lol the old commissioner just shit on Goodell

SleepwalkingInJapanSleepwalkingInJapan Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
The suspenions of the four players -- Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove -- involved in the New Orleans Saints bounty program have been vacated, a league spokesperson announced Tuesday.

Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who was appointed to handle a second round of player appeals to the league, did find that the players' conduct was detrimental to the league. He says they participated in a performance pool that rewarded key plays -- including hard tackles -- that could justify fines.

"Unlike Saints' broad organizational misconduct, player appeals involve sharply focused issues of alleged individual player misconduct in several different aspects," Tagliabue said in a statement released by the league. "My affirmation of Commissioner Goodell's findings could certainly justify the issuance of fines. However, this entire case has been contaminated by the coaches and others in the Saints' organization."

The NFL reacted to the ruling:

"We respect Mr. Tagliabue's decision, which underscores the due process afforded players in NFL disciplinary matters," the NFL said in a statement released on Twitter. "This matter has now been reviewed by Commissioner Goodell, two CBA grievance arbitrators, the CBA Appeals Panel, and Mr. (Tagliabue) as Commissioner Goodell's designated appeals officer.

"... The decisions have made clear that the Saints operated a bounty program in violation of league rules for three years, that the program endangered player safety, and that the commissioner has the authority under the CBA to impose discipline for those actions as conduct detrimental to the league. Strong action was taken in this matter to protect player safety and ensure that bounties would be eliminated from football."

Vilma's attorney, Peter Ginsberg, said his client plans to pursue a defamation lawsuit.

"Jonathan intends to continue to pursue the defamation lawsuit in order to reclaim his reputation," Ginsberg told NFL.com's Albert Breer. "We're pleased that the unjust penalties have been overturned, but this is only one piece in remedying the situation for Jonathan."

Saints quarterback Drew Brees tweeted his support of the players shortly after the suspensions were vacated: "Congratulations to our players for having the suspensions vacated. Unfortunately, there are some things that can never be taken back."

An NFL probe that covered three seasons concluded that Vilma and Smith were ring-leaders of a cash-for-hits program that rewarded injurious tackles labeled as "cart-offs" and "knockouts."

The NFL also concluded that Hargrove lied to NFL investigators to help cover up the program.

The players have been allowed to play while appeals are pending, though Fujita is on injured reserve and Hargrove is not with a team. Shortly before the regular season, the initial suspensions were vacated by an appeal panel created by the league's collective bargaining agreement. Goodell then reissued them with some modifications. Meanwhile, the players have challenged the NFL's handling of the entire process in federal court.

Tagliabue's ruling comes after a new round of hearings that for the first time allowed Vilma's attorneys and the NFL Players Association, which represents the other three players, to cross-examine key NFL witnesses in the probe. Those witnesses included former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and former Saints assistant Mike Cerullo, who was fired after the 2009 season.
playmaker88Young_ChitlinwilberdmillzthemadlionsfanVulcanRavenSolitary Soldier

Replies

• ShizlanskyShizlansky Nothing better then being a father. Posts: 20,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuck him.

We already lost our coach for the year.
  • Matt-Matt- Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a clusterfuck. so he says that there was a bounty and that fines were warrented, but the saints somehow tainted the investigation so nobody gets punished?
  • PaperPlaneJanePaperPlaneJane Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole ruling is nothing but doubletalk to overturn suspension because it was unwarranted in the first place... but still give Goodell power to punish at will under the veil of "conduct detrimental".

This ruling does nothing to hurt or harm the NFL or Goodell when it comes to the Vilma defamation case. But now you have to worry about Hargrove's coming defamation case. And there's still a Judge that has to make her ruling on the whole thing as well....it's all just a complete and utter failure no matter how Tags tries to pretty it up to make Goodell look good.
  • illedoutilledout Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He said Goodell could have suspended more players but didn't.

If they did it they all should have got suspended. Why single out 4 players if you find more players guilty.

Shit is fraudulent.
    Pay for performance is all it was.
  • greenwood1921greenwood1921 Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PT Cruiser need to get that commish gig back.

Goodell making David Stern look good right now.
  • south4lifesouth4life Bama Repesenta! Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too late anyway, The Saints are out of the playoff race.
    We lost our coach for the year, the GM and assistant coach was suspended and 2 active Saints players were suspended, the season is a lost at this point fuck Roger Goodell.
    Crude_
    i'm really not understanding Tagliabu's reasoning that the players should not be held accountable because they were just following the coaches orders. That defense was used at the Nuremberg Trials and nobody was fooled into thinking that should let the officers of the third reich off the hook. and no i'm not comparing Greg Williams and Sean Payton to Adolf Hiter.
  • A$AP_A$TONA$AP_A$TON She says I'm obsessed with big titties and I agreeeee Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tagliabue is a bawse and he not even the bawse no more.
  • Knock_TwiceKnock_Twice Aint never had nothing in my whole life, grew up on eggs and rice Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see Vilma hasn't dropped his suit against Goodell ass...dumb ass cost us a playoff run..

Still smh chad johnson calling this dude daddy...
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt- wrote: »
    i'm really not understanding Tagliabu's reasoning that the players should not be held accountable because they were just following the coaches orders. That defense was used at the Nuremberg Trials and nobody was fooled into thinking that should let the officers of the third reich off the hook. and no i'm not comparing Greg Williams and Sean Payton to Adolf Hiter.

So then why bring up "Nuremberg"? If your going to use that harsh a context then you might as well use the worst example. This is not on that level so the expectations are very different. The Players arent and shouldnt be held accountable for what the coaches FORCE them to do. Lets not forget how powerful NFL coaches are (both Harbaugh bros, Bellicheck, Coughlin regulate on players all the time) also players can be cut at any time. All for what? Not going out and what they WANT to do anyway?

This has been a massive clusterfuck for Goodell. He should have left it at the coaches and mangers....once you go after players it just blurs the lines between whats coaching and whats intent.
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at saints fans mad yall have nobody to blame but the team you root for. The NFL warned yall to stop that shit. While i agree godell went to far with his suspensions you guys G checked the nfl by continuing the shit after they told you to stop.

The patriots had spygate got caught and stopped that shit. The saints got caught got warned and kept going. Tough break niggas.
    rage wrote: »
    Matt- wrote: »

So then why bring up "Nuremberg"? If your going to use that harsh a context then you might as well use the worst example. This is not on that level so the expectations are very different. The Players arent and shouldnt be held accountable for what the coaches FORCE them to do. Lets not forget how powerful NFL coaches are (both Harbaugh bros, Bellicheck, Coughlin regulate on players all the time) also players can be cut at any time. All for what? Not going out and what they WANT to do anyway?

This has been a massive clusterfuck for Goodell. He should have left it at the coaches and mangers....once you go after players it just blurs the lines between whats coaching and whats intent.

i used that example because i hoped that rational people were beyond drawing those types of conclusions and could see that the example was to point out that "just following orders" isn't always a good defense. i mean if you are a street officer somewhere and your next in command tells you to go bang some heads on the corners and they go out to the corners and bang heads.... and then those people file a complaint and decide to sue the department...if it is found that a violation was commited, then those officers aren't going to just get off clean b/c they followed orders. and no i'm not comparing the saints defense to police brutality damnit.