What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

It's crazy how Jay's the only NY rapper that never fell off

PervisPervis Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in The Reason
Even though I'm not a fan, I have to admire Jay's longevity. i can't think of a single ny rapper from the 90's that was really able to stand the test of time like Jay has. There's no shame in falling off; nothing lasts forever. But everyone else that came up in Hov's era fell off. Jay has stayed relevant and still selling a lot of records after 16 YEARS in the game. Damn. All the other NY dudes eventually drowned. Are there any rappers from the 90's that was really able to stand the test of time like Jay has? i can't think of any.

nas - can't even get a gold certification now. last album that went plat was streets disciple. that came out nearly a decade ago. fell off.
50 cent - irrelevant since 2007. singles flopped. so did his dvds, games, clothes, sneakers, and whatever the fuck else he tries to sell. threw everything at ross and had ZERO effect. lost multiples beefs and battles to artists such as d-block, game, fat joe and now even ross. fell off hard. no-one really cares anymore.
ja rule - fell off even harder. aint been the same since 04 after NY turned their backs on him when he needed support. now in jail.
jadakiss - one of my fav rappers but his sales declined. 3 albums in 10 years? smarten up kiss
dmx - in his prime (98-99) X was easily as good as jay n nas. the crack ruined a great talent. fell off.
camron another 1 of my fav rappers but aint sold shit since crime pays. fell off.
busta rhymes - aint been relevant shit since touch it. fell off.
ghost and raekwon - aint really relevant. they might release good music but their sales are poor.
mobb deep - big mobb fan but they fell off too.

i know theres many more but i'll leave it there. i guess i just have to give jay his credit. no one else done it as big for as long. his business acumen is unrivalled.

Jay-Z%20Talks%20Watch%20the%20Throne%20Album,%20Illuminati%20Rumors%20and%20Success.jpg
runningwolf1980genocidecutterKing Lee _Goldie_sapp08_2001Disciplined InSighthuey2 DrawlzFyHunnitCoolJoeIgot5onitaladdin1978UrbanScribeSolitary SoldierB_Amanofmorehouserip.dillaMrCrookedLettertexasdaking88illedoutAjackson17sTaY_TrUeBodhiBusta Carmichael TheBoyRoTheRicanKingD.D.S.SionohhhlaSleepwalkingInJapanBK ProductBookwormunspoken_respectfocusnawledge_godThehighmaster

Replies

• a_lista_list Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anti-ny thread.... this should be good!
    I can recall the days, juvenile crime pays
    14 years old, shorty from round way
    brick ass cold, still pump from night to day
    but why did my life have to be this way
    I rock Velour suits, flavors like mixed fruits
    my loot get recouped razors in my suit
    incase they try to troop me to the island
    I known to start whylin back in New York, my soldiers got the cash pilin
    peep this on some nose and teef shit
    so much drama, who the fuck knows who we got beef wit
    LUClENhaute
  • MrCrookedLetterMrCrookedLetter Unless You Play Smart, Follow Your Mind Also Your Heart, The Perfect Balance Posts: 22,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be funny
    420337_10151312942875197_1250633177_n.jpg

2012 Reason Thread Creator of The Year (Tied)
    2013 Reason Thread Creator of The Year (Tied)
    2014 Reason Thread Creator of The Year

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -Albert Einstein
    genocidecutterhaute
  • spit_fiyaspit_fiya Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what happens when you have so many dickriders
    genocidecutterlookdudealaddin1978
  • The_ManThe_Man Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fuck record sales its the talent that counts, and jays main talent lately is jumping on kanyes back getting an easy ride, jay is one of the greatest but lately it seems like his main focus is making money and sucking your presidents dick while kanye makes the hits.
    Ajackson17CitySojourner
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 38,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is Jay jumping on Ye's back when Jay is a bigger artist sales wise. If anything Jay stuck his neck out for Ye when the world was shitting on Ye for Taylor Swift.
    banksy-gifs-graffiti.gif
    I believe in L.O.V.E.......Lots Of Vagina Ev[/b]eryday.
    Muhannadits....JOHN Brip.dillaDisciplined InSightTrollio DNB1MrCrookedLetterAjackson17nj2089alibabaqawshunTheRicanKingRealHipHopSucks93CP203CitySojournernawledge_god
    Lol at AG being five years ago, but Yall count BP3 against him . Selective haters
    banksy-gifs-graffiti.gif
    Muhannadrip.dillaboss jaymiamivice305Ajackson17focus
  • qtipp73qtipp73 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    niggas mad cuz good NY rappers still care about lyrics over club bullshit music. yall can have all that lean wit it type garbage. I will take lyrics and NY sounding production over that shit anytime.
    tumblr_m9q781XZMs1rwnvfpo1_500.gif
    illedoutTayJone
  • The_ManThe_Man Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yall gon act like Jay wasn't spitting on WTT

yeah jay did good on that album im just in a bad mood lol

PiffyHazeilledoutalmighty breeze
    The reason why jay has been more successful than them washed 90s niggas is because he switched up hid sound and never limited himself to dusty boom nap back packers. Niggas likeNas marginalized their audience and pigeonholed themselves. That's why when Nas makes singles with Chris Brown, Kerry Hilson,etc itdoesnt work.
    banksy-gifs-graffiti.gif
    rip.dillaDisciplined InSight32DaysOfInfinitiAjackson17Valentinez A. KaiserThehighmaster
  • Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    How is Jay jumping on Ye's back when Jay is a bigger artist sales wise. If anything Jay stuck his neck out for Ye when the world was shitting on Ye for Taylor Swift.

Jay has gone stale music wise thats why he needs kanye, would the blueprint be a classic if kanye, just blaze, and bink wasnt involved? fuck no, jay is a public relations tool for your president these days, dressing up in tuxidos going to gay functions just to help the rich get richer.

fixed
    genocidecutter
  • Reggie80Reggie80 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah jay did ok but Jay one of the best so he ain't gone never put out no complete garbage(except blueprint 3)but you figure them 2 putting out a album it should of been some of the best shit I ever heard and it's not even considered a classic album.
    Bitch shut your mouth before I fuck it

I'm still a rap fan, microphone fiend
    An insider like Russell Crowe, behind the scenes
    You can be the hottest MC, literally leave the mic smoking
    No marketing and promotion
    No 106 & Park, no TRL
    Don't kill the messenger homey but don't expect to sell
    Viacom own MTV, VH1
    BET, five labels until BMG
    Merged with Sony, EMI, Universal and WEA
    Only four labels in the music industry bruh
    All radio controlled by two companies
    Just two rap magazines, read between the lines
    Hip-hop used to be the expression of struggle with rhymes
    Corporate monopolized, only certain shit shines
    Only way to get radio and video and blow
    They control what you say, and the images you show
    CNN owned by AOL, own Time Warner
    Trickle down effect of the New World Order
    And you wonder why "Van Gogh" was killed
    Same reason Dead Prez lost they deal, get real
    I spit for the cabbage, grind with a mission
    And put Capitol Records in missionary positions
    Used to love H.E.R. like Common, but then you get signed
    (Behind the Music) now I just fuck the music from behind

Magazine writers misprint you, take words out of context
    And got the nerve to wonder why I'm vexed
    When I read the publication
    I was like "Damn, was we in the same conversation?"
    This for the rap conniseurs, magazine critics
    Backpackers, rap stars with bullshit gimmicks
    Fans, even the "Stans," the groupies and label executives
    With corporate cards trickin my budget on coochie
    Video chicks sucking dick between takes
    Hoping to get saved, and thanks for the ass shake
    Like Dave Chappelle in "Half Baked," need a backyotomy
    And some of these thugs is into sodomy
    Large print giveth, fine print taketh away
    Your favorite rapper ain't recoup label take it away
    Have a nigga tempted to take an AK, goin postal
    Rap made me loco, hustle bicoastal
    (Why?) Because the West monopolize
    Same ol' niggas tellin the same ol' lies
    L.A. radio, quick to suck out of town dick
    South support they own create international hits
    Out of regional records, East coast create the buzz
    Music capitol of the world, thought it wasn't when it was
    And somehow manage to screw us
    Call West coast gangster rap whack, then sold it back to us...
    rip.dillaAyo Hoodie
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was smart enough to understand how the music "business" operates. And as far as still goin strong out there still on the radio and still widely heard by the people, he's the man. I aint stupid or lame enough to be a region hatin loser, just true.Those other Ny rappers aint heard. Unless you wanna search hard. But he is actually still popular.
  • genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Popularity wise-no
    Musically-yes
    Gives us back images in sigs
    rip.dillaDisciplined InSightsapp08_2001