SMH Record Labels Caught using False Youtube Views to inflate videos........

rapmastermindrapmastermind Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
I knew this was happening. Labels are pathetic and getting deperate. 2012 will make the 1st year since the 1980's that a Rapper will not have sold 1 million copies in a calendar year. It seems labels are doing anything to try and show buzz even if that means faking "youtube" views. Well Youtube has struck back against fraud and called out these labels:

Google slashed the cumulative view counts on YouTube channels belonging to Universal Music Group, Sony/BMG, and RCA Records by more than 2 billion views Tuesday, a drastic winter cleanup that may be aimed at shutting down black hat view count-building techniques employed by a community of rogue view count manipulators on the video-sharing site. Universal's channel is the one that took the biggest hit. According to figures compiled by the YouTube statistics analysts at SocialBlade, the record company's YouTube channel lost more than 1 billion views from its preexisting tally of 7 billion views Tuesday.

Sony/BMG was the second largest sufferer, dropping more than 850 million views in one day, bringing its total number of views to a mere 2.3 million. RCA, which got off scot free by comparison, dipped 159 million views. Its tally now sits more modestly at 120 million views. In addition, each label's YouTube archives are now surprisingly thin. UMG, which had long held a heavy hand in YouTube operations, now only boasts five videos on its YouTube channel, none of which are actual songs—and none of which last more than 1:23. Sony's page, by comparison, is currently empty. The company did not respond to the Daily Dot's request for comment.

Other notable channels affected include the ones belonging to Michael Jackson, Chris Brown, Beyoncé, and Avril Lavigne, among others. More than 500 prominent YouTube channels have been stripped of preexisting YouTube views in the past 30 days, something that causes concern when you consider that YouTube views counts, unlike subscriber statistics, are cumulative and cannot organically drop at any point throughout their existence.

Google's takedown of these major music channels came on the same day that hundreds of YouTubers took to Google forums and their own YouTube channels to inform their peers that they'd been subject to a series of video takedowns for violations of YouTube's Terms of Service (TOS). Some speculated that the widespread video takedowns were caused by a technical error, but YouTube confirmed that the users violated TOS item 4, Section H, which bans automated methods of inflating view counts.

"This was not a bug or a security breach. This was an enforcement of our viewcount policy," wrote a Google representative on the forums. The apparent crackdown on fake views became a major talking point Wednesday on Black Hat World, a forum where users trade tips about unethical search engine optimization tactics. The thread's first post alluded to a friend of the poster who "sells likes" and was recently told by four different customers that their videos "got deleted due to TOS violation." "Now I also got a message from a customer who ordered views from me that his video was removed," the individual wrote, sparking a six page conversation that continues on to this moment—and mentions Universal Music Group throughout.

"I spoke with some people on Skype and 2-3 more have the same problems with videos being removed for fake views," the original poster added in a later post. "Likes are from YLH (YouLikeHits) and AddMeFast and views from ViralSocial in my case." Later in the thread, the conversation turned towards an individual known in some online circles as Tapangoldy, a 16-year-old seller of YouTube views who is prominent on the cheap favors website Fiverr and claimed last month to have already raised $60,000 through the site. Recently, he closed up shop for a few days "to fix all issue thanks."

Tapangoldy, who among other things had offered YouTubers an excess of 10,700 new views to any video of their choosing for $5, held a 98 percent "Gig Rating" before becoming inundated with negative reviews on Wednesday, most of which painted him as a fraud who uses bots to accrue YouTube views. Although Tapangoldy seems to be one of the top-rated sellers of YouTube views, he isn’t the only Fiverr user whose business has been affected. One Black Hat World user wrote, “I'm just having great fun watching the Fiverr bloodbath. Most the top rated gigs for views are either paused or being flooded with bad reviews.”

How closely is Tapangoldy tied to Universal, Sony, and RCA? It's something we can't presently confirm. The Daily Dot has been unable to contact him during his temporary exile, and he could have nothing to do with the labels’ overnight YouTube collapse. But Tapangoldy's sudden change in fortune comes at an interesting time considering all of the preexisting elements, their pertinence to the major label music structure or otherwise.

UPDATE: Universal acknowledged the sudden drop in views, and told the Daily Dot that the Universal Music Group channel, though popular, has been mostly dormant since the company shifted its focus to individual channels hosted on Vevo, which Universal founded in conjunction with Sony Music, Abu Dhabi Media Company, and E1 Entertainment in 2009.

R.I.P. Record Industry. It's getting Pathetic.
Disciplined InSighthueyAlready Home_17purpngoldblackdemoKing Lee ROZAYTABERNACLEGaryDeanoJudah BackFy_HunnitMzWild Selfloch121idoitforhiphop10dwade206spit_fiyaTonyDubbzRubato Garciaeternal soldierMonizzle14almighty breezeYoung_ChitlinAristo_V300Valentinez A. KaisertwentyfivelightersWiseGuyyDMTxTHC

Replies

• poindexter2poindexter2 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told niggas on here the labels were doing this shit, especially the so called "unsigned" acts who magically get a buzz overnight. I hope youtube continues to crack down on this shit. I like how industry cats always talking about fake followers+fake fans+fake downloads=fake movement, but do the same shit lol.
    Wild Selfloch121Ms. Sweeetface
  • blackdemoblackdemo Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Damn thats crazy man, I beleive Cheif keefs and ASAPs though because people were really drawn into their music n what not, but alot of rappers be gttin like 10,000 view in one day n shit n I always wondered how they did that. I mean i knew people bought views but the "Big dogs" buying views? thats corny because theyre supposed to be the best, theyre suppose to be what everyone is looking up to, and now they just got exposed
    Already Home_17idoitforhiphop1032DaysOfInfiniti
  • King Lee King Lee The Danger ZonePosts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    Deez labels lost
  • can'tyoutellcan'tyoutell Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm, I remember checking soulja boy's molly views and it was up at 500k. now it's down to 100k.
    T. Sanford32DaysOfInfinitiBusta Carmichael Ms. Sweeetface
  • riddlerapriddlerap G Unit 4 Life 50's MansionPosts: 14,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaas wrote: »
    r.i.p 50 cent

nosign.
    idoitforhiphop10almighty breezeROZAYTABERNACLECutler 26 INT's LOL!
  • SneakDZASneakDZA Just a guy Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sony/BMG was the second largest sufferer, dropping more than 850 million views in one day, bringing its total number of views to a mere 2.3 million."

daaaaaaamn! How do you go from almost 1 billion down to 2.3 million. that had to hurt

you might want to re-check your figures there.
    The Recipe
  • T. SanfordT. Sanford An Advocate Member Of Trill Family aka Legion Of Trill Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm, I remember checking soulja boy's molly views and it was up at 500k. now it's down to 100k.

how that shss happen?

400k people deleted their accounts or something lol
    Busta Carmichael
  • rapmusicrapmusic Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not shocking. I mean how else can you explain all these unknowns going viral then they get a deal off it? I don't know why they don't realize that a million YouTube views will not equal a million album sales. I can watch YouTube for free but I have to pay for albums. I don't think so
    purpngoldidoitforhiphop10
  • T. SanfordT. Sanford An Advocate Member Of Trill Family aka Legion Of Trill Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shtoopid wrote: »
    niggas been buying youtube views, twitter followers, and facebook likes. the same ones that were buying myspace friends 10 years ago.

@ bolded, these some fake ass niggas out here bruh

I wouldnt be surprised if majority of my fb friends doing that

people are sheeps nowadays
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If things went the way of how they SHOULD go, the rap industry would have went down years ago. Inflating youtube views and buying albums from famous artists is the only thing that is preventing rap from being completely irrelevant. The illusion is fading and we gonna see in 2013 that rap is no longer the mainstream's choice.

Now what? The number of pop stars compared to the early 00s is down to the single digits. Rock music is dead. Rap is dead. pop music is on the ropes. Industry is gonna go down.
    Fy_HunnitMz
  • A1000MILESA1000MILES Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ In America...The way y'all talk, you'd think Americans the only mofuckas that make music...Albums are selling fine in other countries, like it was the 90's...And een over here, Country Music sells like crack...
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say even though nothing surprises me this kind of did.

That fake views and followers shit is pointless.Any real insider or person can see MC trap boy who you never heard of shouldn't have 70,000 followers and 11,000 views on a video that just dropped a week ago.

I admit back in the myspace era I let my cousin talk me into getting some fake friends.Shit was pointless

They got a thing called fakerstatus that shows you who's faking on twitter.It's some niggas living foul.They be tweeting to fake bot followers acting like they're buzzing.

The fact that majors are buying views says a lot.it kind of makes me not feel as bad when some things i do don't get numbers.Going viral has to do with paying the right ppl a lot of the time or just knowing them. And why get fake followers when they could get interns to just keep watching it allday?I guess because it's easier
    bigstevie
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    blackdemo wrote: »
    Damn thats crazy man, I beleive Cheif keefs and ASAPs though because people were really drawn into their music n what not, but alot of rappers be gttin like 10,000 view in one day n shit n I always wondered how they did that. I mean i knew people bought views but the "Big dogs" buying views? thats corny because theyre supposed to be the best, theyre suppose to be what everyone is looking up to, and now they just got exposed

EMBEDING!!!!!!!!!

you can get 10k just off embeding your video on fb!! ... you gotta do some work tho like posting your video on all of your friends pages ... and constantly post it in the news feed ... if you got 5k friends on facebook and can embed that on every pages thats an easy 5k views right there .... also you can use google adsence to promote your youtube video ... i did this one myself and gain 4k views .... however these are legal ways of doing it ... its what you call virtual advertising .... ;)

• GSonIIGSonII Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    This should not be a surprise to anyone.
    edited December 2012
    Sony/BMG def took a hit ... but if you got 200million and are still left in the 100million who cares if you had an extra 100million views ?? ... now if you drop down to zero or below 1,000 then thats really saying something ...... everybody does some bit of ADVERTISING or PUSHING the consumer to buy thier products and services ...........
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Its a shame they build the barrier of entry so high for indy artists when in reality its not even there... Im glad stories like this shed some light on the workings on the industry.

Next they need to do a expose on how labels like Universal's Cash Money buy 500k copies out the gate to ensure a platinum plaque...
    Wild Self
    Its a shame they build the barrier of entry so high for indy artists when in reality its not even there... Im glad stories like this shed some light on the workings on the industry.

Next they need to do a expose on how labels Universal's Cash Money buy 500k copies out the gate to ensure a platinum plaque...

aint no label buying 500k copies ... lol ... but they do buy copies for promotional use ... technically 85% of the albums produced are sold ... the other 15% are for promotion use ... ie for djz, buttering up contacts, employee copies etc........
    32DaysOfInfiniti
  • can'tyoutellcan'tyoutell Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, I remember when I was young I wanted to be a rapper to be rich and famous. Half the rappers these days aren't rich or famous. Every time I think about getting back into it, i think "for what?" The industry has changed so much from even the early 2000's.
    aladdin1978