BET's President explains why she doesn't offer more positive programming.

At a screening for a new BET documentary, someone asked Lee if the network was going to aim for better programming, with Lee stating that, ”Over the 28 years I’ve been at BET, we’ve tried different shows, series and nightly news, and it’s always a matter of what are people going to show up to watch. We started a new show last week called Don’t Sleep! With T.J. Holmes, which is supposed to address these kinds of issues. It’s designed to be a mix of entertainment and news and commentary. We hoped it would have been a Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert-type show.”
Lee then went on to explain that the ratings game is what drives her to continue with content that is less than desirable:
“To be honest, the ratings haven’t been great in the past two weeks (referring to Holmes’ show). Our audience always says they want this kind of programming, but they don’t show up,” Lee said.

http://www.blackbluedog.com/2012/10/uncategorized/bets-president-explains-why-she-doesnt-offer-more-positive-programming/
Rock_Wellrip.dillaCashmoneyDuxKatDWOValentinez A. KaiserMeesterKINGECWild SelfLUClENskpjr78

Replies

• damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Bet would have to completely rebrand in order to bring back the audience it lost... Throwing one show in the mix ain't gonna reach ppl that don't watch your fuck ass channel...
    Only niggers, wiggers, and immigrants watch that shit...

it has...
    dwade206Osirus_Jenkinstha bause
  • mryounggunmryounggun Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this news? Networks care about ratings above all else. If positive programming about positive black people got a TON of ratings, there'd be a TON of those shows on. But they don't...so there ain't.
    atribecalledgabirip.dillaKINGECSo ILL
  • MARIO_DROMARIO_DRO Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YEAH CENTRIC IS NICE..

FOLKS JUST KNOW WHAT BET IS ABOUT AND WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN ABOUT FOR THE PAST YEARS.. THEY NEED TO RENAME AND REVAMP THAT WHOLE STATION
    goldenja
  • Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, wack channel.
    MARIO_DROtha bauseMeesterpurpngold
  • KaiKai evil nerd bitch from hell Posts: 21,446 Regulator
    EHHHH..

IF U WATCH TV1, WHICH IS CATERED TO BLACKS; THEIR PROGRAMMING IS POSITIVE AND THEY HAVE GREAT SHOWS ON THERE

there was this really good show i saw on there, it was like an intervention but for relationships. with black couples and black doctors/therapists. i can't remember what it was called, but it was really good

they have other good shows on there too
  • JokerKingJokerKing Вони виявили, Ваш номер STATION в рамках цієї спільноти! Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 26,372 Regulator
    If they actually promoted quality programming, viewership might be different
    StoneColdMikeyhaute
  • Rock_WellRock_Well Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bubbaclot wrote: »
    “To be honest, the ratings haven’t been great in the past two weeks (referring to Holmes’ show). Our audience always says they want this kind of programming, but they don’t show up,” Lee said.
    therefore, the audience need to stop fronting
    almighty breezeA$AP_A$TONsoul rattler
  • JokerKingJokerKing Вони виявили, Ваш номер STATION в рамках цієї спільноти! Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 26,372 Regulator
    how vh1 soul and betj still on the air then?

bitch. i hate her... somebody fire her already.

Quoted for trillness
  • Here’s the challenge for Debra Lee. First, when you consider the impact that positive programming is going to have on your audience, you have to realize what kind of audience you’ve created. I can’t tell you how many educated black folks I’ve met who simply say, “I refuse to watch BET anymore.” So, effectively, a disproportionate chunk of the BET audience might consist of people who either enjoy brain dead programming or only look to BET to give them brain dead programming
    Solitary Soldier
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VH1 Soul, MTV Jams, Centric >>>> BET..
    atribecalledgabideadeyeSolitary Soldier