HHID? Nah... Who's the Top Artist Since May 16th, 2006?

FyHunnitFyHunnit I'm MadPosts: 9,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
Nas released Hip Hop is Dead on 12/15/06 , but he announced his album title on 5/16/06.
We all know the aftereffect, but who really held it down since then? Sorry Hip Hop Heads. The poll'd artists had to be alive to make the poll. Oh yeah, and the #1 had to have had an album. (sorry Stacks Stans).

Vote for your #1 Artist, and feel free to add your own Top 5, or 10 artists (from the same time span) for kicks and laughs.

HHID? Nah... Who's the Top Artist Since May 16th, 2006?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Replies

• FyHunnitFyHunnit I'm Mad Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    2. Lil Wayne
    3. Jay-Z
    4. TI
    5.Young Jeezy
    6. Drake
    7. Rick Ross
    8. Kendrick Lamar
    9. J.Cole
    10. Big KRIT
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240
    Drake
    This is a hard poll.
    since then Kanye has been going hard but at the same time Wayne was beasting around that time.
    I vote Drake though
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    2. Lil Wayne
    3. Jay-Z
    4. TI
    5.Young Jeezy
    6. Drake
    7. Rick Ross
    8. Kendrick Lamar
    9. J.Cole
    10. Big KRIT

top 5 is the same. don't care about the rest the bottom 5.
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    My tentative top ten from 2006-2013..

1. NaS (ironically)..
    2. Ghostface..
    3. The Clipse..
    4. Kanye..
    5. Common..
    6. Jay-Z (on the strength of AG)..
    7. Lupe..
    8. TI..
    9. Kendrick..
    10. Rick Ross..

The Clipse and GFK were the best in 2006 though, if we're talking about the timespan in which HHID came out..
    FyHunnit
    Kanye West
    My tentative top ten from 2006-2013..

1. NaS (ironically)..
    2. Ghostface..
    3. The Clipse..
    4. Kanye..
    5. Common..
    6. Jay-Z (on the strength of AG)..
    7. Lupe..
    8. TI..
    9. Kendrick..
    10. Rick Ross..

The Clipse and GFK were the best in 2006 though, if we're talking about the timespan in which HHID came out..

AG gave Jay an extra push on my list too
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    Jamaica wrote: »
    To me Kanye is the most important artist of the last 7 years. He may not be the most lyrical artist, but his creativity is refreshing and he is unique because of his unorthodox rap style.

FyHunnit
  • Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched You're favorite melanin enriched gentleman Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye
    Nas
    Kendrick
    FyHunnit
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I smell tittys Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    Ye was at the top raising the bar.
    FyHunnitnyst8ofmin
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    I voted Kanye on the strength that he impacted each artist on the list in some manner. He either produced songs on their albums (Nas, Jay, Ross, T.I., and Drake), produced or co-produced some of their biggest hits (Drake, Jay, T.I.), or influenced them in some manner (Drake).
    Kanye West
    Ye' will be a top 5 artist when its all over.
    whitecracker
  • sullysully Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    Nas. I would've put Jay-Z, but he's pretty much had one foot out for the last couple years. I don't blame him. He's done just about all he really can for the genre.

Nas, on the other hand, has been more steady and been killing guest features the last year or so.

And I can't give my vote to Kanye b/c even though his production has been pretty good (people do forget that RZA literally handed him a shit ton of beats and said "do with them as you please"), his lyrics are okay, but his materialistic raps are getting redundant. And now that he's with Kim K, we're gonna get a bunch of love songs inspired by that whore.
    FyHunnit
  • qawshunqawshun Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    I picked esco
    Even tho ye does him everytime he drops.
    Ag was flames and I bp3 was dope too
    FyHunnit
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 17,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    Kanye West (Dropped a couple potential classics, started the GOOD Fridays trend, Cruel Summer and WTT were a lil disappointing but still had some heat on them)

Lil Wayne (On fire up until 09, started dropping wack shit besides a song or 2)

Jay-Z (Dropped a decent comeback album in 06, a near classic in 07, a sub-par album in 09, and a decent/good collab album in 10)

Nas (Dropped some good albums, and a decent collab album. I only picked Kanye over Nas because Kanye has put out more work in the timespan than Nas has)

Rick Ross (Has his hits, but no classic material. Closest has been Teflon Don. Perhaps if his music wouldn't have been so repetitive the last couple years, and SM2 and GFID were better I'd put him top 3)

Jeezy (Dropped a couple hot albums at first, but between having a 3 year wait on 103 and his label not doing shit, can't name him the top artist)

TI (Dropped a good album, a 'meh' album, and an alright album. Spent about half of the time between 06 and now locked up though)

Drake (If this was asking whose been the top artist since 2010, I'd probably say Drake. but he didn't really have a major buzz until 08, didn't have an album quality mixtape until 09, and didn't have an album in stores until '10, so I can't give it to Drake based on the fact that he wasn't around the whole time)
    FyHunnitJusDre313
    Kanye West
    LOL @ The Hip Hop is Still Dead votes.
  • BobOblahBobOblah Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanye West
    new-nas-the-world-prod-kanye-west.8.jpg
    DMTxTHCFyHunnitCJ[Deleted User]
  • And_So_It_BurnsAnd_So_It_Burns Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    Either Nas or Ye. Ill give nas the edge simply because of the topics he touched on he's taking a lot more risks
  • KalecrunchKalecrunch Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lil Wayne
    I went with Weezy because of timing. When Nas declared HHID Weezy picked up the slack and was sort of a catylst.
  • vslykevslyke Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    Nas. But Kanye would have won it if it wasn't for 808s, WTT, & Cruel Summer all being mediocre. Graduation & MBDTF were dope as hell but I'd take Nas' last 3 albums over Kanye's. Its close tho. After them, its Jay-Z & then... shit Freddie Gibbs.
  • its....JOHN Bits....JOHN B Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    not even close

HHID>>Graduation
    Untitled>>808's
    Distant Relatives>>Watch the throne
    Life is good>>Cruel Summer
    The nigger tape>>anything else Kanye has done in the past 7 years
    Nas ripping every feature>>anything else Kanye has done in the past 7 years
    PK_TK_187
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240
    Drake