Social Lounge Debates - First Rounds: kingblaze84 vs. pralims *pralims wins*

SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH EditorPosts: 20,419 Regulator
edited January 2013 in The Social Lounge
Updated Thread

Social Lounge Debates - First Rounds: kingblaze84 vs. pralims

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Replies

  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,419 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    pralims
    Welcome to The Social Lounge Debates. In these debates you will judged based on 3 criteria - Content, Delivery and Fact. There is a word limit of 500 words per round, going over that will result in points being deducted. Additional rules are as follows: You have 3 rounds per debate and a time limit of 24 hours per round to respond. Each debate should take no longer than 3-5 days. If you are to vote please wait until the END of the debate to cast your vote. For spectators, please do not attempt to derail or throw the debaters off topic. Doing so will result in your vote not counting and you may be jailed/banned until the entire tournament is finished.


    Should marijuana be legalized nationwide ? kingblaze84 - YES, pralims - NO
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingblaze84
    Ah I've been waiting for this to be set up.....

    I'll make my first post simple on this, WHY NOT????

    Why not create a new legal industry in which hundreds of thousands of jobs can be created, an industry that is way safer than cigarettes and alcohol anyway??

    Washington and another state just last night legalized recreational marijuana because the American (really world) economy needs a new industry, there simply isn't enough jobs to keep up with population growth. Many people function quite well after smoking weed, I know because I do and many people from all kinds of industries do as well. It's time to create new freedom and stop locking up people for smoking an overall harmless plant that doesn't do anything except make people feel good. If it's good for alcohol and cigarettes, which are dangerous substances, it should be good for weed.

    Thank you.
    SionPlutarchTrashboat
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,419 Regulator
    pralims
    pralims wrote: »
    @sion
    should i take over for sawedoff?

    Yup got ahead & takeover any time you ready chief !!!
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    Hello,

    I am taking the stance of not legalizing weed which is difficult cause i got a sack right now. but here we go...


    I am going to start my debate with a rebut of my opponent.

    Legalizing pot to promote job growth is an easy out an takes the burden off the people whos job is to create jobs. This tactic to spark economic growth can actually hurt it. To run out of ideas so begin to legalize whats illegal is pitiful. Alcohol created thousands of jobs after the end of the prohibition, but it also created thousands of jobs for funeral homes from the rise in deaths due to drunk drivers. It also created thousands of jobs for AA for those that cant control the addiction. That's when we begin to step into ethics and morals and whats really important but I'm sure i will come back to this later.

    Pot kills brain cells and gives the illusion of relaxation or euphoria. Because of this illusion of relaxation people tend to become addicted to weed and people except this addition thinking it or they dont hurt anyone. If anything they will act stupid and make everyone laugh, right? But let's not forget we are human and we tend to lose control of our addictions. Once the lost of control is present then we bring in the term "gateway drug" because now the people need stronger weed, laced weed or stronger drugs to maintain the high they got for so long. So now the legal substance has to mixed with illegal substances or illegal substances has to be sought while the user chases that high. So along with your thousand of jobs you think the industry will bring, it will also bring thousands of betty ford clinics for the crackheads that needs to be housed. So is it morally worth it just to be the global GDP leader?
    Sionkingblaze84Plutarchsilverfoxx
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    kingblaze84
    pralims wrote: »
    Hello,

    I am taking the stance of not legalizing weed which is difficult cause i got a sack right now. but here we go...


    I am going to start my debate with a rebut of my opponent.

    Legalizing pot to promote job growth is an easy out an takes the burden off the people whos job is to create jobs. This tactic to spark economic growth can actually hurt it. To run out of ideas so begin to legalize whats illegal is pitiful. Alcohol created thousands of jobs after the end of the prohibition, but it also created thousands of jobs for funeral homes from the rise in deaths due to drunk drivers. It also created thousands of jobs for AA for those that cant control the addiction. That's when we begin to step into ethics and morals and whats really important but I'm sure i will come back to this later.

    Pot kills brain cells and gives the illusion of relaxation or euphoria. Because of this illusion of relaxation people tend to become addicted to weed and people except this addition thinking it or they dont hurt anyone. If anything they will act stupid and make everyone laugh, right? But let's not forget we are human and we tend to lose control of our addictions. Once the lost of control is present then we bring in the term "gateway drug" because now the people need stronger weed, laced weed or stronger drugs to maintain the high they got for so long. So now the legal substance has to mixed with illegal substances or illegal substances has to be sought while the user chases that high. So along with your thousand of jobs you think the industry will bring, it will also bring thousands of betty ford clinics for the crackheads that needs to be housed. So is it morally worth it just to be the global GDP leader?

    Well interesting you say how legalizing pot to promote job growth is the "easy out". Well how is that hard way out working for America right now?? People are out there living in misery because they cannot find good paying jobs. There are jobs out there true, but are most jobs out there paying good wages? Not really, so it's time to promote a new industry that has potential to create millions of high paying jobs. What are you afraid of? Smoking pot responsibly is much safer compared to drinking alcohol, you can black out drinking alcohol, can you black out smoking pot? NO. Time to promote jobs EASILY, this hard way out sucks for the economy and you don't seem to understand it's not working for many people out here.

    And you say pot kills brain cells, and I will concede pot isn't good for those whose brains are still developing. But for ADULTS, pot is no worse than alcohol, and yet alcohol is legal. Cigarettes is legal. So why the FUCK should pot be illegal?? You state some people can lose control and become addicted to pot but guess what? You can be addicted to ANYTHING if you lose control. Being addicted to fast food can cause cancer and obesity, should we outlaw Mcdonalds and Burger King? Absolutely not. Sugars can cause diabetes, should we outlaw soda and Twinkies? Would you???? NO, I didn't think so.

    Time to improve the economy and let people smoke what can be a harmless plant if smoked RESPONSIBLY. Do you believe in a nanny state? If you do, just say so knowing your belief would result in an absolute joke and disaster of an economy. A blunt every day probably isn't good for your lungs. But a joint a day isn't too bad. High powered weed can smoke oneself crazy but hey, why not outlaw high powered forms of weed and legalize moderate to weak forms of it? You ever heard of regulation? You also ethered yourself by admitting yourself you got weed on you now, you're a hypocrite and already lost your argument.
    SionPlutarchTrashboat
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    OK, making pot legal is not going to be the savior of our economy. it may create jobs across multiple industries but it will also create lazy and low producing workers in other industries. Jobs can be created with green tech, infrastructure and manufacturing. but that takes work and like i stated before, only the lazy will think making pot legal is the only way to spark our economy. Sounds like someone smokes weed in washington to me with that idea.

    You say that smoking one joint a day is ok and won't hurt your lungs, but i think you would need to smoke a bit more than that to help the economy. Cigarettes and alcohol help the economy...but also drives up cancer rates and alcohol related deaths. So i do think they both should be illegal because it contributes to earlier deaths and unhealthy people. People know its wrong but they make money from the product and taxes and feel good about because they place a warning label on the package. SO while someones auntie is dying of lung cancer, philip morris execs are driving in benzs not giving no fukks. Thats ok with you? to employ someone at the cost of a life.

    How much do you really think these people will make from their new weed jobs? Not alot and it wont really help shit. It's not about the hard way thats making jobs harder to find. Ask the big corporations why are they sitting on money and not creating jobs because its not a republican in office but thats going off topic. The jobs that was lost were send across seas and weed wont bring them back. it will be just a matter of time before thats outsourced.

    As for adults only smoking weed, you do realize that making it legal will make it easier to put into the hands of the young undeveloped minded youth. Just like kids pay extra to have the local crackhead buy them cigarettes and liquor...they can do the same with weed. Then we would have lil tommy and becky sneaking into daddies stash. And we all know that kids will not use it in moderation and how many responsible drug using adult do you know? It's hard enough teaching these kids nowadays, it will be even harder teaching high kids that wont take shit seriously.

    Now as far blacking out from alcohol, yes it happens but I think you got it wrong saying weed doesnt make people out. It does and it pretty common. Think about it, your smoking weed getting all relaxed and stupid then next think you know you waking up hours later. Happens all the time.
    SionPlutarch
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingblaze84
    pralims wrote: »
    OK, making pot legal is not going to be the savior of our economy. it may create jobs across multiple industries but it will also create lazy and low producing workers in other industries. Jobs can be created with green tech, infrastructure and manufacturing. but that takes work and like i stated before, only the lazy will think making pot legal is the only way to spark our economy. Sounds like someone smokes weed in washington to me with that idea.

    You say that smoking one joint a day is ok and won't hurt your lungs, but i think you would need to smoke a bit more than that to help the economy. Cigarettes and alcohol help the economy...but also drives up cancer rates and alcohol related deaths. So i do think they both should be illegal because it contributes to earlier deaths and unhealthy people. People know its wrong but they make money from the product and taxes and feel good about because they place a warning label on the package. SO while someones auntie is dying of lung cancer, philip morris execs are driving in benzs not giving no fukks. Thats ok with you? to employ someone at the cost of a life.

    How much do you really think these people will make from their new weed jobs? Not alot and it wont really help shit. It's not about the hard way thats making jobs harder to find. Ask the big corporations why are they sitting on money and not creating jobs because its not a republican in office but thats going off topic. The jobs that was lost were send across seas and weed wont bring them back. it will be just a matter of time before thats outsourced.

    As for adults only smoking weed, you do realize that making it legal will make it easier to put into the hands of the young undeveloped minded youth. Just like kids pay extra to have the local crackhead buy them cigarettes and liquor...they can do the same with weed. Then we would have lil tommy and becky sneaking into daddies stash. And we all know that kids will not use it in moderation and how many responsible drug using adult do you know? It's hard enough teaching these kids nowadays, it will be even harder teaching high kids that wont take shit seriously.

    Now as far blacking out from alcohol, yes it happens but I think you got it wrong saying weed doesnt make people out. It does and it pretty common. Think about it, your smoking weed getting all relaxed and stupid then next think you know you waking up hours later. Happens all the time.

    Wow you just said you think cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal lol.....so why not outlaw Burger King and Mcdonalds? Why not outlaw all fatty foods? They all contribute to diabetes and cancer rates. Your vision of the world would make this current bad economy into a depression. If you're going to outlaw cigarettes and alcohol, why stop there? Candy contributes to tooth decay, should we outlaw that too? Hell, we can outlaw pretty much anything if you think about it. Why not outlaw knives and guns too? FUCK IT, outlaw video games as well, some people can get epilepsy playing them, does that mean we should get rid of those too? Your vision of the world is extreme and would turn America into a 3rd world nation fast. We're slowly turning into one already let's not speed up the process.

    And as far as weed not creating many jobs if it was legalized, how do YOU know?? Why not legalize it and see what happens? As a matter of fact, there ARE jobs being created right now in states that have legalized medical marijuana, and many of these businesses are making a KILLING in California. The demand for weed is strong, ask the dude you bought weed from last week and ask him how business is doing. You can't say weed will be outsourced eventually and will not create high paying jobs because, ummm, it's not legalized yet lol. Let's legalize it and see what happens. What do we have to lose? Corporations aren't hiring like they used to, and yes jobs are being outsourced. That's even more reason to legalize weed, plus states need new tax revenue. The tax revenue we have now isn't enough.....creating high tech, manufacturing, green jobs is a good idea too but that's not happening fast enough. How long should America wait for these jobs to kick into high gear? We've been waiting for a hot minute now lol I'd like those green jobs to start forming......any second now.

    Funny how you say weed will create low productive and lazy people. Compared to what? I smoke weed and I'm anything but lazy, I bail non-weed smoking people out all the time. I can name a ton of famous people who smoke weed and are not lazy. If anything, people who drink alcohol are some of the laziest people I've ever met. Lame argument there, and you also admitted you smoke weed, are you lazy? If you are, speak for yourself and not the many doctors, lawyers, and construction workers worldwide who smoke weed and are highly productive members of society.


    You have a legit fear of weed getting into young people's hands and the higher powered weed that can knock people out, but again, that's what regulation is for. Regulation can outlaw the really powerful strands of weed and ban it for young people. Any business caught selling weed to those under age will be sent to jail, plain and simple. Will teenagers still get their hands on weed? Probably, but young kids have access to diabetes causing Big Macs, Whopper juniors, and Angus Deluxe sandwiches. You can't have a nanny state in which the govt controls EVERYBODY, at one point, personal responsibility has to kick in. I'm not sure if you even believe in personal responsibility, but it is the key to survival and success for any society. A nanny state only produces poverty and misery, you ever heard of North Korea?

    Sion
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    well will say to a degree I would ban certain things. but you cant compare food to drugs. In the slave era we only had scraps to eat like pig feet and chitterlings. That shit is unhealthy but it was necessary for live and we made it thur. When you venture into the drug life you are altering you senses and equilibrium for pleasure. Eating candy and burgers can be harmful but drugs will have mother leave they kids home while the sukk dikk for a high. That is a bit extreme but it has happened.

    Now when you say How will I know. You right I don't know. But I have been to amsterdam and I have been inside the coffee shops. I see that they are packed and it helps the local economy. But it's packed with tourists. The Holland pot economy is driven by tourist wanting to try legal weed as some sort of right of passage. The locals don't smoke enough weed to do crap to help out the economy compared to what tourists spend. And let me end that with the fact that its illegal to grow pot in Holland and most of the supply is from illegal means. So even when its ok its not ok.
    SO how do you plan on regulating pot? How are you going to stop people from growing it and selling it themselves to bring in extra money. Shit, if its legal then everybody is gonna want it from your stance. The shops will need to sell stronger weed than whats in the streets in order to stay in business. And the stronger weed with bring a stronger high that can possibly be a gateway to stronger things. Think about it...are you gonna spend $20 on some BS weed that don't do shit or $10 on weed that makes you damn near immobile? And whos gonna regulate whether you are carrying legal or illegal weed? Once the street level dealers know weed is ok for people to smoke weed they are going to go crazy and it may being a new wave of violence because of the fight for profit. Then it's the matter of over-saturation. the shops selling weed and street dudes selling stronger weed, will this really help the economy? The street level dude are not going to be taxed. I think its a pandoras box.

    With all these people smoking all this weed that has just become readily available, we are now stepping into making those who don't smoke sick. it's a fact that more smoke is inhaled by the non-smoker than the smoker because of the smoke that lingers in the air and thats just with cigarettes. Now what about all the smoke thats around now because of all the new weed smokers and the people that get high that don't want to be high. Second hand smoke rates would quadruple overnight.

    AS for the corproations and not making jobs fast enough....well rome wasn't build in a day so patience can bring great things.

    The doctors and lawyers and such you speak about that smokes weed and are still productive...yea...ok. Ever hear of a functional addict. It doesnt take away from the fact that it can get outta control. After all , we are a society of mass consumption.

    I am against a nanny state as you call it, but I am for not poisoning our society for profit. where it be, cigarette, state liquor stores or wendys triple double....that shit needs to stop. we are slowly poisoning our bodies and being feed constant media images that promote that whats bad is good and you really need it to be cool.

    I have heard of North Korea and guess what...they dont have shit outta control over there. Homie needs to feed his people but they aint high.lol. I believe people should be responsible but they need to be taught that early in life otherwise they follow what they are told is cool.


    I'd like to thank my opponent for a good debate. I had to take a side that i am not for but in debates you have to be able to take either side. I hope you vote for the best man and not cause you want to get high. I will end it will good bye, good night and God bless america.
    SionPlutarchFuriousOnejono
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingblaze84
    Nice post Pralims lol....may the best man win. Either way you agree with me deep down so it's all good.
    Sion
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    @sion
    when does the voting start and will the name change so I can vote for myself
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,419 Regulator
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,419 Regulator
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,419 Regulator
    pralims
    HOLY SHIT IT WORKED !!!!!!!

    @pralims

    Alright you guys are good to go. Voting will now commence.

    On Sunday I will post up my response and weigh in.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    Great debate fellas. Personally, I don't smoke, but I support the legalization of weed. But I've never really thought about some of the issues that you guys raised. I still support legalization, but I'm backtracking on some things now heh.

    I liked kingblaze's "nanny state" counter-argument. And his point about creating jobs and boosting the economy. And his counter-argument against pralims's point that making weed legal is lazy.

    Pralims's argument about the social and personal ethics of legalizing weed was insightful but kingblaze's counter-point about self-responsibility was equally insightful and bested pralims's "think of the children" argument. I also liked Pralim's Holland example.

    I think that the third round was the big decider. Kingblaze came strong but I felt that some of the content was redudant and therefore not as strong as it could be. On the otherhand, pralims made his best points with his "second-hand smoke," "functional addiction," and "possibile increase in the market and violence for high-grade weed" arguments.

    On a 1-3 scale for content, delivery, and facts, I had pralims taking round 1 by one point, kingblaze taking round 2 by one point, and pralims taking round 3 by one point. Good job guys.
    Trashboatkingblaze84
  • PlutarchPlutarch Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    Don't be lazy people! Put in your votes! This is the only time you can vote and acutally have it possibly make a huge difference without having to deal with fake ass politicians, the fake ass media, a fake ass electoral college, and a bunch of white racist voters.

    Take your time, but don't forget to vote!
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    we need more folk to vote.

    just cuz romney lost dont mean dont vote again.
    Sion
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,419 Regulator
    pralims
    Sion. wrote: »
    Sion. wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT IT WORKED !!!!!!!

    @pralims

    Alright you guys are good to go. Voting will now commence.

    On Sunday I will post up my response and weigh in.

    Fuuuucccckkkk I'm slippin SMMFH
    Plutarch
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    @sion...maybe we should move this to the gns to get more traffic....
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingblaze84
    Come on man, I know most of ya'll smoke weed here......
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    kingblaze84
    Sion. wrote: »
    Welcome to The Social Lounge Debates. In these debates you will judged based on 3 criteria - Content, Delivery and Fact. There is a word limit of 500 words per round, going over that will result in points being deducted. Additional rules are as follows: You have 3 rounds per debate and a time limit of 24 hours per round to respond. Each debate should take no longer than 3-5 days. If you are to vote please wait until the END of the debate to cast your vote. For spectators, please do not attempt to derail or throw the debaters off topic. Doing so will result in your vote not counting and you may be jailed/banned until the entire tournament is finished.


    Should marijuana be legalized nationwide ? kingblaze84 - No , pralims - Yes

    I just caught this post.....you just said I DON'T want weed legalized nationwide when I DO. Change your post. People probably voted against me without even reading the debate and just reading your post.
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 5,834 Regulator
    pralims
    ultimately i side with kingblaze's actual position, but i think pralims made a better argument under these parameters.
  • pralimspralims The real daddys second cousin of the devils neice that dates the brother of the owner of AHH. Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims
    @sion

    het bruh....we should go to the next round...while im winning..lol
This discussion has been closed.