Mom Arrested After 9-Month-Old Son Found Weighing Less Than 8 Pounds

ImTheKangRoundHereImTheKangRoundHere Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
walteria-bledsoe.jpg?w=470&h=261

Walteria Bledsoe was arrested and charged with injury to a child by omission after her 9-month-old son, Varius Bledsoe, was hospitalized weighing less than 8 pounds, KHOU-TV 11 reports.

Authorities are accusing Bledsoe, 23, of failing to provide proper nourishment to her son and seeking proper medical treatment for him. In November, the child was Life Flighted to Memorial Hermann Children’s Hospital where he was diagnosed as being severely malnourished.

Investigators say that the boy’s rib cage could be seen and his stomach was sunken in. A child normally weights 20 pounds at 9 months, according to Live Strong.

“The child, at 9 months old, weighs what a newborn would weigh,” said Assistant Harris County District Attorney Alison Baimbridge, according to the Houston Chronicle. “It appears to be fairly severe.

The child was severely malnourished.”
On Feb. 28, Varius was born 28 weeks premature and spent 10 weeks at the hospital. He weighed a mere 5 pounds after his release.

Bledsoe told authorities that Varius was small but did not appear to be malnourished. She also said that her other children are small and so is their father.

Bledsoe said that the boy struggled to hold down milk and was constantly vomiting. Child Protective Services has custody of Varius and his two brothers.

After a brief court hearing on Monday, Bledsoe’s sister, Tasha Bledsoe, said the child’s condition is not as bad as investigators said it was.

“He’s not bad, like they say,” she said. “My sister is a good mother.”
Bledsoe faces life in prison, if convicted. She is free on $20,000 bond. During the court hearing, she said she has not hired an attorney.

http://newsone.com/2185176/walteria-bledsoe-houston/?omcamp=sf_N1FB

Replies

• MzKBMzKB Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walter + Maria = Walteria?

Anywho, I hope the baby gets it weight up
    bubbaclotbull6599hauteYoung Stef
  • KatKat You just do you..Imma do me :* Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other children.

Good mother.

Not buying it.
    MARIO_DROfuc_i_look_likeiron man1GodNThaBuild'nMdizzle9000no_nameJusDre313Young Stef
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 48,165 Regulator
    dont know enough about preemies to judge...
    Billy_Poncho700
    I know enough to know that a baby should have gained more than three lbs in the 7 and a half months its been out of the hospital.

If the baby is vomiting, WHY is he vomiting? Did she take him to the doctor?

Not buying it.
    MARIO_DROiron man1
  • Everyone shouldn't have the right to have kids.

We need population control.
    Wild SelfYoung Stef
  • Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need more black children but we need smarter and loving and wiser parents.
    Wild Selfiron man1Young Stef
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. See what happens when the family unit breaks down?
    Ajackson17iron man1Young Stef
  • Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMH @ Them even wanting babies to be "thick".

This is why the fats must be purged.
    Melanin_Enriched Wild SelfohhhlaBookwormblacktux
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what the dad have to say about all this?
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know enough to know that a baby should have gained more than three lbs in the 7 and a half months its been out of the hospital.

Not buying it.

I don't think they're comprehending how small that actually is. 8lbs at nine months old, not 9mths prego. My daughter was a pound and 7oz heavier at birth!
    Kat
    .IRS. wrote: »

Not buying it.

I don't think they're comprehending how small that actually is. 8lbs at nine months old, not 9mths prego. My daughter was a pound and 7oz heavier at birth!

Exactly..these dudes don't know shit about it but want to hand out feelings and wacks.

My BFF had a premature child and yes she was small at first, but by 9 months she was pretty much a normal little baby. Maybe a bit small for her age, but definitely over 10 lbs, and this child was under 8? At 9 months of age?

She may have not been intentionally neglecting her baby, but this definitely proves that she is in over her head with multiple children at 23, and most likely going at it alone.

Stop having fucking babies.
    BiblicalAtheist Wild Self
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to say there aren't conditions that could lead to shit like this through no fault of the mother because there are, but the fact that both she and her sister believe that there is nothing wrong with a 8 lbs nine month baby is proof enough that the fault is with the mother.
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .IRS. wrote: »

Not buying it.

Exactly..these dudes don't know shit about it but want to hand out feelings and wacks.

My BFF had a premature child and yes she was small at first, but by 9 months she was pretty much a normal little baby. Maybe a bit small for her age, but definitely over 10 lbs, and this child was under 8? At 9 months of age?

She may have not been intentionally neglecting her baby, but this definitely proves that she is in over her head with multiple children at 23, and most likely going at it alone.

Stop having fucking babies.

Yeah have non fucking babies please lol
    KatYoung Stef
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240
    they make a green labeled(maybe orange) Similac for babies who cant "keep" milk down
    PK_TK_187 wrote: »
    they make a green labeled(maybe orange) Similac for babies who cant "keep" milk down

Yeah, but does that shit actually work? My daughter can't keep anything down but breast milk. We got her some of that stuff you're talking about as a back-up to the pumped breast milk. We'll see what happens.

• Charlie_Charlie_ ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ love & peace ♡Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bitch should die.
    Wild Self
  • 700700 I been chasing this dream so long, chasing it, I'm chasing it, told myself that I gotta stay strong Plap City, FLAPosts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    she need to get a job or somethin case bein broke is the only way i see not bein able to feed yo chilld

but i kno that she on wic
  • You should not be allowed to buy weave unless your kids are properly taken care of.
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    what the dad have to say about all this?
    they dont smell what u r cooking... n/fiat
    VIBE
    Plap Star wrote: »
    she need to get a job or somethin case bein broke is the only way i see not bein able to feed yo chilld

Come on now Plap...being broke is probably her best option. Food stamps, WIC, daycare assistance, Medicaid, free rides to the doctors office through Medicaid...no damn excuse, besides she ain't ready for all them damn babies.
    Charlie_
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240

Yeah, but does that shit actually work? My daughter can't keep anything down but breast milk. We got her some of that stuff you're talking about as a back-up to the pumped breast milk. We'll see what happens.

a close friend of mine had a baby that couldnt drink regular similac.
    it worked for him
  • 700700 I been chasing this dream so long, chasing it, I'm chasing it, told myself that I gotta stay strong Plap City, FLAPosts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on now Plap...being broke is probably her best option. Food stamps, WIC, daycare assistance, Medicaid, free rides to the doctors office through Medicaid...no damn excuse, besides she ain't ready for all them damn babies.

yea that what i was thinkin, its too much free shit out here, especially for single mothers

she aint got no excuses
  • Charlie_Charlie_ ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ love & peace ♡Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell naw. Broke ain the excuse. There are too many resources to help a poor mother out.

She didnt like her baby. Point. Blank. And simple.
    Mdizzle9000

a close friend of mine had a baby that couldnt drink regular similac.
    it worked for him

Cool, good to know.