DC comic suggestions.

CainCain Admin, Moderator, also FDBCyttorax DimensionPosts: 28,116 Regulator
I'm strictly Marvel when it comes to comics but I'm thinking about trying DC. What are some good titles I should check out?

Replies

• ShencotheMCShencotheMC KING Posts: 23,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How far back you trynna go? You want the current shit or you want some historic stuff?
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher One Cold Ass Honkey It's Cold, AlaskaPosts: 25,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Your going for current titles try any of these:

Aquaman
    Batman
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Justice League
    Swamp Thing
    Detective Comics
    Talon
    Justice League Dark
    Flash
    Cain
    Animal Man
    Suicide Squad
    Nightwing
    Batman and Robin

are all pretty cool too.
    Cain
  • indyman87indyman87 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Read the old dc universe first. my pics- the New Teen Titans ( 1980 ) #1, #2 (first appearance of Deathstroke) through # 44 for the Judas Contract storyline. The title changes to Tales of the New Teen Titans with # 41. The Judas contract storyline features Deathsroke and Terra and concludes in tales of the New Teen Titans Annual # 2. For more bang for the buck get The New Teen Titans # 1-4 (1984). These issues features George perez best artwork IMO and I'm pretty sure you can get all issues for under $5.00 bucks!
    Cain
  • nujerz84nujerz84 Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick up some Batman Graphic Novels.. Batman has arguable the GOAT Graphic Novel Catalog...
    Cain
  • CainCain Admin, Moderator, also FDB Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 28,116 Regulator
    I thinking about.......

Nightwing

JLA

I like the artwork on those two
  • CainCain Admin, Moderator, also FDB Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 28,116 Regulator
    How far back you trynna go? You want the current shit or you want some historic stuff?

I'm going with current books not trying to start over like that.

• ShencotheMCShencotheMC KING Posts: 23,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cain1 wrote: »

I'm going with current books not trying to start over like that.

It's some real good shit in the new 52 plus a lot of the continuities are changed up so that's your best bet.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/The_New_52

I suggest all of the bat family books, Justice League books, Green Lantern titles, Flash, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, Firestorm is straight, Grifter, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Earth 2, Talon, and any other character on the list you're interested in. There are some straight bullshit titles in the new 52 though I won't lie, but for the most part it's been straight. Few complaints here and there
    Cain1 wrote: »
    I thinking about.......

Nightwing

JLA

I like the artwork on those two

They got Justice League and the JLA comic is coming out soon, JLA is a different lineup of heroes tho but both are done by Geoff Johns and the art looks dope on both of them.

Justice League is probably one of my favorite titles so far. Batman, Talon, Aquaman, and Green Lantern are faves as well.
  • earth two supermanearth two superman ladies please dont fight. E2S is here all night! Posts: 15,988 Regulator
    DC Comics:

definitely justice league. its the backbone of DC right now.

aquaman to rid yourself of the stereotype hes wack.

batman and batman and robin. the 2 most important books in the current storyline Death of The Family. Batgirl is also decent. Nightwing is too. The best Nightwing stories are the ones from years ago. Look for some where his costume is blue and black.

animal man and swamp thing have a good storyline going on too.

green arrow has been shit since the beginning. Start with issue 17. It has a new writer Jeff Lemire and its super easy to get into. In one issue its already great.

the superman books are a little confusing right now. you get better superman adventures with justice league. A new JL book is about to start in 2 weeks with catwoman, martian manhunter, and the new arabic Green Lantern.

Ive heard good things about flash and wonder woman, but i havent read either

Talon is pretty good too. but to get the full effect of his history, read the batman run from the beginning, when batman faced the court of owls. talon is a former member and now hes on the run from them.

Unjustice is the book leading up to the new DC fighting game. The story is EXCELLENT so far.

non dc universe dc books:

he man is getting rebooted with DC. theyre retelling his origin and starting new adventures.

django unchained has a good comic adapation, but dont read until youve seen the movie. it has spoilers.

Jeff Lemire whos writing green arrow right now just finished a run on a series called sweet tooth. its an apocalypse tale where kids are developing animal features like horns and snouts.

before watchmen is cool too, if you liked watchmen or saw the movie. My favorite books are the Ozymandias and the Rorshach ones.

thats enough to start i guess.

DC Comics:

definitely justice league. its the backbone of DC right now.

aquaman to rid yourself of the stereotype hes wack.

batman and batman and robin. the 2 most important books in the current storyline Death of The Family. Batgirl is also decent. Nightwing is too. The best Nightwing stories are the ones from years ago. Look for some where his costume is blue and black.

animal man and swamp thing have a good storyline going on too.

green arrow has been shit since the beginning. Start with issue 17. It has a new writer Jeff Lemire and its super easy to get into. In one issue its already great.

the superman books are a little confusing right now. you get better superman adventures with justice league. A new JL book is about to start in 2 weeks with catwoman, martian manhunter, and the new arabic Green Lantern.

Ive heard good things about flash and wonder woman, but i havent read either

Talon is pretty good too. but to get the full effect of his history, read the batman run from the beginning, when batman faced the court of owls. talon is a former member and now hes on the run from them.

Unjustice is the book leading up to the new DC fighting game. The story is EXCELLENT so far.

non dc universe dc books:

he man is getting rebooted with DC. theyre retelling his origin and starting new adventures.

django unchained has a good comic adapation, but dont read until youve seen the movie. it has spoilers.

Jeff Lemire whos writing green arrow right now just finished a run on a series called sweet tooth. its an apocalypse tale where kids are developing animal features like horns and snouts.

before watchmen is cool too, if you liked watchmen or saw the movie. My favorite books are the Ozymandias and the Rorshach ones.

thats enough to start i guess.

Man i bought Green arrow since issue one and i dont know why the fuck i did it. I just got 17 and it is better than anything before it. I was just about to get rid of this shit too.

Co sign what you said about supes tho. I have all the issues but i stopped reading at 12. im about to start he'l on earth this weekend.

• earth two supermanearth two superman ladies please dont fight. E2S is here all night! Posts: 15,988 Regulator
    edited February 2013
    superman got hurt the worse from the new 52. i still dont understand why his marriage had to be erased like that. Honestly i wouldve preferred lois lane died or something lol. a divorce wouldve made more sense, since thats the direction that it was going towards the end of the old DC.

he'l on earth has been decent though.

i also hate what they did with Tim Drake.
  • KameKame Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justice League Beyond is pretty good if you were a fan of batman beyond... goes into a lot more detail into what happened after the League of the tv series
  • BroddieBroddie I love pussy; but never the bitch that it's attached to. NYCPosts: 3,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Justice League is pretty terrible. I don't give a shit if it's the "backbone" of the New 52 the book feels like a waste of time everytime I've read it. These are the only DC ongoings I'm really feeling right now and therefore the ones I'd recommend:

Action Comics
    Superman (finally decent with the new creative team)
    Superman Family Adventures (great for those who like fun all ages comics that aren't ever super serious)
    Batman Inc
    Batman & Robin
    Detective Comics
    Red Hood & the Outlaws
    The Flash
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Justice League Dark
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    I, Vampire
    Demon Knights
    Dial H
    All-Star Western
    Earth 2
    World's Finest

Everything else is either pretty forgettable or just not good at all.
    Just Picked up Justice League of America, and Vibe ofer the weekend. Both started cool. JLA didnt have much except give the reasoning why this team needs to exist, and why each member was Chosen. Looking forward to new issues coming out.