The dumb NFL team vs college team conversation.

unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I will go where there's no path and leave behind a trail. Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Steve Spurrier said "Alabama, gosh, they look like they could beat a couple of those NFL teams that I've watched on Sundays."

"I'd guess Alabama would be favored by a little bit."

Spurrier making us look bad outchea.

Anyway, do you think the best college team could even get 100 totals yards on the worst NFL team?

The worst NFL would crush Oregon, Alabama, whoever...this question is just basically about the college offense gaining yards cause they won't score.

Update: Apparently Vegas thinks Alabama is good enough to be 24 point underdogs to the worst NFL team.

That's the dumbest shit I've heard in a while from Vegas. 40 points would be more accurate.

Replies

• infamous114infamous114 Down in Miami where it's warm in the winter. Posts: 30,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was was like 12, I used to think my '01 Canes would have beat those WOAT Bengals teams lol
    unspoken_respectA$AP_A$TONpurpngold
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I will go where there's no path and leave behind a trail. Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was was like 12, I used to think my '01 Canes would have beat those WOAT Bengals teams lol

You wasn't the only one.
  • KushingtonKushington Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a couple top college teams could possibly beat some of the very worst nfl teams..

Reggie80coop9889CoolJoerageblakfyahkingSleepwalkingInJapancaddo manA$AP_A$TONdallas' 4 evaWill MunnypurpngoldPimpMVPtexasdaking88
  • lamontbdclamontbdc 16th & UPosts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not happening wouldn't be a contest
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I will go where there's no path and leave behind a trail. Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kushington wrote: »
    I think a couple top college teams could possibly beat some of the very worst nfl teams..

Take the Panthers for example. They have 1 win but had the Bears and Falcons on the ropes and lost. I just don't see it.

• ShizlanskyShizlansky Nothing better then being a father. Posts: 22,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only bout 5 of them niggas from Bama gon be on a roster in 5 years.
    Inglewood_Bpurpngold
  • ElguaposauceElguaposauce The Danish OG Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about KC? They are absolute pants out there
    ptnutz
  • Crude_Crude_ Legend Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be no contest we comparing a a team full of pro athletes against a team with maybe 5-6 future pro caliber athletes.

People tend to forget a player like Matt Leinart was an All American and Heisman winner in college and went to the league and was ass cheeks.

Like @Shizlansky said the pro team wouldn't even have to pass the ball.
    unspoken_respectblakfyahkingAlready Home_17
  • Reggie80Reggie80 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No this is so funny I think midway through the fourth the game would be called due to the physical beating the college kids would take.Especially if the pro team didn't pass the ball.A bunch of three and outs and smash mouth football.Niggas would quit!
    This would be like Alabama playing Coastal Carolina.

These men get paid to play a professional sport. The biggest, fastest, strongest, and smartest (football wise) players out of college. On top of that the majority of them are seasoned to play on that next level. It would sad.
    KeepOnPushingmiamivice305
  • bow to royaltybow to royalty Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    It would be no contest we comparing a a team full of pro athletes against a team with maybe 5-6 future pro caliber athletes.

People tend to forget a player like Matt Leinart was an All American and Heisman winner in college and went to the league and was ass cheeks.

Like @Shizlansky said the pro team wouldn't even have to pass the ball.

Exactly. People forget how good the guys we laugh at or see as average now, were in college. Cam Newton, Leinart, Reggie Bush, Nick Fairley, Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Mark Ingram. Put them all on the same college team and you're talkin about a beast. Put em all on the same NFL team and people aren't too worried. That should tell you enough.
  • nujerz84nujerz84 NJPosts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a joke right??
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    this is a joke right??

I don't think Spurrier was joking.
  • CoolJoeCoolJoe Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kushington wrote: »

A couple? The hell haha.
    No college squad could come within 30 points of beating any NFL team.
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    You know a couple of old heads took a trip down memory lane and put me up on game. They told me that between the 30's and 70's the NCAA would assemble an All-Star team and they would compete, in Chicago, against the current NFL champions.

They told me that they specifically remember that the NFL Champions didn't win every game and a lot of the games they won were not blowouts.

So me being that type of nigga I am, I went and found out for myself if it was true. Fact is, the college players won 9 of those games and 2 of them were tied. So I wouldn't put it pass the college players to compete against the pros because it's happen before.

They have been talking about this shit on ESPN all dam day. I'm very surprised that nobody has brought this up.

Scroll down to #5
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/remember-when/football/25things.html

The final record was 31-9-2, they stopped playing those stupid things because the pros were pounding on the college teams. I can almost guarantee that those 9 wins came during the leather helmet era or the Pros approached it with the same intensity they approach the pro-bowl. Fact is Bama would get MOLLYWOPPED by Cleveland, Kansas, Carolina, Buffalo...whoever. We are talking a 30 point spread EASY.
  • SocialAssassinRatiSocialAssassinRati Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niggaz seem to forget that on the professional level that everybody on that official roster from the starting QB to the Special Teams gunner all the way down to the 3rd string Nose Tackle were all the best players on their college teams at one point and time...

so making the argument that even the best college teams where maybe 3 or 4 players might make the league and after a yr or two will be out of the league could compete with a professional team that is comprised of the best of the best former college players with years of NFL exp. and training plus elite speed,power,strength,knowledge, ect is completely fucking asinine
    unspoken_respectBoldChild
  • greenwood1921greenwood1921 Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thread title pretty much settles the "argument" --- "Dumb".

An "elite" College team is one that has about 5-6 starters on both sides of the ball that will play on sundays.

The worst NFL team has 11 starters on both sides of the ball that DO play on sundays.

Case closed.
    moedaysxtraill
  • blakfyahkingblakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iono looking at the SEC now haha

Alabama vs. Buffalo Bills

hmmm.........might be a game
  • KeepOnPushingKeepOnPushing Posts: 17,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iono looking at the SEC now haha

Alabama vs. Buffalo Bills

hmmm.........might be a game

it would be a fuckin' Blowout bruh ........ Bills would shit all over them ,would beat them niggas by 65
    unspoken_respect
    I think it would be dope if the winner of this years BCS championship game could play a team like the Jaguars. With that said, I think the Jaguars would beat that team by at least 60. The college team wouldn't score.
  • fortyacres&amulefortyacres&amule wubalubadubdub Posts: 15,312 Regulator
    cam newton and the panthers would find a way to lose
    unspoken_respectAlready Home_17purpngold
  • SocialAssassinRatiSocialAssassinRati Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cam newton and the panthers would find a way to lose

Not if Tony Romo and Dallas beat em to it
    caddo manAlready Home_17purpngold
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »
    You know a couple of old heads took a trip down memory lane and put me up on game. They told me that between the 30's and 70's the NCAA would assemble an All-Star team and they would compete, in Chicago, against the current NFL champions.

They told me that they specifically remember that the NFL Champions didn't win every game and a lot of the games they won were not blowouts.

So me being that type of nigga I am, I went and found out for myself if it was true. Fact is, the college players won 9 of those games and 2 of them were tied. So I wouldn't put it pass the college players to compete against the pros because it's happen before.

They have been talking about this shit on ESPN all dam day. I'm very surprised that nobody has brought this up.

Scroll down to #5
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/remember-when/football/25things.html

The final record was 31-9-2, they stopped playing those stupid things because the pros were pounding on the college teams. I can almost guarantee that those 9 wins came during the leather helmet era or the Pros approached it with the same intensity they approach the pro-bowl. Fact is Bama would get MOLLYWOPPED by Cleveland, Kansas, Carolina, Buffalo...whoever. We are talking a 30 point spread EASY.

Naw, they didn't stop playing those games because of college players getting "pounded". They stop playing because the pros had salary issues with playing that game. The old head that told me about these games said one of those games that the pros lost happen when he was about to graduate highschool. He aint but about 50 something. That was after the leather helmets there guy. I'm not saying the pros wouldn't blowout some of these college teams or even barely win. I'm saying you don't know for fact that they would blow out those kids every time. I know for fact that they were not blown out every game win they did play though.

The last time the All-Stars won was in 1963...damn near 50 years ago. They won 20-17....and this was an ALL STAR TEAM.

I am telling you FOR A FACT....in 2012...the WORST NFL team will destroy Bama. Bills/Browns/Panthers will absolutely destroy Bama.
    unspoken_respect