Meteorologist Rhonda Lee Fired For Responding To Racist Viewer Comment On Facebook

AmotekunAmotekun Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
Shreveport, LA Rhonda Lee a Black Meteorologist is fired after responding to racist comments left by viewers on the
newstation FB page.

Now INB4 the usual coons come in and say well she should've just ignored them responding was just unprofessional. Remember couple months a ago that fat white bitch who chastised posters for denigrating her weight? Was that bitch fired or did America hold her up as a hero? Riiiiiiiight.... On with the story.

Now I know some of yall dont like to read but....fuck you. If you're interested in finding out what happened you'll have to do some reading...but I wont mind dropping some tidbits.

The original headline I ran across was Black Meteorologist Fired for Responding to Criticism to Her Natural Hair.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/12/black-reporter-fired-for-responding-to-derogatory-comments-about-her-natural-hair/

Then a more fleshed out story showed how commentators left negative remarks regarding the children of a toy give away noting how the children were all black. Rhonda appealed to her program at the Newstation asking them to take the very derogatory comments down...but they left them up. Finally when Rhonda responded to comments about her hair she was fired for violating a policy and the station was informed of the policy at a meeting she did not attend.

See how this goes....

Link to full story:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ktbs-tv-meteorologist-rhonda-lee-fired-for-responding-to-racist-viewer-comment-on-facebook/

Replies

• Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No lie, when I clicked that link, my first thought was "That short hair is terrible.".

That nigga was just keeping it real, not racist.

Though I suspect he is a racist anyway.
    7figzLUClENAfrica UnitedHyenaKillablakfyahking
  • ShizlanskyShizlansky Nothing better then being a father. Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She didn't say nothing bad.
    LUClEN5th Letter
  • Matt-Matt- Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • VIBEVIBE Awww Yeeaah! Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with this, she should've...

Just kidding. That's fucked up. She should be glad she's gone from that shitty place now though, she will get a job and have a lot of people backing her. Her comment was a proper one to me, she just now has to move on to the next job. No way she should go back after this.
    grumpycat
  • The ProdigalsonThe Prodigalson Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the comment as racist but I don't understand why she was fired. The headline is misleading yo.
  • DWODWO ♪♫♪ I was down 40, now I'm up 50. Posts: 49,016 Regulator
    i don't think she shouldn't have got fired...but she gotta keep her emotions in check, i just hope she wasn't in a situation where she really NEEDED that job...

i mean i can't really blame her... but again...that's your job we talking about.....
    Meta_ConsciousLurker6Africa Uniteddeadeye
  • AmotekunAmotekun Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vibe I want you to tell me again about this post racial america

where people are not penalized for not being white...or specifically being Black
    and standing up for themselves.

For her to get a job requires Rhonda to depend on the tender mercies of other white
    tv station managers. Word?
    deadeye
    On Oct. 1, a viewer identified as Emmitt Vascocu wrote, ‘the black lady that does the news is a very nice lady.the only thing is she needs to wear a wig or grow some more hair. im not sure if she is a cancer patient. but still its not something myself that i think looks good on tv. what about letting someone a male have waist long hair do the news.what about that (cq).’

Lee replied the same day, ‘Hello Emmitt--I am the 'black lady' to which you are referring. I'm sorry you don't like my ethnic hair. And no I don't have cancer. I'm a non-smoking, 5'3, 121 lbs, 25 mile a week running, 37.5 year old woman, and I'm in perfectly healthy physical condition.

I am very proud of my African-American ancestry which includes my hair. For your edification: traditionally our hair doesn't grow downward. It grows upward. Many Black women use strong straightening agents in order to achieve a more European grade of hair and that is their choice. However in my case I don't find it necessary. I'm very proud of who I am and the standard of beauty I display. Women come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and levels of beauty. Showing little girls that being comfortable in the skin and HAIR God gave me is my contribution to society. Little girls (and boys for that matter) need to see that what you look like isn't a reason to not achieve their goals.

Conforming to one standard isn't what being American is about and I hope you can embrace that. Thank you for your comment and have a great weekend and thank for watching.

Vascocu replied that Lee was right to be proud of who she is and that he is not a racist, but ". . . this world has . . . certain standerd (cq). if youve come from a world of being poor are you going to dress in rags?.

lol @ her catching feelings like that over some hair.
    Lurker6SixSickSinsAfrica UnitedNoir#1hiphopjunki3skpjr78miamivice305ohhhlaFuriousOneidoitforhiphop10TheRicanKing
    Matt- wrote: »
    On Oct. 1, a viewer identified as Emmitt Vascocu wrote, ‘the black lady that does the news is a very nice lady.the only thing is she needs to wear a wig or grow some more hair. im not sure if she is a cancer patient. but still its not something myself that i think looks good on tv. what about letting someone a male have waist long hair do the news.what about that (cq).’

Lee replied the same day, ‘Hello Emmitt--I am the 'black lady' to which you are referring. I'm sorry you don't like my ethnic hair. And no I don't have cancer. I'm a non-smoking, 5'3, 121 lbs, 25 mile a week running, 37.5 year old woman, and I'm in perfectly healthy physical condition.

I am very proud of my African-American ancestry which includes my hair. For your edification: traditionally our hair doesn't grow downward. It grows upward. Many Black women use strong straightening agents in order to achieve a more European grade of hair and that is their choice. However in my case I don't find it necessary. I'm very proud of who I am and the standard of beauty I display. Women come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and levels of beauty. Showing little girls that being comfortable in the skin and HAIR God gave me is my contribution to society. Little girls (and boys for that matter) need to see that what you look like isn't a reason to not achieve their goals.

Conforming to one standard isn't what being American is about and I hope you can embrace that. Thank you for your comment and have a great weekend and thank for watching.

Vascocu replied that Lee was right to be proud of who she is and that he is not a racist, but ". . . this world has . . . certain standerd (cq). if youve come from a world of being poor are you going to dress in rags?.

lol @ her catching feelings like that over some hair.

Her feelings weren't over the hair...her feelings were about her news station's refusal to remove the racist comments.
    She caught feelings because some obviously cracca ass cracca was so uncomfortable with her blackness...even though she's not even that dark he had to comment.

SMH @ him comparing being poor and representing your ethnicity as to being in rags. So wearing weave and rocking straight hair like europeans is the epitome of wealth?
    #1hiphopjunki3
  • GodNThaBuild'nGodNThaBuild'n ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)  I'm stuck in a time capsule where rap was actually factualPosts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    INB4 heauxs come in talking about natural hair in shit
    SixSickSins
    I dont see anything that was offensive in her response .........

What was offensive on behalf of Rhonda is the unspoken policy she violated.

Making white folks uncomfortable by standing up for her blackness. You know that shit is a
    violation.

SneakDZA#1hiphopjunki3Young Stefidoitforhiphop10
  • VIBEVIBE Awww Yeeaah! Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amotekun wrote: »

where people are not penalized for not being white...or specifically being Black

For her to get a job requires Rhonda to depend on the tender mercies of other white

It depends On the person, I have no control over how other white people react towards non-whites.

It's stated there is a policy, if this is true, then what can be said? I know of friends who don't have a Facebook or twitter for this reason, the workplace has a certain policy. What exactly it is, I'm not sure of, but it's not a surprise that there might be one. If there is though, then the racial issue is automatically cancelled out.

As for "punished for being black", it happens, I won't say it doesn't, but don't try to make it seem like this happens 100% to all black people.
  • Mr.LVMr.LV Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when that white women who was obviously fat stood up for herself on local news station nothing happen to her story went national from MSNBC,CNN and fox news. But when a black woman stands up for herself she is fired, I'm not surprise.
    deadeyeYoung Stefmiamivice305idoitforhiphop10
    so basically she let Vascocu troll her outta a job.....

i mean i understand being upset.....but now he can feel like he won cuz she's not on tv no more....

yea she said her piece.. but now she doesn't have a job....so just cuz she "stood up" for herself..you gonna say she won?

i dunno, ......... i don't think she shouda lost her job tho.... , the station handled that wrong, they shoulda just deleted the comment
    Lurker6deadeye
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    So when that white women who was obviously fat stood up for herself on local news station nothing happen to her story went national from MSNBC,CNN and fox news. But when a black woman stands up for herself she is fired, I'm not surprise.

was it the same station?
    VIBE wrote: »
    Amotekun wrote: »

It depends On the person, I have no control over how other white people react towards non-whites.

It's stated there is a policy, if this is true, then what can be said? I know of friends who don't have a Facebook or twitter for this reason, the workplace has a certain policy. What exactly it is, I'm not sure of, but it's not a surprise that there might be one. If there is though, then the racial issue is automatically cancelled out.

As for "punished for being black", it happens, I won't say it doesn't, but don't try to make it seem like this happens 100% to all black people.

The policy was not written and obviously it was some bullshit the way it came across. Incredibly suspect, policy not written down and the violation of it occurred in a meeting Rhonda did not attend. That doesnt cancel out blackness...it's a thin smokescreen to mask the racist agenda behind her being fired.

No...you right not all Black folks are punished for being black because there are those who play that git low Sambo role to a T. For those that refuse to play that role believe we are penalized for it while other black folks stand on the sideline with the weebay face.
    #1hiphopjunki3
    where does anyone other than her say that this is the reason she was fired?
    tons of jobs have policies where you can lose your job for replying to anything kinds of social media posts where you are representing the company.
    VIBELurker6
  • YoungGoldieYoungGoldie AKA RAKEEM ALLAH Posts: 13,312 Regulator
    What was the policy that she broke tho, cuz this isnt any different from that fat news lady who went on air crying about people clowning her weight......
  • Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That nigga's message was polite as shit too.

I would've written:
    "That baldhead bitch is wack as fuck, y'all niggas lauced for putting that shit in front of a camera. How is she going to be bald with a boulder-shaped head?"
    Lurker6gnsMister B.SixSickSinsAfrica UnitedHyenaKillapurpngoldmiamivice305Cainrooster_cogburn
  • The ProdigalsonThe Prodigalson Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    she was being trolled..

dude trololololololed her right out of a job

if she was as confident in her appearance as she projects herself to be, she wouldn't need to respond to such foolishness, just continue being a fly baldheaded bitch with a bomb ass job and ignore the criticism

her insecurity is showing, she should tuck that shit in, its not cute

cheers-gif-ian-somerhalder-Favim.com-368502.gif

• caddo mancaddo man You cant @ me bro Posts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Du_Du wrote: »
    Mr.LV wrote: »

was it the same station?

Nope! and I just found some other post from dude. He is a troll for real.