Kendrick Lamar's "good kid, m.A.A.d. city" goes gold

Ear2ThaStEar2ThaSt Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
Kendrick Lamar earns a gold plaque only a few months after his album's release.

Kendrick Lamar has earned himself a gold plaque for his major label debut good kid, m.A.A.d city.

According to a press release, the album has been certified by gold for selling excess of 500,000 copies as of December 13th. The LP was originally released on October 22nd.

Upon release, good kid, m.A.A.d city bowed at No. 2 on the charts with an impressive 242,000 copies sold. It also debuted at No. 1 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.

The album has already spawned the singles "The Recipe" featuring Dr. Dre and "Swimming Pools (Drank)." The next single from the project will be "Poetic Justice" featuring Drake.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.22260/title.kendrick-lamars-good-kid-maad-city-certified-gold

not sure if anyone's already posted this, so my bad if someone did. either way, shout out to kendrick! TDE ya bish!
genocidecutternj2089FyHunnittwentyfivelightersBreezy_KilroyDMTxTHCidoitforhiphop10Bcotton5peagle05DNB1Wild SelfMR.CJLUClENCoolJoeMonizzle14Nah SonpurpngoldVIBE

Replies

• ocelotocelot Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The West is back ya bish!!!
    Busta Carmichael FyHunnitILL_AnversVIBE
  • _Menace__Menace_ 4 MOD West.Side.CaliforniaPosts: 25,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Probably my smartest and best purchase of 2012 (music wise)

#GKMC

"Gang Sings Out The Window YA BISH!"
    FyHunnitmoyo44Since88
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for K. Dot.
  • genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for him
  • southernmadesouthernmade Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, well deserved...
  • The_ManThe_Man Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my life is now complete
    VIBE
    Damn.... KRIT.... where you at bruh....

Yeah he's has to step it up on this next album in order to keep up.....he shouldn't limit his self to "country rap tunes"

moyo
  • FyHunnitFyHunnit I'm Mad Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Yeah he's has to step it up on this next album in order to keep up.....he shouldn't limit his self to "country rap tunes"

Whoa... Must i remind you? Krit have mixtapes thats seeing GKMC. His last album wasn't popping on the charts, but it was still above average. It wasn't his best project, but nothing to be concerned about.

hueyAggyAFCP203
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I B you K Dot!
  • coltoncolton Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to K. Dot
  • AggyAFAggyAF Queen fi England haffi love (half) yardie Zoo JerseyPosts: 26,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa... Must i remind you? Krit have mixtapes thats seeing GKMC. His last album wasn't popping on the charts, but it was still above average. It wasn't his best project, but nothing to be concerned about.

1308373211732.jpg

KRIT got 2 classic mixtapes but at the bolded, no.
    FyHunnit44Since88CJCP203
    edited December 2012

1308373211732.jpg

Okay, but you saying that because you lookin at an album to mixtape view.
    I'm talking song for song, ReturnOf4Eva is just as good as GKMC. Since you already know its one of those two classic mixtapes, how can you say "no" so easily?

Its all good tho.
    But this is still a good look for K.Dot, I brought 2 copies first day without playing the leak.
  • Breezy_KilroyBreezy_Kilroy Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how will this be looked at down the line when niggas are determining what's classic and what's not since sales have always been looked at as a determining factor. Regardless of sales I think GKMC will stand the test of time and eventually enter that "classic" realm. The word classic is tossed around way too much but I think this album will get there with the great ones. congrats to KDot
    FyHunnit
  • mike06mike06 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats....still bumpin the hell outta this album like it just came out
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    I wonder how will this be looked at down the line when niggas are determining what's classic and what's not since sales have always been looked at as a determining factor. Regardless of sales I think GKMC will stand the test of time and eventually enter that "classic" realm. The word classic is tossed around way too much but I think this album will get there with the great ones. congrats to KDot

i must've missed that memo if the music bumps hard sales to me have know reflection on if it's a classic or not
  • eternal soldiereternal soldier RESPECT YA JAW!! Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like when something becomes popular in Hip-Hop motherfuckers try to milk that same formula and this is something I wouldn't mind if individuals want to attempt to put more thought into their albums.
    Wild Selfmike06

I fuck with Krit heavy and you're right his album was above average but when people think of your album an all they can say is...."it's not better than his mixtapes" that's a problem.....return of 4eva should have been his major label debut, hell even Krit was Here is better than live from the underground....just sayin I don't want Krit to limit himself in following the foot steps of UGK and kast....imo he has the potential to be greater....
    Wild SelfFyHunnit
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fuck with Krit heavy and you're right his album was above average but when people think of your album an all they can say is...."it's not better than his mixtapes" that's a problem.....return of 4eva should have been his major label debut, hell even Krit was Here is better than live from the underground....just sayin I don't want Krit to limit himself in following the foot steps of UGK and kast....imo he has the potential to be greater....

I don't think he's following kast and UGK per se but it's just what he grew up on and the influence is in his music. I don't know if he's limiting himself or not or if he's just making the music he wants too. The mainstream isn't for everybody. Not to mention the album wasn't above average, and the music on Live From the underground wasn't up to his mixtape standards That's why you get the it's not better than his mixtapes comments. I kinda thought 4eva n a Day should have been the album. Perfect concept album for his debut. But still he has nor singles or anything to get him radio play. and no real club bangers. And when you on a major that's part of the program. Maybe he'll get some other production that will get him more exposure.
  • MR.CJMR.CJ Posts: 52,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if he can get janet jackson in the poetic justice video, this album is going platium
  • twentyfivelighterstwentyfivelighters Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

1308373211732.jpg

KRIT Wuz Here >> Section.80 > Return of 4eva > GKMC = 4Eva N a Day >>>>>>>> LFTU
    Ear2ThaSt
  • wu-tang4everwu-tang4ever Posts: 97 ✭✭
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    if he can get janet jackson in the poetic justice video, this album is going platium[/quote

This^