Why I raise my children without God.

VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is!Posts: 42,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
When my son was around 3 years old, he used to ask me a lot of questions about heaven. Where is it? How do people walk without a body? How will I find you? You know the questions that kids ask.

For over a year, I lied to him and made up stories that I didn’t believe about heaven. Like most parents, I love my child so much that I didn’t want him to be scared. I wanted him to feel safe and loved and full of hope. But the trade-off was that I would have to make stuff up, and I would have to brainwash him into believing stories that didn’t make sense, stories that I didn’t believe either.

One day he would know this, and he would not trust my judgment. He would know that I built an elaborate tale—not unlike the one we tell children about Santa—to explain the inconsistent and illogical legend of God.

And so I thought it was only right to be honest with my children. I am a non-believer, and for years I’ve been on the fringe in my community. As a blogger, though, I’ve found that there are many other parents out there like me. We are creating the next generation of kids, and there is a wave of young agnostics, atheists, free thinkers and humanists rising up through the ranks who will, hopefully, lower our nation’s religious fever.

Here are a few of the reasons why I am raising my children without God.

God is a bad parent and role model.

If God is our father, then he is not a good parent. Good parents don’t allow their children to inflict harm on others. Good people don’t stand by and watch horrible acts committed against innocent men, women and children. They don’t condone violence and abuse. “He has given us free will,” you say? Our children have free will, but we still step in and guide them.

God is not logical.

How many times have you heard, “Why did God allow this to happen?” And this: “It’s not for us to understand.” Translate: We don’t understand, so we will not think about it or deal with the issue. Take for example the senseless tragedy in Newtown. Rather than address the problem of guns in America, we defer responsibility to God. He had a reason. He wanted more angels. Only he knows why. We write poems saying that we told God to leave our schools. Now he’s making us pay the price. If there is a good, all-knowing, all-powerful God who loves his children, does it make sense that he would allow murders, child abuse, wars, brutal beatings, torture and millions of heinous acts to be committed throughout the history of mankind? Doesn’t this go against everything Christ taught us in the New Testament?

The question we should be asking is this: “Why did we allow this to happen?” How can we fix this? No imaginary person is going to give us the answers or tell us why. Only we have the ability to be logical and to problem solve, and we should not abdicate these responsibilities to “God” just because a topic is tough or uncomfortable to address.

God is not fair.

If God is fair, then why does he answer the silly prayers of some while allowing other, serious requests, to go unanswered? I have known people who pray that they can find money to buy new furniture. (Answered.) I have known people who pray to God to help them win a soccer match. (Answered.) Why are the prayers of parents with dying children not answered?

If God is fair, then why are some babies born with heart defects, autism, missing limbs or conjoined to another baby? Clearly, all men are not created equally. Why is a good man beaten senseless on the street while an evil man finds great wealth taking advantage of others? This is not fair. A game maker who allows luck to rule mankind’s existence has not created a fair game.

God does not protect the innocent.

He does not keep our children safe. As a society, we stand up and speak for those who cannot. We protect our little ones as much as possible. When a child is kidnapped, we work together to find the child. We do not tolerate abuse and neglect. Why can’t God, with all his powers of omnipotence, protect the innocent?

God is not present.

He is not here. Telling our children to love a person they cannot see, smell, touch or hear does not make sense. It means that we teach children to love an image, an image that lives only in their imaginations. What we teach them, in effect, is to love an idea that we have created, one that is based in our fears and our hopes.

God Does Not Teach Children to Be Good

A child should make moral choices for the right reasons. Telling him that he must behave because God is watching means that his morality will be externally focused rather than internally structured. It’s like telling a child to behave or Santa won’t bring presents. When we take God out of the picture, we place responsibility of doing the right thing onto the shoulders of our children. No, they won’t go to heaven or rule their own planets when they die, but they can sleep better at night. They will make their family proud. They will feel better about who they are. They will be decent people.

God Teaches Narcissism

“God has a plan for you.” Telling kids there is a big guy in the sky who has a special path for them makes children narcissistic; it makes them think the world is at their disposal and that, no matter what happens, it doesn’t really matter because God is in control. That gives kids a sense of false security and creates selfishness. “No matter what I do, God loves me and forgives me. He knows my purpose. I am special.” The irony is that, while we tell this story to our kids, other children are abused and murdered, starved and neglected. All part of God’s plan, right?

When we raise kids without God, we tell them the truth—we are no more special than the next creature. We are just a very, very small part of a big, big machine–whether that machine is nature or society–the influence we have is minuscule. The realization of our insignificance gives us a true sense of humbleness.

I understand why people need God. I understand why people need heaven. It is terrifying to think that we are all alone in this universe, that one day we—along with the children we love so much—will cease to exist. The idea of God and an afterlife gives many of us structure, community and hope.

I do not want religion to go away. I only want religion to be kept at home or in church where it belongs. It’s a personal effect, like a toothbrush or a pair of shoes. It’s not something to be used or worn by strangers. I want my children to be free not to believe and to know that our schools and our government will make decisions based on what is logical, just and fair—not on what they believe an imaginary God wants.
Lou_CypherPico7figzblacktuxSleepwalkingInJapanLady_Zeedwade206fuc_i_look_likeMARIO_DROvince_vincewaterproofMrSoutCityJabu_RuleBodhiceothachosen1ex-soldierjonosoul rattlerMzKBBig JamesRubato GarciaLUClENMister B.
«13456721

Replies

  • ShuffingtonShuffington Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platinum thread push
    VIBEBodhisoul rattlerLUClEN
  • VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is! Posts: 42,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The narcissism shit is on point.

    ceothachosen1LUClEN
  • NIKE...NIKE... Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Atheists are almost as pushy as the damn Jehovah witness
    I was about to post something like that too b..niggas might as well start handing pamphlets in shit in front of walgreens
  • VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is! Posts: 42,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying something exists without any proof is lying, because you have no facts or any basis to fall back on to support your claim.

    To claim something doesn't exist, because it doesn't have any factual evidence, isn't lying but the truth.

    blacktux
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Religious heads telling me im going to certain places bc im a certain way unless i believe in what they believe in and atheist telling me God doesn't exist bc bad things happen...how bout yall shut the fuk up and let me believe in what i believe in unless i ask for ur damn opinion
    Ajackson17Bodhi
  • VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is! Posts: 42,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will always have at least two sides to things, like it or not, people will share their views and opinions on them.

    I liked this article so I posted it to share.

    LOL @ this article being flagged over and over and them having to edit in asking them NOT to flag it.
  • Go figureGo figure Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some people think with more emotion/spirituality than logic.

    its like knowing when someone is lying but u dont have any proof. does it mean u are wrong? not necessarily. but u go by your gut feeling and i think some, not all, believers really believe what they feel while the rest are just comfortable with it or were raised that way.

    personally i dont believe in religion but im not quick to believe there isnt a higher being or energy that put everything in its place and i do believe in spirituality and being able to sense other peoples energy.
  • CainCain The audacity of you fuck niggas Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 33,068 Regulator
    Believes God doesn't exist but doesn't have proof.

    Believes God is real and exist but doesn't have proof.

    Same group of people no matter how you look at it.
    The ProdigalsonCopperblacktuxpowerman 5000fuc_i_look_likeMARIO_DROBodhiMzKB
  • VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is! Posts: 42,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i think carl sagan said it the best i've ever heard

    "An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do now to be sure that no such God exists.

    To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed."

    Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe.

    I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws

    I see what he's saying. It is true, "god" isn't only a biblical figure, "god" is simply a title. So you can attach the title "god" to anything.
    KaiAjackson17
  • 700700 Praying 5 times a day to catch a plug Plap City, FLAPosts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not a believer but i raise my kids as believers

    teaches em good morals and values and shit
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Human race cant even travel past their own moon... yet gonna rule out the existence of universal beings
    Ajackson17dwade206vince_vince
  • MeesterMeester (0) pain exists because our relatives are in pain bitch country.Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the free will to say that
    MzKB
  • ShuffingtonShuffington Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    No disrespect to all my fellow IC constituents but I dont think you understand the POV of an atheist...(using and atheist as an example)

    •first of all... to a theist (if your a theist) ANY! and I mean ANY.. big or little criticism against a GOD that you love.. That you've built your life around...will always feel and sound like an attack.

    • Secondly...do you realize that atheist are surrounded by theist all damn day .. 75% being christian in the states.. right.. We gotta hear about this God shyt all damn day from everywhere!.. ... We cant escape that shyt... N*ggas be on facebook talking that shyt or praising God at the award shows (like nygga get outta here wts.) We gotta hear that shyt from a bunch of hypocritical mafuckas.... like clearly you obviously in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM live your life Christ like...(all you do is pray when you need some shyt) but who am I to judge.

    Its like a black man trying to escape the essence of racism or some shyt.

    So yeah it may seem like Atheist are pushy (and some are because theres always a fringe element within a certain group) but nyggas finally can actually speak out without feeling shunned... especially in the Black community where people love them some God and jesus.
    VIBEdwade206fuc_i_look_likeJusDre313Disciplined InSight
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plap Star wrote: »
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Human race cant even travel past their own moon... yet gonna rule out the existence of universal beings

    i kinda find it hard to believe its a mothafucka in the sky playin the sims with my life

    I find it hard to believe that there is a gigantic ball of gas in space that has been burning for millions of years, a planet so large that that ball of gas cant be seen if next to it or the fact that gigantic meat eating lizards roamed the earth...doest mean it ain't true
    Ajackson17Jabu_RuleMzKB
  • 700700 Praying 5 times a day to catch a plug Plap City, FLAPosts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Plap Star wrote: »
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Human race cant even travel past their own moon... y to bet gonna rule out the existence of universal beings

    i kinda find it hard to believe its a mothafucka in the sky playin the sims with my life

    I find it hard to believe that there is a gigantic ball of gas in space that has been burning for millions of years, a planet so large that that ball of gas cant be seen if next to it or the fact that gigantic meat eating lizards roamed the earth...doest mean it ain't true

    ok believe what you believe

    dinosaurs aint real either, but i iant gon get into that



    KaiAjackson17Bodhi
  • VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is! Posts: 42,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Plap Star wrote: »
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Human race cant even travel past their own moon... yet gonna rule out the existence of universal beings

    i kinda find it hard to believe its a mothafucka in the sky playin the sims with my life

    I find it hard to believe that there is a gigantic ball of gas in space that has been burning for millions of years, a planet so large that that ball of gas cant be seen if next to it or the fact that gigantic meat eating lizards roamed the earth...doest mean it ain't true

    There's proof for this though, so if you truly don't believe it (which I know you're using an example, a poor one at that) then you're being ignorant to the proof.
«13456721
This discussion has been closed.