Why couldn't Jay blow up when Big and Pac were alive?

PervisPervis Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
all I ever hear about jay-z is that he's the goat, the greatest ever, the mj of rap, best rapper of all time, and all that other bullshit. whenever i talk to these camel jockeys they always use sales as the reason why he's better than other mcs. but when pac and big was alive, where was he? why wasn't he doing big numbers? why wasn't he going plat like they was? why did he have to wait until big & pac left until he blew up?

you even had boring ass nawse going multi-plat in 96 when rap was at its most competitive. how can this cat be named the greatest when he had to wait for the two biggest names to die before he got on?
illedoutaladdin1978AggyAFPK_TK_187P swayze166tb_rip.dillalocksmith1Reggie80SleepwalkingInJapanMzKBAmotekun
«1345

Replies

  • Serious Juice MayneSerious Juice Mayne Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free post
    NikeAirMax5th Letter_Menace_tb_purpngoldeternal soldierMzKBThe Recipeinfamous114
  • NikeAirMaxNikeAirMax Posts: 510 ✭✭
    They were just much better Artists/Rappers and made much better Albums and music than he has in my opinion so that is why he simply couldn't blow up when they were alive
    Wild Selfking hassantb_SWAMPGODTheBoyRo
  • NikeAirMaxNikeAirMax Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Pervis wrote: »
    all I ever hear about jay-z is that he's the goat, the greatest ever, the mj of rap, best rapper of all time, and all that other bullshit. whenever i talk to these camel jockeys they always use sales as the reason why he's better than other mcs. but when pac and big was alive, where was he? why wasn't he doing big numbers? why wasn't he going plat like they was? why did he have to wait until big & pac left until he blew up?

    you even had boring ass nawse going multi-plat in 96 when rap was at its most competitive. how can this cat be named the greatest when he had to wait for the two biggest names to die before he got on?

    Even though Reasonable Doubt is by far the best Album Jay Z has ever made it still never sold that well at all
    Built 4 cuban linxblackgod813southsil4lil
  • NikeAirMaxNikeAirMax Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Also another reason is Jay Z's style was taken from and greatly influenced by Biggie Smalls
    deemula420
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pervis wrote: »
    all I ever hear about jay-z is that he's the goat, the greatest ever, the mj of rap, best rapper of all time, and all that other bullshit. whenever i talk to these camel jockeys they always use sales as the reason why he's better than other mcs. but when pac and big was alive, where was he? why wasn't he doing big numbers? why wasn't he going plat like they was? why did he have to wait until big & pac left until he blew up?

    you even had boring ass nawse going multi-plat in 96 when rap was at its most competitive. how can this cat be named the greatest when he had to wait for the two biggest names to die before he got on?

    if you think about it ... 2pac was already on the scene a few albums deep before jayz dropped his first record ... Tupac was already the man ... so was nas by time jayz dropped nas was on his second album coming off a street classic ... and another advantage nas, tupac & biggie had over jayz during that time everyone was signed to a major situation except for jayz .... jayz had an indy deal with priority which would be = to someone getting a deal in 2012 with Red or E1 ... jay had no chance to do big numbers with Reasonable Doubt ... the marketing, promotion & distribution wasnt even there even if he could move those kind of units with his 1st album ....
    Wild Self
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reason why Nas, Redman,etc didn't blow up. Last time i check Reasonable Doubt went gold quicker than Illmatic, Dare is a Darkside,etc.
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much competition. Way too tough for him to prosper in that era. Jay had to go up against BIG, Pac, Nas, Ghostface, Redman, Fugees. It was just insane on how many albums at that time were dropping and getting attention.
    MzKB
  • DR. JEKDR. JEK Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nigga just wasn't as good as the other 2 AND STILL AIN'T BETTER!
    NikeAirMaxtb_TheRicanKingCP203[Deleted User]
  • ShencotheMCShencotheMC KING Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread again? Must be that time of year again on the IC
    Bender Rodriguezqawshun
  • NikeAirMaxNikeAirMax Posts: 510 ✭✭
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    Nigga just wasn't as good as the other 2 AND STILL AIN'T BETTER!

    Agree with this 100% based on catalouge and content
  • I Am Jay PeeI Am Jay Pee Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a Overachiever close thread
    tb_
  • Elzo69RenaissanceElzo69Renaissance The only thing left now is GOD for these cats ZionPosts: 26,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe because during those days, Jay was seen as another run of the mill rapper w no originality bringing nothing into the game i
    B_A
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 26,397 Regulator
    Cats act like Jay was totally unknown nobody in 96. Jay's popularity was similar to where ASAP Rocky is right now. He wasn't as big as Big, Pac, Wu, Bone Thugs, Fugees, Nas, Busta, Redman etc. But he was known.
    IceBergTaylormoedays
  • IceBergTaylorIceBergTaylor The Spectacular Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nigga said Jay was like ASAP Rocky
    wack thread.
    5th Lettertexasdaking88Already Home_17
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 26,397 Regulator
    $pyda wrote: »
    Nigga said Jay was like ASAP Rocky
    wack thread.

    reading is fundamental
  • a_lista_list Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yo first off dude wasnt even a signed rapper for most of the time that big and pac were around.....in 96 he had a gold album just like ghostface, gza, mobb deep etc....I kno this shyt it trying to slight jay but why do we only ask this about jay....y didnt masta p blow up with big and pac around why didnt Jarule blow up with big and pac around? see where this can go?
  • IceBergTaylorIceBergTaylor The Spectacular Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    $pyda wrote: »
    Nigga said Jay was like ASAP Rocky
    wack thread.

    reading is fundamental

    I read that right.
    You said Jay's popularity was like ASAP Rocky's popularity.
    Thus you are saying Jay was like him at that time.

    No need to try to act like I didnt comprehend what you said. I did and it was stupid as fuck.
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't Pac blow when he first came out?

    And B.I.G. too?

    All artists go thru that.
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 45,896 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    cause niggas wasnt fucking with that speedknot shit... jay was stuck between era's during that time frame.... nigga was still rocking a gumby with a rope chain and rapping like treach when them niggas hit...
    Wild Self
  • MorganFreemanKingMorganFreemanKing Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tomorrow is Ether Day, huh?
    Disciplined InSightWild Self
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a_list wrote: »
    yo first off dude wasnt even a signed rapper for most of the time that big and pac were around.....in 96 he had a gold album just like ghostface, gza, mobb deep etc....I kno this shyt it trying to slight jay but why do we only ask this about jay....y didnt masta p blow up with big and pac around why didnt Jarule blow up with big and pac around? see where this can go?

    Is this logic?
  • CJCJ Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not this shit AGAIN
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.