When considering Dr Dre as one of the greatest producers does anybody take into account......

ShadyWorldOrderShadyWorldOrder Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
Everytime I see the credits of a Dr Dre produced track I would see other co producers along with him such as Mel Man, Mark Batson, Scott Storch, Focus, Dawaun Parker and Mike Elizondo. I mean many consider him one of the greatest producers of all-time but with so many co-produced tracks does that hurt his legacy or this is a common thing amongst great producers

Replies

• NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question. It doesnt matter. Nobody's there to break down who did what on each song. Like you said a lot of songs have co producers. All people care about is if it sounds good. And all they know is Dre produced it. To what degree, the vast majority could care less.
    s3nterocksShadyWorldOrder
  • s3nterockss3nterocks Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    It does if you are really trying to make a valid argument out of it. Take Eminem for example, aside from stamping him, Dre didn't do much for his career. Majority of Em's singles and greatest songs were produced by Eminem and some other white guy whose name I forgot. Don't get me wrong Dre is legend, but he's overly acknowledge for the work he put in.
    ShadyWorldOrder
  • ShadyWorldOrderShadyWorldOrder Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Good question. It doesnt matter. Nobody's there to break down who did what on each song. Like you said a lot of songs have co producers. All people care about is if it sounds good. And all they know is Dre produced it. To what degree, the vast majority could care less.

I guess if you dont look into it all ppl know is Dre produced it which is true but you get all the accolades of single handedly being one of the greatest producers of all-time the number of co-producers on a vast majority of his tracks which never gets taken into account
  • poindexter2poindexter2 Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Producing doesnt mean you make the beat all of the time. How many times do this have to be explained?
    KNiGHTSAlready Home_17
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody who works with those "ghost producers" is probably aware of their credits, but I dont think normal consumers really care though... Its easier to just say Dre, the name everyone knows.
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think Quncy Jones played every instrument on Thriller, niggas can't be this dense. Being a producer entails vision.
    KNiGHTSKalecrunchcomplex_council
  • nex ginnex gin Keep It Simple Stupid Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Producing doesnt mean you make the beat all of the time. How many times do this have to be explained?

People don't understand this though. They see "producer" and assume this means that the person actually made the beat. I thought it was common knowledge w/ regards to producing. Quincy Jones is considered one of the greatest producers of all time. Look at people like Puff, Dallas Austin & Jermaine Dupri. All of these guys get producer credits for the work of others. There's more to production than just playing instruments & beating on an MPC. A music producer can be compared to a film director whereas they guide the direction and process of making the finished product.
    Already Home_17complex_council
  • DR. JEKDR. JEK Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    It's not outta line considering all those people named are mentored by Dr. Dre.

I mean wtf? does it take away from Phil Jackson's legacy that he won championship rings because he had Micheal and Scotty and Kobe and Shaq? No....he's still the greatest coach in NBA history and it's a similiar dynamic in the Rap game with Dr. Dre playing the Phil Jackson role.

People nitpick this nigga Dre like he aint Dr. Dre or something. If yall were artist and could get sent a beat via email from the guy are you gonna ask him "did Mel man do this and you just mixed it"...or are you gonna tell everybody "Damn man...Dr. Dre just sent me a beat!!"
    KNiGHTS
  • nyst8ofminnyst8ofmin Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭
    producer doesn't secretly mean musician. producer means he produced all the necessary elements to make a song. dr dre is the brains behind the music. and at this point, id be willing to bet that dre can play instruments and read music etc.
    I dont know shit about producing Thats why I asked the question Was it a common thing for producers a team ful of ghost producers
    I was basing it off the fact when Pac was making All Eyez on me and it was alleged that Daz did majority of the producing and they just put Dre name on there dont know how true it was in order to disredit Dre or what
  • DarthRozayDarthRozay Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was basing it off the fact when Pac was making All Eyez on me and it was alleged that Daz did majority of the producing and they just put Dre name on there dont know how true it was in order to disredit Dre or what
    Dre only has 2 credits on All Eyez On Me. California Love and U Can't C Me

• Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

that doesnt make sense considering dre only got credited for 2 songs on the whole album
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I respect everybodys opinion but if its one thing i hate about hip-hop is how they flip shit, even tho the culture is built on it.

Do some of yall know what a producer is? Producing is exactly what Diddy & Dre does. Erick Sermon done that too, Kanye, RZA & a bunch of them. It happens in Hollywood too. A producer is exactly like the director of a film. Directors usually get the fan-credit even tho the story isn't necessarely written by them & everything else.

Beat makers are what some of those guys you mentioned are. Dre can play a few instruments, can DJ & maybe can make a beat dolo, but he produces. He's one the mixing it, he's the one who'll tell the artist how to perform the song, how to add sounds etc just like a director does, which alot of beat makers arent as good as doing.

Other do it for business reasons. Say a song is produced by a big name, the value of the song raises & the beat maker is able to make more money eventually.
    Already Home_17
  • DNB1DNB1 $$$$ Produced by a billion in this muthafukka $$$$ Posts: 14,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not matter who co-produced, all Dre tracks have a signature sound and I doubt that there is many hiphop heads who cannot spot a Dre beat within seconds...within reason, of course...

So really and truly...you know who run tings in the studio when Dre put his name on a track.
    Built 4 cuban linxAlready Home_17
  • c.b.b.c.b.b. Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    True, a producer is more like a director or visionary when it comes to making tracks.

So yeah, Dre is one of the best hiphop producers ever IMO.

Then again, people like Puffy, who I'm sure barely even knows what C sharp is or a B flat, shouldn't be considered one of the greatest all time producers IMO.

IMO, if you oversee beats being made, have musical talent, and at least have some input in the beat, then you're an official producer.

• StewStew Im In My Permanent PRhyme We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 36,691 Regulator
    See Quincy Jones

/thread
  • DarthRozayDarthRozay Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See Quincy Jones

/thread
    A producer in hip hop is different from a producer in another genre though. or at least that's how it's become

blackbloc
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He brings it all together and makes it work give him credit!
  • blackblocblackbloc Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr dre just funds the production, he doesn't even direct the songs anymore. he just bank rolls the studio time / equipment now .
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nigga, that's ALL that gets talked about with Dre. Matter of fact, he was the first hip hop producer accused of having ghost producers. Still one of the GOATs.