PS3 is Netflix’s Most Popular Streaming Device (in the "Living Room")

joshuaboyjoshuaboy Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange, but true.

Today, the PlayStation Blog revealed some rather interesting and unexpected news: PlayStation 3 is the single most-used Netflix streaming device (connected to a television, anyway).

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings had the following to say: “PS3 is our largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing, and this year, at times, even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our number one platform overall… We can transparently update our application with new features on a daily basis, and through the free PlayStation Network, people around the world can sign up for Netflix directly from their PS3.”

Sony’s Phil Rosenberg claims that the PS3 “has become a primary development platform for the Netflix streaming experience, giving PS3 owners early access to many new features that come to other platforms later,” such as 1080p resolution and 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio.

But perhaps most interestingly, “PS3 is currently the only platform to experience a new voice user interface called ‘Max’ that’s currently being tested.” Is that so?

Replies

• focusfocus The #1 Nigga, I Don't Need No Hype. Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprised. The PS3 has always been more of a movie player.
    joshuaboyThe ProdigalsonSionDWOtha bause
  • themadlionsfanthemadlionsfan Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't netflix the shit the 360 heads was hypin up. A couple years back?
    PimpMVPjoshuaboyDWO
  • earth two supermanearth two superman ladies please dont fight. E2S is here all night! Posts: 16,950 Regulator
    ^
    yep, and having netflix watching parties flinging virtual popcorn at each other (option long gone btw)
    PimpMVPjoshuaboySionDWO
  • joshuaboyjoshuaboy Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    yep, and having netflix watching parties flinging virtual popcorn at each other (option long gone btw)

Blazini was pissed
    funkdocdamcearth two supermanBcotton5VIBE
  • The ProdigalsonThe Prodigalson Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can just stream from my TV now.
    edited December 2012

Yea, and Netflix is still dope on XBOX Live. So are XBOX Live parties. So are XBOX Live parties WHILE watching Netflix. Who is saying it isn't? Its just not the #1 thing we do on XBOX Live. We buy and play games on it mostly with friends. Not watch Blu-Rays and Netflix alone most of the time like PS3 owners. *shrugs*
    The Prodigalsontha bause
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 44,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    ^

Blazini was pissed

lol I still havent used netflix
    funkdocdamc
  • earth two supermanearth two superman ladies please dont fight. E2S is here all night! Posts: 16,950 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    ^

Blazini was pissed

he can still invite his friends over for kinect parties, including that one guy who looks suspiciously like blazinis son
    edited December 2012
    ^
    yep, and having netflix watching parties (option long gone btw)

LOL. No its not. You can do anything with anybody (or not) while in an XBOX Live party. There is nothing stopping a group of friends from starting a party then going into Netflix.

LOL. Its so funny to me. You have to explain every little simple thing about XBOX Live to PSN users. Its like XBOX Live is too complex for them since they are used to PSN. I guess 360 owners just take it for granted. LOL.
    edited December 2012
    focus wrote: »
    ^

LOL. No its not. You can do anything with anybody (or not) while in an XBOX Live party. There is nothing stopping a group of friends from starting a party then going into Netflix.

LOL. Its so funny to me. You have to explain every little simple thing about XBOX Live to PSN users. Its like XBOX Live is too complex for them since they are used to PSN. I guess 360 owners just take it for granted. LOL.
    ^
    loves explaining shit to people who dont give a crap. its a good thing focus still has xbl parties then, cuz I doubt he gets to go to many in real life.
    edited December 2012
    anyways, back to non coon shit. netflix needs some new movies. im done with breaking bad and after i finish SOA, im really gonna have no reason to keep it. the only new movies ive seen pop up on it is the Artist and Hugo. they have every how i met your mother but no 2 and a half men or big bang theory
  • blackkevblaziniblackkevblazini Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^

I thought they took that out because it let people that wasn't netflix subscribers watch too
  • themadlionsfanthemadlionsfan Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, and Netflix is still dope on XBOX Live. So are XBOX Live parties. So are XBOX Live parties WHILE watching Netflix. Who is saying it isn't? Its just not the #1 thing we do on XBOX Live. We buy and play games on it mostly with friends. Not watch Blu-Rays and Netflix alone most of the time like PS3 owners. *shrugs*

i wish u 360 heads would explain what else there is to do on 360.....I stream from my ps3 brother....in fact i hook a usb or my 3tb HD and watch whatever I want.....the only time I used my 360 is to watch the sopranos and once a week to watch boardwalk empire....now that thats over....I fear I have a 250 dollar paperweight....

360 is for broke niggas that cant afford cable
    edited December 2012
    ^

I thought they took that out because it let people that wasn't netflix subscribers watch too

I never heard that or tried it, but that would be something different anyway. All it ever did was give an optional theater aesthetic to Netflix and put your Avatars on the screen in the theater. It was novel, but unnecessary. Any group of friends have always been able to watch Netflix while in a party.

People who just flat out didnt have Netflix, well, thats a whole other thing and they shouldnt have been able to watch in the first place.
  • DNB1DNB1 If Yeen Got No Haters U Aint Poppin' Posts: 14,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

You remember the timeline:

Netflix announces "exclusive" streaming deal for 360.

Arcade Coon: "PS3 sucks because you ain't got Netflix"

One week later: Netflix also available on PS3 and Wii

Arcade Coon: "PS3 sucks because you gotta use a disc to get Netflix"

One year later: "Disc no longer needed for PS3 and Wii after 360's exclusive deal is over. PS3 only console to support 1080p and 5.1 audio"

Arcade Coon: "PS3 sucks because you can't have movie night with your boys"

Today: PS3 is Netflix’s Most Popular Streaming Device

Arcade Coon:
    Not surprised. The PS3 has always been more of a movie player.

LMFAO..
  • DNB1DNB1 If Yeen Got No Haters U Aint Poppin' Posts: 14,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMH @ grown niggas getting together to watch a movie.....sounds like a group date.

I couldn't even imagine approaching the subject wid niggas....

Xbox niggas getting together to watch Twilight and shit....disgust.
    joshuaboyPimpMVP
  • Michael_MaliceMichael_Malice #YM Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of faggot shit is a got damn "Netflix" Movie Night Party??? Who the fuck does that type of shit?
    PimpMVP
    edited December 2012
    LOL. Well, I couldnt care less about all the blatant hating on something you want desperately, but just cant have, therefore cannot understand and so you attack out of fear. And as we all know, fear is the path to the darkside. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. LOL. Bottom line: PS3 doesn't have parties and never will because of system limitations even though its the most requested feature by PS3 owners, so they are stuck gaming in a vaccum and cant stand it. Period. LOL.

But, this thread does bring up an interesting question...why do yall assume its all niggas anyway? Are there not any girl gamers on the PS3? Clearly not. That explains a lot about PS3 owners. I have at least 30 on my friends list. *shrugs*
    earth two supermanDWO
    edited December 2012
    Lmao @ all the explaining. The 30 girls defense is a new one though, ill give him that.

So no females on PS3. Thats what I thought. LOL.

Never said that, but it sounds like its the only female interaction you get so more power to you.
    PimpMVP
    edited December 2012
    Never said that, but it sounds like its the only female interaction you get so more power to you.

Wii owners have real friends
    360 owners have online friends
    PS3 owners have no friends

This golden rule still applies. LOL.

Focus about to cry yo. Someone call his 30+ female xbl friends to console him.
    PimpMVP