Why do we try to prevent suicide?

LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion LovaBabylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
This does not make sense to me, this practice of trying to keep people alive who do not want to be alive. If they want to die they should be allowed to. What kind of life are you really living if the only reason you're living it is because someone close to you guilted you into it?

Overpopulation is already something some people fear. If we stopped preventing suicides it would be less of a threat.

There already exist many humane ways for people to commit suicide.


Why prevent someone from doing what they want?
PicoSleepwalkingInJapanTonyDubbzLincoln
«1345

Replies

  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion Lova Babylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    It seems like selfishness on the part of those trying to prevent suicidal people from committing that.

    "Oh, i'm going to miss you too much so fuck what you want stay alive to keep me happy"
    Or in your case

    Some people say it is selfish to commit suicide. Seems even more selfish to expect someone to stay alive when they don't want to.
    BiblicalAtheist
  • Life has no easy outs. Killing yourself is simply saying I give up. Now it's different if you are in chronic pain or terminally ill, but killing yourself because you are depressed and aren't coping properly with your depression is not an excuse to take the easy way out.

    Anyway many people are not "guilted" into staying alive. It's the fact that they cannot imagine inflicting that sort of pain onto their family members. That's not about guilt.

    No one can prevent someone from committing suicide, but we can let them know there are better ways of living.
    goldenjaDisciplined InSightblacktux
  • CeLLaR-DooRCeLLaR-DooR Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my closest and oldest friends killed himself on Saturday...He seemed cool to me...But, like I keep tellin' e'rybody, only one person knows what's truly goin' on in a person's head...

    If he'd told me he was gonna do it, I would have spoken to him about both sides...perks of livin' and the perks of dyin'..
    LUClENYoung Stef
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But in all seriousness I agree, if someone wants off the planet so bad they got the balls to take themselves out, who am I to say "no fuck you, you must live in misery!!". But sometimes people just got shit mixed up in their head, thinkin they want to die, but really just don't have any skills/tools to deal with shit. And if people fuck up so bad the only end they see is they end, meh.
    LUClEN
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what if someone gives up and commits that?
    LUClEN
  • mryounggunmryounggun Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kids kill themselves all the time over petty shit that seems important to them at the time but is meaningless a year later. We should just be like 'Alright Bobby. You're right. John keeps calling you a faggot at school. Go ahead and put the gun in your mouth and hop in the bullet train!'?
    BetaYoung Stef(Nope)
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion Lova Babylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grumpycat wrote: »
    Life has no easy outs.
    grumpycat wrote: »
    killing yourself because you are depressed and aren't coping properly with your depression is not an excuse to take the easy way out.

    Fix your logic and come back. You contradicted yourself. There are no easy outs, yet suicide is an easy out?

    grumpycat not thinking people should be allowed to commit suicide is a bad argument
    KeepOnPushing
  • hautehaute Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more than likely the whole severe mental illness thing
    LUClENRubato GarciaSneakDZAYoung Stef
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humans have great potential... We r a miracle... All human life is precious...
    BiblicalAtheist LUClENdwade206Young Stef
  • Killing yourself is extremely hard to do. A person who does this does not make any split decision.... They take the pros and cons of it and they research how to do it correctly.
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion Lova Babylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Kids kill themselves all the time over petty shit that seems important to them at the time but is meaningless a year later. We should just be like 'Alright Bobby. You're right. John keeps calling you a faggot at school. Go ahead and put the gun in your mouth and hop in the bullet train!'?

    If he wants to why not?
    He is not obligated to be alive. He owes nobody nothing - he's not bound by contract to stay alive.

    You do not ask anyone to be alive, so if you don't like life it only makes sense you can peace out without hassle.
    fuc_i_look_like
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion Lova Babylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haute wrote: »
    more than likely the whole severe mental illness thing

    i have a weak psych knowledge.. but are all suicides mental illness based or can sane people commit that too?
    If it's the first one you might have shitted on my argument :-/


    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Humans have great potential... We r a miracle... All human life is precious...

    Even Hitler?
  • grumpycatgrumpycat Posts: 519
    edited December 2012
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    grumpycat wrote: »
    Life has no easy outs.
    grumpycat wrote: »
    killing yourself because you are depressed and aren't coping properly with your depression is not an excuse to take the easy way out.

    Fix your logic and come back. You contradicted yourself. There are no easy outs, yet suicide is an easy out?

    grumpycat not thinking people should be allowed to commit suicide is a bad argument

    Oh I believe that people should be able to commit suicide. People are already allowed to commit suicide. But morally I think it's only valid in cases where people are terminally or chronically ill. What are they gonna do if you do it? Arrest you? No....

    And I know they did that to Kevorkian, but I'm talking the actual person who commits. I dunno about you, but if you have ever contemplated or tried suicide, then you might have different thoughts on this subject.
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    more than likely the whole severe mental illness thing

    i have a weak psych knowledge.. but are all suicides mental illness based or can sane people commit that too?
    If it's the first one you might have shitted on my argument :-/


    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Humans have great potential... We r a miracle... All human life is precious...

    Even Hitler?

    I'm too paranoid to answer that...
    A1000MILES
  • RodrigueZz wrote: »
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    haute wrote: »
    more than likely the whole severe mental illness thing

    i have a weak psych knowledge.. but are all suicides mental illness based or can sane people commit that too?
    If it's the first one you might have shitted on my argument :-/


    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Humans have great potential... We r a miracle... All human life is precious...

    Even Hitler?
    Using extremes to prove your argument is poor arguing.
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But is it mental illness for someone to think there is nothing on this planet keeping them here? Why do others gotta be telling them things they should find happiness in?
  • SleepwalkingInJapanSleepwalkingInJapan Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9/10 its not about the suicidal idiot...

    its about the "hero" who wants/gets a pat on the back for saving a life

    1326225355.jpg
    grumpycatLUClENrip.dilladwade206Valentinez A. Kaiser
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion Lova Babylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    He made an absolute statement. If an extreme disproves its absoluteness then it forces him to reformulate his original argument thus progressing the debate further towards a more accurate answer.

    Absolutes are rare so if you are going to make one it should be accurate.

    Also i wasn't proving a point with an extreme - merely testing the strength of his statement with one.
    BiblicalAtheist
  • .IRS. wrote: »
    But is it mental illness for someone to think there is nothing on this planet keeping them here? Why do others gotta be telling them things they should find happiness in?

    Usually yes it is. If others aren't telling the person there are things there, then there probably isn't anything there for the person to have happiness in, then there is a real reason to commit suicide I suppose.
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist. Logician. Champion Lova Babylon Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    What objective measure to we have to determine whether or not someone's reason for suicide is "real" ?

    Seems like most movie/tv type of suicide interventions are based on subjective reasoning, usually at the discretion of the intervening party.
  • grumpycatgrumpycat Posts: 519
    edited December 2012
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    He made an absolute statement. If an extreme disproves its absoluteness then it forces him to reformulate his original argument thus progressing the debate further towards a more accurate answer.

    Absolutes are rare so if you are going to make one it should be accurate.

    Also i wasn't proving a point with an extreme - merely testing the strength of his statement with one.

    You used an extreme--Hitler is considered by many one of the most evil people who have ever lived.

    You also tend to think you know a lot about mental illness because you took Psyc 101.
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grumpycat wrote: »
    .IRS. wrote: »
    But is it mental illness for someone to think there is nothing on this planet keeping them here? Why do others gotta be telling them things they should find happiness in?

    Usually yes it is. If others aren't telling the person there are things there, then there probably isn't anything there for the person to have happiness in, then there is a real reason to commit suicide I suppose.
    It only seems like mental illness when someone finds no happiness in anything on the planet because it goes against the quo.
    LUClENblacktux
  • Matt-Matt- Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Will MunnyWill Munny I eat pussy on the 1st date. Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    compassion is in some people's nature.
    LUClEN
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.