What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Above the Rim or He Got Game?

D.D.S.D.D.S. Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which one you got? Me and one of my homies were discussing which film was better. I said ATR, he said HGG. What about you?

Replies

• Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 60,827 Regulator
    HHG Is Great Cinema Above The Rim Is A Great Hood Movie

/thread
    if i were an FBI Agent tasked with monitoring a forum, I'd post random pictures and watch the reactions of the people.
    j3xxbrubogcz1kewbepy.gif

Você é um otário. Zé buceta. Vai tomar no meio do seu cu. Filho da puta. Arrombado
    King Of The Onomatopoeia
    J. Will
  • S2JS2J Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    HGG is one of Denzels most important roles. Most complex. It birthed his complexity on that 'is he a villian or a hero?' type roles he's done since then

Training Day, Flight, American Gangster-nomnated for all of those. Also John Q...

HGG is a classic
  • Young GunnerYoung Gunner Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of Denzel's acting, I didn't care for HGG. I understood Ray's motivations for what he did though. Ray's acting I couldn't get over. Jeez was it bad
    D.D.S.focusHustleThaDonMR.CJ
  • Focal PointFocal Point Kushite descent... wandering child from Meru of Old TrentonPosts: 16,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say ATR though Denzel was the truth behind HHG
  • Built 4 cuban linxBuilt 4 cuban linx Only Christopher I acknowledge is Wallace At the 36th chamberPosts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    above the rim for me
  • clairvoyanceclairvoyance Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above The Rim 2PAC SHAKUR's performance was just as good as Denzels imo..
    nawledge_godCJillestni99ainneMr.Forteking hassan
  • ragerage Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    focus wrote: »
    Above The Rim.

I would've said HGG up until about a month ago, when I rewatched it for the first time since it came out. Have yall seen that movie recently? It does not age well.

This...plus that Soundtrack.
    TomBradyFiredUp_original.gif?1355198489
    focus
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HGG -better movie

ATR -better soundtrack

and I never thought Jake was a villain in HGG. Dude jus lost his temper once and it cost him his family. Everybody makes mistakes.
  • _Menace__Menace_ 4 MOD West.Side.CaliforniaPosts: 26,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Poll?

Above the rim>>>>

tumblr_mbjd6p2MZw1rixfo9o1_500.gif
    A GODDESS/ICON & THE GREATEST FEMALE ARTIST EVER: MARIAH CAREY
    tumblr_mkz8t79VkZ1rmjy4go8_400.gif

KOBE "BEAN" BRYANT
    tumblr_mohdwqEFUv1rz7szho1_500.gif

AMARI COOPER
    coopered.0.gif

Dress Like You Listen To Sinatra And Act Like You Listen To Pac
    rsz_12frank_zps16b2228d.jpg
    http://www.reverbnation.com/mcmenace
    Emcee Menace-The Stranger (Prod.By A.Joy) [Billy Joel Sample]
    LUClENHarlemThumzUpSolitary Soldier
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    of course u would say that,rofl
    _Menace_CottonCitySlim
  • thegreatunknownthegreatunknown Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above the Rim..its full of unintentional comedy with Leon playing invisible basketball and breaking people off with finger rolls and line drive jumpers, Wood Harris as an enforcer..Pac as Birdie, Eric from the Real World as a top recruit..if its on TV I watch until the end, HGG comes on I might watch for 5 mins and change the channel.
    freshb651
  • Billy_PonchoBilly_Poncho Vox Populi Posts: 22,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosario Dawson's titties push HHG over the top for me...
    LUClENFocal PointD.D.S.HarlemThumzUp
  • 700700 Praying 5 times a day to catch a plug Plap City, FLAPosts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the way above the rim comes on with that tupac instrumental i gotta give it to em

hgg is a good movie about a recruit and his daddy, abtr had a lot of different shit goin on

KingJamal wrote: »
    @b00kie do u have any Boosie stories u can tell?

b00kie wrote: »
    KingJamal wrote: »
    @b00kie do u have any Boosie stories u can tell?
    haha He cool man, I wasn't in the streets but

He was always lil, like 5'3. But a big mouth, couple times nigga had to square up. At the football game he took that stick the drum major had and cracked a nigga over the head w it and broke the stick

Nigga was cold on the bball court though, I didn't get that starting spot until he stopped coming to school. School let out at 3 we had to stay till the games at 6 so he used to just rap about whatever people talkin about passng time.

Then he started hanging w C-Loc and them, rappin/hustling whatever, rarely came to school anymore. When he did he would just be Polo down.... come, counting stacks $ at recess, everybody lookin.

OH and biology class blunt fell out his ear and the teacher tried to grab it. He twist that lady arm grabbed the blunt off the floor n left. lol
    Far from a groupie...but a Boosie story

Nga was in the club and I was out and about in another state..I was doing business there and decide to step out...and heard dude was going to be at the club on the radio...Now I don't know dude like that..but again my patnas know dude...I goes to the club..dude has his own section in the club..him and his crew and a few women...I walk up to the area and he comes over and he like you be in B.R. and you be wit such and such and I was like yea..he like mayne what you doing out here..I told him.. he was like..mayne you family come on in V.I.P. and get what you want..you want this..you want that..i was like nah..nga handed me a bottle and told me just to take it...again I don't know dude like that to be gettin a bottle..but the love he showed..I see why ngas love this nga down here so much...so I was leaving the club after he performed..nga was like you good you need bread..you need money on a room..and I was like shocked the nga even reached out like that..and I was like nah.. Nga didn't care who you were..if he fucks wit you..he fucks wit you..that's why alot cats fuck wit the lil nga...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uMoBtaS-wvg&fb_source=message
    TonyDubbz
  • TonyDubbzTonyDubbz Realest Nigga Livin' Posts: 18,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plap Star wrote: »
    the way above the rim comes on with that tupac instrumental i gotta give it to em

hgg is a good movie about a recruit and his daddy, abtr had a lot of different shit goin on

I thought I was the only one who thought that shit was tight.

Above the RIM for me, me and my bruh know that shit just about line for line.
    9yra8oazt939.jpeg

tumblr_ljhxqfJwB71qhisruo1_500.gif
    [img][/img]1377736851_tumblr_m1gwskt4Bk1qdlfp4o1_500.gif

Sho’nuff: Am I the meanest?
    Sho’nuff ‘s Goons: Sho’nuff!
    Sho’nuff: Am I the prettiest?
    Sho’nuff: Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town?
    Sho’nuff: Well who am I?
    Sho’nuff: Who am I?
    Sho’nuff: I can’t hear you…
    clairvoyanceSolitary Soldier
  • clairvoyanceclairvoyance Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plap Star wrote: »

"i couldnt help but notice your pain"

"my pain?"

"it runs deep share it with me"

Solitary Soldier
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 66,126 Regulator
  • S.jR.S.jR. "Living, breathing exigent circumstances." Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above the Rim

"WE'RE THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS. WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANT."
    10570435_10103232614376722_6086742564516233579_n.jpg
    "IF THE 49ERS SUCCESS OFFENDS YOU, SO BE IT!"

10371374_10152913129041614_9155465309841425967_n.jpg?oh=84e75d26c3266f1962eb602a4bf6c44f&oe=54D5DBD1
    Bulls / Yankees / Gators / 49ers / UCF Alum
  • MR.CJMR.CJ Posts: 63,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tupac>>>>Denzel
    Focal Point_Menace_
  • HarlemThumzUpHarlemThumzUp Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La La in HGG is goat!!
    focus
  • real_hh_repreal_hh_rep Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Tupac>>>>Denzel

Really?
    Denzel was robbed of Oscar nod for He Got Game. It's much deeper movie talking sport politics, problem of blacks lured by money and greed in capitalist world and son-father relationship in one movie, while ATR was below average drama centered around win or loose basketball theme. There is no competition here and honestly Pac's cartoonish role was his worst in career.

freshb651truth_juiceMR.CJ
  • S2JS2J Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard ot compare the 2

Above the Rim has comedy and lines i still use to this day.

"Boontz! Winner gets mad, crazy...boontz!"
    "A one on bum. Yo this goin down in history"
    "Mama rockin back n forth talkin bout Ol Shep, Ol Shep...yo i cant believe my brother this fukin WEAK!"

one question that may never be answered is how/why did they have a bball court on the edge of a rooftop.

• CymicaldaneCymicaldane The Danish OG Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATR any day. As good as HGG is, i liked ATR more. Also i have a soft spot for White men cant jump
    The one and only truly original Danish poster on the IC
    a-tribe-called-quest-o.gif GIFSoup