Rolling Stone's Hip Hop Mount Rushmore/Top 50 Songs (Pac, Big, Jay and Em) do you agree???

rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,454
edited December 2012 in The Reason
rolling-stone-covers.png?w=540&h=544

These are four collectible covers that Rolling Stone released for their list of the "50 Greatest Rap Songs of All Time". It actually wasn't that terrible of a list. Most of the songs they picked were from the 1980's believe it or not so they did their research. But I did this thread cause it was interesting who they chose on their covers. Rolling Stone is the most popular and historic music magazine in not just the U.S. but the World. So even though they don't speak for Hip Hop, people around the world see those covers.

So for them to choose these 4 rappers to highlight this list is like they are making a statement that these are the most Iconic Rappers of All Time. Pac and Big is a no brainer. Call them over rated, say they only get love cause they died. It doesn't matter, 15 years after they both have been gone, there story and legend continue to be told. Next you see Jay, well he's there cause of his success. He's clearly had one of the most successful rap careers of all time. He's almost one of Hip Hop premier business figures.

Last I'm sure will raise some eye brows is Eminem. Who after the release of "Recovery" surpassed Tupac as the Highest Selling rapper Worldwide (Tupac is still the highest selling stateside but a new Em album will dethrone him from that). He's the Great White Hype/Hope. Em is talented but this is exactly what I feared. He would be elevated to Top 5. Again in no way am I saying Rolling Stone is the voice of Hip Hop but these covers will be blasted across the globe. So I have a feeling that these 4 rappers will be considered Hip Hop's Mount Rushmore. NaS should be there but sadly he's not as popular as the other 4 globally. Despite his success, sales and great catalog, he's still the underdog as far as popularity.

Full List:

1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
2. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
3. Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force
4. Sucker MC's - Run-DMC
5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys
6. Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang - Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
7. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
8. Juicy - The Notorious B.I.G.
9. Straight Outta Compton - NWA
10. Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim
11. CREAM - The Wu-Tang Clan
12. They Reminisce Over You (TROY) - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
13. La Di Da Di - Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew
14. Rebel Without a Pause - Public Enemy
15. **** tha Police - NWA
16. Big Pimpin' - Jay-Z feat. UGK
17. Peter Piper - Run-DMC
18. Dear Mama - 2Pac
19. Paul Revere - Beastie Boys
20. In Da Club - 50 Cent
21. Rick the Bells - LL Cool J
22. Strictly Business - EPMD
23. I Know You Got Soul - Eric B. and Rakim
24. It Takes Two - Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
25. Ain't No Half Steppin' - Big Daddy Kane
26. Scenario - A Tribe Called Quest
27. Flava in Ya Ear (Remix) - Craig Mack, Rampage, the Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes
28. Lose Yourself - Eminem
29. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
30. Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.
31. NY State of Mind - Nas
32. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
33. 99 Problems - Jay-Z
34. P.S.K. What Does It Mean? - Schoolly D
35. Shook One Pt. II - Mobb Deep
36. Rosa Parks - OutKast
37. It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
38. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliott
39. My Name Is... - Eminem
40. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
41. California Love - 2Pac & Dr. Dre
42. South Bronx - Boogie Down Productions
43. Top Billin' - Audio Two
44. Me, Myself and I - De La Soul
45. Lost Ones - Lauren Hill
46. Push It - Salt-N-Peppa
47. That's the Joint - Funky 4 + 1
48. The Symphony - Marley Marl
49. Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
50. B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad) - OutKast

Replies