man what is so wrong about putting out mixtapes?

i see some people say they want more albums and more mixtapes but for me i want more mixtapes just make it album quality.

this has been on my mind for some months and its like with all the pirating of music and so forth why dont artist just put out mixtapes? it seems to me that even though you dont make money off the album youll get money from shows and other endeavors. you wouldnt have to wait on a record deal cause youre already puttin out the music. and you wouldnt have to be controlled by what they want to hear or pay back your advance money.

for example 2chainz, waka, trinidad, etc. yeah you might not like their music but others do and these people will pay to see you in concert especially if your mixtape is hot. so lets talk, cause i see this as a new wave of the future to become your own boss and i see records companies going the way of the tape.

Replies

• The RecipeThe Recipe Posts: 3,626
    I enjoy free shit personally so I do not mind and in the last several years niggas mixtapes been better than they albums.
  • it also trains people to not buy into your product causing artists to make albums that are pander to certain album buying audiences
  • I'm not even mad at mixtapes as long as, like you say, the high production value is there. It think that the bar has been raised as time has progressed from a rapper spittin over the instrumentals of another artist's song with a DJ screaming on the track to album-quality worthy efforts.

I'm reluctant to even use the term "album-quality" because as we know, most albums these days turn out inferior to mixtape efforts.

I don't look down my nose upon non-label releases at all. A label is quite simply just a "label" to me. Something tacked on for branding purposes. An artist's effort/body of work is their body of work, regardless of the channel or medium through which it was released.
  • Dr.ChemixDr.Chemix Posts: 10,212
    I rather have the mixtape.

Artist got free reign to do what they want instead of label's required track listings.

Fab is proof of this...Fab mixtapes >>> Fab albums
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,667
    There's nothing wrong with mixtapes, because that's promo.. plus it's great for an unsigned artist (or rapper that's not established) to gain some buzz..

But when rappers consistently put out album-quality mixtapes, it takes away from the actual album.. being that the album usually isn't better than the mixtapes..

Yo let's hope that don't happen to Cyhi
  • hueyhuey Posts: 8,489
    edited January 2013
    nothing is wrong with it, some of my favorite music comes from mixtapes. its just the over saturation of music that has flooded the airways
    My beef is most rappers who use mixtapes like that end up putting out their best work on the mixtape instead of the album.

I attribute that to label pressure
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Fab is proof of this...Fab mixtapes >>> Fab albums

Soul Tape 2 >>> any Fab album..
    KingJamal wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with mixtapes, because that's promo.. plus it's great for an unsigned artist (or rapper that's not established) to gain some buzz..

But when rappers consistently put out album-quality mixtapes, it takes away from the actual album.. being that the album usually isn't better than the mixtapes..

Yo let's hope that don't happen to Cyhi

Cosign.. and since Cyhi's lyrics usually rely on punchlines, he has more on the line when it comes to the quality of his debut imo..
    Covert Coup >> The Stoned Immaculate..
  • IamtheVILLEIamtheVILLE Posts: 2,702
    i feel yall, but why even put out an album though? or better yet if youre an established artist like ye, jay, tip, or some of the others why dont you just start putting out "albums" but their really just mixtapes.
  • Brian B.Brian B. Posts: 4,900
    Lol we should all know by now why mixtapes are usually better than the album

Cuz there is no label interference deciding which tracks make the cut & whatnot

so it shouldn't be a surprise
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 14,865
    i feel yall, but why even pun an out an album though? or better yet if youre an established artist like ye, jay, tip, or some of the others why dont you just start putting out "albums" but their really just mixtapes.

They want the & recognition is why they put out albums. .can't wIn a grammy with a tape. ..not to mention the money....james got 2 million to sign to def jam

• black caesarblack caesar Posts: 7,207
    The Recipe wrote: »
    I enjoy free shit personally so I do not mind and in the last several years niggas mixtapes been better than they albums.

Fabolous the the perfect example. He might as well just do mixtapes and tour.

lamontbdc wrote: »
    i feel yall, but why even pun an out an album though? or better yet if youre an established artist like ye, jay, tip, or some of the others why dont you just start putting out "albums" but their really just mixtapes.

They want the & recognition is why they put out albums. .can't wIn a grammy with a tape. ..not to mention the money....james got 2 million to sign to def jam

The key thing to remember is that he got a deal worth 2 mill which goes toward promotion and an advance that he has to recoup along with recording an album, before he can even see profits. Uncle Sam is going to get their cut, so it's not much bread.
    edited January 2013
    Wiz Khalifa's Kush & OJ should had been his album instead of Rolling Papers. He toured for months based off of that tape, so he got to eat and smoke really good from that.
  • T. SanfordT. Sanford Posts: 10,846
    Brian B. wrote: »

I dont see the point of signing to a big label deal if they are going to f*ck with your craft.

stay indie
    T. Sanford wrote: »

I dont see the point of signing to a big label deal if they are going to f*ck with your craft.

stay indie

Some rappers don't have the business acumen to be indie. They depend on the machine.
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 9,889
    edited January 2013
    as fans we win for the most part when it comes to mixtapes. The labels even if they have 360 deals lose in this mixtape cliamate. Sometimes mixtapes do build buzz but 90% of the time in recent history the buzz doesn't lead to signifigant sales really. People aren't being dumb like 08 and 09 and building albums just off the buzz so the label is the one loses.

I think while mixtapes build buzz there is no type of mixtape buzz that compares to quality buzz. Kendrick aint have a big mixtape and he did better than most rappers out here. Even the pop bitches drake and nikki coonaj didn't really have a big release mixtape and they have sold better than anyone really in the past 2 years.

For niggas like ross and meek and 2 chainz i think they would have sold better had they not released mixtapes and put their hot shit album only. If meek releases amen just as the album niggas buy the album. Burn and A1 errthing are better than any song from the actual album. If ross has stayschemin as single 1 or 2 his album sells more imo. Same with 2 chainz.
  • T. SanfordT. Sanford Posts: 10,846

stay indie

Some rappers don't have the business acumen to be indie. They depend on the machine.

They can get robbed out of bread like that

they better get their business education game up

stay indie

They can get robbed out of bread like that

they better get their business education game up

Agreed, I remember back in 2000 after The Lox went through their thing with Diddy, I bought the book "This Business In Music book".

stay indie

Some do cuz they want the fame

Monizzle14 wrote: »
    as fans we win for the most part when it comes to mixtapes. The labels even if they have 360 deals lose in this mixtape cliamate. Sometimes mixtapes do build buzz but 90% of the time in recent history the buzz doesn't lead to signifigant sales really. People aren't being dumb like 08 and 09 and building albums just off the buzz so the label is the one loses.

I think while mixtapes build buzz there is no type of mixtape buzz that compares to quality buzz. Kendrick aint have a big mixtape and he did better than most rappers out here. Even the pop bitches drake and nikki coonaj didn't really have a big release mixtape and they have sold better than anyone really in the past 2 years.

For niggas like ross and meek and 2 chainz i think they would have sold better had they not released mixtapes and put their hot shit album only. If meek releases amen just as the album niggas buy the album. Burn and A1 errthing are better than any song from the actual album. If ross has stayschemin as single 1 or 2 his album sells more imo. Same with 2 chainz.

they prolly would've put the "hot shit" on the album but the label could've said "no, use these records or the album is shelved"

So they in turn put the "hot shit" in the mixtape