THE GREATEST TECHNICAL/SCIENTIFIC WRESTLER OF ALL TIMES (THE GREATEST OF THE GREATS)

waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of SelfOn The Road to ZionPosts: 8,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Off The Turn Buckle

This was a hard list for me because there are a lot of of Scientific/Technical Wrestlers and some wrestlers you never seen but again this is my GREATEST OF THE GREATS if there is a wrestler who you think is the greatest and not on the list, click other and drop the wrestler name and why you pick him

WHAT MAKES A GREAT SCIENTIFIC WRESTLER to me is 1) GREAT MAT SKILLS 2) GREAT SUBMISSIONS 3) GREAT GRAPPLING SKILLS 4) GREAT REVERSALS 5) INNOVATING NEW TECHNICAL MOVES

THE GREATEST TECHNICAL/SCIENTIFIC WRESTLER OF ALL TIMES (THE GREATEST OF THE GREATS)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
RawAceThePayPalPimp.

Replies

• waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionPosts: 8,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    HONORABLE MENTION (i was going to include them on my list but that will fuck some of yall heads up, dont want to be seen as to snobbish even though i guess i am an wrestling elitist)

A GREAT SCIENTIFIC WRESTLING MATCH BETWEEN JACK BRISCO vs DORY FUNK JR

RawAce
  • OTHER
    Barry Windham. BW was just a natural,giftedwrestler. His matches against Ric Flair in the NWA were classic,slow methodical,intense. He was strong,athletic,and could put you away with various moves...the claw,lariat,superplex never waisted time or did stupid shit like play to the audience. US Champ,Tag Team Champion,World Champion. Barry Windham could even stand and bang with the big men/brawlers. He had high level skills.
    waterproofRawAcejono
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    CLASSIC SCIENTIFIC MATCH

BRET HART VS CURT HENNING

will grimeydalyricalbanditBlack_Samson
  • OTHER
    Bruh you killing me! Bret vs Curt...Angle vs Benoit...Regal vs Benoit....Misawa vs Kawada....Kobashi vs Misawa or Kawada....Bret vs Benoit...Eddie Guerrero vs Benoit...Dean Malinko vs Guerrero...Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat...Dynamite Kid vs Sasake we can go on and on.
    waterproof
  • iKingGodGivBiziKingGodGivBiz Batman With Prep Time Posts: 15,741 Regulator
  • OTHER
    Next thread......10 DREAM MATCHES with special stipulations i.e (cage,I quit,chain,6-8 man tag,I quit,Wargames) from any era mix match promotions. Set it off homie!
    waterproof
    BOB BLACKLUND
    HONORABLE MENTION

STEVE AUSTIN as "STUNNING" STEVE AUSTIN" & THE RINGMASTER

ssanv4.jpg
    The_Ring_Master_-_Steve_Williams_02.jpg

it's a DAMN SHAME that STEVE AUSTIN a GREAT technical wrestler stopped using his skills when he came STONE COLD, I WAS A BIG RINGMASTER FAN, he could of been one of the greatest of the greats in pure scientific skills

The Ringmaster (Steve Austin) Vs Scott Taylor. WWF 1996

Brian Pillman vs. Steve Austin
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    LARRY ZBYSKO HONORABLE MENTION
    Larry_Zbyszko_-_Larry_Whistler_02.jpg

Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zbyszko

Clash of the Champions XXVII- Larry Zbyszko vs Steven Regal

Larry Zbyszko vs Bruno Sammartino
    iKingGodGivBizwill grimey
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    dubya03 wrote: »
    Bruh you killing me! Bret vs Curt...Angle vs Benoit...Regal vs Benoit....Misawa vs Kawada....Kobashi vs Misawa or Kawada....Bret vs Benoit...Eddie Guerrero vs Benoit...Dean Malinko vs Guerrero...Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat...Dynamite Kid vs Sasake we can go on and on.

@dubya03 or the Eddie Gurerrero as Black Tiger

Black Tiger II (Eddie Guerrero) vs Wild Pegasus (Chris Benoit) 1996 part 1

• dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 48,128 Regulator
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    Im confused because when I think if a technical wrestler I think of a guy that can "Actually" wrestle so I would think that Kurt Angle wins by default being an Olympic gold medalist....not saying that th other guys cant wrestle for real but when I hear technical wrestling I think Greco and Freestyle wrestlers and since Kurt has a Gold Medal and no one else on the list does I'm going with him

@Socialassassinrati yes the majority on that list are from that background From THE GREAT LOU THEZ who is the idol of Kurt Angle was a greco-roman and freestly wrestler, Bob Backlund, Bret Hart was an amateur wrestler in high school and college plus learn Submission wrestling better known as CATCH WRESTLING in the MMA world by his father Stu Hart, RIC FLAIR was a private school wrestling champion and a POWER LIFTER.

you be shocked how many came from a professional background, because back in the days you aint respected unless you came from professional or amateur background of freestyle, catch, greco-roman thats why i said some of these wrestlers in the goat thread will not able to hang with GOATS who wrestle stiff, they would really break a body part on you to prove that you aint worthy to be in the ring with them.
    SocialAssassinRati
  • P swayze166P swayze166 Posts: 1,978
    BRET HART
    Bret hart in a landslide....dude could make any match great while still incorporating the fundamentals, in his book he shits all over flair as being a great wrestler...Ethered flair saying he can only wrestle his way do his spots that's it, he can only do 1 thing Rick flair lol....Bret the GOAT and by far the realest of all time too....hope you enjoyed him while he lasted you won't ever see something like that again. Read his book, straight BRUTAL honesty
    dalyricalbandit
  • Sour-CreamSour-Cream Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRET HART
    When I think of technical wrestling, I think of Bret Hart.
    dalyricalbanditwill grimey
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    Bret hart in a landslide....dude could make any match great while still incorporating the fundamentals, in his book he shits all over flair as being a great wrestler...Ethered flair saying he can only wrestle his way do his spots that's it, he can only do 1 thing Rick flair lol....Bret the GOAT and by far the realest of all time too....hope you enjoyed him while he lasted you won't ever see something like that again. Read his book, straight BRUTAL honesty

@Pswayze166 that's Bret Hart being Bret Hart and a hater of Flair, let's be real Hart is a hater and he hate's on everyone, i am a fan of Bret Hart but i know Hart is a hater, Ric Flair is a amateur champion just like HART but Hart aint never face a career ending type of injury like RIC FLAIR when RIC FLAIR was in a plane crashed that broke his back in 1975, Flair was not only supposed to never wrestled again but he was never supposed to walk with out a cane, flair came back in 6 months.

So Flair had to change his wrestling style due to that back injury, he was still a scientific wrestler but it wasnt like how he was before his back injury.

Hart just mad because FLAIR dropped that burn slow in Flair's book

Ric Flair Tells Bret Hart how it is
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND

A GREAT SCIENTIFIC TECHNICAL WRESTLING MATCH

Lou thez vs Antonio Inoki
    BOB BLACKLUND
    MY GREATEST TECHNICAL/SCIENTIFC WRESTLER TOP 10

1) BOB BLACKLUND[/b]
    Backlund.jpg

A great techincal wrestler who was a Division II NCAA champ in college

Bob Backlund vs Larry Zbyszko

Bob Backlund vs Antonio Inoki

edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND

2) LOU THEZ a six-time world champion, most notably holding the NWA World Heavyweight Championship three times. Combined, he held the NWA Championship for 10 years, three months and nine days (3,749 days total), longer than anyone else in history, his father personally gave him a tough and thorough education in Greco-Roman wrestling, which provided the fundamentals for his later success. While in high school he was a successful freestyle wrestling competitor on his school team. He soon met Ed "Strangler" Lewis, the biggest wrestling star of the 1920s, who taught a young Lou the art of "hooking" (the ability to stretch your opponent with painful holds).

15.jpg
    Lou Thesz vs Antonino Rocca (Steel Belt Wrestling Buffalo, NY 5-10-63 NWA World Championship)
    ThePayPalPimp.
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND

3) VERN GAGNE

20090219_090446_verneGagne_400.jpg

Gagne is a 16-time world heavyweight champion, having held the AWA World Heavyweight Championship 10-times, the World Heavyweight Championship (Omaha version) 5-times, and the IWA World Heavyweight Championship once.

Gagne chose to return to the University of Minnesota, where, as an amateur wrestler, he captured two NCAA titles. He was also an alternate for the U.S freestyle wrestling team at the 1948 Olympic Games; he later said that he might have wrestled in the Olympics, but his coaches had discovered that he had earned money winning a wrestling match at a carnival, thus putting his amateur standing in question

Verne Gagne vs Lou thez
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND
    jackbrisco_gateway.jpg
    4) JACK BRISCO

Jack Brisco a two-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, and multi-time NWA Tag Team Champion with his brother Gerald Brisco. Brisco is considered one of the top wrestlers of his era; in 2005, Don Leo Jonathan called him "probably the greatest champion of the 20th century In 1965, he became the first Native American to win an NCAA Wrestling National Championship. He won it during his junior year, and wasn't taken down once during the entire season.

Dory Funk Jr. vs Jack Brisco

BOB BLACKLUND

5) Antonio Inoki

Ali-v-Inoki-001.jpg

Inoki was amongst the group of professional wrestlers who were tutored in the art of hooking and shooting by the professional wrestler Karl Gotch. Inoki named his method of fighting "strong style". This method of wrestling (which was taught to Inoki by Gotch) borrowed heavily from professional wrestling's original catch wrestling roots. It is one of the most important influences of modern shoot wrestling. Inoki is also one of the founders of Kansuiryu Karate.

Inoki faced many opponents from all dominant disciplines of combat from various parts of the world, such as boxers, judoka, karateka, kung fu practitioners, sumo wrestlers and wrestlers.

NJPW: Antonio Inoki vs Great Muta [INOKI FINAL COUNTDOWN 1st]
    edited November 2012
    BOB BLACKLUND

6) BRET "Hitman" HEART
    Bret.jpg

BRET Hart became a standout student in the amateur wrestling division He would go on to win significant championships in tournaments throughout Alberta, including the 1974 city championships in Calgary. Hart was collegiate champion at Mount Royal College, and was trained in submisson wrestling from father Stu Hart

"The Excellence of Execution" is a seven-time world champion, having held the WWF Championship five times and the WCW World Heavyweight Championship twice, record-tying five-time WCW/WWE United States Champion, WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times), WWF Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Jim Neidhart, WCW World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Goldberg

Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit (Owen Hart Tribute Match)

ThePayPalPimp.
  • P swayze166P swayze166 Posts: 1,978
    BRET HART
    waterproof wrote: »
    waterproof wrote: »

@Pswayze166 that's Bret Hart being Bret Hart and a hater of Flair, let's be real Hart is a hater and he hate's on everyone, i am a fan of Bret Hart but i know Hart is a hater, Ric Flair is a amateur champion just like HART but Hart aint never face a career ending type of injury like RIC FLAIR when RIC FLAIR was in a plane crashed that broke his back in 1975, Flair was not only supposed to never wrestled again but he was never supposed to walk with out a cane, flair came back in 6 months.

So Flair had to change his wrestling style due to that back injury, he was still a scientific wrestler but it wasnt like how he was before his back injury.

Hart just mad because FLAIR dropped that burn slow in Flair's book

Ric Flair Tells Bret Hart how it is

disagree with hart being a hater.....he HATED shawn michaels and never once said he was a bad wrestler....he calls it 100% no faking, and being as great as he is in the art of wrestling his opinion means something. Ric is great, but he aint fucking with bret wrestling wise technically....not close......just check flair's matches against savage and watch bret's matches with macho. The answer is right there, nevermind bret's matches with henning etc
    Sour-Cream
    BOB BLACKLUND

7) DORY FUNK JR

09.jpg

Dory Funk Jr is credited with the invention of the Texas cloverleaf submission hold and runs the Funking Conservatory, a professional wrestling school. Dory is a former world heavyweight champion, having held the NWA World Heavyweight Championship once. To date, he was the fifth longest reigning NWA World Heavyweight Champion of all time, holding it for over four years. In addition, he also held the major heavyweight titles (but not officially recognized as World Titles): WWC Universal Heavyweight Championship once, the CWA World Heavyweight Championship once.

Terry Funk vs Dory Funk part 1 & 2