Rolling Stone's Hip Hop Mount Rushmore/Top 50 Songs (Pac, Big, Jay and Em) do you agree???

rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in The Reason
rolling-stone-covers.png?w=540&h=544

These are four collectible covers that Rolling Stone released for their list of the "50 Greatest Rap Songs of All Time". It actually wasn't that terrible of a list. Most of the songs they picked were from the 1980's believe it or not so they did their research. But I did this thread cause it was interesting who they chose on their covers. Rolling Stone is the most popular and historic music magazine in not just the U.S. but the World. So even though they don't speak for Hip Hop, people around the world see those covers.

So for them to choose these 4 rappers to highlight this list is like they are making a statement that these are the most Iconic Rappers of All Time. Pac and Big is a no brainer. Call them over rated, say they only get love cause they died. It doesn't matter, 15 years after they both have been gone, there story and legend continue to be told. Next you see Jay, well he's there cause of his success. He's clearly had one of the most successful rap careers of all time. He's almost one of Hip Hop premier business figures.

Last I'm sure will raise some eye brows is Eminem. Who after the release of "Recovery" surpassed Tupac as the Highest Selling rapper Worldwide (Tupac is still the highest selling stateside but a new Em album will dethrone him from that). He's the Great White Hype/Hope. Em is talented but this is exactly what I feared. He would be elevated to Top 5. Again in no way am I saying Rolling Stone is the voice of Hip Hop but these covers will be blasted across the globe. So I have a feeling that these 4 rappers will be considered Hip Hop's Mount Rushmore. NaS should be there but sadly he's not as popular as the other 4 globally. Despite his success, sales and great catalog, he's still the underdog as far as popularity.

Full List:

1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
2. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
3. Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force
4. Sucker MC's - Run-DMC
5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys
6. Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang - Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
7. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
8. Juicy - The Notorious B.I.G.
9. Straight Outta Compton - NWA
10. Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim
11. CREAM - The Wu-Tang Clan
12. They Reminisce Over You (TROY) - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
13. La Di Da Di - Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew
14. Rebel Without a Pause - Public Enemy
15. **** tha Police - NWA
16. Big Pimpin' - Jay-Z feat. UGK
17. Peter Piper - Run-DMC
18. Dear Mama - 2Pac
19. Paul Revere - Beastie Boys
20. In Da Club - 50 Cent
21. Rick the Bells - LL Cool J
22. Strictly Business - EPMD
23. I Know You Got Soul - Eric B. and Rakim
24. It Takes Two - Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
25. Ain't No Half Steppin' - Big Daddy Kane
26. Scenario - A Tribe Called Quest
27. Flava in Ya Ear (Remix) - Craig Mack, Rampage, the Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes
28. Lose Yourself - Eminem
29. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
30. Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.
31. NY State of Mind - Nas
32. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
33. 99 Problems - Jay-Z
34. P.S.K. What Does It Mean? - Schoolly D
35. Shook One Pt. II - Mobb Deep
36. Rosa Parks - OutKast
37. It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
38. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliott
39. My Name Is... - Eminem
40. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
41. California Love - 2Pac & Dr. Dre
42. South Bronx - Boogie Down Productions
43. Top Billin' - Audio Two
44. Me, Myself and I - De La Soul
45. Lost Ones - Lauren Hill
46. Push It - Salt-N-Peppa
47. That's the Joint - Funky 4 + 1
48. The Symphony - Marley Marl
49. Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
50. B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad) - OutKast
SWAMPGODgenocidecutterblacktuxAfrica United

Replies

• usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • StewStew Im In My Permanent PRhyme We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 33,555 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    CJ wrote: »
    Lol @ em having a greatest song of all time smh

How doesnt he have at least one of them?
    The RecipeDMTxTHCROZAYTABERNACLEBlack_SamsonFy_HunnitMzblackgod813grumpycat
  • NikeAirMaxNikeAirMax Posts: 510 ✭✭
    They are right aside from Jay Z would replace him with 50 Cent
    StewCJjust.might.b.oknj2089illedoutKINGECinfamous114TheRicanKingROZAYTABERNACLESWAMPGODblackgod813Already Home_175th Lettersoul rattlerFLYguy69
  • BarryHallsBarryHalls Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all a marketing ploy. We all know who the GOAT is. Did you just get done reading the "Happy Ether Day" thread?
    illedoutValentinez A. KaiserAfrica United
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nas stans don't let us troll yall like this, but I see the Em soldiers have already landed

what was the list?
    Bodhi
    edited December 2012
    2pac - Changes and California Love

Eminem - Lose Yourself, Sing For The Moment, Stan, The Way I Am, Superman (Eminem also Produced all)

Biggie Smalls - Juicy, Big Poppa, Hypnotize

In my opinion these Songs are the 1s that are amongst the greatest Hip Hop Songs in history from thoe 3
    _Menace_illedoutBarryHallsMrCrookedLetterinfamous114DMTxTHCpurpngoldROZAYTABERNACLEiron man15th Lettersoul rattlerJudah Backalmighty breeze
  • CJCJ Posts: 12,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Em music don't do it for me
    BodhiilledoutDMTxTHC
  • StewStew Im In My Permanent PRhyme We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 33,555 Regulator

Wack reasoning. Guarantee you theres at least 1 song on here from an artist that most ppl dont fuck with.
    BarryHallsDMTxTHCIceBergTaylorandre_1024grumpycat
    There can be a case for Nas to be there though with his N.Y. State Of Mind Song but i think there are many other Rappers who have better Songs than that 1 but Nas should have definitley been there instead of Jay Z atleast IMO
    blackjack2012
  • nyst8ofminnyst8ofmin Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    i mean, i dont care for eminem but im not starting "eminem L's" thread. its a certain type of personality that craves that attention. nas should be there imo but my opinion is not thread worthy.............

Wack reasoning. Guarantee you theres at least 1 song on here from an artist that most ppl dont fuck with.

So lemme get this straight..

I say his music doesn't do it for ME which is why in MY opinion he don't got a top 50 song is wack reasoning? I see

It is wack cause even if his music doesn't do it for you doesn't mean every single song dude has made is laughable from making this list which is exactly what u did like he's on Soulja Boy level or something lol
  • nj2089nj2089 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thge point is CJ it doesn't matter if his music don't do it for you cos you just 1 blogger

His Music does it for 80 plus Million people around the globe which is why he sold the most records ever and won so many awards for his Music

So the simple math CJ is you are just 1 person outta 80 Million people that love his music, just that simple
    infamous114
  • JokerKingJokerKing She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 24,411 Regulator
    Eminem sells magazines
    Sionnujerz84almighty breeze
  • CJCJ Posts: 12,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

So lemme get this straight..

I say his music doesn't do it for ME which is why in MY opinion he don't got a top 50 song is wack reasoning? I see

It is wack cause even if his music doesn't do it for you doesn't mean every single song dude has made is laughable from making this list which is exactly what u did like he's on Soulja Boy level or something lol

Ok
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nex gin wrote: »
    Had the cover said "50 Greatest MCs Of All Time" then I could see this thread being made. Howmuthafuckinever, it said 50 greatest songs. Outside of "If I Ruled the World", what other commerically accepted song does Nas have that could even be included in a top 50 "OF ALL TIME" list? And trust I'm not dissing Nas...he's my favorite mc. Just speaking the truth. Personally, I would name a lot of his songs that I think are dope as fuck, but you aren't going to find many "mainstreamers" that would agree. Plus this is Rolling Stones. #nofuxgivn

If commercial acceptability is being what's used as a criteria, a lot of the old school songs like The Message, Fight the power, etc won't make that list. There is no way you're making a list without those songs making it.

Neva_Change
  • MrCrookedLetterMrCrookedLetter I'm More Busta Rhymes Than Martin Lawrence Posts: 14,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @icecoldstew when you gonna ban that hoe?
    nj2089
    nyst8ofmin wrote: »
    i mean, i dont care for eminem but im not starting "eminem L's" thread. its a certain type of personality that craves that attention. nas should be there imo but my opinion is not thread worthy.............

This list is not based on what a few bloggers like you think though the fact 80 plus million people think his Songs are the best, other Rappers think so too, music reviwers think so etc is simply why

You can't argue with 80 Million peoples view and other great Rappers who will also say his Songs are some of the best ever in history like Rakim, even Nas himself, and almost most Rappers period actually

Also the fact the Songs he has are such big Hits too along with the fact they actually won important Awards like a Grammy fopr their Artistic brilliance
  • _Menace__Menace_ 4 MOD West.Side.CaliforniaPosts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol at that one dude saying big and PAC have notable 2classics

Pac-keep ya head up/changes/dear momma/I get around/Brenda's gotta baby/Cali love/Hail Mary/How Do You Want it/Me against the world/Ambitions As A Ridha

BIG- Juicy/Hypnotize/Sky's The Limit/Mo Money Mo Problems/Suicidal Thoughts/Niggas Bleed/One More Chance
    rapmastermindSion
    Nas should be on the cover BIG's on btw.
    TheRicanKingDMTxTHCFy_HunnitMzIceBergTaylor5th Lettersoul rattleralmighty breeze
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Lol at that one dude saying big and PAC have notable 2classics

Pac-keep ya head up/changes/dear momma/I get around/Brenda's gotta baby/Cali love/Hail Mary/How Do You Want it/Me against the world/Ambitions As A Ridha

BIG- Juicy/Hypnotize/Sky's The Limit/Mo Money Mo Problems/Suicidal Thoughts/Niggas Bleed/One More Chance

Only 2pac Songs that are amongst the best HIp Hop Songs ever are Changes anf California LOve and Biggie Juicy, Hyponitize, Juicy

This Source list is not based on just good Songs but Songs they feel are amongst the best ever in Hip Hop history and only those 2pac and Biggie Songs have a right to be there
    infamous114blackgod813_Menace_