Aiight check it....

Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
I want to "downgrade" my car so-to-speak. I have an 04 G35x, but I've since then had a kid and started to think more along the lines of some other shit. For example, I was in Amsterdam, and I was conversing with this couple about how they live and the husband was tellin me shit like, he has had the same car for almost 13 years and doesn't plan on getting rid of it. Mind you, these people are PAID. So I know he can afford anything he wanted. Which got me to thinking:

If you look at a lot of American people, we value the size of our cars, men and women alike; basically bigger=better. But for some reason Im thinking, if I want to change my lifestyle, start living that way. So one way how this wealthy person keeps money is that he has had a decent car that he can maintain or get maintained easily, fuel efficient, etc.

Basically, I'm highly considering ditching my ride for an 02 or 03 BMW 316i Wagon. Its pretty cheap, I know beemers last for a long while, gets max 42mpg HWY. I feel like it has a smooth look to it (in grey), plus having a young child, I can fit all her shit in it whenever the time calls. Blahblahblah.....

What yall think? Any suggestions?

Replies

  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not into race cars. and that shit looks hella small. i was geared toward the 316i Wagon because of the space for a car its size
  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dig that, and i thats what I was thinking, but having three cars would be adverse to what he inspired me to do. The goal is to conserve while maintaining the lifestyle you want to and being happy with the decision I make with my vehicle. The infiniti isnt a prize possesion. Its a nice car to have, but I would never mind not having it, especially for that beemer wagon. Its just a matter of if a beemer wagon is the way to go as opposed to, like you say, the civic or the audi wagon, etc. I guess now that i think about it, i never have really seen too many civics around so I couldnt tell you how they are or look.
  • Lurker6Lurker6 Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    u sure in a year or so ur not gunna be complaing that the bmw is too old and u want something else ....
  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure I won't. I dont care to have new cars like that, plus it helps me with the whole cutting back on shit and I wanna be one of the older wealthy guys with the older car thts still in good shape.
  • Trollio Trollio Trollololololololololol Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get two cars
    i have a family car and my 2 door fave
  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have two cars already @n64

    what I plan on doing is gettin my older car and then replacing that other car with whatever new car my wife wants.

    @abn52 - I definitely dont want a charger, seeing as there's hella people with it, its easy as hell to steal and i just think theyre plain ugly. I know having an older car doesnt necessarily mean you got paper, but it was just part of a lifestyle that inspired me to do it, and I think i wanna divulge in that aspect. I hate flossin, so I always ride factory, so that will never change. I was thinking about trading the infiniti for the bmw and getting some money back. Its a european bmw too and I got a guy that will convert my shit for basically nothing. I just dont knw whats the better car to get if I make this permanent change. For example, the guy I was kickin it with had like an older vette. You know its still upper echelon but not crackin heads type deal.
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be very cautious about buying and hoping to keep a german car for a really long long time. For that your better of going Japanese. A Rav4 or a CRV could be had for the same price, but you'll get a far newer model with far fewer miles on it. And trust me those things can be driven for centuries.
    Cinco
  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rage
    and that was another thing i was thinkin too, I know Japanese cars are pretty long lasting cars, but I love German engineering, in my opinion, it has a lot more integrity in the products they make. Plus, I dont find the Rav4s or CRVs more appealing.
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonys. wrote: »
    @rage
    and that was another thing i was thinkin too, I know Japanese cars are pretty long lasting cars, but I love German engineering, in my opinion, it has a lot more integrity in the products they make. Plus, I dont find the Rav4s or CRVs more appealing.

    I dont understand what this means? Mechanical objects cannot have integrity.
  • CincoCinco Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the 2004 G
    It's a nice car and isn't expensive.
    Are you done paying for it? More reason to keep it.
    Don't go into debt on a other car. Plus you will only fetch $10-$12k(maybe) if you sell it.
  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »
    tonys. wrote: »
    @rage
    and that was another thing i was thinkin too, I know Japanese cars are pretty long lasting cars, but I love German engineering, in my opinion, it has a lot more integrity in the products they make. Plus, I dont find the Rav4s or CRVs more appealing.

    I dont understand what this means? Mechanical objects cannot have integrity.

    What I mean is, I feel as if they put more work into their cars than other manufacturers do. A German engineered 2000 something vs. a lot of other 2000 something other country engineered cars, wouldnt have the same (for lack of better word) value after so many years. Yes I know cars depreciate easily, but its kinda like the lesser of two evils, but thats something Im willing to accept in buying a car.

    b00kie wrote: »
    Keep the 2004 G
    It's a nice car and isn't expensive.
    Are you done paying for it? More reason to keep it.
    Don't go into debt on a other car. Plus you will only fetch $10-$12k(maybe) if you sell it.

    Yea Im done paying for it, but I just dont think it's a good car to keep with a growing family, plus that fuckin thing isnt the best on gas. I know no matter what car I have, Ima drive it where ever, but making this switch would mean better efficiency, a less sporty look (which I dont mind), more room and a longer lasting car whose maintenance is more DIY friendly.
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    tonys. wrote: »
    rage wrote: »
    tonys. wrote: »
    @rage
    and that was another thing i was thinkin too, I know Japanese cars are pretty long lasting cars, but I love German engineering, in my opinion, it has a lot more integrity in the products they make. Plus, I dont find the Rav4s or CRVs more appealing.

    I dont understand what this means? Mechanical objects cannot have integrity.

    What I mean is, I feel as if they put more work into their cars than other manufacturers do. A German engineered 2000 something vs. a lot of other 2000 something other country engineered cars, wouldnt have the same (for lack of better word) value after so many years. Yes I know cars depreciate easily, but its kinda like the lesser of two evils, but thats something Im willing to accept in buying a car.

    http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/

    5 out of the top 6 are Jap cars, 1 is a Hyundai and 2 are domestic and one is German.

    I think you may be falling for the trap that most people fall into. We keep holding on to these subjective old school myths and stereotypes that we are missing out on real value. If the 316 is something you like and thats why you want to buy...then buy it because you like it and want it. But if your looking to make a rational and practical decision I think you need to take a serious look at some options.
  • Roster Player #99Roster Player #99 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rage

    Well since you bussed the facts, Im going to have to go back and think about what to get now. Im a horrible decision when it comes to big stuff like that. Daps. To all.
Sign In or Register to comment.