Charles Darwin's wife used to call him "my own dear Nigger"

sullysully Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
For a more personal peek into Darwin's life there is a letter from his wife Emma on her concerns about Darwin's dwindling faith (Emma was much more religious than him). She wrote:
May not the habit in scientific pursuits of believing nothing till it is proved, influence your mind too much in other things which cannot be proved in the same way, & which if true are likely to be above our comprehension.
Later in the same letter she refers to Darwin as "my own dear Nigger". This is a strange term of affection to modern ears, but was probably an ironic reference to him being her "slave" - a phrase she uses in other letters. Darwin was a staunch abolitionist and wrote in several places that he abhorred slavery.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2008/apr/16/itatreasuretroveof

3ot607.jpg

Replies

• Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    INB4 "He shared that girl."
    loch121Meta_Consciousfortyacres&amule
  • skpjr78skpjr78 Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    INB4 kat catches jungle fever........again
    loch121fortyacres&amule
  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darwin was an abolitionist? Wasn't he a fan of social engineering and eugenics? That feels contradictory to me. You believe some people are genetically superior to others and yet, you don't believe they should be slaves...instead they should never even be born.
    Meta_ConsciousJ. Will
  • SneakDZASneakDZA Just a guy Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    jono wrote: »
    Darwin was an abolitionist? Wasn't he a fan of social engineering and eugenics? That feels contradictory to me. You believe some people are genetically superior to others and yet, you don't believe they should be slaves...instead they should never even be born.

where would you get the idea that darwin was a fan of eugenics? that's like saying euclid was a fan of skyscrapers.

pretty much all darwin did was recognize and name the process of natural selection and adaptability as evolution. and get into some freaky nigger shit with his wife.
    StoneColdMikeymemphis10Ajackson17Bodhi
  • Mdizzle9000Mdizzle9000 Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

darwin was actually against social darwinism
    Osirus_JenkinsBodhi
    Really? This is new to me, so why is it called "Darwinism"? I may need to research this topic a bit because I've never heard of any of this.
  • 2 Drawlz2 Drawlz Posts: 777

u niggers need 2 open up a book. there were lots of anti- slavery whites, who still felt that blacks were sub human and inferior.
    SneakDZAStoneColdMikeyloch121Meta_Conscious
    2 Drawlz wrote: »

u niggers need 2 open up a book. there were lots of anti- slavery whites, who still felt that blacks were sub human and inferior.

I know that you goon, I'm unfamiliar with Darwin's beliefs.
    Really? This is new to me, so why is it called "Darwinism"? I may need to research this topic a bit because I've never heard of any of this.

Social darwinism takes darwins beliefs of evolution and survival of the fittest in genetics and applies it to social classes in our society, basically saying the strong and rich will prosper and the poor and weak will die like a weak species. Darwin himself didn't agree with this

Ahhh I see. So he created a concept...then someone bastardized it? Sounds fairly typical.
    Mdizzle9000StoneColdMikeyMeta_Conscious
  • Recaptimus_Prime360Recaptimus_Prime360 Phat Bootyologist Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm, alrighty then
    iKingGodGivBiz
  • NIKE...NIKE... Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respect Darwin for his scientific advances... Anything other than that resembles a nigga that gets no pussy..who cares what his wife has to say when he gave niggas the law of nature on a silver platter...

Only the strong survive bitch
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Drawlz wrote: »

I'm surprised by it too. I didn't know Darwin was an abolitionist.

And Darwin pretty much came up with the ideas of natural selection and survival of the fittest. You wouldn't think someone like that would have a problem with one group lording over a weaker group.

• mc317mc317 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look bringin this shit up is just going to open up the whole bay of pigs thing again
    SneakDZA
  • Peeny_WallyPeeny_Wally Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Darwin's own words in The Voyage of the Beagle, he states that he was disgusted by slavery, and this sentiment is a recurring theme in some of his writings. Unfortunately social darwinism has warped Darwin's views to the masses.
    Meta_ConsciousYoung Stef
  • stupot0607stupot0607 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    i Knew of a old woman who had a dog called "Nigger" i mean .... and she didnt exactly live in a area where no black people were around... shits disgraceful....

times change though......
  • edwardnigmaedwardnigma Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frederich Douglas who was an ambassador of sorts to the U.S referred to the President of haiti as a "Superior Being" and a man he admired

He was in Haiti tryong to persuade them to give up a naval base on a small osland haiti owned.

The President told them craccas and Frederick Douglas no.lol and that was that.

I just want to show this inferior mindstate that american history is dealing to blacks and blacks are regurgitating is not the only history out there.

• Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darwin was an INTP and we are idea people and concepts and research not about controlling people. We want truth noy lies and of course race is a lie and he didnt believe it.
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably used to call her "my lovely cunt"
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain't sully a cracka? Or cracka variant?
    Cain
  • fortyacres&amulefortyacres&amule wubalubadubdub Posts: 13,990 Regulator
    edited January 2013
    She was down with the swirl and Darwin was about the cuckold life , smh these crackaz man
    Valentinez A. Kaiser