My theory for why many white people favor white rappers

LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and LogicianTinderPosts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
In the simplest of terms, I theorized last night that many white people prefer white rappers because of the language barrier. This sounds odd, doesn't it? Black rappers speak English, do they not? Yes they do. Just as economists, psychologists, social scientists and mathematicians do. All of these perspectives and fields of study have one thing in common though: specific vocabulary created to refer to ideas related to that subject. Just as someone who has never studied sociology before may not know what Marxism is or understand folkways and mores, many white music fans may not understand what is said by many black rappers because they cannot understand the jargon.

I came to this conclusion when a white friend of mine said that Macklemore was really dope, unlike most rappers nowadays. The idea that there is not a lot of good rap nowadays is nonsense in my opinion, it is only the commercialized music that reeks of vanity and materialism. He then said "Oh, and I guess Shad's pretty good too. But other than that there aren't many good rappers" (I paraphrased a bit). So then I asked him what is meant in the line:

"Home economics class taught me class is bout cake".

He, being white as sour cream, said "That's just about cooking". Obviously that is completely wrong. This little event helped me affirm my view that the reason why white people ignore the work of talented non-white rappers and favor white rappers is at least partially because white people simply do not understand the vocabulary. If true, I would deem it safe to conclude that if someone can not even understand the message, their opinion of it is worthless.

Ear2DaSt

Replies

• And_So_It_BurnsAnd_So_It_Burns Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol it's a lot simpler than that. Especially, in this day and age you have new rappers like Joey badass, Kendrick, drake that grew up in a generation where race wasn't as big of deal than say the generation nas and jay grew up in.

People favor things they can relate to. Look at Mack millers fan base compared to say Wiz fan base they're both from the same city have almost the same dialect etc
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician TinderPosts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I'm a bit ignorant as to what groups of people make up Wiz & Mac's fan bases. I would suspect they have a similar fan base though dont they?

I do agree that being able to relate does help people enjoy something. I like Nas and can not relate though. I never lived in the projects nor carried a gun. I don't know about that life but enjoy hearing that point of view and the ideas he discusses. White people may not be able to relate to the topics non-white rappers discuss but to say that white rappers are better, well I think someone needs to understand what a non-white rapper is even talking about before they can go and say that.
    And_So_It_Burns
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason white people favor white rappers is the reason black folk support tiger woods vick or any brotha in a position that is not the norm in the past. But lets be honest white folk don't even be supporting white rappers as hard as you think.

Yes they support them but i have seen white friends and white people at a concert go crazier for nas or wiz or wu tang than they do for even eminiem at times. And for the mac millers and asher roths they get tons less support than em from white kids. Just remember white folks make up a large part of the country obviously and by the day more and more like hip hop. Mac miller can sell out a 2,000 crowd college gym of mostly white kids but wiz could easily get 8K in a ballroom or mid level concert hall.
    And_So_It_BurnsCashmoneyDuxnujerz84Kalecrunch
  • mryounggunmryounggun Posts: 9,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's checkers son, not chess. Humans gravitate towards people who look like them. Especially in an industry where it's rare. Same reason we want Tiger Woods to win all the time, used to say 'Fuck Larry Bird' when he went up against Magic and rode for Obama before he justified it with his politics.
    loch121
    edited February 2013
    mryounggun wrote: »
    It's checkers son, not chess. Humans gravitate towards people who look like them. Especially in an industry where it's rare. Same reason we want Tiger Woods to win all the time, used to say 'Fuck Larry Bird' when he went up against Magic and rode for Obama before he justified it with his politics.

Then explain the people like myself that listen to black rappers, despite not being black
    DMIcarnalesflows515
  • BarryHallsBarryHalls Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just noticed that last night? Race has nothing to do with it unless your an ignorant. Sound is sound and if it catches you, you'll appreciate it no matter what the next person says.
    englishdude
    I noticed it awhile back, as the incident with that dude in my class happened awhile back. I put it into a formal theory for why many white people do not like non-white rappers last night though.
  • TheIraqTheIraq Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

Then explain the people like myself that listen to black rappers, despite not being black

Although you may deny it, you secretly want to be black or you are just very intrigued by the culture.............

LUClEN
    I don't want to be oppressed.
    I am a fan of underdogs though.

That theory has merit.
  • NeighborhoodNomad. NeighborhoodNomad. Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's that deep. It's like asking "Why do Filipinos like Pacquiao?" People like to see their own win.
    Whether consciously or subconsciously.
    People tend to support the things they can relate to.
    Already Home_175th Letter
  • leftcoastkevleftcoastkev Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Familiarity and tribalism. Human is human. It is what it is.

goldenja
  • Supreme_Mind999Supreme_Mind999 Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Its many factors that contribute to this so I'mma try to briefly summarize it as much as I can

1.White people as a race vibrate on certain tones..Look at their music types, Techno,Metal,Rock,Industrial

Most of their Genres are named after Rock=Hard Matter.Most of their music stimulates the lower self or the lower chakras.Their Music has only a top and a bottom(Techno) Loop

which usually doesn't deviates from its key octave..Ask a person who resonates with soothing relaxing tones to listen

to heavy metal and they will usually tell you to cut that shyt off,it's giving me a headache..Thats because the Heavy

metal is on a certain tone thats throwing off the person's vibration.. Dave Chapelle.knowingly or

unknowingly,made a comedy skit talking about how white people love electric guitar,Dave was simply saying What

I'm saying..

The typical hip hop beat has the same drum pattern of Rock music,which is why white people gravitate towards it

And ultimately white people gonna gravitate towards anything thats black because they are secretly attracted to

the soul black people exhibit...

So when a rapper like eminem comes along,they feel pride somebody white can actaully flow with black people

without being outcasted

People are tribal by nature..Race does not apply as far as tribalism goes because there is internal wars going down

within each race
    NothingButTheTruth
  • mryounggunmryounggun Posts: 9,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

It's called human nature because that's how the majority of humans operate. There are exceptions to every rule, son.
  • IamtheVILLEIamtheVILLE Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its many factors that contribute to this so I'mma try to briefly summarize it as much as I can

1.White people as a race vibrate on certain tones..Look at their music types, Techno,Metal,Rock,Industrial

Most of their Genres are named after Rock=Hard Matter.Most of their music stimulates the lower self or the lower chakras.Their Music has only a top and a bottom(Techno) Loop

which usually doesn't deviates from its key octave..Ask a person who resonates with soothing relaxing tones to listen

to heavy metal and they will usually tell you to cut that shyt off,it's giving me a headache..Thats because the Heavy

metal is on a certain tone thats throwing off the person's vibration.. Dave Chapelle.knowingly or

unknowingly,made a comedy skit talking about how white people love electric guitar,Dave was simply saying What

I'm saying..

The typical hip hop beat has the same drum pattern of Rock music,which is why white people gravitate towards it

And ultimately white people gonna gravitate towards anything thats black because they are secretly attracted to

So when a rapper like eminem comes along,they feel pride somebody white can actaully flow with black people

without being outcasted

People are tribal by nature..Race does not apply as far as tribalism goes because there is internal wars going down

within each race

damn that was deep. you got any reading material where i can read the things you talk about?

LUClEN

I'm saying..

without being outcasted

within each race

damn that was deep. you got any reading material where i can read the things you talk about?

http://www.alleyesonegypt.net/page/page/307355.htm

Food for thought..Get a plate

@IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLEgeechee slim
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240
    i'm sure white people like pro black rappers and we all know they cant relate to them
    LUClENKalecrunch
  • O.G.O.G. Living life in the victory formation. Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    go to most concerts. you will see way more andy's and penelope's than you will malik's and keisha's. i don't think pilgrams will spend their money on blacks artists if they didn't like them.
    Already Home_17LUClENidoitforhiphop10genocidecutter
  • IamtheVILLEIamtheVILLE Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm saying..

without being outcasted

within each race

@IamtheVILLE

good looks holmes but no diss or anythang but you know of any free literature? lol.

I'm saying..

without being outcasted

within each race

@IamtheVILLE

good looks holmes but no diss or anythang but you know of any free literature? lol.

Heres some videos:

If you want books..Drop your email and I'll PM you some books
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea all them words were unnecessary... Its cause their white
    LUClENsoul rattleriKingGodGivBiz
  • riddlerapriddlerap G Unit 4 Life 50's MansionPosts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont listen to any white rappers, nor do i favor them.
    ohhhlaidoitforhiphop10
  • Mdizzle9000Mdizzle9000 Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hate most white rappers
    LUClENidoitforhiphop10loch121