Can any of today's rappers successfully pull off a double album??

Agrv2385Agrv2385 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Reason
All of the elite rappers at some point or another have dropped a successful double album. pac, big, jay, nas, scarface, outkast. Out of the rappers today who could put out a double album and actually have it be good. The only artist id even consider right now is Kanye. I think at the height of his career DMX couldve put out a great double album. His first 2 albums basically were one album split into two. I believe they were recorded at the same time which is why they were put out the same year. Please don't even bring up wayne nobody wants to hear his ass babble incoherently for 28+ songs. jus jk I know somebody gon mention him.

Replies

• StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 24,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ye, drake, K.dot, cole,
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 23,627 Regulator
    I'm surprised rappers don't do it more, all the material they release in mixtapes, some of them mixtape records could have easily been on albums. Why not just release a double album, and do videos for it & tour off that ? That's what cats like Curren$y should've been doing. This nigga releases so much music he might as well have released a double album by now. Shit if an artist like $pitta dropped his album like that right around the time he was doing the Stoned Immaculate the numbers that would've came up would've put him in conversation.

Plus by doing that all the tracks he records every day he could store up and release on his next album OR better yet, keep releasing his album with some minor remasters & remixes (w/ features or same lyrics/diff't beats) and 3 or 4 new songs. This nigga dropped a 5 song EP and another EP I think that had like 3 songs on it. Might as well save his music and release it as a double album. If he keeps dropping song after song he don't give the audience time to adjust and he'll oversaturate himself before he even gets on SMH.
    5th Letter
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rapmusicrapmusic Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They waste too much material on mix tapes. Nobody can do it
    5th Letter
  • The RecipeThe Recipe Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its to expensive, labels barley want to pay for 12 songs these days. That is why you dont see it anymore just like the big budget videos.
    soul rattler5th Lettergenocidecutteridoitforhiphop10
  • Built 4 cuban linxBuilt 4 cuban linx WU TANG BANGER, 36 STYLES OF DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!! At the 36th chamberPosts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lupes food and liquor 2 is a double album except the label broke it up into 2 separate releases.
    IceBergTaylor
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 10,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    None of the double albums were good to me.I am a Pac fan and never liked All Eyes on me as a whole,BIG's shit was good but could have been one album,Same w/ Jay and Nas.Nas' double was like his worse album after Nastradamus

I do not need to hear kanye for 2 albums.I think he makes great music but with his long music intros and outros it would take a week to listen to

Somebody said Kudi?Kudi.I wouldn't wanna hear a single from him let alone 2 albums

leave that double album shit alone.it never worked out good musically
    The RecipeReggie80
  • mdotmdot Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't listen to Drake much but his albums are basically divided into R&B and Rap. So he'd basically just have to add more songs. He could do a double album easily.
    AggyAF
  • mdotmdot Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Its to expensive, labels barley want to pay for 12 songs these days. That is why you dont see it anymore just like the big budget videos.

Yeah that sounds about right. Lupe wanted to do a double album but it didnt pan out. And Em I know he wanted to make a double album out of Relapse and Recovery.

Plus if labels don't even want to pay for a double album most fans wouldn't either. Because a double album probably go for $18-$25. And fans don't buy albums as it is.
    The Recipe
  • iChuy83iChuy83 Posts: 88
    k.dot can, maybe even Nas!!!
    SOWETO
  • vageneral08vageneral08 Fuck how ya feel Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Recipe wrote: »

exactly they charging double the price they used to for an album but as hip hop fans we miss that in the hip hop community more double albums would mean less mixtapes tho
  • bull6599bull6599 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can guarantee that Wayne will eventually try. Whether u agree personally or not, the most commonly named rappers in most top 5 DOA lists are Jay, Nas, B.I.G., & Pac and they all have 1 thing in common...double disc. Wayne wants to be in that class so it's only natural.
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is meant by successful ?

has a rapper ever dropped a double album w/o 40% being filler ?
    genocidecutterohhhla
  • Built 4 cuban linxBuilt 4 cuban linx WU TANG BANGER, 36 STYLES OF DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!! At the 36th chamberPosts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rather be waterboarded than sit through a double album of Wayne
    idoitforhiphop10
  • UrbanScribeUrbanScribe Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    For cohesive double disc album complete with storytelling, social commentary and some party and bullshit... But no filler

Nas
    K.Dot
    Andre 3000
  • UrbanScribeUrbanScribe Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Don't think I could sit through drake for a double disc.
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I was gonna make this thread. I think Drake, BlackHippy as a group, and Kanye West could do it. Mayve Cole and maybe Wale (at their bests)
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know but things were dif in the 90s when double cds came out. People had more to spend and their attention spans were longer.Thats when i was a teen and early 20s so i know 1st hand. The internet didnt exist. But people dont spend the same for cds now and the attention span is shorter among other factors.
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 27,370 Regulator
    i miss the hip hop double lp's but the current climate makes it hard for it to happen. the labels don't want to spend the money and the fans who hardly buy albums aren't gonna want to pay 20 dollars.
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Drake could easily
    rap side/ singing side

since when could drake sing/write quality R&B songs?

• AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Drake could easily
    rap side/ singing side

since when could drake sing/write quality R&B songs?

As a Drake hater i will say.............................
    Spoiler:
  • genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andre 3000