What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

PEOPLE THAT WORK OUT ON THE REGULAR.. HOW DID YOU CHANGE YOUR DIET?

Replies

• UniversalmindstateUniversalmindstate Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    kai_valya wrote: »
    well since i have that crazy african metabolism, i never really changed my diet. i actually need to eat more, but i can never do it. and my diet was already healthy to begin with. i also cook at home and from scratch a lot and that way i can control what goes into my food as well as portions.

peanut butter is my go to if i want some quick calories, i take a spoon to the jar

Your eating habit sounds good, but watch out for the sugary peanut butter, which contain preservative too...depending on how much you consume. You can get all natural from certain health store.
    edited January 2013
    banana peanut butter milkshakes and homemade yogurt w/ apple,raisin,oatmeal,carrots are the truth

Sounds interesting, maybe I'll try it.
    HAF BAYKED wrote: »
    darkone360 wrote: »
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    darkone360 wrote: »
    Sticking to a strict diet is too much work. Hell, it's just like work. My goal is to bulk up a lil, but not like a bodybuilder type. Just enough to be slighty bigger.

Go heavier on your free weights. Add 5 lbs every week or so.

1CE0B7D8-4F05-40EA-AF4B-8B1A7B7B40CF-700-0000010A54188ECE.jpg

Never been a fan of bench pressin, but I started a couple of months ago. That's how much I'm up to now. Takin my time to hit that 200 mark.

a couple months???....i gotta be doing this shit wrong....when i first started i couldnt get off 135 to save my life lol....even now when i move up, it takes at least 2 wks to go up again...sometimes longer if i skipped a few days...but your comment about not being a fan of the bench got me wondering, b/c there's some guys in the gym i talk to that dont bench press....ya'll just use the chest press machines or what?

Use lighter weights if you want to tone yourself. And heavier weights if you want to bulk up with out tone and cuts.
    edited January 2013
    DexterBorg wrote: »
    i just skip breakfast 1.gif

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I guess it recharges your energy, allowing you to function and to think clearer.
    -First, figure out your currently maintenance calories. (how many cals you can take in on a regular and not gain or lose weight)
    -Second, shave 10-20% off of that, depending on how aggressive of a fat cut you're planning
    -Third, plan out your macro nutrient needs. (protein and fats needed, then play with carbs numbers to determine total cals you can eat)
    -Last, execute your plan and stick to that shit.

EDIT: post was longer, but nah deleted it....the above is the main point.

You're right bro, but most food companies aren't accurate when listing ingredients/calories. So, it can be a little difficult to balance proper intake of calories,etc.
    sully wrote: »
    gif-fat-people-food-tummy-408646.gif

Either that or to burp out the gasses.
  • leftcoastkevleftcoastkev .....but anything else...Not My Job Beaches and Bridges, CAPosts: 6,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    -First, figure out your currently maintenance calories. (how many cals you can take in on a regular and not gain or lose weight)
    -Second, shave 10-20% off of that, depending on how aggressive of a fat cut you're planning
    -Third, plan out your macro nutrient needs. (protein and fats needed, then play with carbs numbers to determine total cals you can eat)
    -Last, execute your plan and stick to that shit.

EDIT: post was longer, but nah deleted it....the above is the main point.

You're right bro, but most food companies aren't accurate when listing ingredients/calories. So, it can be a little difficult to balance proper intake of calories,etc.

Sometimes, it's a little off. But usually not that bad. Not enough to disband the concept. Eating from restaurants is usually the gray area, but it's doable in moderation, once you have a good eye for estimating.

I used to use an excel spreadsheet to track all that stuff, but now I just use the MyFitnessPal app on my iPhone. I just scan UPC codes on packages/boxes, make sure the food weighs out correctly per serving sizes (or pick a good estimate) and be done with it.

Losing fat is not hard if you break everything down like that. It takes the guesswork out of things. One of the caveats is making sure you ease into things and not screw up your metabolism by dropping carbs and calories too low.

My plan was to take 8 weeks out and drop 12 lbs and see what I look like. I've drop 7 in the past 5 weeks. I eat whatever...chicken and waffles, steak, crab, lobster, etc. The preparation style is everything. It all breaks down to carbs, protein, and fats once it enters your body. There aren't many "unheathy" foods, just ways to make meals "unhealthy for" you and unheathy food habits.
    (i.e., using too much grease/butter ( fat ), using too much sugar ( to many carbs than you'll need ), drinking a large amount calories in conjunction with eating ( sodas + food can put you over maintenance, but water + food is viola I'm losing weight.......well, because your taking in less overall calories ).

Ghetto edit: If you can eyeball dr*g measurements, you can pick up roughly eyeballing food measurements down to the gram. It's not hard with time.
    edited January 2013
    Sounds like most people are in half shape, which is better than fully out of shape...to me.

My main issue is my stomach, don't matter what I eat or how little I eat, it makes my stomach bloated, I may have an issue.

Only time I'm forced to eat fast food is in an emergency situation like traveling on the road for long distance.

Cold meats like subway or grocery stores consist of (sodium nitrite) which, under certain conditions in the human body, nitrite can damage cells and also morph into molecules that cause cancer.

McDonald's meats are bleached to kill bacterial along with to retain a consistent flavour. I heard at one point, maybe still....Taco Bell used dusting agent in their meat...not good at all.

The best thing to do is to avoid artificial foods as much as possible, but you know, even healthy foods have unhealthy elements to them too...can't escape the poisonous foods.
  • leftcoastkevleftcoastkev .....but anything else...Not My Job Beaches and Bridges, CAPosts: 6,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013

My main issue is my stomach, don't matter what I eat or how little I eat, it makes my stomach bloated, I may have an issue.

My stomach used to be bloated, it used to growl all the damn time. I just assumed I had a couple of food allergies.

Over time what I did was:
    - Drop as many wheat products as possible
    - Shop for gluten free and lactose free products
    - Cut out as much dairy as possible

When I first started doing this stuff I was a noob hopping on the bandwagon like everybody else listening to the stuff like "eat whole grains, don't eat white rice" and all of that. I stayed feeling like sh*t eating "healthy". Now, I eat white bread / jazmine or white rice, I don't mess with whole wheat, brown rice, or wheat anything. For fiber, I eat veggies. My stomach only bloats up if I eat too much and eat pizza (large amount of cheese --> lactose), but that's expected. Wheat is in most things however, it's not possible to totally cut it out, but minimizing it as much as possible went a long way, for me.

Even protein shakes, there are only a couple that work for me without messing with my stomach. Syntrax Micellar Casein and IsoPure Zero Carb Whey. I've f**ked with ON, Dymatize, and all those other brands and they all bloat and mess with my stomach. Those 2 are gluten free and lactose free. I believe the lactose in the other brands would screw me up.

edited January 2013
    @ leftcoastkev: It makes a lot of sense what your saying, now that you put it in that perspective.

For some reason it wouldn't allow me to quote under your post. So hopefully, you'll not receive to many repeated post later.
    edited January 2013

My stomach used to be bloated, it used to growl all the damn time. I just assumed I had a couple of food allergies.

Over time what I did was:
    - Drop as many wheat products as possible
    - Shop for gluten free and lactose free products
    - Cut out as much dairy as possible

When I first started doing this stuff I was a noob hopping on the bandwagon like everybody else listening to the stuff like "eat whole grains, don't eat white rice" and all of that. I stayed feeling like sh*t eating "healthy". Now, I eat white bread / jazmine or white rice, I don't mess with whole wheat, brown rice, or wheat anything. For fiber, I eat veggies. My stomach only bloats up if I eat too much and eat pizza (large amount of cheese --> lactose), but that's expected. Wheat is in most things however, it's not possible to totally cut it out, but minimizing it as much as possible went a long way, for me.

Even protein shakes, there are only a couple that work for me without messing with my stomach. Syntrax Micellar Casein and IsoPure Zero Carb Whey. I've f**ked with ON, Dymatize, and all those other brands and they all bloat and mess with my stomach. Those 2 are gluten free and lactose free. I believe the lactose in the other brands would screw me up.

That sounds about right. Someone made the same suggestion to me that gluten might be one of my enemies, so now that you mentioned also, along with other valuable advice, I'm going to look further into this matter.

Thanks bro!
  • VIBEVIBE Posts: 53,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eating healthier is a huge change, it's a mindset you need to get with. You need to prepare yourself more for it.

Healthy foods are not "boring", I just ate some tilapia with a mango salsa, brown rice and broccoli.

Shit was delicious as fuck.

If you're eating boring, then you aren't being very creative with your foods.

It's expensive, yes, but in the long run, it's better for your body. Hospital, doctor and med bills rack up to more than what you're spending on healthy foods.
    Dirty Sanchez
  • VIBEVIBE Posts: 53,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This healthy shit drives me crazy though, there's so much "don't do this, do this" kind of shit.
    Kat
    edited January 2013
    VIBE wrote: »
    This healthy shit drives me crazy though, there's so much "don't do this, do this" kind of shit.

That's because every body is different. None of this stuff is 100% spot on to work guraunteed for every person other than dedication to your protocol(s) of choice.

Gather all the information, figure out which things work for you through trial and error, keep those things and toss the rest.

That sounds about right. Someone made the same suggestion to me that gluten might be one of my enemies, so now that you mentioned also, along with other valuable advice, I'm going to look further into this matter.

Thanks bro!

Could be. No prob.
    Universalmindstate
  • KeepOnPushingKeepOnPushing Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i try to Burn 1,000+ every run....and i still do other Activities outside of that.

for the most part i still eat what i want.
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 26,506 Regulator
    edited January 2013
    My weakness is fried food. If I had it my way, I'd eat 95% of my meals fried. Terrible I know and it was a hard habit to break out of but I did it over time. Also I cut out sodas by simply drinking healthier drinks the same flavors of the sodas I loved. I've always been in shape, but my eating habits were horrible. I drank 2-3 orange soda's a day on some real life Kel Mitchell shit for about 7-8 years lol. So I just started finding orange and pineapple flavored healthier drinks. How I didn't break out with acne in high school is fucking amazing. But in college I started baking more of my food and I'd eat fried food only as a reward to myself for something. Then it got to the point where I didn't even crave fried foods at all unless it was specific things, I still prefer and will fry fish most of the time. It's my one vice I can't get rid of. Luckily though because I've always been very active and made it a point to exercise even in high school I've never gotten anywhere close to being overweight.
    edited January 2013
    ^^^^

Rocky The Range Chicken Breaded Tenders (costco). <- 5 strips 300 cals, only 8g fat
    Eggo Low Fat Waffles. <- 3 waffles 180 cals, only 4g fat
    Walden Farms Calorie Free Pancake Syrup.

Alexia Julienne - All Natural Sweet Potato Fries <- 3oz 140 cals, 5g fat
    ........good stuff to keep your sanity if you're cutting.

The main thing to track is the sodium and cholesterol, per your health.

But yeah, if you wanna go all Popeye's then 1 chicken breast or 5 strips is like 22-26g of fat in alone, and the seasoned fries will be another 20g fat I believe, let alone the 2000mg+ sodium in it. That's how people blow up into fat ass-dom and bad heart health. It's how you go about it more than anything.

I eat fried foods relatively often, and still cut weight. Fried food = extra flour (carbs) and oil (fats) on the food. You don't have to overdo it, to enjoy it. There's alway's Mrs Dash salt-free seasonings too if you wanna season without as much sodium.

blackrainKing Erauno
  • BigBallsNoWorriesBigBallsNoWorries Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its easier said than done for a lot of ppl

But for me with my advanced metabolism I can eat damn near anything a real nigga wants

I tend to stay away from fried shit, fried chicken, fried any thing, I only eat fast food at wrk and only becuz their salads can't hold through out the day

I havent drank soda in 4-5 yrs

I also box, and have been for 4-5 yrs

And I've never ever been overwt, even bitches r like why r u so skinny (even tho those bitches don't kno the difference between skinny and lean)

They said most of my wt must b between my legs lol

I'm like that's what god blessed
    Me wit Bitch

Holla when u want to get baptized
    You Down to Travel?

I've been International since I was 16

Listen to my thoughts on traveling while black throughout europe, my thoughts on traveling in general and my experiences crazy/interesting stories

at my Travel Blog right here

htttp://www.travelis4life.wordpress.com
    Lady_ZeePeeny_Wally
  • Blank_SinatraBlank_Sinatra Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like DoUwantToGoToHeaven said, it's a matter of protein intake (a gram per pound of body weight) and also carbohydrate intake, because carbs (good carbs like Brown Rice & Sweet Potatoes) are fuel for the body.

If you cannot reach your daily required protein intake, which would be next to impossible anyway, then you supplement.

I use low carb whey protein, skip all that "mass" bulking shit, all that's good for is bloating and bubble guts cause ain't no point in drinking it and shitting it back out an hour later.

Just push hard at the gym and have a partner to spot you if you can.. You can do it alone too if I'm runnin dolo I'm not gonna hesitate to ask some random nigga for a spot.

Fuck their feelings I got a sculpture to maintain..
    DaBull
  • spit_fiyaspit_fiya Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    NO fast food...*not including chipotle, no pork, no junk food, and not many sweets.....it's simple to do and it's not expensive....I haven't got to the level where I can buy super healthy food everyday...but as long as you remove the crap from your daily intake, you'll be fine.....after removing the junk, you'll perform a lot better in the gym....you won't get tired as fast.
  • SixSickSinsSixSickSins Reading over Tananarive Due's shoulder. Somewhere getting asked about natural hair.Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Give up soda. Largely swore off soda when I was 13 and in all the years since I've maybe had the equivalent of 4 cans. Strive to drink as many ounces of water a day as you can.

2. Cultivate the land. If you have a huge backyard like I do you can start a decent sized garden. Nice, fresh veggies. Rinse and cook. You'll have a sense of pride over your little harvest and won't let it go to shit if you take pride in it.

3. "Train" your stomach to feel full on smaller portions. I think that's the problem most people encounter when trying to lose weight. You're so accustomed to the oversized portions provided by fast food that smaller portions feel insufficient. My advice would be to gradually cut back so as not to shock your metabolism and begin taking in smaller portions and gaining a sense of fullness from them.
    114.jpg

A.D.I.D.A.S

All Day I Dream About Sins
    VIBENeighborhoodNomad. Lady_ZeePeeny_Wally
  • Recaptimus_Prime360Recaptimus_Prime360 Earned my Masters and Ph.d in Phat Booty-ology Posts: 63,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's going to the gym , then there's going to the gym and burning a lot

i don't know how many people i've seen in the past be at the Gym a hour and some change and most of their activity consist of Barely lifting followed by having a lot of conversations with people they know in the gym , Light running .........more talking , some walking around.........more talking

put in some real work and leave sweating hard, you can't expect to see results if you're leaving the gym or wherever you're at and you're not gassed and you have 4 sweat stains on your shirt.

Smh @ the troofness of this post. No lie, I've seen these group of guys spent the whole 1hr & a half sittin around one machine talkin.

Then this one chick was just following her man around the whole gym, while HE worked out. Hefa would just sit or stand at one of the machines next to where he's workin out at and just talk to him. Why??
    AGSN: OUR MOVEMENT STILL CONTINUES.
  • NeighborhoodNomad. NeighborhoodNomad. Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. If you're thinking in terms of "diet" you already lost. I say this because as soon as you reach your desired weight, you will most likely go back to doing the same things that made you gain that weight. It's all about a Lifestyle Change.

2. Discipline. You know what you need to do. Do it. Not only do it but live it.

3. The body is a machine that requires certain foods for optimum health. Some things just aren't designed for the human body, which in turn have a negative effect on the body. If I put oil in my gas tank it will have an adverse reaction to my engine. Though it might function, it wont perform the way it was designed. Cause and effect.

4. We see all these advertisements that basically say I can still eat all the poison that brought me to this point of needing to lose weight and still be healthy/look good... It just doesn't work that way.
    BarryHallsSixSickSins
  • BarryHallsBarryHalls Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing I sacrificed when I changed my diet was flavor.

Neighborhoodnomad is right. Its not diet, its lifestyle change.

I've done it before. Got on a diet, got my desired goal and slacked off.
    03-029-A-Pulled-Pork-Sandwich-Homemade-Coleslaw_xl.jpg

o.jpg

bbq_chicken1.jpg

giphy.gif