Do You Agree: Artists Aeed at Least one Legendary Mixtape and their Career Should Start from There

AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankananPosts: 25,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
so im reading the hiphopdx editiorial on GRODT and i found this quote.

But for right now, I think artists need to come with at least one legendary mixtape upon arrival, and their career should start from there. That mixtape should be treated as an album and given for free so that the people can really decide—gladiator style.
-Sha Money XL
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editorials/id.2027/title.get-rich-or-die-tryin-ten-years-later-the-q-a

do you agree that this is the business model for today? that you have to have a successful, album like mixtape or independent album before breaking into the mainstream?
32DaysOfInfiniti
«1

Replies

  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan Posts: 25,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    naw

    Is there any successful artist right without one?
  • nex ginnex gin Keep It Simple Stupid Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I disagree. Shit sounds stupid to me. All I care about is whether they put out good music or not. If it's good, I have no problem paying for it. Rap gotta be the only genre of music where nigguhs try to justify giving their work away for free. All they're doing is devaluing themselves and their craft imo. I would rather have 1 classic album over 10 free weed plates. I can understand if you are a no name artist trying to get your name out there, but wtf are established mult-platinum artists dropping mixtapes for? Even still.....what's wrong w/ a "up and comer" charging $3-$5 for their artistic work? Hell....get something for it even if its a $1. Some of these rappers have more damn mixtapes than they do actual albums. Shit doesn't make sense to me. When was the last time the Rolling Stones, U2 or Michael Jackson (rip) dropped an official free mixtape?
    ROZAYTABERNACLE
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Posts: 25,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan Posts: 25,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nex gin wrote: »
    I disagree. Shit sounds stupid to me. All I care about is whether they put out good music or not. If it's good, I have no problem paying for it. Rap gotta be the only genre of music where nigguhs try to justify giving their work away for free. All they're doing is devaluing themselves and their craft imo. I would rather have 1 classic album over 10 free weed plates. I can understand if you are a no name artist trying to get your name out there, but wtf are established mult-platinum artists dropping mixtapes for? Even still.....what's wrong w/ a "up and comer" charging $3-$5 for their artistic work? Hell....get something for it even if its a $1. Some of these rappers have more damn mixtapes than they do actual albums. Shit doesn't make sense to me. When was the last time the Rolling Stones, U2 or Michael Jackson (rip) dropped an official free mixtape?

    I agree with some of what u said but completely different genres, business models and times, you can't make a good comparison
  • StewStew Im In My Permanent PRhyme We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 34,616 Regulator
    nex gin wrote: »
    I disagree. Shit sounds stupid to me. All I care about is whether they put out good music or not. If it's good, I have no problem paying for it. Rap gotta be the only genre of music where nigguhs try to justify giving their work away for free. All they're doing is devaluing themselves and their craft imo. I would rather have 1 classic album over 10 free weed plates. I can understand if you are a no name artist trying to get your name out there, but wtf are established mult-platinum artists dropping mixtapes for? Even still.....what's wrong w/ a "up and comer" charging $3-$5 for their artistic work? Hell....get something for it even if its a $1. Some of these rappers have more damn mixtapes than they do actual albums. Shit doesn't make sense to me. When was the last time the Rolling Stones, U2 or Michael Jackson (rip) dropped an official free mixtape?

    "But for right now, I think artists need to come with at least one legendary mixtape upon arrival, and their career should start from there"
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with this.
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Naw, mixtape is a big part of the reason why hiphop is so watered down to me. Hiphop is the only genre where fans feel entitled to free shit, mixtapes are backwards hustling to me, why am i gonna pay for shit you're conditioning me to get it for free.

    There is a reason why i generally buy Kanye, Jay, Nas, Outkast albums, because they barely put out music and when they do it's quality. Give me a chance to miss you.
    ohhhlanex ginMeta_Consciousvslyke
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    naw

    Is there any successful artist right without one?

    gucci mane
    waka flocka
    trinidad james
    future
    the whole good music roster
    nikki minaj
    currency

    legendary is a big word to use maybe if they said dope or consistent
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan Posts: 25,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    naw

    Is there any successful artist right without one?

    gucci mane
    waka flocka
    trinidad james
    future
    the whole good music roster
    nikki minaj
    currency

    legendary is a big word to use maybe if they said dope or consistent

    All of those have standout mixtapes and/ or aren't successful in the mainstream which was the context of Sha Money”s quote
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan Posts: 25,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should proLl provide a better context to this quote: we are talking about artists in the post 50 Cent post Lil Wayne world making it in the mainstream.
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Posts: 25,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Naw, mixtape is a big part of the reason why hiphop is so watered down to me. Hiphop is the only genre where fans feel entitled to free shit, mixtapes are backwards hustling to me, why am i gonna pay for shit you're conditioning me to get it for free.

    There is a reason why i generally buy Kanye, Jay, Nas, Outkast albums, because they barely put out music and when they do it's quality. Give me a chance to miss you.

    how is putting out good music for free watering down the genre?
    and indie groups give away music all the time... thats how they build a fan base and get ppl to their shows...
  • O.G.O.G. PSYCHO ALPHA DISCO BETA BIO AQUA DO LOOP Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality>>>>quanity

    i would rather wait 3 years and hear the best you got than have you drop lackluster rhymes over recycled beats every 3 months.
  • PlanetillAdPlanetillAd Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    I mean it helps, and in all honesty it seems to be the way the industry is going.

    I mean Drake had dropped Comeback Season & So Far Gone before the industry got hip to him

    J Cole had acclaimed mixtapes prior to the Roc Nation deal

    Big Krit had tapes

    2 Chainz had Codeine Cowboy

    Meek Mill had Flamers 1, 2 & 3 & Mr. Philadelphia. All of them mixtapes allowed him to put Philly/DE/Jersey on smash before Ross came and scooped him up.

    Asap Rocky made a movement off tapes.

    I mean this seems to be the way to get urself on in all honesty. The day of getting deals spitting in front of A&Rs, or having a show stealing guest feature verses *Like AZ on Life's a Bitch or Freeway on 1-900-Hustler* are over. U got to put in work, and build a fan base. Best way to do that is by putting out a body work that shows your a viable artist.

  • PlanetillAdPlanetillAd Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Not to mention, the days of getting on a Big Mike tape, Kay Slay tape, Dj Clue tape or Whoo Kid tape and spitting freestyles or getting your song played is over.

    Yall really have no fucking idea how hard it is to get on or get a deal these days.




    JD ERA ft Gun Play Smoking Good

    ^^^ Check out this song my nigga JD ERA dropped. Gun Play gave him a verse because he fucked wit the song.




    Raekwon feat JD ERA Soldiers Story!!

    Somebody tell me my nigga JD ERA not the nicest nigga out of Toronto!!!!
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didn't get put on to kendrick till section 80 and that was an album so i think he did it without. I think that fact the majority of rappers like cole krit big sean etc. had to put out multiple mixtapes to get deals kinda sucks for the music. I wish rappers could save top song from way too much music on the come up and be able to use it for their first album. But its hard to sign a nigga without hearing a sample i guess. I do think niggas need to stop making mixtapes after they get on tho.
    vslyke
  • nex ginnex gin Keep It Simple Stupid Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    nex gin wrote: »
    I disagree. Shit sounds stupid to me. All I care about is whether they put out good music or not. If it's good, I have no problem paying for it. Rap gotta be the only genre of music where nigguhs try to justify giving their work away for free. All they're doing is devaluing themselves and their craft imo. I would rather have 1 classic album over 10 free weed plates. I can understand if you are a no name artist trying to get your name out there, but wtf are established mult-platinum artists dropping mixtapes for? Even still.....what's wrong w/ a "up and comer" charging $3-$5 for their artistic work? Hell....get something for it even if its a $1. Some of these rappers have more damn mixtapes than they do actual albums. Shit doesn't make sense to me. When was the last time the Rolling Stones, U2 or Michael Jackson (rip) dropped an official free mixtape?

    "But for right now, I think artists need to come with at least one legendary mixtape upon arrival, and their career should start from there"

    Read the line immediately after the one you highlighted. I don't agree w/ any artist accepting a business model where they are constantly giving away their product for free. That's hustling ass backwards. While they're out here giving away their music, there is somebody else somewhere charging a small fee for their music.
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Naw, mixtape is a big part of the reason why hiphop is so watered down to me. Hiphop is the only genre where fans feel entitled to free shit, mixtapes are backwards hustling to me, why am i gonna pay for shit you're conditioning me to get it for free.

    There is a reason why i generally buy Kanye, Jay, Nas, Outkast albums, because they barely put out music and when they do it's quality. Give me a chance to miss you.

    There was a great article on the bolded that I read about a month or so ago where the writer was going in on hiphop artists w/ that very argument. The last few mixtapes that I downloaded ended up being better than or just as good as the artist's album. Hell I would've paid $10 for the mixtape given the quality, but the nigguh gave it away for free. They out here giving away dope tracks for free like that's a sound business model? On the flip side, I have downloaded some mixtapes and regretted wasting my time and bandwidth after listening to them. I would rather wait for a dope album than to be bombarded w/ bullshit that will most likely end up in my recycle bin.
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    naw

    Is there any successful artist right without one?

    gucci mane
    waka flocka
    trinidad james
    future
    the whole good music roster
    nikki minaj
    currency

    legendary is a big word to use maybe if they said dope or consistent

    All of those have standout mixtapes and/ or aren't successful in the mainstream which was the context of Sha Money”s quote

    i see legendary in the quote not standout. we can sit hear and name a lot of rappers with standout tapes maybe i need to read the full article to get the context. And they all somewhat successful in the mainstream to me. guess it depends on what you want to call successful.
  • PlanetillAdPlanetillAd Posts: 157 ✭✭✭


    ^^^ Raekwon feat JD ERA A Toast

    My nigga JD ERA is a prime example of a nigga having to give HEAT OUT FOR FREE. Just because the labels want to be idiots and no do artist development anymore.

    The one record I posted was a free verse from Gun Play, because he fucked with the record and he wanted to jump on it. THats a favor and a hot song he could've used for a retail album. But due to the expectations of fans, clamoring for hot free shit, he has to exhaust them songs for free material. It does hurt the artist in the long run.
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan Posts: 25,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    naw

    Is there any successful artist right without one?

    gucci mane
    waka flocka
    trinidad james
    future
    the whole good music roster
    nikki minaj
    currency

    legendary is a big word to use maybe if they said dope or consistent

    All of those have standout mixtapes and/ or aren't successful in the mainstream which was the context of Sha Money”s quote

    i see legendary in the quote not standout. we can sit hear and name a lot of rappers with standout tapes maybe i need to read the full article to get the context. And they all somewhat successful in the mainstream to me. guess it depends on what you want to call successful.

    At least gold selling/fully mainstream
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh well if that's the standard of success than this could be true
  • nawledge_godnawledge_god Gif Game Proper Chiraq RefugeePosts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid/Classic Debut >>>> "Legendary" Mixtape
    vslykeROZAYTABERNACLEStew
  • optimisticoptimistic Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭
    i think there should be a dope single then a follow up to show ur legit then an album
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.