Who do you think the real Producer in hip hop are?

r.prince18r.prince18 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
When i say producer I'm not talking about beatmakers i mean people that do what a lot of record producer like over see the mixing and mastering, song subject , the direction of how the singer or rapper sing or ryhmes on the song.

to me its Dr.Dre I know he get shit for not actually making beats but i think a lot of people don't understand when he listed his self as the producer he's doing what is what i described above

p.diddy explain it best

"im not a beatmaker, im a producer." "i dont program beats. i dont play an instrument. i know how to produce a whole song."

"theres a difference btwn making a track and producing a record. thats why we give diddy credit." - d. dot

"hip hop, traditionally has a different definition of "producer" then other music genres; in rock, a producer doesnt create the guitar riffs or drum beats".

Replies

• BackInWhiteBackInWhite Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what kinda phone service do you have, b?
  • rip.dillarip.dilla Posts: 14,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    r.prince18 wrote: »
    p.diddy explain it best

"im not a beatmaker, im a producer." "i dont program beats. i dont play an instrument. i know how to produce a whole song."

Flawed logic . .

It means anyone can 'produce' music
    a.mann
  • nyst8ofminnyst8ofmin Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭
  • MF_DoomervilleMF_Doomerville Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skateboard P
    Already Home_17
  • a.manna.mann Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    p.diddy explain it best

Flawed logic . .

Dre and Piddy are nothing more but glorified A&Rs

and it always sadden me how they successfully bamboozled people into thinking
    producing a hip hop track is as exchangeable as producing a song R&B

thus making them comparable to greats like Quincy Jones,Roy Ayers, and Herbie Hancock

which is a pure fuckin insult to those legends
    rip.dillaDisciplined InSight
  • AggyAFAggyAF Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does producing in hiphop have to be different. And its not an insult to anyone
  • Brian B.Brian B. Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p.diddy explain it best

Flawed logic . .

Well, anyone can produce music

now, wether you like it or not.. or how good or bad is another topic
    rip.dillaAlready Home_17
  • SixGwadSixGwad 6 SidePosts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boi wun da
    JDilla
    Dj Premier

• aladdin1978aladdin1978 Poo Poo Jenkins- pronounced Pow POW West coastin'Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9th wonder
    Premo
    Large professor
    Kanye
    Dj quik
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Why does producing in hiphop have to be different. And its not an insult to anyone

b/c we too busy trying to divide and conquer as usual. We just can't show appreciation and keep it moving same reason why we the only genre that criticizes older artists for continuing to drop music. Never heard folks say Bruce Springstein is too old to make music.

it really doesn't make any sense but let folks banter about....I mena folks just like to attack Dre and Diddy.
  • GSonIIGSonII Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion will not get anyone far
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 17,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    because hip hop doesn't have the same foundation as other genres. Besides groups like the roots, there's not that typical bass player, guitar player, drummer, etc. that other genres have. hip hop was based on sampling and playing records from bands.

• Billy_PonchoBilly_Poncho Real African Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No love for Timbo?
  • r.prince18r.prince18 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC_Will wrote: »
    No love for Timbo?

I love timbo I just didn't know if you guys would accept him sense he mostly does r&b and pop now

• TurfaholicTurfaholic scumbag The Bay 2 Sin CityPosts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim
    pharrel
    Dre

Fuck these fruity loop all stars niggas be praising
    MF_Doomervilleeternal soldierAlready Home_17
    because hip hop doesn't have the same foundation as other genres. Besides groups like the roots, there's not that typical bass player, guitar player, drummer, etc. that other genres have. hip hop was based on sampling and playing records from bands.

so? what about pop music?
  • MarcusGarveyMarcusGarvey Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of these top end producers are talented and their shit would sound better if they learnt and instrument, Quincy jones is right man, raps production is jus the bastard child of music
  • gman82gman82 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭
    Dr Dre. His track record dating back to the 80's, speaks for its self. Not only is he great at the definition of producing that you described, but he can make great beats as well (total package).
  • eternal soldiereternal soldier RESPECT YA JAW!! Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye
    Just Blaze
    The Neptunes

Probably the top producers hip hop has. I'm sure preemo understands music but I have never heard anything he's done that wasn't sampled. I have nothing but respect for his credentials nonetheless.
    Lot of these top end producers are talented and their shit would sound better if they learnt and instrument, Quincy jones is right man, raps production is jus the bastard child of music

A lotvof hip hop producers play instruments and can read music
    a.mannAlready Home_17
  • nawledge_godnawledge_god Gif Game Proper Chiraq RefugeePosts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye
    Just Blaze
    The Neptunes

Probably the top producers hip hop has. I'm sure preemo understands music but I have never heard anything he's done that wasn't sampled. I have nothing but respect for his credentials nonetheless.

Enlighten Me....How Many Original Tracks Has Just Blaze Produced?

• MarcusGarveyMarcusGarvey Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lotvof hip hop producers play instruments and can read music

Probably right, I take back what I wrote then, just hate hearing "Mike Will" or "Just BLAZE" at the beginning of tracks, if I want to know who produced it ill check the credits
  • poindexter2poindexter2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p.diddy explain it best

Flawed logic . .

nope...just nope

its not flawed logic because traditionally producers didnt play anything. you think quincy jones played all of those instruments on thriller? Beatmakers are songwriters, then you have the top liner which is a song writer too but writes the top line (which in hip hop is the rapper). You never see the artist of a sampled record get credit for production? Why? because they help WRITE the song not produce the record.

Not all producers are beatmakers and not all beatmakers are producers. but ALL beatmakers are songwriters, and that can't be debunked