Teachers With Low Ratings More Likely To Teach At Poor, Black & Latino Schools

desertrain10desertrain10 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
Study Shows Teachers With Low Ratings More Likely To Teach At Poor Schools With Higher Numbers Of Hispanic And Black Students.

Teachers who received bad performance ratings in the past school year were likelier to be teaching in high-poverty schools, or in schools with high percentages of black, Hispanic or low-achieving students, a new analysis found.

The StudentsFirstNY report on the 3.2 percent of teachers were rated “unsatisfactory” — known as a "U-rating" — for the 2011-12 school year found large differences in how they were distributed throughout the school system.

StudentsFirstNY, part of a national organization founded by former Washington D.C. schools chancellor Michelle Rhee, has been advocating largely on teacher quality and school choice issues.

One the high end, two schools – PS 4 in The Bronx and Mathematics, Science Research and Technology Magnet HS in Queens – had one-third of their teachers hit with a so-called U-rating that year.

The top 10 percent of schools -- 77 of the 1,509 schools included in the study -- had nearly 19 percent of their teachers rated unsatisfactory.

At the same time, 748 out of the 1,509 principals didn’t issue a single U-rating in 2011-12.

The analysis found that students in high-poverty schools were at least three times more likely to be taught by a U-rated teacher than were students in low-poverty schools.

( lank: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/teachers_shows_report_ratings_more_AG1wcbOwzpPqu59wEciwHI)

^
Who is that news to, right? Smh. But considering the importance of a good education in this country what do feel can be done to improve our schools (inner city schools, schools in predominantly black/latino areas, etc) ?

And do you believe the teachers rated unsatisfactory because of the students they teach, or are students not performing well because the teachers are unsatisfactory?

Replies

• jonojono Complacency is the enemy of progress... Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't rate whether a teacher is good on the performance of students. There's just too many other circumstances that can affect student performance. People are MORE LIKELY to believe teachers in poor schools suck because that's the narrative that been spinning for a few years now.

When it comes to suburban and private schools they have distinct advantages, smaller class size, more attentive parents, better technology and more materials etc so even a mediocre teacher can look phenomenal in that environment.
    The only way to know whether a teacher is doing his/her job is to record classes for quality control. If a teacher is slacking off, helping students cheat (which happens a lot), not showing up for work...or constantly tardy, not attentive to his/her students (especially those that struggle) then you can say one is a shitty teacher.

Teachers and police officers have too much autonomy and not enough oversight and the types of oversight that are in place are wholly ineffective in telling the good from the bad.
    Allergens
  • Will MunnyWill Munny I eat pussy on the 1st date. Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its because its easiest to get hired in inner-city schools because nobody wants to teach there.
  • AllergensAllergens Ladies Love Cool Ace Posts: 14,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    its a bad study, kids care less about the educational aspect of school in the inner-city, so of course the teachers will be view as poor at their job...its like running a 40 yard dash starting 40 yards behind the starting mark...no surprise this in a ny paper
  • 7figz7figz Ig'nant Posts: 10,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    So which teachers more likely to smash students - seems to be the popular theme nowadays ?
    GettinLo
  • Supreme_GentlemanSupreme_Gentleman #RapeCulture Posts: 19,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7fIG wrote: »
    So which teachers more likely to smash students - seems to be the popular theme nowadays ?
    Now that I would care about
    GettinLo
  • Will MunnyWill Munny I eat pussy on the 1st date. Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7fIG wrote: »

Of course long after I graduated. fuck. Nothing ever cool happened to me when I was a kid.

• dc's teflondondc's teflondon Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    put the top rated teachers in the poor performing schools and vice versa to see if there is any change in academic performance at those schools
    jonoidoitforhiphop10
  • desertrain10desertrain10 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    aone415 wrote: »
    let's be real here...

95% kids in the inner city, especially Blacks give 2 shits about education... the 5% that do care get chastised and are accused of acting White by their degenerate classmates...

Most teachers are babysitters who give ZERO fucks about the students and the parents give negative 20 fucks about their kids and school.

Hard truths... but this is true

smh. i'm 25 and i went to both black and white high schools and i can tell you middle income, suburban white kids get chastised for doing well in school and called "nerds", "dorks", etc...

i say only around 15-20% of the white and black students whose parents and parents parents were born and raised in america i went to school actually gave a damn. its not just a black thing. america culture just doesn't value intelligence

more so than anything impoverished children especially of color are prey to stress caused by crowding, by crime ridden neighborhoods, by food/shelter uncertainty, and other factors hence the low test scores, behavioral issues, etc. and imho that's why they dump the young, inexperienced, "bad" teachers on these kids

i can believe the bolded about the majority of teachers....we need a more rigorous screening process through which weak performers are weeded out. also an extensive training program to help our teachers to continue their education with advanced coursework in administration, leadership, etc. better incentives to attract the brightest minds to teach

Wild SelfAlready Home_17idoitforhiphop10
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's be real here...

95% kids in the inner city, especially Blacks give 2 shits about education... the 5% that do care get chastised and are accused of acting White by their degenerate classmates...

Most teachers are babysitters who give ZERO fucks about the students and the parents give negative 20 fucks about their kids and school.

smh. i'm 25 and i went to both black and white high schools and i can tell you middle income, suburban white kids get chastised for doing well in school and called "nerds", "dorks", etc...

i say only around 15-20% of the white and black students whose parents and parents parents were born and raised in america i went to school actually gave a damn. its not just a black thing. america culture just doesn't value intelligence

more so than anything impoverished children especially of color are prey to stress caused by crowding, by crime ridden neighborhoods, by food/shelter uncertainty, and other factors hence the low test scores, behavioral issues, etc. and imho that's why they dump the young, inexperienced, "bad" teachers on these kids

i can believe the bolded about the majority of teachers....we need a more rigorous screening process through which weak performers are weeded out. also an extensive training program to help our teachers to continue their education with advanced coursework in administration, leadership, etc. better incentives to attract the brightest minds to teach

Which is why USA is far behind the other 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world countries in education, domestic jobs, and healthcare.
  • ThirdEyeFiveThirdEyeFive Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's be real here...

none of that is true. especially the bolded...
    jono
  • BarryHallsBarryHalls Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    It really comes down to the student who decides that he or she really wants to apply themselves to get an education. If your teacher is incompetent, go the extra mile and teach yourself a thing or to. I know people who went to shitty public schools who have a great career and I know some people who went to private schools. Paying $2000 a month on education and ended up being drug addicts or working a minimum wage job because partying was more important.