Lets keep it real...what makes DLH so great?

2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threatwalking out the lions denPosts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
think about it...who did he really beat that was that great, top notch or legit comp since he beat quartey. even in that fight ike had him figured out and DLH got in a lucky barrage(sounds crazy i know but you know what i mean).

now outside of him bringing bitches to the fight with brought more money....what made him great and the golden boy?

Replies

• dallas' 4 evadallas' 4 eva I been A1 since day 1 you niggas booboo.... Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice how there were no responses to this besides mine? I HATE De La Hoya sweet ass, but bro c'mon man even I aint gonna deny how much ass he used to kick.
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 43,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nigga lost every big fight and was stepping stone for good boxers to become superstars
    2stepz_aheadsupaman4321MR.CJ
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    nigga lost every big fight and was stepping stone for good boxers to become superstars

thats the point im trying to make.

• aneed123aneed123 Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was good not great.... he fought mostly everyone so u gotta respect it.... I hated him because he got robberies vs Pea/Quartey/and Sturm.... He is Mexican American and his popularity allowed him to be a big draw.
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    He was good not great.... he fought mostly everyone so u gotta respect it.... I hated him because he got robberies vs Pea/Quartey/and Sturm.... He is Mexican American and his popularity allowed him to be a big draw.

Pretty much

• 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so you have to respect him for fighting everyone and not because he won but because he excepted the challenge even thoguh he lost.

hmmm

that makes no sense. fighting everyone and losing the important ones basically makes your a gatekeeper IMO.
  • Billy_PonchoBilly_Poncho Gucci Goggles, That's How The God Do Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still a big WTF to me when I see him goin down from that body shot from Hopkins. They say it was just the right shot to the kidney, but that punch still looks regular as hell to me.
    honestly dlh is pure businessman.

he took all those fights to make money an to build a following that would carry over to his promotions company.
  • its....JOHN Bits....JOHN B Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims wrote: »
    pralims wrote: »
    so you have to respect him for fighting everyone and not because he won but because he excepted the challenge even thoguh he lost.

hmmm

that makes no sense. fighting everyone and losing the important ones basically makes your a gatekeeper IMO.

Gotta give him some credit, he fought all the great fighters of his time and put on a good show almost everytime, he did lose a lot of them but couple of them in my eyes he did win (Trinidad, Mosley 2), but at the same time he never really beat Sturm or Whitaker, not great but I respect him as a boxer
  • cobblandcobbland Max Julien and Vonetta McGee: "Thomasine and Bushrod" (1974) Chicago...Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During his prime, he was he most bankable boxer despite not being the best one out (RJJ was). So he had plenty of incentive to fight the people he fought (Mosley, Trinidad, Quartey, etc) although he dodged Winky Wright, he was going to get paid 3x what they were paid anyway.

And even after a losing effort, he never lost his ability to rank in money.

But it was disturbing how much George Foreman caped for him on HBO.
  • OhPeeOhPee Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He claimed having an addiction to cocaine during his prime years.
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 43,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • smittysmithsmittysmith Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great fighter just not and Elite Great fighter. IMO doesnt belong in the Top 50 all time.
  • Elzo69RenaissanceElzo69Renaissance Free Da Guys ZionPosts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone once told me he was a faggot w a left hook..i still laugh at that
  • ShadyWorldOrderShadyWorldOrder Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    he has was champion in 6 different weight classes and he is worth damn near a billion dollars what 600 million? I just feel when it came to the big fights he didn't perform. Vargas was outmatched from the start. I am a Mayweather fan but Oscar could of won that fight if he had true grit but he faded like Roger predicted. His fight with Hopkins is my favorite, with a cut hand he still fought a lot of guys would of stopped the fight. He fought a good fight until that body shot sat him down for good. I think Hopkins respected Oscar after that fight. Again Oscar has heart but he didn't get up for the big fights. I guess if you could compare him with another athlete from another sport he would be my Matt Ryan, plays great during the regular season but once playoffs start that cat is ghost. Same with Oscar big fights he seems to fail