have persisted in living their own way of life despite the pressures of colonization, missionization, and globalization. These individuals are bringing forth the idea that matriarchy –- an age-old structure for organizing human society based on non-violence, consensus-based decision making, gender balance, and respect for nature -- may be much better for the human organism than “father rule.” As sources of wisdom and models for human communities, matriarchal societies may provide new pathways and solutions to the current world crisis.

The theoretical and action-oriented movement propelling these ideas is emerging as a new social science called Matriarchal Studies. For the past 30 years, German philosopher and social scientist Heide Göettner-Abendroth has been developing this field, naming it, formulating the theory behind it, and gathering together the thinkers and activists who have been working on it in isolated pockets around the world. Her organizing of two international conferences in this area in recent years has now given the field a sense of identity, coherence, and momentum.

The latest of these conferences took place in San Marcos, Texas, in September 2005, and marked a deepening and expansion of the dialogue begun at the first World Congress on Matriarchal Studies in Luxembourg in September 2003. The recent conference, subtitled “Societies of Peace,” was a meeting of indigenous people (mostly women) from many of the world’s still existing matriarchal societies, and researchers from dominant societies of the West, making it a truly impressive international, intercultural event. The audience was similarly diverse; some 350 people attended from the United States, Canada, Mexico, Haiti, Costa Rica, Brazil, Bolivia, Nepal, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Israel, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and other countries.

The Second World Congress on Matriarchal Studies, held at Texas State University’s performing Arts Center September 29-October 2, was itself an example of one of the principles of matriarchy – the belief in the importance of spreading social wealth through large-scale gift giving. Co-organizer Genevieve Vaughan, director of the Center for the Study of the Gift Economy and a long-time philanthropist, financially sponsored the bulk of the conference, making it possible for participants to attend gratis and for presenters to have their transportation and lodging paid for. This allowed women from all over the world to share their wisdom, regardless of their economic status. Co-sponsors included Dr. Sandra Mayo of the Center for Multicultural and Gender Studies at Texas State, the Indigenous Women’s Network, the Institute of Archaeomythology, the Reformed Congregation of the Goddess International, the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, and the Women’s Spirituality Program of the California Institute of Integral Studies, all centered in the United States.

This article is based on my notes from a select group of presentations, namely, those made by two of the native elders in attendance from North and South America, as well as those made by several of the women and men from various regions of Africa. Due to space considerations, I have regrettably had to leave out coverage of many of the 36 presentations delivered at the conference,[1] all of them excellent, including those from Asia, Europe, and the United States.[2] Among the matriarchies represented that I will not cover here were the Juchitán of Mexico, the Kuna of Panama, the Shipibo of Peru, the Samoans of New Zealand, the Koisan of South Africa, the Kabyles of Algeria, the Mosuo of China, the Khasi of Northeast India, the Nayars of Kerala/Southwest India, and the Minangkabou of West Sumatra. I will conclude this article with a brief discussion of the political declaration that speakers and participants created at the end of the congress to generate concrete alternatives and practical solutions to the exploitative system of patriarchy.

Matriarchy -- A Definition Revisited
It will first be helpful to review the definition of matriarchy that Göettner-Abendroth presented at the First World Congress on Matriarchal Studies, which she has developed based on her thirty years of historical and ethnographic analyses of matriarchal cultures. Göettner-Abendroth, the founder of HAGIA International Academy for Modern Matriarchal Studies in Germany, stresses that matriarchies are not “a mere reversal of patriarchy, where women somehow rule over men -- as it is commonly misinterpreted.” Rather, she says, they are

without exception. . . egalitarian societies. . . . societies that are free of domination, but they still have their guidelines and codes. And this is what makes them so attractive to those looking for a new philosophy to support the creation of a just society. (Göettner-Abendroth, para. 2)

konceptjones[Deleted User]niggasthesedaysLUClENMuhannadKing_sorrowItzGravitationpurpngold

Replies

• Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    edited October 2012
    edited October 2012
    edited October 2012
    I'll post more, but from what I have read that society would be much better off and that women are better at balancing and equalizing resources, governing over civil rights and social justices. Also, men are especially given respect and reassurance of their roles and they do the same for women. When you respect women and have love for women and the women know their self worth and have a strong role in society, the society flourish.

Here is more

http://www.universitadelledonne.it/english/matriarchy1.htm
    konceptjonesLUClENmanofmorehouseMiltown Marauderpurpngold
  • konceptjoneskonceptjones Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fjke37.jpg

7797c0ab_unable-to-process-wall-of-text.jpeg

Holy%20Wall%20of%20Text.jpg

My+Eyes,+They+Burn.jpg

Ajackson17 is from this point forward to be known as a man with "mommy issues".
    coop9889
  • bull6599bull6599 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U coulda posted the link in the OP & saved all that gotdamn scrolling. Then again I lost for even going past the 1st post.
    Next time I'll shorten it and you guys can go on your spare time and read lol, but I have great love for my mother who is a sweet and kind woman. Hell, I never received like maybe 2 whippings in my life LOL
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Women saying the world would be better if women were in charge. This is amazing, and by this I mean the fact that you would waste KB of data creating this topic.
    LUClENSixSickSinsHyenaKillaeastbay510manofmorehouse
    Hmm, proving my point I see. Continue and if anyone wants a real discussion than we can have one.
  • BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consensus decision making came from women not men. Men usually like to bully and dominate but we see that as the way should work, but in reality is primal and barbaric. There are plenty of reasons why Matriarchal societies work. Just read and come back with a real response and majority of men aren't logical at all. Gangs = Logic? Wars = Logic? Destroying the enviroment and not replacing =Logic? Think about that.
    konceptjonesKamPushMeCoppermanofmorehouse
  • konceptjoneskonceptjones Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Consensus decision making came from women not men. Men usually like to bully and dominate but we see that as the way should work, but in reality is primal and barbaric. There are plenty of reasons why Matriarchal societies work. Just read and come back with a real response and majority of men aren't logical at all. Gangs = Logic? Wars = Logic? Destroying the enviroment and not replacing =Logic? Think about that.

You act as if none of these things haven't been done by women.
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Hitler's VaginaPosts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    I was hoping this would be a concise article. Making note that I have not read it yet - Many queens were ruthless, just as much as their male counterparts - so let's make not it seem like women are the end all be all of global salvation and saints on earth.

Fact of the matter is: power corrupts. Everyone knows this. To borrow from cracked.com, it is such an obvious statement that saying that is like saying elevators elevate.

Just because you have a vagina does not mean you are necessarily going to be kind when you have undisputed power or use your clout to do good.
  • theBlackbeardtheBlackbeard Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You so could have just summarized this into a topic. Most niggas not about to read a lot much less about something they find no interest.

You act as if none of these things haven't been done by women.

But the key thing is that women were living in a patriarchal society while doing it and the idealogy of the brutal mindset that plagued these women minds were the source of it. If they were in a society of a fair and just society they wouldn't have to resort to that to protect themselves from hyper mascualinity.
    KamPushMeCopper
    Most of these soft ass dude are raised in matriarchal house holds. Is that really what society needs? A ton of over bearing ball busters, and mommas boys? Not going to happen.
    Meta_Consciousmanofmorehouse
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    I was hoping this would be a concise article. Making note that I have not read it yet - Many queens were ruthless, just as much as their male counterparts - so let's make not it seem like women are the end all be all of global salvation and saints on earth.

Fact of the matter is: power corrupts. Everyone knows this. To borrow from cracked.com, it is such an obvious statement that saying that is like saying elevators elevate.

Just because you have a vagina does not mean you are necessarily going to be kind when you have undisputed power or use your clout to do good.

Need to read, Matriarchal societies are not like patriarchal societies where only one gender has all the power, but it is an egalitarian society. It's a cohibitation society not a dominating society. The queens still reside and rule a patriarchal society through and through. Please read and understand. The first post should give you all you need to make a decent argument. The examples are there to help you have a better grasp of the idea.

And I shorten it. Now go and try to read the premise before discussing.
    KamPushMeCopper
    Most of these soft ass dude are raised in matriarchal house holds. Is that really what society needs? A ton of over bearing ball busters, and mommas boys? Not going to happen.

They still live in a patriarchal societies and men were respected as men. Women just control distribution and domestic affairs and still the society was more collaboration than any domination and still the would use the wisdom of men. It was team effort.

KamPushMeCopper
    The idea that women would create some kind of peaceful Utopian society if they were in charge is hilarious considering most of them can't even have friendships with other women without regular crises and conflicts.

Yet history proves you so wrong. Let me post some more links so you can gain knowledge and understanding. Men and women are suppose to rule right beside each other. When men empower women and women empower men you have a more powerful force. You guys bitch about how slavery messed up blacks but what about the brutal system of patriarchal society where it deems women 2nd class? We see severe disorders in social economics creates negative competition, but where we only deem women are only worth their beauty and nothing else, that would create a negative competition. When you see little girls friends at a young age and than images and words of their worth is in their beauty not their intelligence, skills, morals, ethics, love, etc but their beauty it creates a competition for them to prove that they are worthy.

Knives Amilliblacktux
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician Hitler's VaginaPosts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    without exception. . . egalitarian societies. . . . societies that are free of domination, but they still have their guidelines and codes. And this is what makes them so attractive to those looking for a new philosophy to support the creation of a just society. (Göettner-Abendroth, para. 2)

Nice work on the recent edit. It flows well and I still get the gist of it.

The above quote doesn't sit well though. If in matriarchy equality is key then why is womanhood being praised in the title of the societal structure? Why not just call it egalitarian if equality was key - considering that putting women on a pedestal in this fashion is counterproductive to equality? If the focus is on equality of humans then humanarchy* seems like a better name.

Just look at this exert from the link you posted
    Wilhelmina J. Donkoh, a faculty member in history at the University of Ghana, talked about the Asante, one of the matrilineal Akan-speaking peoples of Ghana as a culture of cooperation, as well. Female leaders, she said, play a central role in the sociopolitical system of the Asante, but, she stressed, they do so in collaboration with men.

I mean, if it is a collaborative effort from both sexes then both should be incorporated into the title of the societal structure.

To address the opening paragraph, It's fairly obvious to most that things need reform badly. We are still running on a lot of the same principles that we were hundreds and even thousands of years ago in long-dead and outdated societies.

*Patent Pending

They still live in a patriarchal societies and men were respected as men. Women just control distribution and domestic affairs and still the society was more collaboration than any domination and still the would use the wisdom of men. It was team effort.

A team effort? You mean the man serving the woman, while the woman runs shit? Sound like a man servant to me.