NY and Southern Hip Hop "inspired" by each other styles...

Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Reason
Yeah we've seen it and heard it from Asap Rocky, Harlem, NYC bred artist inspired by the DJ Screw sound of Houston.

J. Cole, North Carolina and Jay Elect, New Orleans spitting flows like the offspring of great lyrical East Coast MC's (Nas, Jay, Big etc.)

...is it really inspiration or is it swagger jacking?

Replies

• 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 27,621 Regulator
    i don't consider it swagger jacking, it's just the music influencing their style. They take it and put their own twist on it, have no problem with that.
    AggyAF
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    It's mostly niggas makin the shit they feel like making...

Some don't agree with the "inspiration" of NY artists using the Southern sound and vice versa..
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Its the Hip Hop game merging together. There is no real regional sound anymore.
    Aristo_V300
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can respect ASAP's Southern influenced style because that's the way he came in the game. I don't respect it so much when dudes like French Montana who jumped in the game with nothing, but Harry Fraud and Dame Grease shit all of a sudden making trunk music
  • A1000MILESA1000MILES Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some don't agree with the "inspiration" of NY artists using the Southern sound and vice versa..

I just think it's wack when "hip hop heads" talk down on another region then turn around and cosign artists who use that region's sound simply because "that's the home team"...Far as the artists themselves, sometimes they doin it for profit, and that's usually obvious...Other times that's just genuinely the shit they like to make...
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Its just music yall, more and more people are less afraid to be "themselves" these days, or atleast who they want to be.

That's all your seeing, its nothing miraculous.

Back in day, there was honor in being tough and providing for your family, not so much today...
    Wild Self
  • Stomp JohnsonStomp Johnson Ya man's a wimp, I give that ass a good thrashin'. Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just enjoy the music man. The more people there are thinking outside of self imposed boxes just for the sake of honoring some invisible/intangible state lines, the better off we'll all be.
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jazz and r&b had regionalism as well that died away
    Wild Self
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    I can respect ASAP's Southern influenced style because that's the way he came in the game. I don't respect it so much when dudes like French Montana who jumped in the game with nothing, but Harry Fraud and Dame Grease shit all of a sudden making trunk music

rappers can't evolve? so you're saying if you enter the game with a certain style then you MUST rap like that for the rest of your career?

by that logic Jay Z should still be rapping fast.
    Wild SelfDisciplined InSight

I just think it's wack when "hip hop heads" talk down on another region then turn around and cosign artists who use that region's sound simply because "that's the home team"...Far as the artists themselves, sometimes they doin it for profit, and that's usually obvious...Other times that's just genuinely the shit they like to make...

it has nothing to do with a 'sound' if the music is dope it'll get cosigned. ASAP Rocky is an east coast rapper with a southern style but he is a dope rapper so his southern sound gets overlooked. where as french montana is wack so he gets called on it.

• BodhiBodhi Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who dictates what an artist's sound is supposed to be regardless of where they're from? Early hip hop was influenced by reggae, which was born outside of the U.S.
  • jayvon32jayvon32 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best artists today have influences outside of their region (J Cole, Drake, K Dot). I think it's just the new generation having access to different kinds of music, gaining influence from everywhere and refusing to put themselves in a box.

One of my favorite albums ever comes from The Others, a group from North Carolina that sounds nowhere "southern". Basically a VERY poor man's Little Brother... I kinda like them better tho.

DMTxTHCidoitforhiphop10
  • zombiezombie Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's mostly one artist inspiring another, this is a good and a bad thing it's good because it gives the artist something else to play with, it's bad because it can cause everyone to sound the same.
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240
    Southern artists just showcasing talent.
    NY niggas dick riding to be relevant
    AggyAFDr.Chemix5th Letter
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this nigga here...

• OuncemanOunceman Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Jamaica wrote: »

it has nothing to do with a 'sound' if the music is dope it'll get cosigned. ASAP Rocky is an east coast rapper with a southern style but he is a dope rapper so his southern sound gets overlooked. where as french montana is wack so he gets called on it.

Not really. in actuality its quite the opposite. his sound is what catches people's attention. no one has ever commended asap for his lyrical prowess. case in point, in the longliveasap album discussion thread most were praising the album not for any quotable lines or bars it had but rather for the spacey production and how its good riding music. asap is not that dope of a rapper. which was easy to tell on one of the songs on his own album "1 train". he clearly had one of the weakest verses when compared to more of the lyrical heavyweights on the same track. even though he isnt french montana bad ill agree with that. but it was the production that really carried his latest album and his last mixtape.
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Jamaica wrote: »

Not really. in actuality its quite the opposite. his sound is what catches people's attention. no one has ever commended asap for his lyrical prowess. case in point, in the longliveasap album discussion thread most were praising the album not for any quotable lines or bars it had but rather for the spacey production and how its good riding music. asap is not that dope of a rapper. which was easy to tell on one of the songs on his own album "1 train". he clearly had one of the weakest verses when compared to more of the lyrical heavyweights on the same track. even though he isnt french montana bad ill agree with that. but it was the production that really carried his latest album and his last mixtape.

he's not a lyricist but you're underrating him as a rapper. dude can spit.
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yall still on this same shit. and ASAP is bout 2 steps above French Montana and Future on the mic I would call him below average at best
  • bigrizzbigrizz Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Originality is dead
    Disciplined InSight
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A$AP shits on French and Future.. they two of the worst rappers I heard in recent memory..
    IceBergTaylor32DaysOfInfiniti