The..."Why It Ain't Work Out For Ol Boy?"...Thread...

A1000MILESA1000MILES Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
Inspired by the Obie Trice video I just saw...You know how a rapper might have a spark in the beginning, but then it just falls apart, and they disappear?...What happened to those niggas?...What should they have done differently?...Lol...

Replies

• jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 18,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fucks with Obie. Dude got a platinum album (like that means anything) but most importantly cuz is NICE. Seems like if you can actually rap Interscope can only rock with you for so long. His new album aint all that though, its merely ight.
    Lou_CypherIceBergTaylor
  • The RecipeThe Recipe Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    I fucks with Obie. Dude got a platinum album (like that means anything) but most importantly cuz is NICE. Seems like if you can actually rap Interscope can only rock with you for so long. His new album aint all that though, its merely ight.

You need a Gimmick to go with your skills these days.
  • Trollio Trollio Trollololololololololol Posts: 21,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rich boy
    juelz
    the lost boys
    etc etc
    The Recipeblackgod813
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta have southern respect!
    PK_TK_187loch121
  • fortyacres&amulefortyacres&amule wubalubadubdub Posts: 14,533 Regulator
    papoose
    big krit
    vado
    Lou_Cypher
  • Peezy_JenkinsPeezy_Jenkins Artist/Producer #Hustlin #VegasLights Posts: 17,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it didnt work out for krit?
    The RecipeTonyDubbzyeah i rap so don't
  • tharealest561tharealest561 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cass
    Flip
    Chingy
    list goes on...
  • blackgod813blackgod813 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most def rich boy I thought dead prez think dead prez should be huge ...that about it.o the nigga who sings bricks an marijuana on a trick daddy CD an chinks satana he signed to murder Inc at one point ...
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stat qou

nature

big norm

o aka lurk hinrich

smitty

fabo

jody breeze
  • Billy_PonchoBilly_Poncho 12 BRICKS Posts: 18,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always thought FIeld Mob was on the cusp of blowing up. Then they signed to DTP, and I was like "Yep, that's a wrap..."
    davidbrooksBodhi
  • lordhonka2lordhonka2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ray cash belong on this page i thought bumbpin my music was the shit then he disappeared
    The RecipeYapatnaJBtharealest561yeah i rap so don't
  • hueyhuey Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    ray cash belong on this page i thought bumbpin my music was the shit then he disappeared

had some legends wit cameos too
  • AggyAFAggyAF Queen fi England haffi love (half) yardie Zoo JerseyPosts: 26,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hacker wrote: »
    rich boy

polow da don and keri hilson have been quiet as well
    Ear2ThaSt
  • KINGECKINGEC Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Archie...

Did he even have a spark tho? lol?
  • TonyDubbzTonyDubbz Realest Nigga Livin' Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RawAce wrote: »
    stat qou

nature

big norm

o aka lurk hinrich

smitty

fabo

jody breeze

Ray Cash is cool too. I like dude, his problem is he from Ohio. Midwest rappers are in the position Southern rappers used to be in. A few artists slide through but for the most part niggas aint really listening for Midwest talent, damn shame because Cash is dope. Southern rappers used to have to fight hard to get heard but that struggle is almost solely a Midwest thing now. No major labels in Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit so we fucked lol
  • southsil4lilsouthsil4lil Short TexasPosts: 4,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray Cash is nice, his debut is slept on
  • AggyAFAggyAF Queen fi England haffi love (half) yardie Zoo JerseyPosts: 26,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ray Cash is cool too. I like dude, his problem is he from Ohio. Midwest rappers are in the position Southern rappers used to be in. A few artists slide through but for the most part niggas aint really listening for Midwest talent, damn shame because Cash is dope. Southern rappers used to have to fight hard to get heard but that struggle is almost solely a Midwest thing now. No major labels in Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit so we fucked lol

Whats the independent label scene looking like out there, cuz the South and West have plenty

Whats the independent label scene looking like out there, cuz the South and West have plenty

I can't speak for other places but here in Detroit there's a few, there was a couple like Rock Bottom Entertainment (battle rapper Calicoe used to be down with them) I think they tanked though. Dirty Glove Entertainment was popping here a few years ago but since their main artist (Blade Icewood) got smoked they been pretty much dead.

So there are some that come and go but none seem to stick around.

Dirty Glove was pretty big though, they had joints with Birdman, Freeway, and a few other major cats. Their producer K.I.D.D. produced most of B.G.'s album Livin' Legend (he was living here in Detroit at the time), Short Dawg (of YMCMB) was signed there for awhile too. They had a lot of the hoods jumping making some local hits and classics but their pretty much done today, this was 5-6 years ago. Rock Bottom created some local hits and classics too but they are completely off the map.
    AggyAF

I can't speak for other places but here in Detroit there's a few, there was a couple like Rock Bottom Entertainment (battle rapper Calicoe used to be down with them) I think they tanked though. Dirty Glove Entertainment was popping here a few years ago but since their main artist (Blade Icewood) got smoked they been pretty much dead.

So there are some that come and go but none seem to stick around.

Dirty Glove was pretty big though, they had joints with Birdman, Freeway, and a few other major cats. Their producer K.I.D.D. produced most of B.G.'s album Livin' Legend (he was living here in Detroit at the time), Short Dawg (of YMCMB) was signed there for awhile too. They had a lot of the hoods jumping making some local hits and classics but their pretty much done today, this was 5-6 years ago. Rock Bottom created some local hits and classics too but they are completely off the map.

thats good shit, me personally, i would have thought that with the musical heritage of Detroit plus the quality of Detroit artists that there would be some big independent labels. i think we are starting to see a trend toward an emphasis of independent labels in hip hop. Look at the success of TDE, Rostrum etc
    You'd think so. Problem is none of these cats diversify. Most of the labels have one signature artist, maybe two, and once that artist is done, their done.

Detroit is one of those places with more chiefs than indians and everybody wanna be a boss even with no business sense. A lot of these are street cats who had enough money to start a label and signed his homeboys that's pretty much it.

If we could get a solid independent scene we would be popping but we need a (few) transcendent artist(s) and a label with business sense. Everybody talks a lot about being the "new Motown" but there aint no new Barry Gordys.
    Sion
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Ray Cash is nice, his debut is slept on

man i used to bump the shit out that album. As far as some of the other people mentioned i'll just comment:

Vado- Always was trash to me, at best he was average and he doesn't stand out

Rich Boy- Hot for a minute but he's dependent on production. I can't see him carrying an album by himself.
    numbaz...80's baby
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlito
    what really stopped dude from reaching the top?
    thats some real shit

somewhat related question, does Detroit love Big Sean as much as he loves Detroit lol?